• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

Since there is still no ETA on when the new tracks will come to Driveclub, here's a better look at the new Norwegian urban location, Bryggen, and this one paints a much nicer picture than the night time race i've posted yesterday, especially since that track variant was just a loop between 2 bridges and the most you could make out of the environment were a few houses and a bunch of shipping containers. This track layout's setting on the other hand looks quite charming.

Because it might take a while before the rest of us non-VR plebs get to play the new tracks, i'd like to ask those of you who have the full version of DC VR if you could record a few races on the new tracks and upload them to youtube. Personally, i'd be most interested in all 3 Chilean urban track layouts, Bryggen (Norway) 02 and 03, as well as Port of Vancouver 02 and 03, preferably set during the day. Alternatively, i'd also appreciate it if anyone could point me to already existing videos of those tracks. Thanks!

OK as requested here is me taking on Chile urban track 3 , (the name looks unpronounceable...)

https://youtu.be/VBA3gB5eLIs

I finally got on driveclub tonight (lots of family round the last two nights to try out psvr ) and there's no sickness for me :) I absolutely love it too, the graphics have taken a hit but my god it feels brilliant to be in the car in vr :) Feels tougher to nail the corners (probably just the change of viewpoint) but feeling like your in racing amongst the other cars really does add to the experience. Only had an hour on it (gonna have to make a new club too, anyone up for joining me?), done most of the first section and a quick online race (on the Indian urban track in the dark!) and I'm smitten! The tracks all seem more undulating for some reason, maybe its just the look flatter on a 2d screen but it's quite surprising how different tracks you know look (and all the bits you never noticed before you could look around ).

Here's Port of Vancouver track 1

https://youtu.be/toczJ0KRD8M

Its another tight and twisty little track, seems like therea a bit of an invisible barrier on the underside of the overpass - you'll see my ghost car bounce off it from the previous lap...

Quite a fun little track to learn tho :)

On another note, takagi(sp) hills is unbelievable in VR, feels way steeper than it does in 2D, a real roller coaster :) I've also tried comparing in car view in cinema mode in normal DC. It's a lot clearer and (for me) way better than using in car view on a TV where it feels like I'm sat in the back seat. I also did comparison runs in an RGT8 on hurrungane between VR and cinema mode DC, and I was a lot faster in VR...

OK as requested here is me taking on Chile urban track 3 , (the name looks unpronounceable...)

Here's Port of Vancouver track 1

https://youtu.be/toczJ0KRD8M

Its another tight and twisty little track, seems like therea a bit of an invisible barrier on the underside of the overpass - you'll see my ghost car bounce off it from the previous lap...

Quite a fun little track to learn tho :)

Brilliant, thank you! The Chilean track is another one that makes a much better impression on me in daylight. There's also that church we've seen in one of those first screenshots. :)

From what i've seen i'm loving the new Indian location, Norway and Japan also look beautiful and interesting, as does Chile. Port of Vancouver looks alright, but i find it visually a bit duller from the footage i've seen so far, at least the 01 layout. Mostly because a big chunk of it is set along warehouses and other industrial objects. Obviously that makes sense for a port location, but i'd like to see what routes the 02 and 03 versions take, if you get around to it. I swear i'll stop bothering you after that. :D

If i had one complaint about the new tracks it's that, like Oldtown, they're all kind of short. I would have loved some longer circuits like Kobago and Wester Ross, but i won't look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm incredibly glad we're getting these at all. Now i just hope that this apparent VR exclusivity of the new tracks won't last too long.

I found when going from monitor to vr in either assetto on the rift and now dc on psvr, you really have to make a conscious effort to turn in and brake earlier than you expect to.
Weird at 1st but once you understand then it's buisness as usual.

Side note....loving the fresh meat on dcvr multiplayer,lol

farmerboy

....and there's no sickness for me :) I absolutely love it too, the graphics have taken a hit but my god it feels brilliant to be in the car in vr :)

Look, I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. The people who don't get sick clearly haven't got a lot going on upstairs. This much is true.

Me and #1 defender are clearly the brains here.

^Also fresh meat. LOL.

After some snooping i found out that the Chilean city is Iquique. I've noticed this ship along the track:

museo-corbeta-esmeral71ssk.jpg

Another nice location the team at Evo chose is Bryggen, which is the wharf of the city of Bergen in Norway:

I'm clueless about what location India's Ashii is based on, i couldn't find any cities in India with that name, only lots of people with the same name. XD I guess it could be just the name of a district in a well known Indian city, like how Bryggen isn't the name of the city itself.

Dcvr gaffers should get on together for a session...how about it eh?

That includes you Rushy! :p

I'm up for it but it'll poll be next week now.

So gaffers with DCVR that I know of so far...

AnythingBut
GoldenCrow
Abandoned Trolley
PDogg
Meruni?

Who else have we got?

After some snooping i found out that the Chilean city is Iquique. I've noticed this ship along the track:

Another nice location the team at Evo chose is Bryggen, which is the wharf of the city of Bergen in Norway:

I'm clueless about what location India's Ashii is based on, i couldn't find any cities in India with that name, only lots of people with the same name. XD I guess it could be just the name of a district in a well known Indian city, like how Bryggen isn't the name of the city itself.

Yeah the tracks are small, I've actually been picking the longest & most complicated for the visa I posted - hopefully I'll be able to get on it again later and posthe some more. So how the hell do you pronounce that Chilean track?

Look, I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. The people who don't get sick clearly haven't got a lot going on upstairs. This much is true.

^Also fresh meat. LOL.

Lol I think some of us are just built for speed whilst others get nosebleeds when driving their tractor to quickly ;-)

As for fresh meat, yeah there seems to be a lot of less experienced players on, I was 6th on the leader boards on my first attempt at the kyle event and I bloody hate the kyle!

Yeah the tracks are small, I've actually been picking the longest & most complicated for the visa I posted - hopefully I'll be able to get on it again later and posthe some more. So how the hell do you pronounce that Chilean track?

Acoording to Wikipedia, it's ee-kee-kay.

I've seen someone race on one of the Chilean tracks with an Mercedes AMG and it took him 33 seconds to do a lap. :O Still, i'm not going to be ungrateful, new tracks are new tracks and the environments look really cool, so it's all good.

Right on!

Lol I think some of us are just built for speed whilst others get nosebleeds when driving their tractor to quickly ;-)

Actually, i think you might have a point there, as i also grew up on a farm. I never got nosebleeds driving a tractor though! XD

Acoording to Wikipedia, it's ee-kee-kay.

I've seen someone race on one of the Chilean tracks with an Mercedes AMG and it took him 33 seconds to do a lap. :O Still, i'm not going to be ungrateful, new tracks are new tracks and the environments look really cool, so it's all good.

Right on!

Actually, i think you might have a point there, as i also grew up on a farm. I never got nosebleeds driving a tractor though! XD

Eekeekay... OK that works :) Lol about the tractor hehe

Anyway here's the 3 Bryggen tracks in the forward direction. Ive recorded a few laps on each with a sighter first lap to then trying to go a bit quicker.

https://youtu.be/9CLa0TrH7wc

https://youtu.be/UilPjm-Tdxk

https://youtu.be/YS8bWNOu8uA

Eekeekay... OK that works :) Lol about the tractor hehe

Anyway here's the 3 Bryggen tracks in the forward direction. Ive recorded a few laps on each with a sighter first lap to then trying to go a bit quicker.

https://youtu.be/9CLa0TrH7wc

https://youtu.be/UilPjm-Tdxk

https://youtu.be/YS8bWNOu8uA

Awesome, you're a bro! Bryggen looks absolutely lovely, and seems like it's quite tricky too. Even the 03 layout, which was the first glimpse i've had of Bryggen, looks quite nice during daytime, when you can actually see your surroundings. Can't wait to get my hands on these. I guess they didn't want to stela DC VR's thunder at launch, but hopefully it won't take too long for the tracks to come to OG DC. :)

In the meantime, since i have nothing better to do today, i've been trying to find out what city in India Ashii is based on. For that purpose, i've been researching Indian mountain forts for the last hour and it looks like the closest match is Mehrangarh fort in Jodhpur, a.k.a. the blue city:

Obviously it's not an exact match, but i could definitely see Ashii being inspired by Jodhpur.

P.S.: Regarding my earlier complaints about the length of these tracks, it just occured to me why that could be. After all, we're getting 3 track layouts this way, when they could have just stitched together one really long track from these routes and been done with it. In the end i think i prefer what we got. Either way, hats off to the gals and guys at Evolution, these are great additions to an already fantastic collection of tracks in Driveclub. I'm looking forward to what they will accomplish at Codemasters.

Denur

After a few dozen events DriveClub VR is growing on me, or rather, getting familiar again to the DriveClub gamepaly. Mostly because I'm getting used to the VR set and how to keep it in focus. Also nice to see a few gaffers in the results.

I'm playing regular DriveClub and am completely lost on how to drift. How do you drift??

Drive fast, do a slight swerve to the opposite direction of your intended drift, then quickly swerve back and tap the handbrake (circle by default), while holding the analog stick into the direction the corner is going. If your tail is breaking out too much and you're starting to turn sideways during the drift, countersteer. You can also control the drift a bit by adding or subtracting the right amount of gas during it. In general, you will earn more points for drifts at a steep angle at high speed. The less your car turns sideways during the drift, the better.

Here's a random drift video of mine to give you a visual aid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTsIFl7gI98

It's an average attempt and i messed up a couple of corners a bit, but it was still more than enough to beat the target score.

If you're thinking about using drifting in races, i would recommend not to do that, as it will most often slow you down. Reducing your speed slightly and trying to hit the apex of corners is usually the better choice.

Denur

The DCVR passenger mode in replays is an awesome addition. The avatar looks great, but mine could use a shave. Drifting in hardcore mode with a wheel feels so much more natural. Love it.

karasu

Drive fast, do a slight swerve to the opposite direction of your intended drift, then quickly swerve back and tap the handbrake (circle by default), while holding the analog stick into the direction the corner is going. If your tail is breaking out too much and you're starting to turn sideways during the drift, countersteer. You can also control the drift a bit by adding or subtracting the right amount of gas during it. In general, you will earn more points for drifts at a steep angle at high speed. The less your car turns sideways during the drift, the better.

Here's a random drift video of mine to give you a visual aid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTsIFl7gI98

It's an average attempt and i messed up a couple of corners a bit, but it was still more than enough to beat the target score.

If you're thinking about using drifting in races, i would recommend not to do that, as it will most often slow you down. Reducing your speed slightly and trying to hit the apex of corners is usually the better choice.

That helped a lot. Thanks. I was mostly asking because there are drift events in the tour that I've been pretty much avoiding the whole time.

AnythingBut
GoldenCrow
Abandoned Trolley
PDogg
Meruni?

Who else have we got?

As for fresh meat, yeah there seems to be a lot of less experienced players on, I was 6th on the leader boards on my first attempt at the kyle event and I bloody hate the kyle!

I'm in the DCVR club too. Friggin amazing. If the PS4 pro can up the resolution i'm in racing heaven. No going back to 2D screens.

In the meantime, since i have nothing better to do today, i've been trying to find out what city in India Ashii is based on. For that purpose, i've been researching Indian mountain forts for the last hour and it looks like the closest match is Mehrangarh fort in Jodhpur, a.k.a. the blue city:

Obviously it's not an exact match, but i could definitely see Ashii being inspired by Jodhpur.

Looks like you were right :)

https://youtu.be/a49Jo5_sDFE

I'd forgotten about group chat being recorded so you have a bonus discussion about VR between Ainsz and I on here...

It is a damn cool car, and VR really makes you notice all the little features of the cars that the original game had but mostly went unseen - like the mad gear lever in the Lykan that I noticed on the Bryggen video or even the internal bracing on the FXX that I kept thinking I was gonna bang my head on!

Thanks for the video! It certainly looks similar and was the best match regarding Indian cities built around mountain forts that i could find, but has it been confirmed that it's based on Jodhpur? I tweeted Rushy about it the other day, but didn't get a reply.

Edit: Nevermind, Rushy confirmed it to me just now. :)

Could you do Port of Vancouver 02 and 03 when you have the time? I don't think i've seen those in any of the dozens of streams i have checked over the weekend. There's also one in Chile that i still haven't seen, not sure if it's 01 or 02. Other than the one you've posted (03), i've seen one that is really short (around 30 seconds long with a slower class of cars) and passes by that sailing ship, but i couldn't make out the track number on streams. I've seen plenty enough of all the other ones by now though. :)

The DCVR passenger mode in replays is an awesome addition. The avatar looks great, but mine could use a shave. Drifting in hardcore mode with a wheel feels so much more natural. Love it.

It freaked me out the first time I looked round and saw someone sitting next to me!

I'm in the DCVR club too. Friggin amazing. If the PS4 pro can up the resolution i'm in racing heaven. No going back to 2D screens.

It's brilliant isn't it :) There's so much stuff to play on PSVR but I can't stop playing DCVR, the games got its claws into me again :)

AnythingBut
GoldenCrow
Abandoned Trolley
PDogg
Meruni?

Who else have we got?

I'd certainly be up for a session with you guys, (sorry for the delay, finally had ban lifted today)

I've reached out to Rushy and he's claiming hardware issues but does anyone get headset drift in the game to the point that you are sitting 90 degrees away from where you started? Even using the Option button reset doesn't fix it. Only way seems to be to turn the headset off and back on.

Will be interesting to see what the changes the Pro will make, Rushy said there are some changes, native resolution would be ideal!

Could you do Port of Vancouver 02 and 03 when you have the time? I don't think i've seen those in any of the dozens of streams i have checked over the weekend. There's also one in Chile that i still haven't seen, not sure if it's 01 or 02. Other than the one you've posted (03), i've seen one that is really short (around 30 seconds long with a slower class of cars) and passes by that sailing ship, but i couldn't make out the track number on streams. I've seen plenty enough of all the other ones by now though. :)

Righto, I'll see what I can do tonight :)

I'd certainly be up for a session with you guys, (sorry for the delay, finally had ban lifted today)

I've reached out to Rushy and he's claiming hardware issues but does anyone get headset drift in the game to the point that you are sitting 90 degrees away from where you started? Even using the Option button reset doesn't fix it. Only way seems to be to turn the headset off and back on.

Will be interesting to see what the changes the Pro will make, Rushy said there are some changes, native resolution would be ideal!

I've not seen any issues with drift at all so it does sound like a hardware issue like rushy says :-(

I should imagine the pro version will supersample which I can see making a huge improvement.

Are we dcvr gaffers going to jump in a club together then? :)

Yep, doesn't sound like my old club mates are gonna make the jump so I'm in too - so have you got any name suggestions? My club has the incredibly inventive Driveclu8 name at the moment...

Righto, I'll see what I can do tonight :)

I've not seen any issues with drift at all so it does sound like a hardware issue like rushy says :-(

I should imagine the pro version will supersample which I can see making a huge improvement.

Yep, doesn't sound like my old club mates are gonna make the jump so I'm in too - so have you got any name suggestions? My club has the incredibly inventive Driveclu8 name at the moment...

Having read some stuff on reddit seems sitting closer to the camera helps 6ft being ideal I was probably 10-11ft, sat on the floor and no issues. Guess I'm buying a beanbag!

Nice race with Anythingbut earlier, usual cockends trying to ram early on, few mistakes here and there, taking to to adjust to the VR.

https://youtu.be/UeQJ_Fq-t_s

Yea, that race was fun.

Well, as driveclubgaf says it's taken, i did make dcvrgaf....but i don't mind just bundling on with shannow really as i suck at designs. :D

Hey guys,

I'm not sure where to ask so I thought I'd try here. I've been trying to join the Driveclub VR Club for the last couple of days and haven't been getting a response. Any chance anyone in this thread can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

farmerboy

Looks like you were right :)

https://youtu.be/a49Jo5_sDFE

I'd forgotten about group chat being recorded so you have a bonus discussion about VR between Ainsz and I on here...

It is a damn cool car, and VR really makes you notice all the little features of the cars that the original game had but mostly went unseen - like the mad gear lever in the Lykan that I noticed on the Bryggen video or even the internal bracing on the FXX that I kept thinking I was gonna bang my head on!

Whoa, hang on there a minute, I would hardly call any discussion with Ainsz a "bonus".

Maybe a "slight inconvenience" at best.

farmerboy

Hey guys,

I'm not sure where to ask so I thought I'd try here. I've been trying to join the Driveclub VR Club for the last couple of days and haven't been getting a response. Any chance anyone in this thread can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Only 6 in a club mate, so maybe they're full! Make your own club and post it on here and you may get some to join yours.

Just wanted to let you know that i finally found someone on youtube who uploaded all the new tracks, so i'm fine now, thanks! :)

Righto, I did record some footage last night but it was running late so didn't get it uploaded - no matter tho as it's given me a chance to see the new tracks, some are really really short!

Whoa, hang on there a minute, I would hardly call any discussion with Ainsz a "bonus".

Maybe a "slight inconvenience" at best.

Ha yeah bonus was probably an over generous description thinking about it ;-)

Merun

Meruni?

Who else have we got?

Yes that's me. I may not have been playing much DC this year but couldn't pass DCVR after all the hours I put on the normal version ;). Though I don't expect to go full ham like DC and try to challenge time trials.

Btw, how does the game feels with a wheel? I'm seriously tempted to get a T500RS.

Yes that's me. I may not have been playing much DC this year but couldn't pass DCVR after all the hours I put on the normal version ;). Though I don't expect to go full ham like DC and try to challenge time trials.

Btw, how does the game feels with a wheel? I'm seriously tempted to get a T500RS.

I still need to try with my G29 not attempted it yet, but even with a pad the visual immersion is second to none.

Controller still rules. Drives fine on my T300, but I'm way faster with a controller.

Some of you may have received a challenge from me, in either of the two versions or both. This is just a little experiment I thought I'd run to see if there's any advantage (fidelity vs framerate) between them. Personally I seem to find it easier in VR now, but I'm not massively quicker. I do seem to be placing way higher up the leader boards than I used to in DC however so I'd be interested to see how peeps go on. If you want to have a go and haven't got a challenge then drop me a psn message and I'll forward you the challenge (it's a mclaren 650s on wester Ross btw)

Top Bottom