• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamcast Coming Back 2009

Hellraizah

U.2.K. that's a VERY nice idea and a very nice project, but, knowing how forums work, you know there's gonna be a lot of non-believers. There's always some nut coming out on any given forum saying they are gonna bring back Jesus or something.

Maybe you're not full of shit, you knows, but you should post pictures, videos or something that can prove your point. 2009 is not very near, but with that project as big as this, you probably already got some stuff that you can show us to prove everything, right ?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
My Sega games minus Shenmue 1 and two Saturn games. Pal cases > US cases.

I still play my DC to this day since there are a few games I am still yet to finish.

Ain't nothin' sadder than a Sega fanboy. I know I give the Nintendo crowd all kinda shit for their nostalgia, but at least it isn't fuckin' misplaced.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Whats so sad about it? You dont have a console thats dead that you dont like or you just ignore games that arent 'now'?

Kids these days. Sheesh. One day kids will say that Sony invented gaming. :lol

'cuz there ain't nothing the Dreamcast offers that can't current consoles can't do better. New content for the DC ain't new SEGA content, after all.

Tain

'cuz there ain't nothing the Dreamcast offers that can't current consoles can't do better.

There's, uh, Jet Grind Radio and (more importantly) Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram.

And Virtua Fighter 3. And Powerstone.

I get what you're saying, though. The Dreamcast was the greatest thing around until a good 75% of its excellent exclusives were ported to more recent machines.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tain said:
There's, uh, Jet Grind Radio and (more importantly) Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram.

And Virtua Fighter 3. And Powerstone.

I get what you're saying, though. The Dreamcast was the greatest thing around until a good 75% of its excellent exclusives were ported to more recent machines.

He's saying there is no reason for the hardware to continue forward. There are more powerful machines available. Why stick with 1998 tech?

Just a quick note

Oh i am aware of the issues that is going on about how people can copy a game and put the **** on the net. But i'm gonna put a end on it, or a lock on that thing. Even tho the dreamcast Disc is GD-ROM, its kinda hard to do it, unlike the pc games, but i got some ideas on how to put a end to that.

I dont have a problem with people sharing games once the game is like 3 or 4 years old, but when a game just came out, i have a problem with that. So if someone wanna share my games like after they like 3 or 4 years old, even 2 years old, thats cool, i aint like other people who bi*** about that , but i will get at you if someone will share my game and the game just came out like, the other day or something.

So once all this dreamcast stuff goes down, if yall wanna continue to see more games for the system, you better let people know, dont share my games when they first get release

Hellraizah said:
U.2.K. that's a VERY nice idea and a very nice project, but, knowing how forums work, you know there's gonna be a lot of non-believers. There's always some nut coming out on any given forum saying they are gonna bring back Jesus or something.

Maybe you're not full of shit, you knows, but you should post pictures, videos or something that can prove your point. 2009 is not very near, but with that project as big as this, you probably already got some stuff that you can show us to prove everything, right ?

I have a game list on my site, its like 30 games on my site under the dreamcast section that mentions some information on whats coming and a list of games that i wanna see on the system. But nothing that can prove that i am lying or telling the truth. I'm just talking about it right now, nothing wrong with that.

Am i lying? No , i dont see no reason too, i am a hardcore sega fan, i wanna see more games. I plan on changing the world soon, before winter of 2007 , so soon you should see someone on tv talking about changing the world, but i guess um a few weeks later, you should see that same person talking about bringing back the dreamcast , not on the news channel of course. This is all more harder then what it sounds like, believe me. Nothing is easy in this world, so patience is the key here.

So sit back and enjoy the ride....

So the time between now and the rebirth of the Dreamcast will be longer than the time period the Dreamcast was actually out before Sega proclaimed their third-party intentions?

Tain

He's saying there is no reason for the hardware to continue forward. There are more powerful machines available. Why stick with 1998 tech?

Well, then, yeah, I agree with that.

Tain, no, I'm saying the Dreamcast already has those games -- what's the point of developing NEW software for it, when any current console can deliver a better experience? It not like it had anything special, or even a touch screen gimmick; it's just the PS2/GC/Xbox, only with crappier graphics.

I sure as hell won't argue that it doesn't have a good EXISTING library; I enjoyed the DC as much as anyone else at the time.

The DC revival idiocy is purely about Sega and Dreamcast fandom; a fetish for a name on a box.

Gen X said:
My Sega games minus Shenmue 1 and two Saturn games. Pal cases > US cases.

I still play my DC to this day since there are a few games I am still yet to finish.

Those games cost over 80 bucks right? :lol I seen headhunter the other day for 60 bucks, i was laughing at the people who work there, i was laughing all the way out the mall too. :lol :lol 60 bucks a game is a rip off big time. I 'm playing head hunter right now, its a great game, but not worth 60 dollars. No game is worth 60 bucks, even my fav ones GTA GAMES.

Lhadatt

I think you might be better off looking into working with Sega and/or Sammy's Atomiswave people to enhance the current Dreamcast spec.

I'm all for this, but you will have to do these things for your plan to make it off the ground, no matter how much money you may or may not have:

1) Sell the unit for $30, and include at least 1 game, if not 3. This is the big one.
2) Redesign the system. Make it look somewhat like the old DC, but with some new asthetics.
3) Fix the piracy crap. Fix the loophole that allows games to be pirated over the network adapter.
4) Possibly upgrade the system specs. Perhaps PowerVR has an upgraded chipset that can be easily integrated into the system, or maybe you can get a higher clocked CPU.
4) Disallow new games to run on the old DCs. This will counter the piracy stuff somewhat. If the new games depend on the upgraded specs, this will work out perfectly.
5) Price the games at most at half of what the big name games on nextgen platforms are selling for.
6) Make the controller sturdier.
7) Include the network adapter. Make online play a component of most of the new games. See if you can make some sort of XBL-like system for game matching.
8) Do NOT talk about this project again until you have a CONTRACT WITH SEGASAMMY. PERIOD. <-- VERY IMPORTANT. It might be loads of fun to spill the beans, but there are lots of things that can derail your plan if you don't already have the contract in place.

EDIT: Just to clarify 1), my idea is that you will probably want to shoot for budget gamers. If you can sell the DC for close to the same price those silly 8-in-one joysticks are going for, people will take notice and buy it.

He's saying there is no reason for the hardware to continue forward. There are more powerful machines available. Why stick with 1998 tech.

Thats bs talk right now. Unless you one of those people who hate living in the past or stuck on these new graphics type of thing, i understand, but come on now, dreamcast graphics is not dated. Its dated in the sense of the hardware being old and stuff, but really its not dated in the general sense. The hardware is not dated either, i mean i dont care for all these new stuff that is coming out.

People say xbox 1 is dated too, and its time for xbox 2, again i must laugh. Xbox 1 is still great in my opinion, and if people stilll play dreamcast , they must enjoy the graphics too. Just to name a few games that are cool on dc at the moment, speed devils, head hunter, K.I.S.S. , Spawn, Hydro Thunder, 4 Wheel Thunder.

People so caught up in all this stuff, they dont have time to see how the dreamcast is still a great system. Its good to get into the new stuff, but nothing wrong with seeing some new dreamcast titles come out either.

Lhadatt said:
I think you might be better off looking into working with Sega and/or Sammy's Atomiswave people to enhance the current Dreamcast spec.

I'm all for this, but you will have to do these things for your plan to make it off the ground, no matter how much money you may or may not have:

1) Sell the unit for $30, and include at least 1 game, if not 3. This is the big one.
2) Redesign the system. Make it look somewhat like the old DC, but with some new asthetics.
3) Fix the piracy crap. Fix the loophole that allows games to be pirated over the network adapter.
4) Possibly upgrade the system specs. Perhaps PowerVR has an upgraded chipset that can be easily integrated into the system, or maybe you can get a higher clocked CPU.
4) Disallow new games to run on the old DCs. This will counter the piracy stuff somewhat. If the new games depend on the upgraded specs, this will work out perfectly.
5) Price the games at most at half of what the big name games on nextgen platforms are selling for.
6) Make the controller sturdier.
7) Include the network adapter. Make online play a component of most of the new games. See if you can make some sort of XBL-like system for game matching.
8) Do NOT talk about this project again until you have a CONTRACT WITH SEGASAMMY. PERIOD. <-- VERY IMPORTANT. It might be loads of fun to spill the beans, but there are lots of things that can derail your plan if you don't already have the contract in place.

I am aware of all of this, trust me....Thanks for telling me again tho. :D Thats the whole point of sitting down talking. Just like war, people dont wanna talk, they just wanna blow things up and fight each other, hahaha, cant solve problems like that. So again, i aware of everything to make the dreamcast come back.

Peace....

APF

Drinky Crow said:
'cuz there ain't nothing the Dreamcast offers that can't current consoles can't do better. New content for the DC ain't new SEGA content, after all.

Exactly. Also, why waste money bringing back a console that few people will buy, when existing Dreamcast games are a rare find for the average consumer, and when next-gen consoles will be appearing before your relaunch? Why develop a GTA-style game for Dreamcast, when the real GTA is already being held back by current, more powerful hardware? If you want to make games that people will play, but with ~Dreamcast-level technology, why not develop for the PSP? If you want people to enjoy existing Dreamcast games, why not lend your support to emulator authors? (you can always develop for that platform if you have the emotional need to)

There is exactly zero sense behind this and is ultimately--if true--an unwise investment of time and money, just to get your nostalgic rocks off.

Borys

Banned
U.2.K. Tha Greate$t said:
Dreamcast Rebirth Coming 2009 by the u2knetwork, Over 500 New Games, Online play, Broadband pack in, GTA Style Games 4 Disc Sets, Information first listed in top game magz winter 2007.

Full Story, information has been updated elsewhere, this is only a large % of infomation dealing with rumors, into the truth starting 2009.

Our side projects: " Keep the Dreamcast Alive forever, its unfair for the xbox and ps3 and nintendo to continue without keeping the dreamcast continue. It died to early, our plan is to bring it back on a low but great level.

This has to be one of the biggest cons in history.

bigcon0ma.jpg

I salute your fanboism.

Buy some Xbox SEGA games, support your favourite company.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
He's saying there is no reason for the hardware to continue forward. There are more powerful machines available. Why stick with 1998 tech.

Thats bs talk right now. Unless you one of those people who hate living in the past or stuck on these new graphics type of thing, i understand, but come on now, dreamcast graphics is not dated. Its dated in the sense of the hardware being old and stuff, but really its not dated in the general sense. The hardware is not dated either, i mean i dont care for all these new stuff that is coming out.

People say xbox 1 is dated too, and its time for xbox 2, again i must laugh. Xbox 1 is still great in my opinion, and if people stilll play dreamcast , they must enjoy the graphics too. Just to name a few games that are cool on dc at the moment, speed devils, head hunter, K.I.S.S. , Spawn, Hydro Thunder, 4 Wheel Thunder.

People so caught up in all this stuff, they dont have time to see how the dreamcast is still a great system. Its good to get into the new stuff, but nothing wrong with seeing some new dreamcast titles come out either.

You're right. I just got ahold of these new F355*2 shots from the original Dreamcast. Notice the bloom lighting on the front plate? Lazy8s was right, the DC just hadn't been properly exploited.

F355-06.jpg

I also found some shots of the rumored Shenmue 3. Not for 360, mind you, but for the original DC...

holiday-day1.jpg

nitewulf

heh, why not just give the money to internal sega teams, so they could actually up the production values of their games.

bjork

dark10x said:
You're right. I just got ahold of these new F355*2 shots from the original Dreamcast. Notice the bloom lighting on the front plate? Lazy8s was right, the DC just hadn't been properly exploited.

F355-06.jpg

I also found some shots of the rumored Shenmue 3. Not for 360, mind you, but for the original DC...

holiday-day1.jpg

:lol

"It's so reeeeal"

nitewulf

dark, you just dont get it do you?
DC tech was based on string theory. the hardware that you see before you is just the representation of the console in this particular dimension. but its vortex engine is actually capable of tapping energy from other dimensions through hyperspace.

its potential is infinite, power unimaginable.

incidentally in dimension 20xz9ww it is also known simply as, "sun destroyer".

make of that what you will.

Do you even know how to program? How the heck are you going to develop 500 games for the Dreamcast? Do you know how much manpower that will take? And what programmer will want to work writing games for a dead system?

And there is no way you can stop DC piracy. Sega tried for years but couldn't do anything about it. If you want your games to be playable on all the DCs out there today, there really is nothing you can do to prevent games from being copied.

This whole thing sounds like the ramblings of someone with bipolar disorder. You sound like you are in one of the manic episodes right now, with delusions of grandeur. I also love your descriptions of your new GTA clone. How do you know it will be on 4 discs? It sounds like you already have it finished. :lol

Starfire

As a long-running Sega fanboy, this thread makes me weep, well, I'm alternating between weeping and laughing hysterically anyway.

Segaton Part Duex.

I plan on changing the world soon, before winter of 2007 , so soon you should see someone on tv talking about changing the world, but i guess um a few weeks later, you should see that same person talking about bringing back the dreamcast

Step 1:change the world
Step 2: revive Dreamcast

yeah, you're sane :lol

Why not just wipe out the competition before reviving it? I mean if you have world changing abilities, then killing sony shouldnt be too hard. :lol

goodcow

Maxwell House said:
And there is no way you can stop DC piracy. Sega tried for years but couldn't do anything about it.

The last Dreamcast's out in Japan had taken out MilCD support, and thus, squashed piracy. It took so long mainly because they were overstocked with old units that supported the MilCD format.

I'm changing the world. Bringing back the Virtual Boy! THOUSANDS of games currently in production!!! GO BLIND OR GO HOME! COMING IN 2008!

I'M RITCH BITCH, AND IN THE POSTION TO DO THIS!

bjork

Maybe hundreds of games in development is like... you know those handheld things that have "over 500 games!" in them?

Yeah. :(

Starfire

I'm bringing back Game Gear, so I'll have a 4th game to play on it!!!

I'm also making the first 200 cd PS1 game, oh, and CDI, now that deserves to be revived.

Welcome Chang3.

APF

Do a two-in-one deal and bring back the Saturn while you're at it, I never got around to playing with the thing. Or make like a super system, with compatability for all Sega's console entires.

jett said:
:lol Oh God Sega fanboys are so fucking pathetic.
:lol Yes they are. "The GREATEST TEH SYSTEM EVAR" Yes....that's why it died a year and a half after launch. I am sure a rabid Sega lover will talk about how there is still new games, but that's not the point. They stopped support for it. It flopped. Get over it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
new dreamcast games with online play? good luck finding people to play...all 4 people who have broadband adaptors

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I'm bringing back Einstein and Voltaire! Hundreds of new Theories of Relativity planned! New four volume set on philosophy!

I'M RICH I CAN DO IT

Wafflecopter said:
:lol Yes they are. "The GREATEST TEH SYSTEM EVAR" Yes....that's why it died a year and a half after launch. I am sure a rabid Sega lover will talk about how there is still new games, but that's not the point. They stopped support for it. It flopped. Get over it.

Dreamcast has great games. Can't do anything about the idiots that wouldn't give it a chance. The games were there. I'd take my dead Dreamcast over the PS2 anyday of the week.

And who cares if they stopped support for it? Or it flopped? It still provided the most memorable gaming this gen for me and many others. Couldn't have asked for more.

Too bad Sega has gone so downhill since then.

Top Bottom