• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Reportedly Added Support For VRR & Up To 240 FPS To Its Internal Game Engine

Woopah

I don’t think that’s true. For example, Gurashi: Sumikko Park e Youkoso is published by Nippon Columbia and does use the engine.
Did some more digging and it looks like you're right.

The engine is used for first party games, but it can also be licensed out to small developers who want to make cheap, quick Switch exclusives.

The Gurashi developers likely chose it because that is the engine they use when supporting Mario Party development.

Xdrive05

Looking forward to enabling that in multiplayer..
K8ETYxa.jpeg
15,270P resolution support confirmed.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
My first love

Greedy fucking corporate pricks

release a console with 4k/60fps and BC.

I'm tired of their shit.

Such a huge shit on the better days. Smh

I really hope this is not true, or we might be seeing low res low detail 720p Nintendo games switch 2 for the next 8 years under the guise that 240hz is worth the resolution hit. Nintendo smoooothflow in action!

Give me 1080p 8" oled at 60hz every day over that crap. (And 1440p-4k upscaling docked)
No this is great 240hz built into a console is fantastic for the eventual emulator.

All these switch 2 rumors 240hz - 4tb gpu / 4k dock etc seem to be way to over the top. Nintendo has never gone power hungry and I don’t expect them to this gen. Hopefully I’m wrong but I can’t seeing all these rumors being true!!
Is 4 Teraflops supposed to be good in 2024? The 4060 is 15TF and that's a tiny GPU and it's about to be a generation old as next gen GPUs are being announced this year. Now I'm not saying I expect 4TF it's just it's not a big deal in 2024.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
All these switch 2 rumors 240hz - 4tb gpu / 4k dock etc seem to be way to over the top. Nintendo has never gone power hungry and I don’t expect them to this gen. Hopefully I’m wrong but I can’t seeing all these rumors being true!!

Nitnendo never chases graphical trends, but what they do chase is quality games. Their artstyles lend themselves to having higher framerates while not aging nearly as much. With DLSS, I can easily see them running 4K with minimal effort and not much longer in terms of dev time than what they already do.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Is 4 Teraflops supposed to be good in 2024? The 4060 is 15TF and that's a tiny GPU and it's about to be a generation old as next gen GPUs are being announced this year. Now I'm not saying I expect 4TF it's just it's not a big deal in 2024.

I think if they actually deliver that plus dlss upscaling in a portable form factor, it will still be significant. Agreed it's not mind blowing over all, but better than some crappy 2 tf with no dlss.

It does leave the door wide open for ms or Sony to release a portable that perhaps is expandable gpu wise via dock. (Assuming the switch won't do this too)

Gambit2483

*sigh*

I really wish Nintendo would put these rumors and their spreaders out of their misery.
The Stellar Blade controversy kept everyone busy elsewhere for a while, but now the game’s out we’re gonna have 2-3 weekly Switch 2 rumor threads again, aren’t we?

I still can't believe it's nearly mid 2024 and they still have everyone completely in the dark. This has to be the most stretched out generation ever. 🙄

thatJohann

Could Nintendo theoretically add VRR support in a firmware update the current Switch or is it not possible in the current hardware?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Could Nintendo theoretically add VRR support in a firmware update the current Switch or is it not possible in the current hardware?

Not sure if current switch can, but future hardware should be able to run BC content with VRR's benefits. However, they'd need to uncap the games 30 FPS to benefit.

Last edited:
I think if they actually deliver that plus dlss upscaling in a portable form factor, it will still be significant. Agreed it's not mind blowing over all, but better than some crappy 2 tf with no dlss.

It does leave the door wide open for ms or Sony to release a portable that perhaps is expandable gpu wise via dock. (Assuming the switch won't do this too)
Agreed I'll say the T239 in the Switch is nice but I guarantee you people will be crying underpowered in 2-3 years like they did the first Switch for the same reason as the first Switch. Devs will try to cram PS5 games into it and many concessions will have to be made.

Last edited:

LordCBH

The switch 2 being able to take advantage of my VRR display will be sick. But hopefully the next Pokémon game can run higher than the cinematic 24fps Scarlet and Violet felt like.

bender

What time is it?
Agreed I'll say the T239 in the Switch is nice but I guarantee you people will be crying underpowered in 2-3 years like they did the first Switch for the same reason as the first Switch. Devs will try to cram PS5 games into it and many concessions will have to be made.

2-3 years? People are already crying.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Probably true, but we are proffesional complainers, the general public will be ok.
I'd love to see more in these new portables, but admittedly Nintendo is by far the least likely to spend money on expensive hardware.
Unless nvidia gives them some sort of deal in exchange for a cut of software sales......

2-3 years? People are already crying.
For the first Switch it was 2018 when people first started crying, the 3rd party games is what prompted it. Keep in mind the Switch 1 is a massive leap in power from the 3ds like it's HUGE. Way better than GBA to DS or DS to 3ds. Both Switch and 3ds are handheld ARM devices.

bender

What time is it?
For the first Switch it was 2018 when people first started crying, the 3rd party games is what prompted it. Keep in mind the Switch 1 is a massive leap in power from the 3ds like it's HUGE. Way better than GBA to DS or DS to 3ds. Both Switch and 3ds are handheld ARM devices.

People are already bitching about the Switch 2 being underpowered is what I meant.

Top Bottom