• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring has sold 16.6 million copies

Shifty

Excited Hell Yeah GIF by Lil Jon

Portugeezer

It deserves all of its success. Great game which launched at a good price (PS5 version was under £45 at launch and came with art book and stuff).

Now use some of that money to invest in better technology for their next game. Don't Gamefreak us.

Just a pinch of BoTW is all it takes to print money.
Can't glide, can't climb, high difficulty.

BOTW did invent open world, though.

Last edited:
Good game but overrated. I found it boring at times and I mean the open world. The combat is fantastic but the game is far too easy. I am happy with my 140 hour playthrough but I cant see myself ever going back to replay it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Deserves 30 million easy!

Should get there in a few years.

Got the plat and waiting for DLC!

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Kind of mixed feel. On one hand I love their game, on the other hand Fromsoftware really needs to improve their technology, but when the game selling this well, unlikely they will ever improve.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Glad to see From doing so well!
Can't wait for the dlc and to start it all over again from scratch.
In the meantime i'm very much enjoying Thymesia, or "Bloodborne lite" as it could be called. Great little game that scratches my never-ending itch for this stuff.

geary

Kind of mixed feel. On one hand I love their game, on the other hand Fromsoftware really needs to improve their technology, but when the game selling this well, unlikely they will ever improve.
Thats the proof a game can be exceptional with only great design and without cut edging graphics or super optimisation.

Last edited:

MrA

Amazing how in 2009, Sony didn't think this concept wasn't worth taking out of Japan to the game that might finally dethrone call of duty as the years biggest seller in the west

Also tha so many ideas first explored by this game

Would eventually grow into such a huge thing today. I wonder if the people at from ever thought the ideas planted here would grow so large

SeraphJan

Thats the proof a game can be exceptional with only design and without cut edging graphics or super optimisation.
The artist, programmer, musician, everyone in the credit list that puts their soul and hard work into their project are equally important. One game is the exception not the rule, remember even Fromsoftware takes 20 years to build such a large fanbase, their early game even with good design but still didn't sell well, (one of my favorite Fromsoftware title is a very niche game called Yoshitsune Eiyuuden from PS2).

There are many game with good design but failed because the fanbase are too small, or failed in marketing, there are also many games praised solely for their technical aspect. Many critically acclaimed game with amazing design actually was inspired from less known game. Remember, gameplay is a very subjective thing, but however technology is not, there are people love this game to death, but there are also people absolutely hated this game, but literally no one would hate a game with good technology.

I love Elden Ring, don't get me wrong, I just hope they don't grow arrogant over their success

Last edited:

Thief1987

I enjoyed Elden Ring a lot, but it did suffer from the Dark Souls II problem of having so many bosses that they all just sort of start to blend together.
There are very few real bosses though. There are many regular enemies posing as a bosses, and most of the time you will met these enemies as a regular mob earlier than their "boss" versions, which make this situation even more stupid.

Top Bottom