• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drakengard 3 |OT| This Silence Is Mine

finch

It's not the crazy camera, it's not the notes in rapid succession (though both gave me a little trouble), it's the tempo dropping off the face of the Earth at the end. I have a hard time pulling that when it's just slow, but it stops me in my tracks when it slows down so quickly. Otherwise the entire thing isn't much more difficult than a Rhythm Heaven level.

I loved the entire game except when the engine collapsed on itself in a few places and the characters wouldn't stop whining about killing the same thing over and over. It went from slightly amusing to irritating to really obnoxious pretty quickly. The weapon thing for path D was a little annoying, but no more so than Nier, and definitely not as bad as the first Drakengard.
I'm venturing into hippie asshole artist territory, but Taro's point about the player's emotion being more important than story or gameplay was pretty relevant to me. I'll remember more how i felt by the end of the game than anything else, and over all but a few games.
i didn't tear up at the part before, leading into, and directly after Grotesqueries Queen Zero, i was sobbing. I can get emotional over dumb video games, but that's the most emotional i've gotten, appropriately over one of the dumbest video games that i thoroughly enjoyed.

Clov

I finally, finally beat this game a few hours ago. What an experience. Often frustrating, but I'm glad I cleared it.

Anyone know when the DLC that lets you play stories from the other Intoners will be available to purchase? I want to at least try out One's.

Noi

g62lYIb.png

Amen. Really wish that the DLC was out right now while I'm stuff on a high with the game. Taking too long!

Clov

So do the two previous games + Nier need to be played before this one?

Not really, but if you've played the first Drakengard you might catch a few references. One of the weapons is from Nier as well, I think. You can enjoy and understand the game just fine on its own though.

What's a good spot/method for a 100 hit combo? It was easy in Nier.

Use a weak chakram in any area with a large group of enemies. I did it in the last verse of Chapter 5 where there is a mob of soldiers locked in a room. Kill the archers first and watch out for the spearmen and it's easy.

I did it in
Branch...B I think? Against the dolls in the forest. Just used a weak chakram and kept the combo going, more than enough enemies to get like a 130 hit combo.
I actually found this to be a much more difficult spot to do it in.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Not really, but if you've played the first Drakengard you might catch a few references. One of the weapons is from Nier as well, I think. You can enjoy and understand the game just fine on its own though.
There are some more elements from Nier as well like
the disciples turning into birds which you see near the end of Nier.
, the flower, and the forest itself. (Grimoire Nier needs to be read to understand the last one.)
Use a weak chakram in any area with a large group of enemies. I did it in the last verse of Chapter 5 where there is a mob of soldiers locked in a room. Kill the archers first and watch out for the spearmen and it's easy.

I actually found this to be a much more difficult spot to do it in.

I don't even remember getting this achievement, but I'm pretty sure I did it with the combat bracers since I almost never used the chakram. lol

Clov

There are some more elements from Nier as well like
the disciples turning into birds which you see near the end of Nier.
, the flower, and the forest itself. (Grimoire Nier needs to be read to understand the last one.)

I still haven't read Grimoire Nier, I should get on that soon. I forgot about the flower, it does look a bit like a Lunar Tear, doesn't it?

Having cleared this game, I honestly just want more of it. More of Yoko Taro's work! His games are certainly flawed, but he has such strange and interesting characters in them. I really hope that we end up getting a Drakengard 4 or a Nier 2 at some point. How well did this game sell in Japan, again?

PirateKing

This game is disappointing. I've been hyped since initial reveal, and I'm shattered. It neither has Nier feels nor Drakengard crazy. I don't even know if I should go for Branch D.

Tapejara

So, I'm about five hours in, on my way
to kill lady four
and I'm absolutely in love with this game. It's so...unique?. I love the writing, the characters are great and the combat system, while not too deep is plenty of fun.. So far only the only problem I have with the game relates to the performance issues.

I loved Nier and only played a bit of the first Drakengard, so it's interesting to see Drakengard 3's similarties to both games while also maintaining it's own identity.

Synless

Well, it's been several weeks now since Digital River shipped me this game and it got lost in limbo because they lied to me. I'm beginning to believe I may never see this game come in the mail.

Xenoflare

Finally decided to buy this game, couldn't resist even if I watched the entire stream of it on Twitch back when the JP version was released.

Finding it was interesting.... first my local best buy said it has copies, but ended up having none. It's most likely all reserved.

I found it at my local EB games (Gamestop) in the end, the guy wanted to ID me but I didn't have my proper IDs with me so I didn't get a chance to buy it. My place is nearby so I grabbed my ID and went back, another cashier rang me up, and never ID'ed me.....

Anyways. The game is actually a lot of mindless fun. A lot better than Nier in terms of combat. I actually liked it over Dynasty Warriors. Even though Drakengard is the clone here.

The Nier music DLC is really good. Kinda sad that all fun tidbits like this is all paid DLC, but the rearranged tracks are amazing. Ashes of Dreams works wonders as a battle theme.

My nitpicky part is noticing that the audio mixing is kinda bad, I think people already mentioned it. The scream for Intoner mode is a lot quieter than the JP version. I remember the scream was bloody hell in that version but it's so quiet in English.

Hopefully we'll get all Intoner DLCs in one pack. Paying about $5 to each of them is a bit excessive.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Any reason why the JP voices don't work with the DLC, or did they just not pay for the DLC voices to be included with the pack?
It's a bit jarring since I played through the main game with Japanese VA.

Xenoflare

I guess the discount is you get the One DLC free, but that one sucks.

Yep.
My favorite one is Two and Four's. For Two, it shows her why she went batshit insane. For Four, it shows her true, reprehensible nature.

I'll be buying it for sure.... knowing myself. It's kinda of sad.

oni_saru

$30?!! Ouch. Depending how i feel when i beat the game will determine if i buy all the dlc or wait >.<

So far it's good. I don't know how i'll like it compared to D1 or D2. I know for sure to me the dragon battles are a downgrade. I liked how in 1 & 2 i could call the dragon whenever out in the field. Also the aiming wasn't so wonky. Really do not like the dragon battles at all (just started Three's domain.)

Storywise it's gotten a couple laughs from me. This one seems to be more comedy than dark.

Tohsaka

Any reason why the JP voices don't work with the DLC, or did they just not pay for the DLC voices to be included with the pack?
It's a bit jarring since I played through the main game with Japanese VA.

Yeah, I did the same thing. It sucks that the Japanese voices don't work with the DLC, I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not so I filed a ticket with SE's customer service but they never replied.

Christhor

I almost wish it was more expensive. Even if the DLC cost $1000 I would still buy it, just to support the great Yoko. Either way, excited to get to play the DLC.

finch

I almost wish it was more expensive. Even if the DLC cost $1000 I would still buy it, just to support the great Yoko. Either way, excited to get to play the DLC.

HEH HEH, ME TOO. I'm unreasonably excited to get the DLC later today, given that there wasn't all that much in the One chapter. I liked it, but can completely understand why anyone didn't.

Which applies to the entire game, but it's interesting that the opinions are so divided between even the people that liked the original Jankengard Drakengard games. Again, i can see why, it's just such a love it or don't affair.

I still haven't read Grimoire Nier, I should get on that soon. I forgot about the flower, it does look a bit like a Lunar Tear, doesn't it?

I thought so too! I thought it looked more like the pink moonflower though, being pink and all. I kept wondering why no one brought it up before, and never even mentioned it myself. (end spoiler)
The moonflowers and Lunar Tears seemed so important in the Nier world, so I thought it might somehow be related to Zero's flower, assuming Zero was the Grotesqueries Queen.

Clov

I thought so too! I thought it looked more like the pink moonflower though, being pink and all. I kept wondering why no one brought it up before, and never even mentioned it myself. (end spoiler)
The moonflowers and Lunar Tears seemed so important in the Nier world, so I thought it might somehow be related to Zero's flower, assuming Zero was the Grotesqueries Queen.

About Zero (major spoilers)
It's very likely she's the Grotesqueries Queen, given that Accord says that Zero and the Intoners have been sealed in another dimension, and that she feels Zero is still alive. It's entirely possible, even likely, that the Watchers as we knew them from the original Drakengard all come from Zero.

As for the DLC, that's pricey! I will get it, but not right away. I need to save up a bit first.

DVCY201

Eh? I got the One DLC for free, but I still end up paying $30 to get the other Sister's DLC (2,3,4,5,0). I might as well have not gotten the bundled DLC in the first place then and just bought them all bundled for $30. Square-Enix, lol.

i'm still annoyed at square enix EU making this game dl only, refusing to buy that ersion but locked out of dlc for an import, damn SE

Terra_Ex

i'm still annoyed at square enix EU making this game dl only, refusing to buy that ersion but locked out of dlc for an import, damn SE

You can still access and purchase the content via US PSN. Sure, it's a pain and far more convoluted than it should be (certainly flies in the face of the region free approach for the console) but it does work. Whether it's worth the price considering the additional hoops you have to go through to get an import copy is another matter. I'm not really a fan of companies deliberately holding back content to sell as dlc, there's no reason this couldn't have shipped with the game for free.

I'm nearing the end (I think) of my first playthrough and am pleased to say I'm enjoying the game more as I get further into it. It's far from perfect and doesn't come close to Nier in any respect, yet I do feel an odd compulsion to play on and see how it all ends.

I've had my copy of Drakengard 3 sitting on my shelf for a while now. I imported it from America because I wanted a physical copy and I paid £40 for it (and £40 for a digital copy is just outrageous). I'm looking forward to playing it but I'm not playing it till Friday after I finished my exams.

$30 for all the DLC also seems a lot as well for all the DLC. I guess I'll make the choice if I want to drop that much on DLC depending on how much I enjoy the base game. I have no idea if I'm being cheap or not at this point or if Square Enix is just trying to milk me of all my money. Either way I'm not happy at all at how SE has dealt with the game in the west.

antibolo

Banned

DLC is not region locked, you just need to buy from an account of the same region.

It's only a problem on the Vita since you can't have multiple accounts.

finch

Did anyone try the DLC prologues? I downloaded them, loaded my clear save, and they don't show up under the DLC content on the chapter menu. Am i missing something?

Book Club: Sancity request is the worst. There's fog if I stray too far from the center of the map. Then there are tree stems that I get stuck in when trying to avoid explosions. And bc of the fog, I have to wait for enemies to get close enough to attack which kills my time. The worst quest ever!!

Anyone breeze through this one?

Astarte

Book Club: Sancity request is the worst. There's fog if I stray too far from the center of the map. Then there are tree stems that I get stuck in when trying to avoid explosions. And bc of the fog, I have to wait for enemies to get close enough to attack which kills my time. The worst quest ever!!

Breezed through every end game quest because I cheesed them with the unlimited blood outfit that you get by leveling every weapon to 4.

It was surprisingly easy when I used the chakram. The wide range really helped when it came to getting the bomb carrying guys.

Breezed through every end game quest because I cheesed them with the unlimited blood outfit that you get by leveling every weapon to 4.

Is there a list of weapons I can look at? I'm at the point where I can't buy anymore weapons from the store but I never got the chakram trophy. I only have that last book request and the third survival match left for Accords request so I thought one of those might give me my last chakram. Unless there's a bug/glitch that I'm experiencing..

It was surprisingly easy when I used the chakram. The wide range really helped when it came to getting the bomb carrying guys.

I'll try that, I've been using sword this whole time and the range that chakrams have may be more convenient for me. Thanks

Edit:
The last chakram is received from that book request I'm stuck on T_T

antibolo

Banned
The fact that the Japanese voices don't apply to the DLC prologues pretty much guarantees that I will never buy them.

Was there a final word among JP players if the DLC is remotely worth the cost? Seems like some of the sisters could have a pretty interesting chapter, while others not so much.

Top Bottom