• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 - Best & Worst memories

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
CooperativeImprobableAfricanrockpython-size_restricted.gif

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Good: I was at E3 2001. I got to see the GameCube and Xbox reveal events there, got an amazing GameCube backpack. It was before supersize me, and I remember enlarging my Burger King meal and getting basically a bucket of drink. I got to spend some time in God Games parking lot because I knew a developer, and they let me in even tho I was 18.

Sorta bad: At the same E3, I received some media, and I wanted to send it back to my site and they had these iMacs in the media room, and I had no idea how to operate one, so when I entered a CD I was like, shit, how do I get it out? There were no buttons. Someone there helped me.

T-Cake

Nothing to do with the actual games themselves but I always really loved watching GameSpot's live E3 coverage. Homer Rabara on the show floor and Ryan MacDonald in the little studio area interviewing all the devs.

Spyxos

Gold Member
That one time they showed Zelda for the Wii, and it didn't work. Then I think shigeru miyamoto came on stage to show how it works, but since there was so much interference in the audience, it didn't work either.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Best stage demo of all time imo

And completely launched ND into Space. They've been recognized as an industry leader ever since this moment

My jaw was on the floor for fucking weeks after seeing this shit. This is the game that turned me into a Graphics whore. :messenger_smirking:

I was too poor to play Crysis

Last edited:

Yoboman

worst: That year that Sony spent a fuckin hour showing off 3 games. The one with the guy playing the flute.
Man I loved that E3. Absolute peak of Sony marketing being unnecessarily extravagant. Probably the best thing about Shawn Layden era is your could tell he was a marketing guy and put out some top tier marketing

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lol who the fuck is this guy?

I remember being at a Microsoft conference and this guy was DJ'ing with some fancy ass shit. I whacked him in the head with a foam noodle and he looked like he was going to kill me :messenger_tears_of_joy:
That guy is the second worst moment ever at E3. I thought he was just some hired druggie because he sure looks and acts like one. He's worked on some well known works according to his wiki, but who knows how much more beyond that.

UnNamed

Banned
Best moments

Sony 2015 E3
Wii nunchuck and Virtual console reveal
MGS2 reval
Half Lfe 2 reveal
Sony E3 2005 OMG Killzone and Motorstorm So Real!!!
Sony E3 2006 hosted by Kaz Hirai, just for the memes
Booth babes
Translator guy
Reggie reveals himself
Neogaf 404 page error during E3 for too much traffic

Worst moments

That fake Star Wars Kinect demo
WiiU reveal
Reggie after revealing himself, from there until his retirement
Every Sony conference with Jack Tretton
Konami E3 2010, not funny, just cringe
That Nintendo conference with Nintendogs and the milf
Everytime Miyamoto plays stupid on stage

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Join John Linneman along with Marc and Coury from My Life in Gaming to review some of the MLiG team's never-seen-before 60fps footage taken from the showfloor at E3 2002 - this is the Electronics Entertainment Expo at the height of its pomp. Trade only, packed with crazy booths and big, big games. Note that this video was recorded before E3 2023's cancellation.

Exploring the Early 2000s Video Game Industry​

The early 2000s marked a period of significant evolution and experimentation in the video game industry. While E3 still remains one of the biggest video game trade shows, let us explore some other aspects of the video game industry during this time, from exploring the 2002 E3 show to the impact of popular video games like Grand Theft Auto 3, Kingdom Hearts, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

A Trip Down Memory Lane: Exploring E3 2002​

E3, the Electronic Entertainment Expo, was once the most critical video game trade show. It was where major players like Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sega made groundbreaking announcements. Although E3 continues to be a significant event, it is not quite what it once was. The reason is that finding good quality footage from older E3 shows is hard. However, in 2002, a 47-minute clip from E3 was shot by Chris Shaman, the manager at Electronics Boutique. He had access to events that were not open to the public.

The footage may not be of the highest quality, but it provides a glimpse of what E3 2002 was all about. The show floor was chaotic, with a lot of people walking around, and companies like Sierra and Xbox had quite a booth. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was on the monitor for the Xbox, and Activision was at the height of their popularity with games like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Matt Hoffman BMX.

The Impact of Video Games​

During the early 2000s, video games were rapidly gaining popularity. People were eagerly anticipating new titles, and game developers were quick to capitalize on this. However, not every game was a hit, and some titles failed to meet the expectations of players.

Grand Theft Auto 3​

Released in 2001, Grand Theft Auto 3 was a game that had a significant impact on the industry. Players could explore an open-world environment, engage in criminal activities, and complete missions. This game's success paved the way for two more popular titles, Vice City and San Andreas, released within two years.

Rockstar, the developer behind Grand Theft Auto 3, was not as well-known before the game's release. However, its success changed that, and Rockstar quickly became a household name. Before Grand Theft Auto 3, Rockstar was known as DMA Design, but they changed their name to Rockstar North after the success of Grand Theft Auto 3.

Kingdom Hearts​

Kingdom Hearts was another game that had a significant impact on the industry during this period. It is a role-playing game that features characters from Disney and Final Fantasy universes. Kingdom Hearts was critically acclaimed and became one of the most popular games of its generation.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater​

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater was one of the biggest games in the world at the time. It was such a big deal that Activision built the Activision O2 line, which was essentially like EA Sports big, but for Activision. This was the first E3 after the launch of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, and it was a big deal. The game was so popular that even Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer was released around the same time. Dave Mirra BMX and other games also contributed to the popularity of extreme sports games at the time.

The Xbox and its First-Party Games​

Microsoft launched its first gaming console, the Xbox, in 2001. While it was a newcomer, it quickly gained popularity, and game developers started creating games for the platform. However, many of the Xbox's first-party games during this period were poorly received. Azaric: Rise of the Tomb Raider was one of the few exceptions, receiving critical acclaim and becoming a commercial success. Meanwhile, Microsoft continued to improve the Xbox's hardware, releasing the Xbox Controller S in 2002 and the Xbox 360 in 2005. The Xbox 360 was a significant upgrade over the original Xbox, with improved graphics and a more powerful processor. It also introduced the Xbox Live online gaming service, which allowed players to compete against each other over the internet. The Xbox 360 was a massive success, selling over 84 million units worldwide and establishing Microsoft as a major player in the gaming industry.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

This has been entertaining. Sad new content for list like this will end now. No wonder all the big developers pulled out, lol

Handel

The Last Guardian re-reveal at E3 2015 is my favorite E3 moment, as Ico and SOTC are games near and dear to me TLG was my most anticipated game ever, nothing else in the gaming industry hits the way Ueda games do. The game then proceeded to become my second favorite game of all time, more then living up to the hype for me.

The Zelda orchestra comes second, it's my favorite game series of all time and the music+visuals are just a nostalgia overload :

Alan Wake

My favourite E3 moment is the Shenmue III reveal. I never thought the game would see the light of day after so many years and suddenly, there he was, counting down. So OK, Yu Suzuki more or less threw away the unique chance he was handed. But at least we got the game, finally.

What a show Sony had that year.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
My favourite E3 moment is the Shenmue III reveal. I never thought the game would see the light of day after so many years and suddenly, there he was, counting down. So OK, Yu Suzuki more or less threw away the unique chance he was handed. But at least we got the game, finally.

What a show Sony had that year.
Yes, that was a truly memorable moment for Shenmue fans! Hard to top!

Worst: WiiU launch conference, which tried to sell a console with no core games, overpriced old PS360 ports and Nintendoland fireworks.

Best: Also the WiiU launch conference, because it literally was the thing that ended my stupid loyalty to Nintendo consoles and got me into multiplat-gaming proper.

Last edited:

jcorb

It’s honestly a shame that E3 is dead, it was always a lifelong dream to attend one year (I grew up in a poor town in south GA, so it just never felt possible).

I’d honestly love to hear any other stories folks would have from back then?

I know it was sort of cringe in hindsight, but I always felt like the booth babes seemed *part* of the E3 experience. Almost wonder if the event could be revived in someplace like Vegas?

Top Bottom