• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune | Official Main Trailer

Kenpachii

Slow as fuck movie, pulling a lord of the rings.

Why the fuck would u not make it a series.....

Its basically stare at nothing the movie.

Last edited:
This movie is FUCKING GORGEOUS to look at. Every scene I feel I'm getting eye raped. It really is something else.

I love the story too and this is the first I've heard of this Dune nonsense. There's potential here to turn this into a Star Wars like saga.

Give Denis a checkbook. Let him write whatever numbers he wants and get these other movies made asap.

jason10mm

Gold Member
People saying the Lynch version is better are hilarious. I love Lynch but watch that shit again and tell me honestly that it's good. It's a total mess. Even the fan edit that puts the narrative scenes in order and cuts out the dumb parts is a mess.
Not at all. Watched it the day after Dune2021 and it is the superior MOVIE. It has a strong narrative arc, crafts a resolution out of the book, and above all, hits the EMOTIONAL beats necessary. Dune2021, when paired with part 2, might come close, but as it is it is just an artsty fanwank of Dune's themes stripped of all the color.

Not at all. Watched it the day after Dune2021 and it is the superior MOVIE. It has a strong narrative arc, crafts a resolution out of the book, and above all, hits the EMOTIONAL beats necessary. Dune2021, when paired with part 2, might come close, but as it is it is just an artsty fanwank of Dune's themes stripped of all the color.
kid mero lol GIF by Desus & Mero

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Dang...was nice to finally see what Dune is all about after all these years

why didn't HBO drop a massive Dune series a la Game of Thrones....I need more

SJRB

Gold Member
Hans Zimmer released yet another Dune-themed album called "The Art and Soul of Dune".

It's basically the ambient soundscapes for the different planets, highly recommended if you were as entranced by the music as I was.

You're supposed to put this on in the background while reading the artbook with the same title. Pretty dope concept.

Last edited:

ButchCat

Math isn't your strength, is it?

> $160 mil is the film's budget and that doesn't include marketing expenses
> that means excluding marketing expenses the film has to make at least $ 320 mil for Warner Bros ju
$160 mil is the film's budget and that doesn't include marketing expenses which is in the millions. Revenue split between studios and distributors is 60/40 in the US and between 20/80 and 40/60 internationally depending on where you are, so let's go with an average 50 percent split for argument's sake, that means excluding marketing expenses the film has to make at least $ 320 mil for Warner Bros just to cover production costs. With marketing costs, to break even this film has to make at least $500 mil for them to think about greenlighting a part 2. We don't know much revenue HBO Max did generate for them so far.

The film is not out of the woods yet, but assuming COVID doesn't get in the way it we could be on track to Part II with long legs in theatres.

320 mil *0.5= 160 mil (which goes back to WB)

Reading isn't your strength, is it?

Dural

I have mixed feelings after watching it twice. I love movies with great cinematography, and this movie is beautiful to look at, but as an adaptation of the book I'm a bit disappointed. I watched it with my wife who knew nothing of the story and I had to explain what was going on throughout. While I love the casting of Duke Leto and Lady Jessica, it felt like they needed more screen time. Jessica especially just seems like she's there to follow Paul around in the movie, doesn't really do much at all. The Gom Jabar scene with the reverend mother at the beginning was weird too with Jessica standing outside crying. The scene just seemed too short, the conversation after the test was completely gone. There's no explanation of what the Kwisatz Haderach is. It's like the movie was made for people that have already read the book and know the backstory to a lot of what's going on. Still enjoyed it enough to watch it twice within several days, but also a bit disappointed. It's how it usually is with book adaptations though.

Raven117

Gold Member
Alright nerds, do I need to reed the book first? I have it ordered and should arrive tomorrow. Been wanting to read it for years.

Last edited:

Dural

Alright nerds, do I need to reed the book first? I have it ordered and should arrive tomorrow. Been wanting to read it for years.

The book will definitely help with the understanding of a lot of what's going on, the movie doesn't do a great job with that. You'll only have to read about half of the book, I think it was like 8-9 hours. I had the kindle and audible version so went back and forth between the two.

Raven117

Gold Member
The book will definitely help with the understanding of a lot of what's going on, the movie doesn't do a great job with that. You'll only have to read about half of the book, I think it was like 8-9 hours. I had the kindle and audible version so went back and forth between the two.
Hmmm, that's fair. The general wisdom is to read the book first, but I am inpatient!

Maybe I will do as you say...read the first half of the book, then watch the movie...then read the second half of the book!

Last edited:

Fbh

You'll get a lot more from the movie if you read the book first.
The movie focuses on the big moments from the book but missed most of the details that really give them context. They'll show you a big scene of a character doing something, but won't really explain why what they are doing is important.

In a way it almost felt like it was written for people who have read the book.

Then again you can also watch the movie first and then you'll come to appreciate and understand it better as you read the book. Plus it's only the first half so it won't spoil the second half and ending of the book.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Hmmm, that's fair. The general wisdom is to read the book first, but I am inpatient!

Maybe I will do as you say...read the first half of the book, then watch the movie...then read the second half of the book!

You'll get a lot more from the movie if you read the book first.
The movie focuses on the big moments from the book but missed most of the details that really give them context. They'll show you a big scene of a character doing something, but won't really explain why what they are doing is important.

In a way it almost felt like it was written for people who have read the book.

Then again you can also watch the movie first and then you'll come to appreciate and understand it better as you read the book. Plus it's only the first half so it won't spoil the second half and ending of the book.
Ha! Yeah, that is what I'm between.

I may do the "Read the first half of the book" first, movie...then read the second.

I watched it on Friday and then rewatched the first 2/3s or so last night and I think it's brilliant. Gorgeous visuals, brilliant music and atmosphere, strong performances (for a movie that's more director- than actor-driven). I've read the first part of the first book so I knew enough about the world to make sense of everything, no problem.

My only criticism is that it moves so fast and I'm sure it would be better as a trilogy than as two movies, but that doesn't bother me because it's just so beautiful and full of soul.

You know, in a way it's a lot like Jason Momoa. Dude just does what he does and he's brilliant at it.

Edit: Super pumped about the sequel news.

Last edited:

trikster40

Ok, finished watching this today. Having never read the books or seen any of the previous adaptations, here’s my impressions:

First , the movie was really good. Beautiful, sweeping, great music, great cast, overall, just excellent. Sucks we have to wait two years for part 2, but it is what it is.

Second, I feel like I got dropped into the middle of a story and was never really introduced or taught a lot of the unusual stuff. I started grasping it, but the first hour or so, me and my wife both felt like we were just missing something. It all came together, but I think there’s some accessibility issues there that a less-sci-fi person may just give up on. My wife checked out because she felt lost.

The Bene Gesserit almost seem like force users, I’m assuming that Dune may have had some influence on Lucas?

Should I give the books a read? How well did this adaptation do following the source material?

Horatius

Ok, finished watching this today. Having never read the books or seen any of the previous adaptations, here’s my impressions:

First , the movie was really good. Beautiful, sweeping, great music, great cast, overall, just excellent. Sucks we have to wait two years for part 2, but it is what it is.

Second, I feel like I got dropped into the middle of a story and was never really introduced or taught a lot of the unusual stuff. I started grasping it, but the first hour or so, me and my wife both felt like we were just missing something. It all came together, but I think there’s some accessibility issues there that a less-sci-fi person may just give up on. My wife checked out because she felt lost.

The Bene Gesserit almost seem like force users, I’m assuming that Dune may have had some influence on Lucas?

Should I give the books a read? How well did this adaptation do following the source material?
very much so on the lucas front, fairly sure he's confirmed that multiple times. dune is incredibly influential, in the vein of something like 1984, where so many other properties have taken aspects of it over time that it feels like you've experienced vast parts of it even when you haven't. from basic things like people stealing the worms to more subtle things (go replay morrowind after reading the book or seeing the movie, and see how much of dune is in that game).

the book is, and this is no insult to the movie, a much better story, so if you liked the movie definitely read it. the book very very heavily relies on internal monologue to get its story and ideas across, and that's just impossible to convey cleanly in film. many of the things people are saying, that they feel like they're missing something, like there's details that should be there that aren't, are happening because you literally are missing a ton of things. not strictly necessary things, as the movie's story is clearly going to function and be great without them, but a lot of details and explanations about the world, its characters, the science behind it, the ecology of the planet, cultural details, religious details, etc. just aren't in the movie. and the thing is, the book is very much about how environment, ecology, and human nature all interact and cause events. that being absent makes the themes blunter and you miss a lot of the nuance and purpose you find in the book. and basic plot elements too, you find out pretty big plot reveals much earlier in the book because of this.

none of that's the movie's fault, and it makes up for a lot of it by being so dang beautiful, but as is true 99% of the time, a book is always going to be better as a book than as something else.

Horatius

and actually i think watching the movie first, then reading the book might let you enjoy the movie more while not hurting enjoyment of the book. you wouldn't be bothered by the absence of the above stuff since you wouldn't know about it, and the movie ends early enough in the story that you could then read the book and have most of it not spoiled for you.

the only thing i do blame the movie for/didn't like is actually to do with paul. he was fairly likeable in the movie, but his characterisation is different enough from the book to where he's honestly kind of not the same character anymore. again it's the fault of not being able to film internal dialogue, but book paul is so much more prescient, intelligent, competent, fearsome and intimidating than movie paul. the way he's written, the things he notices, the problems he solves, you feel his power, and it goes a long way in making the story feel real and plausible. movie paul has parts of this but he also seems like more of a boy who needs to be bailed out by his mum all the time.

parts of these changes feel subtly intentional too. in the book for e.g. his relationship with his mother is flipped very quickly to where you're very aware just how beyond her in power he is. i imagine this will happen still in the sequel, but i can't help but wonder if it was done to avoid criticism along modern gender politics lines. sort of building up the female characters a little but as a side-effect subtly diminishing paul.

not a biggie or anything, not saying it's a disaster, but i definitely like book paul a lot more than movie paul.

Last edited:

Jsisto

and actually i think watching the movie first, then reading the book might let you enjoy the movie more while not hurting enjoyment of the book. you wouldn't be bothered by the absence of the above stuff since you wouldn't know about it, and the movie ends early enough in the story that you could then read the book and have most of it not spoiled for you.

the only thing i do blame the movie for/didn't like is actually to do with paul. he was fairly likeable in the movie, but his characterisation is different enough from the book to where he's honestly kind of not the same character anymore. again it's the fault of not being able to film internal dialogue, but book paul is so much more prescient, intelligent, competent, fearsome and intimidating than movie paul. the way he's written, the things he notices, the problems he solves, you feel his power, and it goes a long way in making the story feel real and plausible. movie paul has parts of this but he also seems like more of a boy who needs to be bailed out by his mum all the time.

parts of these changes feel subtly intentional too. in the book for e.g. his relationship with his mother is flipped very quickly to where you're very aware just how beyond her in power he is. i imagine this will happen still in the sequel, but i can't help but wonder if it was done to avoid criticism along modern gender politics lines. sort of building up the female characters a little but as a side-effect subtly diminishing paul.

not a biggie or anything, not saying it's a disaster, but i definitely like book paul a lot more than movie paul.
Thanks for putting this so eloquently. It’s exactly how I feel, having read half the book, but would struggle to put into words! At least at the point I’m at, i dare say Paul almost shows contempt and pity for Jessica, whereas at the same part in the movie he’s made to appear much more vulnerable and reliant on her guidance. Love the movie, though, and it’s made me even more excited to finish the book, which I’ve been putting off for far too long.

Doczu

Going for a second time tonight, this time with my wife and my bro-in-law.
Wife only knows Dune from then1984 movie (which she fell asleep on) and me reading and talking about the books
Bro got the first book from me as a gift and is hooked on the series.
I want them to earn as much they need for more seauels (beyond part 2)

I've decided to see this again in IMAX this weekend. Went to the regular theater for my first viewing and now I'm ready for all my senses to be blown away in IMAX.

My favourite character is Josh Brolin's. Did I pick poorly?

OST is good for listening but in the movie it leaves zero impact. Jesus Christ, should have gotten Junkie XL or something so the fights have a bit more oomph.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
My favourite character is Josh Brolin's. Did I pick poorly?

Naw, old Gurney is a fun character. He is not quite as elite a fighter as Jason Mamoa's character, who was basically the Atreides ace, but Gurney is still partly the reason why the Emperor grew wary of the Atreides military.

Josh Brolin's arms were kinda fucking jacked in this. Maybe its just the camera.

GloveSlap

I need to see this in the theater for my 2nd viewing. I wasn't a fan of the HBOMax 4k stream quality (on Xbox). The dark scenes were too washed out and i could barely see anything.

trikster40

So, decided to watch the 84 version today to see how it stacked up. Honestly, it was great. It’s way more accessible that the new version, although I think the new movie is better. The inner dialogue was so helpful in explaining things, wish they had taken the time to explain more in the new version.

Going to rewatch the new one with my new understanding of things and be mind blown away again, man it’s such a beautiful movie.

Why didn’t they introduce the weirding tech in the new movie?

And LOL at the old shields.

Top Bottom