• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM's E3 Grades

Yeah, the GBA's E3 showing was pretty weak, but maybe I'm just a little spoiled after last year's amazing lineup. I still can't get over how good it was.

brandonnn said:
Played it, had a lot of fun, dug the character art, got really confused because I was sure you'd implied here that all 4 of the upcoming titles would be represented at e3, couldn't find an Orbital booth, shrugged, played it a little more, had fun.

Thanks for trying. We didn't actually find out what Nintendo was going to show until VERY late. It was looking good for everything and then Nintendo decided to scale back everything on the GBA side. I think the title gets shown more as a 4 player airplane and air terminal type of thing lately. ;-)

Besides, I pretty much got owned by GAF member "Society" asking about release dates. -_-;

fenekku-gitsune: What was bothering me more in particular is that despite being right beside Mario Party, coverage seemed to go "...and thats Mario Party over there. Okay, thats a wrap." If we had a version of that cloaking technology seen in the other thread I imagine the game would have had MORE coverage.

Oh well. As long as its all in the shadows, the rants will have to go to my blog site. (Note: no game specific rants yet. Dragon Quest V is too distracting.)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Anyone have their comments in brief about Slugfest? I know there's a system war being fought here but I just want to know if I should get the game.

zork007

"Forget the EA/Microsoft deal. That may be the foundation for the rising popularity of the Xbox, but EA wasn't the reason to be excited at E3. One trip to the Xbox booth revealed the biggest crowds at the show - a situation somewhat exaggerated by the walls encompassing the booth, but still an impressive sight. Gamers were lining up to play racing games, sports games, two highly notable action RPGs in the form of Jade Empire and Fable, as well as Doom III and the surprisingly good Chronicles of Riddick. Unfortunately we missed the Halo 2 event, and judging by the size of the line, we're sure a lot of others did too. MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf and Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict drew considerable interest from the multiplayer crowd.

The Xbox absolutely crushed all its console competition. The only PlayStation 2 games to receive as much attention are the next Metal Gear Solid (which drew audiences for the giant screen video reminiscent of Metal Gear Solid 2), and Gran Turismo 4 (it looks absolutely amazing, the driving physics are terrifyingly realistic). This surprising success for Microsoft's console bodes well for Xbox 2, particularly since the Xbox isn't riding on the strength of any single title alone. Sure, there's no game as big as Metal Gear Solid 2 was at E3 2000, or Doom 3 in 2001, but the Xbox has just the most solid lineup overall and is nicely complemented by Xbox Live."

http://www.firingsquad.com/features/e3_2004_conclusion_awards/page4.asp

I think he's the guy who's making the Pirate SRPG for the GBA, which looked cool as hell when he showed screens. They should be reposted.

neptunes

pirate-battle-200405070814424.jpg

pirate-battle-200405070814034.jpg

pirate-battle-200405070814549.jpg

you're designing this?

Kuroyume said:
Wtf? Did you not see Resident Evil 4 or Metroid Prime 2? Paper Mario? Baiten Kaitos? Give me a break...
While those games were good at the show, overall Nintendo's presence didn't stretch very far from their booth. The MS booth was just as impressive content-wise but the reason why I give the GC an overall C is because of the apparent lack of support by majority of the other developers/publishers. Throughout the show, majority of the kiosks housed either PS2s or Xboxes. YMMV but that's my opinion.

And no, I'm not an Xbot. With the exception of about 6-8 games at the show, I was disappointed with the GC.

Mr_Furious said:
reason why I give the GC an overall C is because of the apparent lack of support by majority of the other developers/publishers. .

And that surprised you after all this time? Its the Nintendo Difference.

jarrod

Banned
Mr_Furious said:
The MS booth was just as impressive content-wise but the reason why I give the GC an overall C is because of the apparent lack of support by majority of the other developers/publishers.

-Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Attack of the Twonkies
-Amazing Island
-Army Men: Sarge's War
-Baten Kaitos
-Call of Duty: Finest Hour
-Carmen Sandiego: The Secret of the Stolen Drums
-Catwoman
-Chicken Little
-Crash Twinsanity
-Dead Rush
-Def Jam Fight for NY
-Digimon Rumble Arena 2
-Digimon World 4
-Disney/Pixar's The Incredibles
-Dreamworks' Shark Tale
-FIFA Soccer 2005
-Fairly OddParents: The Shadow Showdown
-Far Cry Instincts
-Future Tactics: The Uprising
-GT Cube
-Get On Da Floor
-Get On Da Mic
-GoldenEye: Rogue Agent
-Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
-Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (Girl's Version)
-King Arthur
-Killer 7
-Last Job, The
-Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
-Lord of the Rings, The: The Third Age
-Madden NFL 2005
-Mega Man Anniversary Collection
-Mega Man X Command Mission
-Men of Valor
-Midway Arcade Treasures 2
-Movies, The
-NASCAR 2005: Chase for the Cup
-NBA Live 2005
-NCAA Football 2005
-NCAA March Madness 2005
-NHL 2005
-Nicktoons
-Polar Express, The
-Power Rangers: Dino Thunder
-Prince of Persia 2
-Puyo Pop Fever
-Resident Evil 4
-Ribbit King
-Room Zoom: Race For Impact
-SRS: Street Racing Syndicate
-Serious Sam: Next Encounter
-Scaler: The Shapeshifting Chameleon
-Secomd Sight
-Spider-Man 2
-SpongeBob SquarePants: The Movie
-Spyro the Dragon: A Hero's Tail
-StarCraft: Ghost
-Tak 2: The Staff of Dreams
-Tales of Symphonia
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battle Nexus
-Terminator 3: The Redemption
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005
-TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
-Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3
-Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
-Tony Hawk's Underground 2
-Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2
-URBZ, The: Sims in the City
-Viewtiful Joe 2
-Virtua Quest
-WWE Day of Reckoning
-War Chess
-World Championship Pool
-X-Men Legends
-Zoids: Battle Legends

...that's a downright embarrassing lack of support right there, it is.

jarrod said:
*-Amazing Island
*-Baten Kaitos
*-Call of Duty: Finest Hour
*-Catwoman
*-Future Tactics: The Uprising
*-GT Cube
*-GoldenEye: Rogue Agent
*-Killer 7
*-Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
*-Mega Man X Command Mission
*-Movies, The
-Prince of Persia 2
-Resident Evil 4
-StarCraft: Ghost
-Tales of Symphonia
-TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
-Viewtiful Joe 2
* -X-Men Legends

I would cull that list even more to remove multiplatform titles and a couple I gave the benefit of the doubt (marked *). Support's support but good support... ehh.. So yes; kind of embarassing.

efralope said:
Remember this is the same EGM that stated XBox a winner over GCN before the systems were even released...

Well from the way things look, that's going to be the case atleast from the general public (going by sales). So they weren't completely wrong.

jarrod

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
I would cull that list even more to remove multiplatform titles and a couple I gave the benefit of the doubt (marked *). Support's support but good support... ehh.. So yes; kind of embarassing.
You're placing your own subjective ideas of good and bad on the list though. For example, I'd say Puyo Pop Fever is probably one of the highest quality games on that list (and maybe Sega's best game releasing this year even). Overall I'd say GameCube has solid 3rd party support, still better than N64 or Dreamcast ever had it, even if it's getting scaled back overall.

efralope said:
Remember this is the same EGM that stated XBox a winner over GCN before the systems were even released...

Well, just about everywhere outside of Japan, XBOX is the better-selling, more popular console. The gap has widened considerably. Now if Nintendo had reacted to and changed for the market as MS has, this might not be the case.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
SolidSnakex said:
Well from the way things look, that's going to be the case atleast from the general public (going by sales). So they weren't completely wrong.

i almost feel as if it were a self fulfilling prophecy on the part of these mags. the GC suffered and continues to suffer from extreme anti-hype generated by the mainstream press.

quadriplegicjon said:
i almost feel as if it were a self fulfilling prophecy on the part of these mags. the GC suffered and continues to suffer from extreme anti-hype generated by the mainstream press.

Self-fulifilling nothing. GC had received as much, if not more positive press for the first leg of the generation. Nintendo simply didn't have what more people wanted.

quadriplegicjon said:

I think most magazines were really happy about the GC when it was originally announced. I really don't remember much negativity about it. In fact both the PS2 and Xbox recieved much more negativity when they were both launched. The PS2 was suppose to bomb because of its price and because Sony was a fluke, and the Xbox was suppose to bomb because MS didn't have any idea as to what they were doing.

It's just Nintendo doesn't do what people want. Most people didn't want connectivity, they wanted online play. But Nintendo once again did what they want. That upset people. Then you've got the whole Zelda issue which really upset people. So Nintendo's done their fair share of essentially sabotaging the GC.

MightyHedgehog said:
Self-fulifilling nothing. GC had received as much, if not more positive press for the first leg of the generation. Nintendo simply didn't have what more people wanted.

agreed. The press were trumpeting MP "game of the year""game of the year""game of the year""game of the year""game of the year""game of the year" but the sales were crap.

And all this because Nintendo launched an uncool purple box that led to the shift in public perception. It wasn't all about the games.

jarrod said:
I'd say Puyo Pop Fever is probably one of the highest quality games on that list (and maybe Sega's best game releasing this year even).QUOTE]

and I'd say NO because quality aside. Its a bit stupid looking and won't sell by the bucketloads.

element

actually I'd say that MS had the weaker show. Their press con was boring as; unsurprising and hell
ohh, and that Sony press conference was so much better by using POWERPOINT!! Sony's was like a lame stock holders meeting without voting for anyone. Outside of the PSP, they really had nothing else to show.

jarrod, of all those games you listed, only 16 are exclusive from I could find. Not great 3rd party support if you ask me.

it would have been interesting to see what others thought of the development of the character design.
IGN did a story on the evolution of the design in Sudeki.

Here is how I could grade it.
M$ = B+
Nintendo = C+
Sony = B
PC = B

Particle Physicist

*blinks* you guys must have missed all those nintendo is doomed articles written the past couple of years. :/

but i do agree that nintendo messed up.. by not embracing online, and fucking up europe.

jarrod said:
What was announced and what was displayed on the show floor are two totally different things. I'm going by "presence" as I've stated. A lot of those games were not at E3 on the GC even if they were "announced".

TheGreenGiant said:
And that surprised you after all this time? Its the Nintendo Difference.
Not surprised at all actually but you're right, it is the Nintendo difference I suppose.

jarrod

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
and I'd say NO because quality aside. Its a bit stupid looking and won't sell by the bucketloads.
That goes for the majority of games on all platforms. Besides, if sales are your imaginary requirement for what counts now then why ignore Madden, Digimon, Spider-Man, etc?

jarrod said:
That goes for the majority of games on all platforms. Besides, if sales are your imaginary requirement for what counts now then why ignore Madden, Digimon, Spider-Man, etc?

cause they'd sell more on XBOX. Digimon is poorman's pokemon. I hate it. (But I've also never played a Pokemon game except Snap)

emerge

SolidSnakex said:
[...]In fact both the PS2 and Xbox recieved much more negativity when they were both launched. [...]

Both mainstream and so-called "professional" media were quite happy to echo ridiculous PR statements without challenging them. If anything, Nintendo PR was lacking.

SolidSnakex said:
[...] Most people didn't want connectivity, they wanted online play. [...]

That's pushing it a bit, I'd hardly call the number of Live and NA adopters "most people".

jarrod

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
cause they'd sell more on XBOX. Digimon is poorman's pokemon. I hate it. (But I've also never played a Pokemon game except Snap)
What? Why should that matter? Madden will still sell 200-300k on GameCube and it's still a significant release. Also Digimon's a rather popular IP and the new games look high quality... again your subjective list just sucks. Sorry. It's irrational and inconsistant at best.

emerge said:
That's pushing it a bit, I'd hardly call the number of Live and NA adopters "most people".

How many people would prefer connectivity over online? Especially in the media. Just look at magazine reactions to connectivity in comparison to online play. Connectivity is very much a hated aspect of gaming. Once you get so many magazine and sites against you, you're basically going down. Nintendo does a good job of just making really dumb decisions that don't sit well with alot of people outside of their hardcore fanbase.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
How many people would prefer connectivity over online? Especially in the media. Just look at magazine reactions to connectivity in comparison to online play. Connectivity is very much a hated aspect of gaming. Once you get so many magazine and sites against you, you're basically going down. Nintendo does a good job of just making really dumb decisions that don't sit well with alot of people outside of their hardcore fanbase.
Hasn't FFCC already outsold PSO?

Particle Physicist

SolidSnakex said:

i bet connectivity would have been received much better if they had gone online as well.. people saw it as a poor mans substitute... or at least the PRESS did.

emerge said:

but in the press... we'd have online vs connectivity. Connectivity loses by a yard stick. Plus they keep hammering it in; rightly I guess.

jarrod said:
What? Why should that matter? Madden will still sell 200-300k on GameCube and it's still a significant release. Also Digimon's a rather popular IP and the new games look high quality... again your subjective list just sucks. Sorry. It's irrational and inconsistant at best.

FYI, I took out mostly the 3rd party/multiplatform titles for the gamecube list. A) Better on the XBOX b) Multiplatform titles clog up shelfspace c) Meh. You kind of surprised me when you metioned the titles even after I discounted the multi titles. And for a reason. Eg. SCPT will be sucky on GC. And when was the last time a multi sold best on the cube.

My subective list is the cream of the crop that makes people go "wow, we can get these ONLY on the gamecube". I should have culled Starcraft, Goldeneye and TS3 from my list too (they remained only because they were/could be AA+)

quadriplegicjon said:
*blinks* you guys must have missed all those nintendo is doomed articles written the past couple of years. :/

Yeah, after it was clear that Nintendo wasn't delivering did those types of articles and talk start to really mass up. Initially, though, I read far, far more negative press about XBOX than that of the GC. MS was thought to be an also-ran, due to their inexperience and lack of long-established franchises. After the first year, it started to be clear that they were not just going to fizzle out and actually had a chance to rival Nintendo.

but i do agree that nintendo messed up.. by not embracing online, and fucking up europe.

Absolutely. But the lack of fresh and exciting software released from Nintendo itself is the biggest culprit, IMO. They have simply proven that reliance on previously established franchises is not enough to hold up any console that is not the GB line. Everyone expected Zelda, Mario, and the rest. There needs to be more.

People complain and make fun of MS releasing so many titles that aren't blockbusters, but they break even and are considered failures. The thing is variety. Sure, XBOX has an overabundance of FPS and racing titles, but they also have more different types of games to offer more people, leading to more potential system sales.

jarrod said:

It better sell more, the FF name is much bigger than PSO. But just look at Zelda's sales in Japan. It still hasn't sold 100k (although it might have recently sold that much).

jarrod said:

you'd wish the 1st square game on the cube after yonks would sell well. It was pretty. I bought it for the 2 above factors and it was very average.

MightyHedgehog said:
Yeah, after it was clear that Nintendo wasn't delivering did those types of articles and talk start to really mass up. Initially, though, I read far, far more negative press about XBOX than that of the GC. MS was thought to be an also-ran, due to their inexperience and lack of long-established franchises. After the first year, it started to be clear that they were not just going to fizzle out and actually had a chance to rival Nintendo.

Absolutely. But the lack of fresh and exciting software released from Nintendo itself is the biggest culprit, IMO. They have simply proven that reliance on previously established franchises is not enough to hold up any console that is not the GB line. Everyone expected Zelda, Mario, and the rest. There needs to be more.

People complain and make fun of MS releasing so many titles that aren't blockbusters, but they break even and are considered failures. The thing is variety. Sure, XBOX has an overabundance of FPS and racing titles, but they also have more different types of games to offer more people, leading to more potential system sales.

I agree with most of what you've said. Xbox has variety and abundance. I wouldn't say they break even though. I believe PGR2 Amped 2 Orta, JSRF... stacks and stacks of MS titles are losing money.

jarrod

Banned
Also, here's the 3rd party GBA list too...

-Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Attack of the Twonkies
-Astro Boy: Omega Factor
-Backyard Basketball
-Banjo Pilot
-Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper
-Bejweled
-Beyblade G-REVOLUTION
-Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django
-Bookworm
-Cartoon Network: Block Party
-Catwoman
-Crash Bandicoot Purple: Ripto's Rampage
-Dead to Rights
-Digimon Wireless Racing
-Disney's Aladdin
-Disney's Kim Possible 2: Drakken's Demise
-Disney's Lilo & Stitch 2
-Disney's Lizzie McGuire 2
-Disney's Magical Quest 3 Starring Mickey and Donald
-Disney's That's So Raven
-Disney/Pixar's Finding Nemo: The Continuing Adventures
-Disney/Pixar's The Incredibles
-Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury
-Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors
-Duel Masters: Sempai Legends
-FIFA Soccer 2005
-Fairly OddParents: The Shadow Showdown
-Gundam Seed: Battle Assault
-Hardcore Pool
-Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
-Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town (Girl's Version)
-Hot Wheels Stunt Track Challenge
-I-Ninja
-Juka and the Monophonic Menace
-kill.switch
-Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
-LEGO Knights Kingdom
-Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
-Madden NFL 2005
-Mega Man Battle Network 4: Blue Moon
-Mega Man Battle Network 4: Red Sun
-Mega Man Zero 3
-Metal Slug Advance
-Micro Machines
-Mighty Beanz Pocket Puzzles
-Ms. Pac Man: Maze Madness
-Nicktoons
-Oggy and the Cockroaches
-Pac-Man World 20th Anniversary
-Payback
-Pirate Battle
-Polar Express, The
-Power Rangers: Dino Thunder
-Racing Gears Advance
-Rave Master: Dual Explosion
-River City Ransom EX
-Rugrats: All Grown Up!
-SD Gundam Force
-Sabre Wulf
-Scurge: Hive
-Serious Sam Advance
-Shaman King: Master of Spirits
-Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
-Shrek 2
-Smashing Drive
-Sonic Advance 3
-Spider-Man 2
-SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, The
-Spyro Orange: The Cortex Conspiracy
-SuperStar Tennis
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battle Nexus
-Ten Pin Alley 2
-Thunder Alley
-Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: The Pumpkin King
-Tokyo Xtreme Racer Advance
-Tony Hawk's Underground 2
-Trick Star
-Tron 2.0: Killer App
-Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2
-Ultimate Card Games
-Ultimate Pocket Games
-URBZ, The: Sims in the City
-Van Helsing
-WWE Survivor
-XS Moto
-Xyanide
-Yu-Gi-Oh! Reshef of Destruction
-Zoids: Legacy

...and 1st party...

-Classic NES Series
-Donkey Kong Country 2
-Donkey Kong: King of Swing
-Final Fantasy I+II Advance
-F-Zero: GP Legend
-Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Games
-Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
-Legend of Zelda, The: Minish Cap
-Mario Golf: Advance Tour
-Mario Party Advance
-Mario Pinball
-Mario Tennis
-Mario Vs Donkey Kong
-Pokemon Fire Red
-Pokemon Leaf Green

...plus the GBA Video lineup and the GBA Wireless Adapter.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It better sell more, the FF name is much bigger than PSO. But just look at Zelda's sales in Japan. It still hasn't sold 100k (although it might have recently sold that much).
Well, Zelda's a 2D game. Y'know just the sort of thing you like to remind everyone is in severe decline and public doesn't want. ;)

jarrod

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
FYI, I took out mostly the 3rd party/multiplatform titles for the gamecube list. A) Better on the XBOX b) Multiplatform titles clog up shelfspace c) Meh. You kind of surprised me when you metioned the titles even after I discounted the multi titles. And for a reason. Eg. SCPT will be sucky on GC. And when was the last time a multi sold best on the cube.

My subective list is the cream of the crop that makes people go "wow, we can get these ONLY on the gamecube". I should have culled Starcraft, Goldeneye and TS3 from my list too (they remained only because they were/could be AA+)
Er...wasn't the argument over GCN lacking 3rd party support? So multiplatform games don't count? Do they count on PS2/XBox?

jarrod said:
Well, Zelda's a 2D game. Y'know just the sort of thing you like to remind everyone is in severe decline and public doesn't want. ;)

It's still a Zelda game which makes a big difference.

Besides how many people do you see saying "Man I hope this game has some awesome connectivity" compared to those wanting online play? Not too many. Connectivity is something Nintendo wanted to take the place of online play and it clearly didn't work that way that's why they're already going online with the DS and probably with the next Nintendo console. They were proven wrong just like with carts. They've just gotta stop taking so long to realise this.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
neptunes said:
pirate-battle-200405070814424.jpg

pirate-battle-200405070814034.jpg

pirate-battle-200405070814549.jpg

you're designing this?

Hehe, that character art reminds me of One Piece. Looks great.
You're a fan of One Piece, right Crazymoogle?...unless my memory is out sailing. :p

AniHawk

SolidSnakex said:

I'm sure it has. By the time it dropped off, it was at 83k. It was released a month or two ago, right? I'd bet sales are up around 110k-120k.

Plus, being a 2D game at full price probably didn't help things much.

Just checked game-science.com to see what the last sales were at. Media Create counted only the first week. Enterbrain data had for two weeks at 85,000. However, that coincided with the ending of any sort of Enterbrain data at all. It was the last week we've gotten any such thing.

And what happened to Dengeki? And Dorimanga? There's still Famitsu, but that only has a top 30.

And wasn't this week NPD week?

AniHawk

SolidSnakex said:

Besides how many people do you see saying "Man I hope this game has some awesome connectivity" compared to those wanting online play? Not too many. Connectivity is something Nintendo wanted to take the place of online play and it clearly didn't work that way that's why they're already going online with the DS and probably with the next Nintendo console. They were proven wrong just like with carts. They've just gotta stop taking so long to realise this.

Yeah... I don't think Nintendo wanted to create something in place of OL permanently, just something other consoles can't do while they sought out a way to go on the internet with no extra costs to themselves or consumers. Apparently they've found a way.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

All I'm saying is connectivity seems to have done better on their own platform. And Nintendo never pushed connectivity as a substiute for online, I dare you to find any mention or quote from Nintendo or Nintendo PR even resembling that. Nintendo's had R&D for networking going for the past two decades almost...

Alcibiades

SolidSnakex said:

you're joking right?

jarrod said:
All I'm saying is connectivity seems to have done better on their own platform. And Nintendo never pushed connectivity as a substiute for online, I dare you to find any mention or quote from Nintendo or Nintendo PR even resembling that. Nintendo's had R&D for networking going for the past two decades almost...

Ofcourse they didn't say it, but it's very obvious that's what it was a substitute for (atleast for the moment). Both involve a different type of multiplayer gaming, it's just that one works for most people and the other doesn't. The connectivity way also fit into Nintendo's plan of not losing money, which is why Nintendo didn't want to go online.

THe main reason connectivity didn't work is because it was too forced. The majority of time with online gaming is that you can still play an offline multiplayer. With connectivity you were forced to play it one way and one way online you had no other choice.

AniHawk said:
Yeah... I don't think Nintendo wanted to create something in place of OL permanently, just something other consoles can't do while they sought out a way to go on the internet with no extra costs to themselves or consumers. Apparently they've found a way.

To existing owners of the GBA, and besides the cost of buying the handheld version in addition the home version, sure. For expanding the audience, it costs quite a bit to partake of the Connectivity bit. That's the primary reason why games that rely on it will probably never be all that popular.

Alcibiades

how was connectivity an "obvious substitute" for online gaming?

tons of connectivity games aren't multiplayer, in fact the first (Sonic Adventure 2: Battle) was a 1p game, and many of the connectivity features can be anywhere from 1-4 players...

plus, how is the fact that there are multiplayer connectivity games a "Nintendo substitute" for online gaming any more than "regular" multiplayer games like Wario Ware and Smash Brothers that try to get people to play with more than one person?

connectivity involves a "very different" form of one-player gaming too, so I don't get where Nintendo doing connectivity as challenge to online (which they have invested quite a bit anyways going back more than a decade, inlcluding some satellite type thing they were researching)...

Top Bottom