• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

MooSeePoo

Neo Member
miyFc.jpg

backpain-1292835351.jpg

I spoke to my dad last night and we talked about the time we downloaded DN3D shareware version over-night on my dad's 28KBPS Compuserve internet connection.

I told him that Duke Nukem forever was coming out this week and he instantly said

"Weren't you looking forward to that in 1997?! I'm sure you showed me a trailer for it?!?"

Spirit3

History got. Will be back later tonight (today) to post impressions. Watch this space. Will probably be single player only.

Got my copy yesterday, well at least I was supposed to. I was asleep at the time so got it today.

Sucks that we have to wait until the steam gods decree we can actually play it.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
MrPing1000 said:
Got my copy yesterday, well at least I was supposed to. I was asleep at the time so got it today.

Sucks that we have to wait until the steam gods decree we can actually play it.

How will this work, comes out legit in Australia tomorrow, will steam fuck other regions over until it releases in the US in 4-5 days?

MMaRsu

Banned
Roxas said:
great, a 5GB install and a day -1 patch awaits you PS3 owners..grr..

Thanks to that patch people with CFW will be able to play it, which means I can play my bought copy later next week :D.

Really really didn't want to buy it for 360, that version looks like the worst one.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
StuBurns said:
Someone said the game is only 4GB on PS3, what the fuck.

There are torrents floating around where the PS3 version is 2.68 GB, and the 360 version is 6.79 GB - 7.3 GB. Shit makes no sense.

Also, do I have to install Steamworks to play the PC version of DNF?

jns

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
How will this work, comes out legit in Australia tomorrow, will steam fuck other regions over until it releases in the US in 4-5 days?
Man, this shit better unlock at 00:01 on the friggen dot. It's bad enough we pay more for the same thing from their servers; don't you dare keep me from duke steam, don't you goddamn dare.

jns said:
Man, this shit better unlock at 00:01 on the friggen dot. It's bad enough we pay more for the same thing from their servers; don't you dare keep me from duke steam, don't you goddamn dare.

Amen brother.

jgminto

I'm getting the King Edition for 360 tomorrow. Hopefully the multiplayer holds up because I'm not expecting a great deal for the campaign.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
MooSeePoo said:
I spoke to my dad last night and we talked about the time we downloaded DN3D shareware version over-night on my dad's 28KBPS Compuserve internet connection.

I told him that Duke Nukem forever was coming out this week and he instantly said

"Weren't you looking forward to that in 1997?! I'm sure you showed me a trailer for it?!?"

haha, yes! My old man and I had the same conversation. In fact, I remember when he downloaded the shareware version from ZDNet using an AOL connection. Strangely, when I was at the ripe age of 7, we really bonded over the Duke.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Multiplayer gameplay :)

EDIT: Maybe not. Still looks like a good time though.

Listening to this English guys' formal accent juxtaposed with Duke's brute American dialect is priceless as well.

Benson

Just got my PC balls of steel edition, now to drum my fingers on the desk waiting for it to unlock. My certificate of authenticity says its number 64162, doesn't sound very limited lol.

GrayFoxPL

I'm on a sharp fence.

Either give it a chance after godawful demo and order it now or save my money.

Polish stores are sending ps3 version since yeasterday.

Riposte

What upsets me the most is that they could have called this game something else, then announce they were making the REAL Duke Nukem Forever... then never make it.

EDIT: Man, why are run n gun shooters so slow now? I wish this game was outdated.

celebi23

Here's something that I put together, while waiting for Tuesday to finally come (I'm eisnerguy1 on the Gearbox Forums)

Modified Duke Nukem Forever Windows 7 Theme

eisnerguy1 said:
I figured out how to use the Duke sounds from the old Windows 95 Plus! themes. I loaded up my Windows 95 VMWare virtual machine, installed the old themes & then I made sure I replaced the same sounds in Windows 7 as were replaced in Windows 95. I'm uploading my modified theme:

http://www.mediafire.com/?x504tj66daa585z

Oh & I'm also including 6 more desktop backgrounds (2 from the main site & 4 from the First Access Club, I hope that's ok). Let me know if there are any issues with it

If you want to complete the theme even more, add a custom Duke Nukem start orb and the Duke Nukem cursors (although, the cursors are already added)

jgminto

Riposte said:
What upsets me the most is that they could have called this game something else, then announce they were making the REAL Duke Nukem Forever... then never make it.

EDIT: Man, why are run n gun shooters so slow now? I wish this game was outdated.
But this IS the real Duke Nukem Forever. Exactly as 3DR left it!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone spend some time tweaking the PC demo? I'm kind of disappointed by the performance. It's smooth enough, but I feel that it should be a rock solid 60 fps yet there are random points where the framerate drops just enough to annoy me. It's not my rig either, as it doesn't seem to be tied to any settings. In the first room with the white board, for instance, when facing the open area, you can see slight hitches while turning in a circle. FRAPS is still reporting 60 fps, so it's not really slowdown, but it looks like it. This problem exists whether I'm using the highest settings or have everything turned all the way down.

I guess one shouldn't expect a truly optimized experience with what this game has been through, but it's still disappointing. Still 100x better than the choppy, ugly console versions (which also should be running at 60 fps, as far as I'm concerned).

That seems to be an issue here. Some aspects of the design are quite out of date while others are attempting to be modern. Really, it's exactly what I was expecting in that sense.

V_Ben

Banned
Royal mail didn't even knock on my bloody door. Just got a piece of paper through my letterbox saying that they couldn't deliver my item, as it was "too large". Looks like I'm walking to my local tomorrow to collect it.

leca

Upsidedown Fuji said:
Any early impressions of the full version? Is it any cleaner or slightly changed over the demo version?

While I can't comment or compare it to the demo (I never played it), it's certainly Duke Nukem.

It's pretty fun so far, the weapon limits are starting to bug me but that's honestly nothing on a scale of 1 to WHY? :O. There are a number of loading problems that (we can only hope) get resolved in the console versions. I can handle an initial long loading time, that's fine. But when you die, it has to reload the entire map....again. I've found my self stuck or in a death loop that should have taken 30 seconds to grind past, this quickly turns into a 5 minute cycle as you die and load...and die some more.

I can dream about the load issues being fixed, but I feel it's just portal 2 syndrome again when maps need to change.

Visuals? Passable, honestly it's not something I care about. It's DUKE NUKEM.

The self aware humour is nice and fits nicely with the dialog. If your a fan of movies from the 80/90's it's got an incredible amount of cheese to fill the void. This won't particularly save a good or bad game but it has a bit of charm to it.

sk3tch

celebi23 said:
Here's something that I put together, while waiting for Tuesday to finally come (I'm eisnerguy1 on the Gearbox Forums)

Modified Duke Nukem Forever Windows 7 Theme

Thanks for that. Installed. I disabled the sounds (although it's a great touch) because I wear headphones all day. :)

dark10x said:
Anyone spend some time tweaking the PC demo?

I will have to re-play it. Are you vsync'd? I saw 180-200fps at 1080p maxed out...although my first playthrough there seemed to be a bug where it would only top at 60 even though vsync was disabled in my settings.

Specs: i5 2500k @ 4.7 GHz, GTX 580 @ 900 MHz, 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz, 1TB RAID1 7.2k.

Combichristoffersen said:
There are torrents floating around where the PS3 version is 2.68 GB, and the 360 version is 6.79 GB - 7.3 GB. Shit makes no sense.

Also, do I have to install Steamworks to play the PC version of DNF?

It is 4.34GB

Roelatie said:
Need impressions!!!

How is the Duke holding up!

The full version is better than the demo. Still i would not rate this higher than 6 or maybe 7 but it is Duke! If its the feeling you want, it is certainly there.
Pros
+It is Duke!
+Some dialogues are really hilarious
+You can interact with a lot of objects
+Every woman treats you like a king!
+Hail to the king?!
Cons
-Graphics
-Loading times
-Gunplay is not good

sk3tch

Akkad said:

Nice! Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if U.S. folks can buy there and get it earlier? Probably not. I bought through D2D and just activated it on Steam for the pre-load. My cost was $40.99 (used a 15% off referral plus they had 10% off...but they charged tax :-/) so I decided not to mess with trying to cancel with D2D to save a couple bucks. :)

10prdog.png

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
sk3tch said:
I will have to re-play it. Are you vsync'd? I saw 180-200fps at 1080p maxed out...although my first playthrough there seemed to be a bug where it would only top at 60 even though vsync was disabled in my settings.

Specs: i5 2500k @ 4.7 GHz, GTX 580 @ 900 MHz, 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz, 1TB RAID1 7.2k.
Yeah, I'm using v-sync as well. Like I said, with v-sync, the framerate is always reading 60 fps. If I disable v-sync, it goes far above that. The framerate is VERY high.

However, there are minor issues with fluidity that appear in certain areas that appear unrelated to framerate. I wouldn't expect everyone to notice it, as it is subtle, but the effect is quite apparent to my eyes. It's not like the game becomes choppy or anything, rather, it looks similar to microstutering common with SLI setups and only occurs in specific spots even with a high framerate.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:

Steam knows your region. Unlocks at midnight tonight in the UK.

sk3tch

dark10x said:
Yeah, I'm using v-sync as well. Like I said, with v-sync, the framerate is always reading 60 fps. If I disable v-sync, it goes far above that. The framerate is VERY high.

However, there are minor issues with fluidity that appear in certain areas that appear unrelated to framerate. I wouldn't expect everyone to notice it, as it is subtle, but the effect is quite apparent to my eyes. It's not like the game becomes choppy or anything, rather, it looks similar to microstutering common with SLI setups and only occurs in specific spots even with a high framerate.

I just re-played the first section (boss fight) and didn't notice much of anything. But yeah, maybe I'm not as in tune with these issues as you are. My framerate did dip to the 70s once. Which is ridiculous considering this engine. It is not exactly cutting edge.

TwIsTeD

Played 2 hours of the full campaign... I've waited a long time for this but run to the hills for $50 & $60 .... It's a 6 out of 10 because it's Duke but you can tell Gearbox just fixed the mess they were given, load times, sub par graphics, and a pretty boring environment...I'll pick it up on a Steam sale now

But thanks for bringing it out Gearbox and screw you 3D Realms for making us wait all these years for a subpar product

Top Bottom