• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Calls Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order “First Title in an Entirely New Franchise”

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Today, during Electronic Arts’ quarterly financial conference call for analysts and investors, chief executive officer Andrew Wilson had an interesting remark to make about Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.

Speaking of the game achieving over 10 million players as announced earlier today, Wilson mentioned that this is “a first title in an entirely new franchise.”

This most certainly seems to hint that Electronic Arts intends to continue the “Star Wars Jedi” series as its own franchise.

At the moment there are no hints to what a probable Star Wars Jedi 2 could be about, but hopefully, we hear more about it soon.

I loved fallen order until the end with the witch crap and magical powers let alone the lady's attitude... It just seemed so out of place to me. I don't care if you have a strong female presence at all. In fact I'd rather like that. Some of my favorite Star Wars books where the young Jedi Knights and I friggin loved Jaina Solo. I just wished they would have stayed in a world with the force only. Make the female a Jedi. Or if anyone else has to have some sort of powers make them similar to the force, so like psychic or telekinesis. Something that people could find more believable for that world.

I don't know man, maybe I'm being too critical, but the end just didn't jive with me after such a strong game. I was actually really excited for what they might do next till I reached the end and it seems like this grumpy witch woman is going to be part of the crew now... I was hoping that if they picked up a female character it would be a young force sensitive girl and we'd have to train her and keep her safe in the next game and we'd get to play as her through the series and be there as she became more and more powerful... Sigh.

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
I mean that was the general thought process going into this game and what we still got what was arguably the best star wars game since the OG BF2

Well i hope they leave Respawn alone to make the sequel as they wish, but i'm sure there is some suite at EA thinking: "a single player game without mtx sold very well and made a lot of money, now imagine if we add some mtx we'll make even more money"

Game is good but restricted by the preset events in the universe. The end results of the game get cucked because of what is already set in motion. Try better in the sequel please guys otherwise A+ game don't regret buying at full price.

Nankatsu

Needs a few changes here and there, but the core game is solid.

Had a blast with the game, even though the ending was disappointing.

Codes 208

Well i hope they leave Respawn alone to make the sequel as they wish, but i'm sure there is some suite at EA thinking: "a single player game without mtx sold very well and made a lot of money, now imagine if we add some mtx we'll make even more money"
Its always possible but i feel like the backlash on BF2 made a big enough impact they’ll think twice from trying again.

honestly my eyes on are activision when it comes to shitty publisher greed

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
its a damn good game, even if it has issues. ill be there for the next one.
Now watch EA destroy the sequel with microtransactions and other bullshit
yes i was surprised at how the amount of bs in the game turned out to be zero. quite refreshing!

Castro27

I had really been hoping to hear that EA was going to focus more on single-player SW games after they said that BF3 isn't happening.

Fallen Order isn't perfect but I really liked it, and look forward to the DLC. I hope it sparked a whole new wave of solid SW campaigns
Wait, apart from the free DLC we got this week, did they announce anything else?

Fbh

I really enjoyed it, wouldn't mind a couple of sequels with a similar style and some more polish.

The biggest issue with it was honestly that it's canon and set during the timeline of the movies, it really limits what they can do with the story.

iorek21

Loved Fallen Order, that’s great news!!

But please, make strong attacks common so that they don’t require force power

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Between the success of GoW 3 and now this, I hope Stig has enough clout to tell the suits to back off and trust his and his teams vision. I believe for a fact that he's been instrumental in Jedi Fallen Order not receiving any mtx.

Last edited:

nordique

If that means I get to play as Darth Vader and slice and dice fools sign me Up

If that doesn’t, unsubscribe me from EA please lol

Last edited:

leo-j

I loved fallen order until the end with the witch crap and magical powers let alone the lady's attitude... It just seemed so out of place to me. I don't care if you have a strong female presence at all. In fact I'd rather like that. Some of my favorite Star Wars books where the young Jedi Knights and I friggin loved Jaina Solo. I just wished they would have stayed in a world with the force only. Make the female a Jedi. Or if anyone else has to have some sort of powers make them similar to the force, so like psychic or telekinesis. Something that people could find more believable for that world.

I don't know man, maybe I'm being too critical, but the end just didn't jive with me after such a strong game. I was actually really excited for what they might do next till I reached the end and it seems like this grumpy witch woman is going to be part of the crew now... I was hoping that if they picked up a female character it would be a young force sensitive girl and we'd have to train her and keep her safe in the next game and we'd get to play as her through the series and be there as she became more and more powerful... Sigh.
I think all that came from canon from clonewars, so it makes sense.

Haven't played the game yet, but I expect you are talking about this. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Witches_of_Dathomir
-> They have been "canon" since 1985 and are not an EA or Disney invention..
Yeah, actually that's exactly what I was talking about. I guess I had forgotten and just didn't make the connection because the way they where represented in game wasn't what I had imagined from the books in terms of how their powers manifested and such. But thinking on it I do remember now. I don't know. Perhaps I was being too critical. Anyway, it was really her attitude that bothered me in the end and I was hoping for a younger companion.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this is very cool. the story to this game was great. better than any SW content since Lucas.

they were forced to not use mainline characters and stuff, so they had to come up with their own, and they ended up with more interesting stuff than the movies. we had ancient Jedi and Sith ruins with towering statues everywhere. we had many different entirely new characters on the good and evil sides. the whole Sith Sisters was a great idea, far cooler than the Knights of Ren.

of course the cameos were very nice but the new stuff was great. it'll be neat to see where they take it for a sequel. see, it isn't hard to make a unique sci fi universe with the SW license. it can be done. i will be watching for the next one...

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Amazing game. There's some play control hiccups here and there but overall an outstanding product. Really looking forward to more from Respawn and Co for the Star Wars IP. Would be nice to see a "Star Wars: Bounty Hunter" game. In the style of Fallen Order, whereas you play a sort of Madalorian character and start out with not much of an arsenal on some off-beat colony ship or planet city in some corner of a galaxy. You build up in power from training, equipment from doing missions, hunting fauna, schematic upgrades for your ship. A fully customizable ship to include different forms of propulsion and hull upgrades in order to traverse different atmospheres of planets, moons, asteroids, (gas, acid rain, ice/snow, hot/humid, sand storms, aquatic/underwater). A ship you can walk around in and chill, like in Fallen Order but more detailed in things to do. Also, more detailed ability to scan and research things to better understand them. Not just in the field exploring but while on downtime travelling to another star system/planet in the comfort of a VR-esque research room/pod.

Pizdetz

Banned
Getting close to finishing this one. It starts off slow and bland but really works up to something quite good.
I don't know that I've felt like a very powerful Jedi yet, which is something I hoped for, but perhaps that's the sequel.
It seems they were also trying to borrow a lot from Dark Souls, which is not a great fit IMO for this kind of game, but it works. The game didn't really need to be a hub world, for example, and could have easily been completely linearized.
Combat is fairly good, though the timing on blocking/parrying is kinda meh. I find the force meter runs out pretty quickly and the push/pull mechanics can be buggy.
The enemy AI is pretty good, and the black enemies are pretty fun to fight. Should have had more of them.
The main character is extremely unpleasant - I wonder why they couldn't find someone more likable. The woman is good and the 4 handed thing too.
In the future it would be good if they scrapped the Dark Souls style, made you more powerful and threw more enemies at you, and gave you more 1v1 or 1vX opportunities with very tough skillful enemy AI.
I also find the saber cosmetics in chests completely useless and skip them, you barely see your saber.
In all it's a very solid game and I hope they make a sequel soon.

As long as the single player games that are in the Star Wars universe don't feed into anything ST related, I will check it out. I'm more interested in stories that take place before the prequels, and thousands of years after the OT.

Verchod

In general that's good to hear, though I didn't really enjoy the game myself. Nice to have some decent star wars games again.

Getting close to finishing this one. It starts off slow and bland but really works up to something quite good.
I don't know that I've felt like a very powerful Jedi yet, which is something I hoped for, but perhaps that's the sequel.
It seems they were also trying to borrow a lot from Dark Souls, which is not a great fit IMO for this kind of game, but it works. The game didn't really need to be a hub world, for example, and could have easily been completely linearized.
Combat is fairly good, though the timing on blocking/parrying is kinda meh. I find the force meter runs out pretty quickly and the push/pull mechanics can be buggy.
The enemy AI is pretty good, and the black enemies are pretty fun to fight. Should have had more of them.
The main character is extremely unpleasant - I wonder why they couldn't find someone more likable. The woman is good and the 4 handed thing too.
In the future it would be good if they scrapped the Dark Souls style, made you more powerful and threw more enemies at you, and gave you more 1v1 or 1vX opportunities with very tough skillful enemy AI.
I also find the saber cosmetics in chests completely useless and skip them, you barely see your saber.
In all it's a very solid game and I hope they make a sequel soon.
99 nights in star wars skin? That would be awesome

Pizdetz

Banned
Just finished it. The last few hours are pretty awesome. Like if most of the game is 7-7.5, the ending cranks it to 8-8.5.
I think what prevents it from being an amazing game is a lot of tedious parts (like backtracking), your are severely under powered in the beginning, and many of the Jedi abilities end up not being used much (or maybe that's just me). The terrain traversal is pretty cleverly designed and there are a lot of cool set pieces - I preferred the traversal much better compared to uncharted, and probably even better than Tomb Raider. The end-game light saber gameplay is pretty good, but perhaps I prefer a more batman-like fighting system, vaulting over enemies and stepping on them would have been a nice add (one ability lets you do something similar but it's cumbersome).
Out of recent games I've played this was probably the biggest surprise. The story and setup of the world around it was very clever and very entertaining, and the game is a beefy 15-20 hours too.
A few tips: the difficulty levels are properly described by the developers. So I picked the one that says you're experienced with action games (or whatever) and it was just right. Also, I played the game with only 2 stims till about 1-2 hours away from the end. Stims are very hard to find so do try to search for them (I used a walkthrough at the end). Trying to get past some of the end game sections with 2 stims was damn near impossible (no room for mistakes, basically). I also took the opportunity to unlock key health and force skills.

sol_bad

I finished the game a few weeks ago and loved it. I enjoyed the backtracking and exploration elements too. Combat was enjoyable, if anyone has issues with timing just make sure you have game mode turned on for your TV.
:)

sobaka770

Banned
I must say, I found the game quite mediocre. It's competent but it doesn't shine in any aspect and some elements like exploration, animations and combat are just sloppy at times.

It doesn't help that the story is somewhat underwritten, I could never really relate to characters on the ship, their interactions lack emotional depth and the payoffs are mostly undeserved by the end of the story. It doesn't help that the best crew member in terms of writing and potential interactions (imo) you only obtain almost at game end.

If they do a sequel
and judging by the ending of first game we have to finish this crew's story in some form
I hope they can flesh out the characters more
especially Kestis who is just so boring
, tidy up the controls and combat and if they don't have any cool collectibles or actual fun stuff to collect - then don't do it! This game would've done very well as a linear story-driven game!

Hm, prob not in my top ten. Not a big fan of Cal (the actor just bothers me - it’s a weird thing). But they were solid with the look and world building and general story. Kinda like a better version of Force Unleashed.

Top Bottom