• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 Open Beta Discussion/Impressions

Ixion

Also pretty late in the game I just pretty much stopped getting skill points. Is it one of those things where when you start a character you get a bunch and then it just teeters off the more you play?

There is currently a daily SP cap at about 30,000 SP. Each game after that will only net you 50 SP per match.

Today or tomorrow this will be changed to a weekly cap at about 190,000 SP, and each game after that will net you SP equal to your War Points, up to 1,000 in a match.

The gameplay feels very wrong, so do the sound effects. Also it is the ugliest game I've played on PS3, nothing even comes close.

The graphics and sound are supposed to receive major upgrades in the next update, which is due for April I believe. Most of the sound effects are placeholders and they haven't added most of the music yet.

Keep in mind this is a real Beta. This is not one of those instances where the game is always in Beta. Nope, there is going to be an official '1.0' release in the summer. So the current build is not close to how the final game will be.

Akainu

There is currently a daily SP cap at about 30,000 SP. Each game after that will only net you 50 SP per match.

Today or tomorrow this will be changed to a weekly cap at about 190,000 SP, and each game after that will net you SP equal to your War Points, up to 1,000 in a match.

The graphics and sound are supposed to receive major upgrades in the next update, which is due for April I believe. Most of the sound effects are placeholders and they haven't added most of the music yet.

Keep in mind this is a real Beta. This is not one of those instances where the game is always in Beta. Nope, there is going to be an official '1.0' release in the summer. So the current build is not close to how the final game will be.
All good to know.

Loona

Gave it a quick try last week when I saw it in the PSN store.

Could have used a tutorial to get the hang of the controls, as I'm generally not used to FPSs - reading about EVE Online can be fascinating, but I really don't see myself getting involved in it, so this looked like a nice little window into it.

When starting the beta there was stuff in the EULA that implied a frequent free - wasn't this supposed to be F2P?...

It's mildly annoying only getting a limited pick of helmet for appearance after all that faction/ethnic selection process in character creation...

The system of expending equipment with every battle seems like an ISK sink, but I guess it's the only way to make the market for individual-level equipment to work alongside the stuff behind the building of stuff like ships and stations in main EVE: make everyone buy in bulk. Not gonna happen anytime soon for me as, like I said, I still don't get the hang of commands much, so I'm not wasting gear until I know what I'm doing, but I'm putting some skill points into stuff that seems to help survivability for now, maybe some into skills useful for the default equipment sets.

When starting combat, I can't quite tell how I can select a spawn point or see the relative positions of the troops (been picking Ambush mode, since the one mission seems to be "shoot the red guys", which is the one think I think I know how to do at this point), so I end up sticking with the default option - some clarity in that screen would help.

When I get shot at, there's a circle on screen with part of it in red, but I can't quite tell if it's a reference to relative map position or altitude (when it happened, it was usually the upper part of the circle in red).

At least battle nets you some skill points even if you lose, but by default I use a pad for fighting games that lacks analog buttons, so lately I've only logged in to assign skill points, might give it another try soon with a prper pad for the occasion, maybe I'll live in the battlefield long enough to figure out what I'm doing.

GodofWine

I spent about 45 minutes in this last night...the opening cinematics thru the staging room for battle (great idea that all FPSs should steal) were very intriguing.

The various ideas they have about linking to eve via calling in eve players for air strikes and eventually teaming up with them to invade other starships is darn near fascinating.

upon being dropped into battle, it felt like MAG with a sprinkle of starhawk...but mostly MAG...probably due to lackluster visuals and audio. But these are areas they said they will be updating so I will probably mess with this alittle until the next update and see what they come up with.

edit: they state they have a 5+yr roadmap for this game, that would imply a PS4 version? no? Not sure why they wouldnt just hold this back until then and use it as a F2P launch title included with each system...it probably needs the hardware upgrade to really shine

Ixion

they state they have a 5+yr roadmap for this game, that would imply a PS4 version? no? Not sure why they wouldnt just hold this back until then and use it as a F2P launch title included with each system...it probably needs the hardware upgrade to really shine

They have five years of content/updates already planned, but they don't intend on supporting the game for only five years. They want this game to last forever. They said they want it on 'PlayStation 7'.

Definitely a cool change for console gamers, who are used to buying each new sequel and having to start from scratch. This game will be persistent and simply have a new version for each console generation.

Zeal

Banned
This any fun at all? Might as well try it.

In concept, the game looks and sounds amazing (kinda like Eve) but the execution just does not work at all. I find the gameplay incredibly buggy, sluggish and almost unplayable. The amount of bugs I'm seeing and the general jankiness of the engine makes this feel pre-alpha.

The sniper is impossible to use, you don't really FEEL when you are hitting others or being hit, and vehicle control and combat in general are a buggy mess (players floating in the air after being killed on the back of vehicle mounted turrets) etc. As someone else said, the game just feels 'wrong'.

I love everything about the Eve universe and anticipated this game forever, but it needs a fuckton of work before this can be released.

tafer

Welp, downloaded the game. Boy, so many options and stuff is quite intimidating.

Still, quite interesting. I'll give it a good try.

There's probably not another game out there that hates newbies more than this one, save EVE Online itself. If Dust had much more in common with EVE, perhaps it could justify it, but as it stands it's just shooter that horribly horribly gimps you for being new. Also likely to get worse as time goes on. I can't imagine why someone with no investment in the EVE universe would willingly subject themselves to this, and the EVE universe hooks aren't really developed enough to get people who are invested in the EVE online side of things.

And the whole controller vs. mouse & keyboard arms race kinda sucks too, although it oddly mirrors the game itself.

woolley

Man as soon as a tank shows up everything just goes to shit.

The biggest problem with this is that people tend to not spec into an AV class so tanks can roam around the map without problem. It's even worse among new players because they don't know better.

RaffAO

I logged into this for the first time in 6 months and couldn't believe that it was still so bad on every level. From a purely visual and technical point of view it's like a parody of an early UE3 game. Absolutely baffling.

Ominym

Banned
After fiddling with this for a bit, I'm still baffled parts of it look as bad as it does. We're talking full out some of the ugliest textures I've seen to date. I do however really enjoy (when it rarely happens) fighting with missiles flying overhead hitting each teams MCC.

And while I understand the game is supposed to be some-what RPG-esque with the combat, I find the gunplay to be so insanely not satisfying it's killing me. It takes way too long to kill people, not to mention I don't like that when you try to use assault rifles at a distance instead of being able to arc a shot. The game just decides that your bullets just aren't allowed to go that far, and they disappear. Really handicaps people against snipers.

Also, this is the only game I can remember in recent history that not only penalizes your speed with heavy armor; but also how fast you turn. Seems a bit over kill to me.

I really want to like this, I do. But there's just so much wrong with it.

Achamian

I wish people would stop comparing this to MAG, which was a great mp experience and had decent (but not great) visuals whereas this is just poor in every single area.

T-0800

In concept, the game looks and sounds amazing (kinda like Eve) but the execution just does not work at all. I find the gameplay incredibly buggy, sluggish and almost unplayable.

I suggest you play around with new weapons and upgrade various stats etc. Nothing sluggish about my loadout. I'm really loving the game.

T-0800

After fiddling with this for a bit, I'm still baffled parts of it look as bad as it does. We're talking full out some of the ugliest textures I've seen to date. I do however really enjoy (when it rarely happens) fighting with missiles flying overhead hitting each teams MCC.

And while I understand the game is supposed to be some-what RPG-esque with the combat, I find the gunplay to be so insanely not satisfying it's killing me. It takes way too long to kill people, not to mention I don't like that when you try to use assault rifles at a distance instead of being able to arc a shot. The game just decides that your bullets just aren't allowed to go that far, and they disappear. Really handicaps people against snipers.

Also, this is the only game I can remember in recent history that not only penalizes your speed with heavy armor; but also how fast you turn. Seems a bit over kill to me.

I really want to like this, I do. But there's just so much wrong with it.

Honestly sounds like you're doing something wrong. Have you tried other weapons? One of the default weapons is really really really bad and makes the game feel broken. The others don't. I can fire my weapon very long distances to take out snipers. It isn't easy, as it shouldn't be but it is possible.

woolley

Honestly sounds like you're doing something wrong. Have you tried other weapons? One of the default weapons is really really really bad and makes the game feel broken. The others don't. I can fire my weapon very long distances to take out snipers. It isn't easy, as it shouldn't be but it is possible.

No, he's correct. When a weapon reaches it's max range it doesn't have any effect there after. It's different depending on the weapon your using and this can be modified by upgrading your guns in the skill tree.

I am having a hard time finding the appeal, I re-downloaded the game. Is it because it's free? Is it because it's linked to some MMO I played for 15 mins? The gameplay is sub standard so I am shocked so many people are into this.

Good on em tho, whatever floats your gaming boat.

Ixion

It takes way too long to kill people

Which makes the game require more teamwork. Not to mention this is a large-scale, strategic shooter. It's wise to have the players last longer on the battlefield, since most of the modes besides TDM won't have 100% immediate action.

not to mention I don't like that when you try to use assault rifles at a distance instead of being able to arc a shot. The game just decides that your bullets just aren't allowed to go that far, and they disappear. Really handicaps people against snipers.

Which is great, because in games like COD, you could take out someone no matter how far they are, which makes sniping less meaningful.

Armor protects you much better than shields do and if you're squaded up with a logistics player, then you're in a pretty good situation. So if you're a lone wolf, then shields are for you. If you often play with someone who can repair your armor, then wearing armor could be an advantage.

I am having a hard time finding the appeal, I re-downloaded the game. Is it because it's free? Is it because it's linked to some MMO I played for 15 mins? The gameplay is sub standard so I am shocked so many people are into this.

Good on em tho, whatever floats your gaming boat.

If you read up on the planned additions and updates to this game, then you could see why a lot of people are fascinated with this project.

Would I be playing it if I knew it would never get any better? Probably not. But CCP's plan for this game is very exciting and most importantly, we're still playing the beta. There's still a couple major updates that need to be given before the official 1.0 release.

Some examples of exciting updates:

-Obviously the graphics, sound, music, and presentation are supposed to have major updates before the official release
-The planetary conquest aspect where corporations attack, defend, and conquer planets in one persistent universe of 7,000 planets (the EVE universe) will be added in the next update
-Mechs will be added to the game at some point this year
-Corporations will have their own headquarters to meet in
-DUST players will be able to interact with EVE players by boarding space stations and their piloted ships
-A PvE mode will be added to the game soon where you fight against rogue drones
-The second-hand economy between DUST and EVE players will be fully implemented soon
-Different planets will eventually have different conditions like snow, lava, underwater combat, etc, that affect how you play

Which makes the game require more teamwork. Not to mention this is a large-scale, strategic shooter. It's wise to have the players last longer on the battlefield, since most of the modes besides TDM won't have 100% immediate action.

Teamwork is crucial but when the maps are enormous and the console's limitations prevent developers from allowing enough players to inhabit them in the first place, teamwork falls by the wayside.

Many of the maps are too big for the player count.

Ixion

Teamwork is crucial but when the maps are enormous and the console's limitations prevent developers from allowing enough players to inhabit them in the first place, teamwork falls by the wayside.

Many of the maps are too big for the player count.

The beta only allows for 32 players, but the full game will allow for 48 players. However, we're only playing sections of each map, not the entire map. So the spacing will probably end up the same for the full release.

However, I'm sure the PS4 version will be able up that number.

-Obviously the graphics, sound, music, and presentation are supposed to have major updates before the official release
-The planetary conquest aspect where corporations attack, defend, and conquer planets in one persistent universe of 7,000 planets (the EVE universe) will be added in the next update
-DUST players will be able to interact with EVE players by boarding space stations and their piloted ships
-The second-hand economy between DUST and EVE players will be fully implemented soon
-Different planets will eventually have different conditions like snow, lava, underwater combat, etc, that affect how you play

Well you have me excited again, I am judging it too harshly being a Beta and all, however I was really turned off by how short the game modes are. I think they have a good foundation to work off of, so if these do get impelmented, consider me a paying player.

androvsky

Ya that's what I meant, I mean that is the only way to support the game right? Does buying Aurum give you huge advantages?

Not really, all it does is give you faster access to the better equipment. The Aurum gear has the same stats as the ISK stuff, but with lower skill requirements so you can equip it sooner. You can also get a skill booster that increases the skill points you get in a match, but either way you'll have the same equipment eventually. One nice thing is that with Aurum you can buy some gear that never expires but has slightly better stats than the default.

Now granted, if you really feel like throwing money away you can go nuts buying Aurum equipment and spawn with top-end gear every time; you don't earn enough ISK in the non-corporate matches to use the best equipment constantly unless you never die.

Not really, all it does is give you faster access to the better equipment. The Aurum gear has the same stats as the ISK stuff, but with lower skill requirements so you can equip it sooner. You can also get a skill booster that increases the skill points you get in a match, but either way you'll have the same equipment eventually. One nice thing is that with Aurum you can buy some gear that never expires but has slightly better stats than the default.

Now granted, if you really feel like throwing money away you can go nuts buying Aurum equipment and spawn with top-end gear every time; you don't earn enough ISK in the non-corporate matches to use the best equipment constantly unless you never die.

Hey cool, that sounds fair and balanced enough.

Can I still download the beta (in Canada)?

I did a few weeks ago , so it should still be on the PSN.

tafer

Which is great, because in games like COD, you could take out someone no matter how far they are, which makes sniping less meaningful.

Armor protects you much better than shields do and if you're squaded up with a logistics player, then you're in a pretty good situation. So if you're a lone wolf, then shields are for you. If you often play with someone who can repair your armor, then wearing armor could be an advantage.

If you read up on the planned additions and updates to this game, then you could see why a lot of people are fascinated with this project.

Would I be playing it if I knew it would never get any better? Probably not. But CCP's plan for this game is very exciting and most importantly, we're still playing the beta. There's still a couple major updates that need to be given before the official 1.0 release.

That sounds amazing!

And now the question has to be done: Is GAF making a Corporation?

woolley

If people are interested I'll work on setting up a Gaf Corp. I won't be able to play everyday so I would also need to find some people to help run it.

Ixion

That sounds amazing!

Yessir. These two things are likely a ways off though:

The rest of the those things should be implemented either in the next update or later this year.

And now the question has to be done: Is GAF making a Corporation?

We have a fast-growing corp going at PSU, called the 'PSU Ghost Syndicate'. Our CEO is EXTREMELY passionate about the game. He's set up an official guide for corp members, as well as a private forum for corp strategy. Check it out...

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthrea...ST-SYNDICATE-Official-Corporation-of-PSU-com!

bjaelke

Dumb question. Is there a way to quit to the title screen or do I have to restart the whole game?

Unfortunately they haven't implemented a log-out function yet....for some reason. You'll have to restart the game right now, if you wish to play on another character.

Every couple months i jump into Dust with reasonably high expectations. after 10 minutes im always reminded of how janky the game feels. from the shooting, to the clipping, jumping, aiming, everything feels awkward. i really like ccp and the ambitious nature of Dust, i just wish it was a better game.

Every couple months i jump into Dust with reasonably high expectations. after 10 minutes im always reminded of how janky the game feels. from the shooting, to the clipping, jumping, aiming, everything feels awkward. i really like ccp and the ambitious nature of Dust, i just wish it was a better game.

It's in beta. Expect the game to improve over time.

Top Bottom