• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EIZO Releases the FORIS FG2421 240 Hz Gaming Monitor (VA panel + strobing)

EIZO Corporation today announced the 23.5-inch FORIS FG2421, the world's first gaming monitor with a 240 Hz refresh rate. The FORIS FG2421 also features a low input lag and gaming preset modes that were developed with professional gamers to make it ideal for first-person shooter, racing, fighting, and other fast-action genres.

The FORIS FG2421 comes with a new feature called Turbo 240 that surpasses the 120 Hz refresh rate of conventional gaming monitors. Turbo 240 converts 120 Hz signals to 240 Hz by controlling the blinking of the LED backlight. This high refresh rate along with a response time of less than 1 ms produces the smoothest image display available on a gaming monitor.

The FORIS FG2421 is the first gaming monitor with a refresh rate of 120 Hz or more to use a VA (vertical alignment) LCD panel. The VA panel provides a wide viewing angle of 176° and a high native contrast ratio of 5000:1 for deep blacks. This high contrast ratio increases visibility in dark scenes making it easier to spot enemies.

EIZO developed its own integrated circuit to minimize the input lag or the time it takes for commands from a keyboard, mouse, or controller to appear on the screen. With a 60 Hz input signal the input lag is less than one frame and with a 120 Hz signal it is less than 1.5 frames.

Two color modes for FPS (first-person shooter) and one for RTS (real-time strategy) games are included. The FPS and RTS modes were co-developed with professional gamers from Fnatic, a leading eSports team, to provide ideal brightness, contrast, and gamma settings. Three fully-customizable modes for users who want to import and export their own settings are also built-in.

EIZO is bundling its new software, ScreenManager Pro for Gaming, with the FORIS FG2421. This software lets users download gaming presets used by professional gamers from gaming.eizo.com or export their own customized color modes to other gamers who also own the FORIS FG2421. ScreenManager Pro for Gaming can also be used to assign hot keys to turn the monitor's power and mute on/off, as well as adjust the color mode and screen size. It is compatible with Windows 8, 7, and Vista.

HDMI, DisplayPort, and DVI-D ports provide connectivity with PCs, consoles, Blu-ray players and cameras. A USB hub with one upstream and two downstream ports lets users connect peripherals such as a mouse and keyboard to the monitor. A line-out jack for connecting to external speakers and a headphone jack provide further functionality.

Fast action games are often played at resolutions less than the monitor's native 1920 x 1080. To allow for using the full 23.5-inch screen, the user can enlarge the image while maintaining the aspect ratio or expand it to fill the entire screen.

The FORIS FG2421 is designed to provide viewing comfort over long hours of gameplay. With the Turbo 240 set to off, the FORIS FG2421 maintains a refresh rate of 120 Hz and uses EIZO's own hybrid technology for providing flicker-free images at any brightness level. A sensor on the front of the monitor detects the ambient brightness and adjusts the screen's brightness to the ideal level which saves energy and prevents eyestrain. The sensor can enabled/disabled by the user.

The FORIS FG2421 debuts a new cabinet design. The back of the monitor features an illuminated EIZO logo on a glossy surface that is surrounded by a vermillion frame. Above this frame is a handle for carrying the monitor to a LAN party or gaming event. For viewing comfort, the stand provides 60 mm of height adjustment, 25° of tilt and 344° of swivel. A cable holder contributes to a clutter-free desktop.

The five-year manufacturer's warranty ensures a long service life and is significantly longer than the three-year warranty of most gaming monitors.

http://www.techpowerup.com/193506/eizo-releases-the-foris-fg2421-240-hz-gaming-monitor.html

Finally someone did it and it's supposed to cost only 450 euro.

Edit: Price seems to be closer to 500 euro for now.

Easy to understand explanation from Mark why it's big deal:

Apparently, that's how it works. It strobes at 120Hz according to an Eizo manual:

* 1. First pass LCD refresh is overdriven, in total darkness. (erases previous refresh)
* 2. Second pass LCD refresh is clean, in total darkness. (erases overdriven refresh)
* 3. Strobe backlight flashes at end of second pass refresh. (clean refresh seen by eyes)

Rinse and repeat; 120 times per second; clean refreshes without objectionable overdrive. So it's more visually like a 120Hz CRT, and the computer only needs to send 120 frames per second. The 240Hz is marketing, but there's apparently a scientific reason why it's using 240Hz to clean-up the VA panel.

So we finally are getting a LightBoost-equivalent on a VA panel. Win.

Oh my fucking god, its even a VA panel so its got blacks that aren't utter shit. I wonder if strobing can solve VA's motion problems.

And its even an Eizo. I actually expect the implementation to be somewhat good.

commissar

Oh man. I love my 120hz monitor but the TN colours are awful for everything not Quake/CS/TF2.
This has my full attention.

komplanen

In Finland the price of this monitor is well above 500€. Finland is expensive as hell but don't expect any super low prices either. I ordered mine anyway since I fully trust FlatPanelsHD's reviews and would love a 120Hz monitor with good colors. Also my current 120Hz monitor is 27" and sometimes I prefer to play PC games windowed so I see the full picture better. I guess 24" will serve me better. Will have to wait and see.

1080p and it ain't nothin' but a g-sync either.

Lol.
People who say this have no concept of what G-sync even is. The technology is here to stay.
image.php

120 hz that isn't TN, huh

I wonder what the response time is (the actual response time, not the pr rubbish 1ms)
edit: oh saw the review link, reading
ok so there is no mention of the response time or any pictures showing the amount of trailing or overshoot, really sloppy I thought flatpanelshd was more thorough?

va panels are too blurry for gaming normally, if they managed to make one that is sharp (well for the low standards with lcd panels) it could be really good.

I wish I could see one of these irl and spend an hour gaming on them to get a feel for it, My crt won't last forever :(

In Finland the price of this monitor is well above 500€. Finland is expensive as hell but don't expect any super low prices either. I ordered mine anyway since I fully trust FlatPanelsHD's reviews and would love a 120Hz monitor with good colors. Also my current 120Hz monitor is 27" and sometimes I prefer to play PC games windowed so I see the full picture better. I guess 24" will serve me better. Will have to wait and see.

Press release on Eizo website says 449.

So either it's initial price gouging or just a Finland thing with scandinavian taxes.

dr_rus

Good. Now go make the second one, with G-Sync and 2560x1600 30".

I wouldn't get too attached to Gsync, it wont last long.
Sure it will. Whatever industry standard tech will be made for this it'll be based on G-Sync and all products with it will likely be G-Sync compatible.

boinx

Damn, I was just looking to buy the Foris FS2331-BK.

This one seems a little bit too expensive for my taste though.

komplanen

Press release on Eizo website says 449.

So either it's initial price gouging or just a Finland thing with scandinavian taxes.

Both. Taxes are high and companies often jump in with higher prices. For an example PS4 costs roughly around 450€ with some exceptions, despite Sony going for 399€ price point.

Dennis

Banned
That is nice but I need something that combines 4K resolution, large 30" screen, IPS, 240 Hz and G-sync.

No half measures.

komplanen

Actually ended up getting too scared about the gamma shifting and cancelled my preorder. Will wait for more than one review and preferably user experience.

Gamma shift is still a problem with AMVA monitors so there won't be any need to read any other review. The contrast provided is 5000:1 so its definitely a product from AUO.

That is nice but I need something that combines 4K resolution, large 30" screen, IPS, 240 Hz and G-sync.

No half measures.

That's already a half measure since that monitor will near guaranteed have shit black depth and backlight bleed everywhere. I actually think VA is a good decision provided 120hz + backlight strobing can eliminate most of the ghosting that is inherent with VA monitors.

Gamma shift is only a problem if you work with pictures.

I've got AMVA screen from 2007 and you simply don't care about it when gaming or watching movies.

No half measures.

120hz at 4k would require 4 way sli titans (pretending 100 percent scaling)
this would introduce 3 extra frames of input lag, which would defeat the purpose of gaming at 120fps.

this seems like the first monitor ever that is a viable compromise for gaming on lcd

tn panels were never an option they are crap, IPS panels and va panels have never been an option they are super blurry
I still don't buy that this panel has 1ms gtg, it's probably like the iiyama 1ms panel that claims 1ms but is actually 4ms and crap.
still, 120 hz and lightboost should help compensate.

I really just want oled with g sync to finally have a worthy replacement for my crt monitor :( not this bundle of compromises

Durante

As someone who doesn't do professional image editing, I'd much rather have gamma shift and great contrast than IPS glow and meh contrast. (I don't think we need to talk about TN)

For a gaming monitor, VA with strobing seems like the best choice (except OLED of course).

I agree, it won't be really noticeable for most people and that's only when you're looking at bold colours.

I'm both surprised and pleased they chose a VA panel rather than an IPS panel since they're the only TFT panel that can get any sort of decent black depth. I hope PRAD does a proper review of it so we can see just how good the electronics are...the review in this thread is a little bare to be honest.

pottuvoi

Banned
Great, now the crappy marketing Hz comes to gaming, just what we need..
Waiting for a monitors with a proper 240hz input. (and G-Sync.)

Durante

Great, now the crappy marketing Hz comes to gaming, just what we need..
Waiting for a monitors with a proper 240hz input. (and G-Sync.)
This isn't really the same as TV Hz marketing though. At least backlight pulsing actually improves gaming performance.

Of course, I'd still prefer if they called ita 120 Hz monitor with strobing.

dosh

As someone who doesn't do professional image editing, I'd much rather have gamma shift and great contrast than IPS glow and meh contrast. (I don't think we need to talk about TN)

For a gaming monitor, VA with strobing seems like the best choice (except OLED of course).

I've had both: an S-PVA Eizo display and an IPS one, side by side for a month before I decided which one I wanted to keep. I expected the former to be better, if only because I had already tried several IPS (Nec, Dell, Eizo, etc.) and knew the glow would be really annoying.

In the end, the black crush on the VA panel was too much for me, whereas the glow on the IPS display was barely noticeable even in a pitch black room and without Eizo's DUE. Granted, the contrast and blacks on the VA panel were better, but not by a huge margin. I was really surprised. But high end IPS are really something else.

G-Sync actually has a use. Its a niche enthusiast product but for people splashing on high end GPUs, eliminating screen tearing is like a must. You're spending so much on a GPU, why accept any less?

At least people are currently spending money on half decent screens these days.

It amazes me how many people think this thing is going to take off. It's as dead as shield.
There is no competition and is beneficial for pretty much anybody if you have/want the right monitor. How much people care I am not sure, but it is in a different position than Shield.

wizzbang

Banned
There is no competition and is beneficial for pretty much anybody if you have/want the right monitor. How much people care I am not sure, but it is in a different position than Shield.

Most people don't care.
Requiring a modification to monitor / new monitor is complete and utter lol.
If it was written as a proposed standard to displayport / HDMI and introduced a cost of LESS THAN 35c per monitor, manufacturers may put it in, as default. Maybe.......

I'm using a 60hz monitor right now at work, there's millions upon millions of business monitors sold for business who couldn't care less.
It's (virtually) as dead in the water as shield. If you own NVDA, I'd seriously consider selling, they've lost their way, seriously.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Most people don't care.
If it was written as a proposed standard to displayport / HDMI and introduced a cost of LESS THAN 35c per monitor, manufacturers may put it in, as default. Maybe.......

I'm using a 60hz monitor right now at work, there's millions upon millions of business monitors sold for business who couldn't care less.
It's (virtually) as dead in the water as shield. If you own NVDA, I'd seriously consider selling, they've lost their way, seriously.

Hahahaha

Every PC gamer is gonna want one of these things. That alone makes it worth it. Also the technology itself is here to stay.
You're probably one of the guys saying the Oculus Rift isn't gonna take off as well. Jeez man.

King_Moc

Banned
Most people don't care.

It's for enthusiasts, not thr general market. If you don't see the point, cool, but so what? It's not for you.

Same with the shield. They aren't looking to sell 100 million of them, just to make a bit of a profit with a product that some enthusiast gamers want.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Most people don't care.

Yet another unbeliever in the holy blessings of G-Sync (praise the N). It's ok. Seeing is believing. You will change your tune soon :)

jet1911

Most people don't care.

Wrong market. G-Sync is for the same people who buy mid/high end GPUs and there's plenty of those.

G-Sync actually has a use. Its a niche enthusiast product but for people splashing on high end GPUs, eliminating screen tearing is like a must. You're spending so much on a GPU, why accept any less?

At least people are currently spending money on half decent screens these days.

It works on $130.00 GPU. "Splashing on high end GPUs" ???

Is this whole thread going to turn into nvidia bashing now?

It works on $130.00 GPU. "Splashing on high end GPUs" ???

Is this whole thread going to turn into nvidia bashing now?

No, but thanks for putting words in my mouth.

If you're getting a high end GPU, you're also the type of person to get a 120hz monitor that this module works with at launch. And you're the exact market that would spend $150 to shove a module that completely eliminates screen tearing.

I don't see how any of this is wrong. The G-Sync module actually has a proper market of people who would actually buy this thing because it completely eliminates the one of the most annoying things that has plagued PC gaming.

No, but thanks for putting words in my mouth.

If you're getting a high end GPU, you're also the type of person to get a 120hz monitor that this module works with. And you're the exact market that would spend $150 to shove a module that completely eliminates screen tearing.

I don't see how any of this is wrong. The G-Sync module actually has a proper market of people who would actually buy this thing because it completely eliminates the one of the most annoying things that has plagued PC gaming.

It's really sad that so many people can't understand that g-sync isn't tied to any type of panel or refresh rate.

It's really sad that so many people can't understand that g-sync isn't tied to any type of panel or refresh rate.

I'm aware that's the case but as far as I know, these things are basically primed to work a specific batch of monitors (well panel) at launch.

If I'm wrong and can actually open up any monitor and get it working, please let me know because I'm excited for it.

Durante

Whether or not G-sync "takes off" in the mainstream is completely immaterial. It's not a platform, and it doesn't require software support. It's like a high-end GPU -- even if few people buy one, it still gives you all the utility you wanted.

Top Bottom