• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune | Official Main Trailer

Carbon copy of the lynch film, only difference is that this one ends where the lynch film keeps going. This movie has an amazing score and manages to feel a bit like a horror at times.Lynch film I felt has these little pockets that explain a little more of whats going on better. there were a few effects I enjoyed better in the old film and some I like better in the new film. Overall I rated them the same.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Loved the first one, was on a media black out fir this but didn’t know it wasn’t the whole movie! Lol how lame is that!

thefool

Pretty, moody but somewhat dull. I loved the pace but the movie doesn't capture the majestic nature of the story, of the houses, of the conflicts, of the world. There's one particular exception, the Sardaukar intro. Dune isn't a particularly easy book to adapt, but I didn't expect this standard-ish adaptation. Biggest disappointment was the soundtrack, Zimmer been delivering some duds lately.

I watched them within a few days of each other, when did you last see the first film?

I rewatched the first film a couple of days after watching the new one and it holds up terribly. It feels like every scene has an exposition dump to explain what you are about to see, as well as constant internal character discussions. Seems clumsy as hell to me, total opposite of ‘show, don’t tell’ and trusting your audience.

Looking at the cinematography, acting, score, script etc. the films are leagues apart and I find it staggering that people think they are about the same or that they actually prefer the Lynch film. Blows my mind. I think the Lynch version was a fairly middling film in the 80s and the years haven’t done it any favours.

I rewatched the first film a couple of days after watching the new one and it holds up terribly. It feels like every scene has an exposition dump to explain what you are about to see, as well as constant internal character discussions. Seems clumsy as hell to me, total opposite of ‘show, don’t tell’ and trusting your audience.

Looking at the cinematography, acting, score, script etc. the films are leagues apart and I find it staggering that people think they are about the same or that they actually prefer the Lynch film. Blows my mind. I think the Lynch version was a fairly middling film in the 80s and the years haven’t done it any favours
I have to respectfully disagree, to me all those things you mention were fine in both films. The only W I'd clearly give the new one is it should win an Oscar for the music. I Enjoyed the new one, having a love for editing I feel like i could take both movies splice every scene together and it would be perfectly coherent and not lose anything. Witch in a fancier looking rubber costume is still a witch in a rubber costume. I enjoyed the little bits more of explanation the old one gives. I actually love the cutoff scene in the new one with the fight being a pivotal moment. The old one has Captain Picard! Pauls dreams are probably more well done in the new one. But all in all I do not really see a difference. And Part 2 of the next Dune will pick up with the end of the first Dune, where we get to see Paul training them.

I watched Dune on a 65 inch LG CX, with a 7.1 surround sound system cranked right up. There is no way I missed anything from the 'cinema experience' other than loud and annoying fucking people.

For people without good home systems, then the cinema is still a viable option, but for anyone lucky enough to have the cash to afford a great home cinema, going to an actual cinema is absolutely pointless in this day and age.
I mean you're wrong. My home theater probably cost more than a lot of people's cars. But the theater is still better. You can't build an auditorium that seats 200+ with a sound system designed for a room of that size nor can you have a 2 story high screen. Well I mean unless you're Jeff Bezos, I guess.

TonyK

First half of the movie is amazing, second half is simply too much visually boring Fremen and desert. I wish the movie/books focused more in the Harkonen and less in the Fremen.

Not interested in a second part after the disappointing last hour of this first movie.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Looking at the cinematography, acting, score, script etc. the films are leagues apart and I find it staggering that people think they are about the same or that they actually prefer the Lynch film. Blows my mind. I think the Lynch version was a fairly middling film in the 80s and the years haven’t done it any favours.
That is in the book though. The atreides and harkonnen both lay out their entire plans in the very beginning. Paul constantly muses about his future. There is zero suspense or surprise in the book. Making Dune an adventure/action film or a thriller, while a laudable goal, isn't necessarily in the spirit of the book.

EruditeHobo

I was left disappointed, but still like the movie and am looking forward to the next one. The visuals are great, the world design is great. But overall it strikes me as a very surface-level Dune adaptation... which I guess is inevitable, considering how dense Dune is. A lot of threads, a lot of the things that make Dune "Dune" were very thin or outright missing IMO.

I was hugely let down by the Harkonnens, and the Baron specifically There's none of the uniqueness of his situation, there's almost no exploration of his political machinations, they barely mention the Emperor which IMO is necessary to provide a whole other dimension to his character... and somehow, for some reason, there's almost no indication of his brand of cruelty. He's basically just Darth Vader... but not Darth Vader in a whole movie, mostly just Darth Vader in the first 10 minutes of Star Wars. He doesn't even have his "destroy Alderaan" moment.

Everything that's interesting about him in the book only happens in moments in the movie, or doesn't happen at all. He's just the big bad... might as well be a Bond villain. And as I type that I realize that's probably unfair to some of the better Bond villains! They give lip service to some of this, but it's pretty weak portrayal overall.

ManaByte

FECouTHUcAYu1WP

Shubh_C63

I was hugely let down by the Harkonnens, and the Baron specifically There's none of the uniqueness of his situation, there's almost no exploration of his political machinations, they barely mention the Emperor which IMO is necessary to provide a whole other dimension to his character... and somehow, for some reason, there's almost no indication of his brand of cruelty. He's basically just Darth Vader... but not Darth Vader in a whole movie, mostly just Darth Vader in the first 10 minutes of Star Wars. He doesn't even have his "destroy Alderaan" moment.
I am only now catching up on the books but from a movie screenplay pov it might not be apt to show 2 super strong out of reach baddies and then develop on none of them. Atleast Baron had an arc. Showing the emperor would have felt shoehorned as he will be better explored in the next movie. right.

Two insights I got on Emperor was when Baron even describing him as powerful and jealous man, and the fact that he basically sacrificed entire house for political play(?). I like not having a face on this Emperor till the next movie.

Raven117

Gold Member
I thought it was great! I actually really liked where the movie ended and The tone of the ending.

Been looking to read this book now for decades. I have a beautiful hardback version I’ll start reading.

I didn’t think it was all THAT hard to follow the major plot points.

A solid movie with only three main issues imo: ocd editing, forgettable music and lack of color.
The first two plague every movie so I'll just have to deal with it lol. Casting and acting was great throughout and they followed the book pretty faithfully.

Tams

Gold Member
Carbon copy of the lynch film, only difference is that this one ends where the lynch film keeps going. This movie has an amazing score and manages to feel a bit like a horror at times.Lynch film I felt has these little pockets that explain a little more of whats going on better. there were a few effects I enjoyed better in the old film and some I like better in the new film. Overall I rated them the same.
The Lynch film is a valent effort, but overall a very 80s abomination.

And one of the worst things about it is the excessive exposition.

Kabelly

thinking of taking the drive to the scotia bank theatre to see it in TRUE imax before it heads out. would be the third time in theatres i see it heh.

Watched it, enjoyed it - just not as much as some of his other films like Blade runner 2049 and Arrival.
The OST was good, cinematography was really nice but some of the CGI...i don't know, it wasn't top-tier stuff and looked dated on some parts (buildings mostly).
As for the acting, it was fine except...Jason Momoa, the dude just can't act to save his life and he always takes me out of the whole experience when i see him acting, he just can't.

A solid 8 from me, looking forward to the next chapters/parts

Rawker

I watched this last night, my first 4k film ony 82" tv and I made it 1 hour into the movie before I shut it off. My biggest problem was the frame rate, I think it was 60 and i couldn't stand it, just like those tv settings that fill in frames it looks terrible. Aside from that the movies plot seemed ok but I couldn't get into the feeling of the movie or maybe it just had none. The whole theme and design is bland and clean, I get it, dry sandy desert, but something needs to be done about the style or lack there of. There were times that I thought I was looking at a mobile game ad for a strategy game with those spice silos.

I'll probably give it another go when I figure out how to watch it at 24 fps or whatever films are supposed to be watched at so I'm not annoyed while watching it.

Ulysses 31

I watched this last night, my first 4k film ony 82" tv and I made it 1 hour into the movie before I shut it off. My biggest problem was the frame rate, I think it was 60 and i couldn't stand it, just like those tv settings that fill in frames it looks terrible. Aside from that the movies plot seemed ok but I couldn't get into the feeling of the movie or maybe it just had none. The whole theme and design is bland and clean, I get it, dry sandy desert, but something needs to be done about the style or lack there of. There were times that I thought I was looking at a mobile game ad for a strategy game with those spice silos.

I'll probably give it another go when I figure out how to watch it at 24 fps or whatever films are supposed to be watched at so I'm not annoyed while watching it.
Sounds like a TV setting issue, the 4K Blu Ray runs at 24fps.

Is it the Samsung 8K 2019 QLED? Check the Auto Motion Plus settings to reduce the soap opera effect.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

O my god dude, turn of frame smoothing.

It'll change your life, trust me.

I watched it yesterday and did not like it at all. There was nothing of interest in the movie to me - characters were boring, the setting was bland (yeah, I know it takes place in a desert). Those dreams sequences were annoying and that music was so bad. Generic, loud desert music. The only way this can be viewed as a great movie is because the director has reached a Nolan-esque level of popularity. People like anything he does no matter how poor.

I mean you're wrong. My home theater probably cost more than a lot of people's cars. But the theater is still better. You can't build an auditorium that seats 200+ with a sound system designed for a room of that size nor can you have a 2 story high screen. Well I mean unless you're Jeff Bezos, I guess.
You can make the screen bigger in your home - sit closer.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
I watched it yesterday and did not like it at all. There was nothing of interest in the movie to me - characters were boring, the setting was bland (yeah, I know it takes place in a desert). Those dreams sequences were annoying and that music was so bad. Generic, loud desert music. The only way this can be viewed as a great movie is because the director has reached a Nolan-esque level of popularity. People like anything he does no matter how poor.
That's like, your opinion man.

WFairfax89

Neo Member
Dune looks great visually, the cameraman's work deserves the highest mark, but at the same time the plot is weak, in the second half it becomes simply boring and predictable. The actors play well, but many of them just don't have enough time to reveal their character. Maybe television format would be much better solution than separated movie...

Ulysses 31

Dune looks great visually, the cameraman's work deserves the highest mark, but at the same time the plot is weak, in the second half it becomes simply boring and predictable. The actors play well, but many of them just don't have enough time to reveal their character. Maybe television format would be much better solution than separated movie...
The story's incomplete which leads to a lot of things that don't pay off yet till part 2.

ManaByte

"Man, this Fellowship of the Ring movie was shit. I mean, Frodo didn't even destroy the ring at the end of it."

"Man, this Fellowship of the Ring movie was shit. I mean, Frodo didn't even destroy the ring at the end of it."
Don’t even dare compare FotR to Dune. So much happens in FotR compared to Dune. FotR is a satisfying movie in itself. Dune isn’t. I see plenty of people praise the acting and the technical stuff but I don’t see how anyone can praise the story. It is too weak.

Top Bottom