• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dyack: "NeoGAF...I would say is probably the worst forum." Response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

skip said:
no 1up fight, no bridges burned. I've already explained what happened when he came to visit us on the show. we had about 30 minutes of preparation, thinking we would be talking about the game -- I had printouts of 20+ questions from our boards ready to go, then denis opened up his laptop and began his speech. we really had no idea what was going on.

so yeah, tyler, you were right. we were dumbfounded by it. big whoop.

In your defense, it did seem like everyone was caught off guard and didn't know what to do. Will he be invited back on the show again after that stunt?

Mamesj

Banned
crowphoenix said:
True. What I meant was, I don't want GAF getting into a fight with the rest of the industry over this. Very poorly phrased on my part, but nitwits are want to do that. :D

No problem man, happens to me all the time :D

neonvision said:
This is awesome. TOO Awesome.

:lol this thread is truly delivering.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
skip said:
no 1up fight, no bridges burned. I've already explained what happened when he came to visit us on the show. we had about 30 minutes of preparation, thinking we would be talking about the game -- I had printouts of 20+ questions from our boards ready to go, then denis opened up his laptop and began his speech. we really had no idea what was going on.

I think that's when you guys should have taken control of your own show instead of having it hijacked.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
TheHeretic said:
I get the feeling whilst alot of people are laughing EviLore is taking this pretty seriously. Hes made 2 posts and both of them are pretty fucking intense.

That, and I noticed several people have already been banned. The carnage in this thread is terrible in its breadth and intensity.

Cheeto

skip said:

I remember Garnett being very adversarial.

shuri

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
there are many other devs who have been working for a long tome on a game only to see how it`s getting ripped apart by the media... should any dev/film-maker/muusican etc. now act like dyack ? i don`t think so...
isnt Dyack the founder of SK? Unlike people in the trench he has nobody to answer to

Branduil

slasher_thrasher21 said:
You know considering all the pure drama this whole Too Human/Denis Dyack shitstorm. I think ALOT of people on these boards (Denis, some of the mods, other users) just really need to grow up.

This whole thing is way outta line. Denis was out of line, posters are out of line, mods are out of line. The pure hatred and anarchy of the this whole debacle is just insane. It reminds me of a little kid hitting another little kid and saying he did it because the other little kid hit him first. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I hope that this can all just die sooner rather then later. People will like the game, other won't, like all games before Too Human and all games after Too Human.
I have to agree with this post. Mr. Dyack behaved quite immaturely and he has used some rather outlandish hyperbole. However, I think at times GAF can be rather over-sensitive to insults against it, in fact this whole thing can be seen as a case of people being sure to interpret others in the worst way possible, and being as sensitive to possible insults as possible, in an ever-escalating game of self-righteousness and deliberate provocation. Mr. Dyack and EvilLore can both say what they like, and EvilLore can certainly do whatever he wants with his forum, but I have a hard time seeing how anyone can be proud about how any of this has gone down.

KTallguy

Banned
PSGames said:
He didn't say this was the worst forum ever he said that out of all the forums this was the one that hated on Too Human the most. Read the full article please.
"Silicon Knights boss Denis Dyack has spoken out about his public feud with NeoGAF, saying that he wanted to make an example of the effects of negative forums and picked the site because he considers it to be “the worst” of its kind.

“NeoGAF is considered to be the worst, and I would say is probably the worst forum,” he said. “And so, you might as well pick the worst one. Why not?”

He made a blanket statement that GAF was the 'worst' forum. He didn't mention "hating on Too Human".

And if he thinks that the way we would word our statements towards his behavior would be different in person, I don't think mine would be personally. I don't make gifs though.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Mamesj said:
"Dyaku" :lol

You can turn Dyack into ダイ・アク in katakana and in turn turn it into 大悪

Which means..."big evil" (though no such real word exists)

Soul4ger

There can't be any 1UP vs. NeoGAF fight. If 1UP couldn't come to NeoGAF anymore, how would they get any of their news content or half of their feature ideas?

theBishop

Banned
2im12tj.jpg

Sloane

Banned
Generally, people think technology has improved communication and that's because we can now communicate in ways we never could before. We can send email 24/7, you can post on forums and talk to people in South Africa, in Asia, wherever, video conference, telephones, cell-phones that we can we do now over the past 75 years that we could never do in the whole history of the human race, as far as we know anyway.

2,000 years of civilisation has been based on face-to-face communication until that point, where you have full reciprocity, where you can see facial expressions. And these new forms of communication lose that reciprocity, and generally people become aggravated that they would never say in person, things that are inaccurate and misleading. They hide behind this anonymity and people need to understand that that is not true communication.

It has not improved our communication; technology's changed the way we communicate, and it's changed it in such a way that's not always better. And until we start thinking about those things and start talking about it, I think it's going to do more damage than good. So I brought up some of those points just so people would start thinking about it, and hopefully that came through in a positive way. Time will tell.
So true.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've stayed pretty quiet, but one of the things that annoys me about these threads is that the concept being "owned" is treated like some kind of a joke. That is typical loser-mentality BS. Just like if you kicked someone's ass in a debate IRL, if someone gets owned (using the term to refer to online debates/flamewars) that is far more than just a joke, it has substantive merit to it.

All I'll say on the matter.

Cheeto said:
I remember Garnett being very adversarial.

Part of the reason I've been listening to the 1up podcasts more often was because I respected Garnett for disagreeing with Dyack after his long rants. That happened to be one of the first ones I listened to.

Unison

TheRagnCajun said:
In skip's defence, I don't think its good form to attack or heavily criticize a guest of your show, even if you don't agree with him.

What? You are watching the wrong shows, buddy. :lol

skip

andycapps said:
In your defense, it did seem like everyone was caught off guard and didn't know what to do. Will he be invited back on the show again after that stunt?

depends on the context. we get along well with denis, who is a very likeable and energetic person IN THE REAL LIFE, despite any disagreements you might have.

Mash

:lol MamaRobotnik, best one yet lol.

As for the rest of this e-drama, I'm bored of it. Too Human will become GAF's favourite game in 6-8 months with a tonne of LTTP threads spawning. Dyack will still remain a momentous douche, but a harmless one. GAF is by no means the worst forum, for gaming it's the only one I can stand and that's because the mods don't act like cops, they act like people. If Dyack doesn't like GAF he should really just stfu and ignore it. EvilLore really did do him a favour. Big breath, phew.

In 1up Yours defense, when a guest on any interview platform goes on a tirade I think you are supposed to let him/her go on that tirade.

Be honest Skip, am I wrong?

Guy Legend

TheRagnCajun said:
In skip's defence, I don't think its good form to attack or heavily criticize a guest of your show, even if you don't agree with him.

Agreed. I think the 1up guys handled the segment pretty well....and it was entertaining to hear once. You don't be rude or just shut up a guest.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Branduil said:
I have to agree with this post. Mr. Dyack behaved quite immaturely and he has used some rather outlandish hyperbole. However, I think at times GAF can be rather over-sensitive to insults against it, in fact this whole thing can be seen as a case of people being sure to interpret others in the worst way possible, and being as sensitive to possible insults as possible, in an ever-escalating game of self-righteousness and deliberate provocation. Mr. Dyack and EvilLore can both say what they like, and EvilLore can certainly do whatever he wants with his forum, but I have a hard time seeing how anyone can be proud about how any of this has gone down.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

GAF is a 40,000 community! Denis is but one person!!! DO YOU HONESTLY SUGGEST THAT EVERY ONE OF THOSE 40000 SHOULD GROW UP? DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY OF THOSE 40000 ARE LITERALLY KIDS?

ALL IT TOOK TO END THIS IS FOR ONE PERSON TO GROW UP AND IT'S DYACK SO EVERYONE WHO'S TRYING TO CALL GAF AS "ONE PERSON" AND PLACE BLAME ON THEM SHOULD SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!

he shouldnt make the pr for his game the denis dyack show its his fault if he represents him this way to the media and community if you want someone to interact with a community get a community manager who dosnt damage your image/brand/ip/publisher and thats what he has done with this behavior

skip said:
depends on the context. we get along well with denis, who is a very likeable and energetic person IN THE REAL LIFE, despite any disagreements you might have.

I will attest that Dyack on the 1up GDC podcast with Mark and Shawn was very good. Only when it got into forum bullshittery or Too Human did it become sour.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Jinfash said:

GAF is a 40,000 community! Denis is but one person!!! DO YOU HONESTLY SUGGEST THAT EVERY ONE OF THOSE 40000 SHOULD GROW UP? DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY OF THOSE 40000 ARE LITERALLY KIDS?

ALL IT TOOK TO END THIS IS FOR ONE PERSON TO GROW UP AND IT'S DYACK SO EVERYONE WHO'S TRYING TO CALL GAF AS "ONE PERSON" AND PLACE BLAME ON THEM SHOULD SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!

Woah there, tiger.

Reave

All I ask is that Shawn Elliot is on any future 1up podcast with Denis Dyack in it. He seems like the kind of guy that could have challenged Dyack's opinions (if he disagrees) in the best sounding way, without Denis basically turning the show into a more one-sided affair.

Pedobear said:
So the only way to criticize games is being a developer now? :lol

Wat. You insult the man for making a game you don't like. Have you played the full game (Demo and pre-release reviews are not representative of the full game)?

Also isn't that his very point? You can come on here and call him a twat (which is really just juvenile) and there isn't any penalty/consequence.

Just to point out, I haven't really read Dyack's posts on here, just going by what the OP said.

KTallguy

Banned
Sloane said:

Denis Dyack: Well, certainly a lot of the criticism came from the Unreal Engine failing us at E3 2006, there's no question about that. We've certainly taken action on that.

Hooolly crap.

And sure, internet fuckwad theory. But internet anonymity isn't the only thing fueling the insults towards Too Human and Denis Dyack.

Jinfash said:

:lol

The meltdowns.

AstroLad said:
I've stayed pretty quiet, but one of the things that annoys me about these threads is that the concept being "owned" is treated like some kind of a joke. That is typical loser-mentality BS. Just like if you kicked someone's ass in a debate IRL, if someone gets owned (using the term to refer to online debates/flamewars) that is far more than just a joke, it has substantive merit to it.

All I'll say on the matter.
OH - we just got OWNED!!!!!! :D

You are on a gaming forum. Just as a reminder...

Reave

Jinfash said:

A smidge overboard?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Xrenity said:
You'd be better of listening to GfW Radio instead for talk on those :p

I bet they'll discuss this at GfW too.

Think Dyack would be awesome on that show too :eek:

what!? they never talk about games. all they talk about is the fucking wire.

Cheeto

Jinfash said:

RAAAAAAAWRRRRRRRRRRR... I NEED TO EXPRESS MY ANGER ON THE INTERNET!! AM I DOING IT RIGHT!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom