• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense Edge controller announced

Topher

Gold Member
I'm just hoping I can disable R3 and L3 after I remap to the back peddles. Don't know if it is just me, but my thumbs press down too hard on the sticks and I toggle R3/L3 all the time unintended. That's why I love my Elite Series 2. So I'm not really fussed about only two back peddles as I only use two on ES 2.

The only worry I have is the possibility that the removable thumbsticks could become loose after a while. Hopefully that is not the case.

Sorry, didn't know I needed to ask your permission to enter a thread and state my opinion.

Like anything else there is an opportunity cost - time, resources and money are put towards something like a new controller. All of that, especially the money, could be put towards the development of new games.

But hope you enjoy the controller if it's something you're actually interested in.
O boy,so you are saying that the budget that goes in developement for the controller is cutting in to the budget of the Sony developers for making the games?
Dont you think that each department, the making of new hardware and the departmant of making games do have seperate budgets and are not cutting in eachother budgets??Dude that statement makes no sence, absolutly NO sence. Think before you wright.

Last edited:
Seeing things like these elite style controllers has me missing the Razer X360 I used to use. Had a couple of additional buttons to map to, analogues with adjustable tension to loosen or tighten up travel, and lit mechanical buttons as opposed to membrane. Cost a fraction of this stuff too. Good times.

I'm just hoping I can disable R3 and L3 after I remap to the back peddles. Don't know if it is just me, but my thumbs press down too hard on the sticks and I toggle R3/L3 all the time unintended. That's why I love my Elite Series 2. So I'm not really fussed about only two back peddles as I only use two on ES 2.

The only worry I have is the possibility that the removable thumbsticks could become loose after a while. Hopefully that is not the case.

I have that issue with the Dualsense. Most noticeable when playing BF1 as I spend a bit of time randomly doing melee at inconvenient moments until I adjust

Topher

Gold Member
I have that issue with the Dualsense. Most noticeable when playing BF1 as I spend a bit of time randomly doing melee at inconvenient moments until I adjust

It drove me nuts playing Elden Ring since L3 toggles crouching. Fighting a boss and suddenly my guy crouches and gets clobbered. That alone made me swap over to the PC version of the game.

so, what is the early consensus answer regarding the effectivity of the edge "pro" controller? does it actually offer anything over the bog standard PS5 controller?

things that I would expect from a "pro" controller include reduced input latency and generally higher quality build materials, price be damned. is that what I'm looking at here, or is this just a standard unexciting controller revision? :goog_unsure:
It's an improvement for certain type of games, although 4 back paddles/buttons woulld've been better. The replaceable thumbsticks unless it is fairly cheap to replace is mostly a gimmick to me. But we'll have to see what Sony is pricing those out for.

Like others have said, the tech to rid ourselves of the dreaded stick drift exist. If this was incorporated into the controller, there wouldn't be a need to make it replaceable so I'd guess it isn't.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think these "pro" controllers are just a gimmick to make more money out of you. Wouldn't you be playing with keyboard/mouse if you were that "pro" and competitive?

More isn't necessarily better. Adding buttons and configurations and shit just complicate things. Will keep my standard, streamlined Dualsense.
Yes and no. I wanted the Elite v2 for the hair lock triggers in FPS games and the back paddles for wall bouncing in Gears. I’m no competitive gamer though, just wanted a slight edge. If I was it’d be kb&m any day.

GHG

Dude that statement makes no sence, absolutly NO sence. Think before you wright.

Side Eye Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

But there are two things I'll point you towards - departmental budget allocation and budget/project approvals. They already had a perfectly good controller.

I think these "pro" controllers are just a gimmick to make more money out of you. Wouldn't you be playing with keyboard/mouse if you were that "pro" and competitive?

More isn't necessarily better. Adding buttons and configurations and shit just complicate things. Will keep my standard, streamlined Dualsense.
I have been using these pro style controllers since the first Elite came out for Xbox and once you get used to those back paddles for games like COD you wont go back

Being an older gamer now at 55 I can tell you it took quite awhile to get used to those back paddles

For the first month maybe I was taking a beating and wanted to give up trying to rewire my old brain

But now I wouldn't play a shooter any other way

Side note I remember letting my young nephew try the Elite (was probably 10 at the time) and his young brain took to those back paddles almost instantly

If someone buys this Edge controller and uses back paddles for the first time dont give up, keep practicing it will become more natural

Three

Who came up with this stupid shit?

The reason for paddles is to not have your thumbs get of the sticks. Why does this controller have two extra buttons underneath the sticks for which you actually get your thumbs off the sticks to press them. Makes zero sense.
Those buttons look like they can actually be pressed from the underside. Might just be clips though.
The buttons below the sticks labeled "Fn" are programmable buttons for like mute, volume etc.
The standard dualsense has a dedicated mute button already under the PS button. Wonder what those Fns can be programmed to.

Last edited:

Nvzman

It’s not true.
For ps5 if you remove the battery, wired connection does not work
Even if the exclusive wire option is selected in the menu? You have to specifically select the option to use the wired connection instead of just having it set to charge and still be wireless.

Tams

I had to google what that actually means and - HOLY SHIT - thanks for sharing this dude. I will never ever buy a premium priced controller that has no hall effect sensors now. Stick drift can go and eat a dick. If sony charges 200 euros upwards, they better deliver something that lasts more then 6 month. I'm already on my 3rd dualsense and that thing is a piece of trash, from a durability perspective.
Considering there is literally one single modern controller on the market at the moment with them, and the same manufacturer of said controller the only producer of kits (only for the Steam Deck atm), good luck.

Tams

Battery technology is ancient compared to everything else. I holds whole planet back.

It is holding a lot back. But you make it sound like it's easy.

Some of our species' best minds have been trying to improve it. It simply isn't easy to store energy densely. If you think it's so bad, go join the effort to improve it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

More than likely. The PS4/5 was/is very customizable for even the regular controllers in the consoles UI itself. Games will probably have remap options for it as well.

I sometimes click L3 as well, lol. Gotten much better at not doing it with the DualSense though.

Last edited:
It is holding a lot back. But you make it sound like it's easy.

Some of our species' best minds have been trying to improve it. It simply isn't easy to store energy densely. If you think it's so bad, go join the effort to improve it.
Seems like it and I've red hundreds of articles about 'new revolutionary battery tech' since early 2000's

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Even if the exclusive wire option is selected in the menu? You have to specifically select the option to use the wired connection instead of just having it set to charge and still be wireless.
yes. as far as I understand

sachos

It doesn't matter. Wire is just to charge.
The batter must keep ANY charge for controller to use wired.. I think so
Isnt there an option in the settings that makes the connection with the controller wired and not bluetooth?

HTK

Banned
We need a release date, this thing needs to drop already. I'm excited about some changes made to the shell that makes it look like they've fixed the biggest issue I have with my DualSense. Those pesky edges of the shell that poke into my pinky and after some time starts hurting my hands.

vBAxG8n.png

See how sharp those things are? Yeah, it sucks for my hands.

fdxiUFI.png

I don't have a front shot but it looks like they've improved it, also in videos of the front of the controller looks like its rounded off, thank DA LAWD.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

We need a release date, this thing needs to drop already. I'm excited about some changes made to the shell that makes it look like they've fixed the biggest issue I have with my DualSense. Those pesky edges of the shell that poke into my pinky and after some time starts hurting my hands.

vBAxG8n.png

See how sharp those things are? Yeah, it sucks for my hands.

fdxiUFI.png

I don't have a front shot but it looks like they've improved it, also in videos of the front of the controller looks like its rounded off, thank DA LAWD.
hopefully asap

jaysius

Banned
2022824859493_1.jpg

EDIT: I still don't quite understand the new buttons.we need better pictures.
Well hopefully they’re like the Elite paddles and removable/exchangable, the original paddle config of short and long are awful, I bought extra short ones off eBay so I have short short paddles, it’s much better.

Top Bottom