• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge previews 40 hours of Final Fantasy XV

Mediking

#Real Talk
I bought a $400 dollar PS4 just to play FFXV episode Duscae (well and an extra $60 for Type 0)

Just bought a KS8000 Samsung TV 55" 4k HDR and A PS4 PRO

It was all for the prince

I have ZERO doubts this will be the game that makes me change my avatar name one day :)

Another Noctis avatar on GAF incoming.

Having played every Final Fantasy imaginable except 13 stuff, if the ending is convoluted and impossible to find real world meaning, as well as a monstrous boss that makes no sense as to why it exists other than the fact that it has existed the entire game without you realizing it, it's Final Fantasy done.

Sounds like there are alot people expecting very different things from this game, which foretells mixed reviews.

TannerDemoz

It definitely is. The setting, the music, the monster designs, the battle system, the characters, the story. All so damn good.

NWyAD7.gif

It definitely is. The setting, the music, the monster designs, the battle system, the characters, the story. All so damn good.

Even if you can assent to all of these things being good (I think the first three things are good, the battle system is fine albeit too focused on easy kill strats, and the characters/story are boring), exploring the world and progressing through the game is super unrewarding and uninteresting.

Same problem I have with Pokemon and a bunch of other JRPGs that have come out recently.

Mar Nosso

Banned
The best thing about this is that worst case mr. Nomuras legacy is not tarnished by this game. 😉

The fact he was incompetent enough to not be able to finish this project, even taking into account the shuffling of people to help with FFXIII and XIV, has already tarnished his reputation.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
FFX has it high peak moments but I'm not giving "SPAM YOUR SUMMONS" the Game a 10.

Well it is definitely a very easy game. But it never bothered me. I just use the characters and never the Aeons. I'm a sucker for a good (for my tastes) love story and FFX really moved me. Plus I absolutely adore the backstory of Spira and the aquatic/tropical theme of the world.

And I might lose some new friends here but...
I prefer the Remastered OST. It's one of my favorite FF soundtracks ever in that form.

OrionX

May the FF wars commence. It's a never-ending battle, one that transcends time and space, much like the war between Caius and the Goddess Lightning.

Fou-Lu

Well it is definitely a very easy game. But it never bothered me. I just use the characters and never the Aeons. I'm a sucker for a good (for my tastes) love story and FFX really moved me. Plus I absolutely adore the backstory of Spira and the aquatic/tropical theme of the world.

I prefer the Remastered OST. It's one of my favorite FF soundtracks ever in that form.

Nope I agree with everything you said, including preferring the remastered OST.

Weird these FF X ratings people are throwing around. It is definitely a mastapiece. Thought it was universally loved? Since we're doing this:

FF X - 10
FF XII - 12
FF XIII - 7

jb1234

Weird these FF X ratings people are throwing around. It is definitely a mastapiece. Thought it was universally loved? Since we're doing this:

FF X - 10
FF XII - 12
FF XIII - 7

There isn't a single FF game that is universally loved. X is actually one of the more divisive ones.

DrBretto

Banned

FF X - 10
FF XII - 12
FF XIII - 7

There is nothing universally loved in this fanbase.

Your numbers are accurate though.

Mediking

I was enjoying FFX alot until I kept seeing Seymour every 5 seconds. Then the spamming Summons thing happened. Then the "use Auron's Grid to get alotta HP" thing happened.

wmlk

Thing is, FFX is so braindead and dependent entirely on using Summons in a pinch, that I just rotated my party and made sure everyone got hits in so I could get experience for all of my party members. Then, I brought in Yuna to do her thing with the Summons. Rinse and repeat for every encounter.

Literally every encounter, even the basic ones since the whole experience sharing thing is trash and that's the only way to keep your party on the same level.

Mediking

Thing is, FFX is so braindead and dependent entirely on using Summons in a pinch, that I just rotated my part and made sure everyone got hits in so I could get experience for all of my party members. Then, I brought in Yuna to do her thing with the Summons. Rinse and repeat for every encounter.

Literally every encounter, even the basic ones since the whole experience sharing thing is trash and that's the only way to keep your party on the same level.

Exactly and people say that FFX is a 10 despite this? C'mon.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Thing is, FFX is so braindead and dependent entirely on using Summons in a pinch, that I just rotated my party and made sure everyone got hits in so I could get experience for all of my party members. Then, I brought in Yuna to do her thing with the Summons. Rinse and repeat for every encounter.

I don't understand. Why did you use summons to end every encounter? That would take more time, I'd think, than just finishing battles by way of physical attacks once you've swapped everyone in. I dunno, though; I guess the game does have the abbreviated summoning option.

wmlk

I don't understand. Why did you use summons to end every encounter? That would take more time, I'd think, than just finishing battles by way of physical attacks once you've swapped everyone in. I dunno, though; I guess the game does have the abbreviated summoning option.

Oh sorry, I didn't summon for every encounter. I just made sure everyone got their hits in every encounter, which lengthened the play time. It felt like one of the only ways to keep everyone viable to use, and it's a mechanic that I really can't defend.

Mediking

Now that NoctisVsStar is actually back, I'm super tempted to drop my "LTTP: FFX "Daddy Issues & the Girl of My Dreams".

There IS special moments in FFX. Oh, there ARE. But the special moments don't dwarf out the bad. Hell, this will inevitably happen to FFXV too. Special moments and some bad ones.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Oh sorry, I didn't summon for every encounter. I just made sure everyone got their hits in every encounter, which lengthened the play time. It felt like one of the only ways to keep everyone viable to use, and it's a mechanic that I really can't defend.

Ohhh, gotcha.

Yeah, I, ah... I love that game, but it's definitely not perfect. The switch-in thing is cool but I think giving everyone 1/2 experience even if they didn't participate may have gone a long way toward avoiding the more chore-ish aspects of that system.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Personal opinion: The only FFs that aren't great are II, III, XII, and XIII and its spinoffs. XII is the best of the "not great" bunch.

Didn't know this was a thing. But you can play game however you want, there will always be some way to break it. Doesn't mean you can't play it another way and enjoy it thoroughly. Just the battle arena makes FF X a 9 for me. Then the Dark Aeons are a great challenge, the story is nice and it has some pretty memorable characters. And the OST has some of the best pieces in the series. I could never get into Blitzball though.

OT, the previewer impression was positive overall and this whole not completed and confusing business is weird so will wait and see. It seems the decade of wait will pay off if I don't expect Sephiroth growing wings and summoning a Solar System destroying comet level.

Top Bottom