• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring has sold 16.6 million copies

i love this damn game. what an adventure. the game play and environments are beautiful, challenging and unforgettable. if you dive into the lore and the story, it's equally as good as the gameplay imo. my favorite characters are milena, renalla, ranni and malenia. blaidd is a great character too.

game of the year without question. one of my favorite games of all time. i played as a female confessor. level 190 ish at 250 hours.

Last edited:
Sure, no doubt, but Dark Souls has a linage to Zelda. And Elden Ring's open-world level design has taken several hints from BOTW. Miyazaki was a fan of BOTW.

There are a lot of shared inspirations between Elden Ring, BOTW, Shadow of the Colossus, and other games too. But I don't think it matters much who inspired what though, every game follows others in some respect and they all borrow from one another. It doesn't mean much as long as there are novel ideas and fresh designs in the new stuff.

Yeah man, games give and take from each other im not denying that, I just saying the fact that a modern Zelda was influenced in any way by dark souls is a badge of honour for From.

Valedix

Just a pinch of BoTW is all it takes to print money.
Hogwarts Legacy be like:

Make It Rain Money GIF by Tim and Eric

You mean Dark Souls' 5th expansion sold for 16.6 million copies? Ooooffff!!

Just kidding fanboys, I like me some Dark Souls, and only Dark Souls.

brian0057

Banned
The biggest one being the way they told the story, having been hundreds of years after the fact and piecing things together yourself. Thats a very dark souls vibe to me.
That's tenuous at best.
And those things are not even original to Dark Souls in the first place.
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, the early Elder Scrolls titles, and even the Thief series were doing that years before Dark Souls was even a thought.

Stories about kingdoms long dead and storytelling through player discovery aren't new to the industry, not even to Nintendo themselves.
Games like The Wind Waker and the Metroid Prime series are basically just that.

Did Nintendo take inspiration from Dark Souls? I don't know. Maybe they did. But nothing in Breath of the Wild looks like it took particular inspiration from Dark Souls, even implicitly.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Bloodborne PC port Sony... it's a no brainer

Either they do have this on the go and just haven't announced it yet, or there must be some legal issues with From Software preventing its production.

Because otherwise, not making a BB remaster for PC and Ps5 would easily be the stupidest decision in video games history. It's a licence to print money. Five million sales plus, easily.

Either they do have this on the go and just haven't announced it yet, or there must be some legal issues with From Software preventing its production.

Because otherwise, not making a BB remaster for PC and Ps5 would easily be the stupidest decision in video games history. It's a licence to print money. Five million sales plus, easily.
The leading theory is that Bloodborne is spaghetti code and nobody wants to deal with that. I guess all we can hope for is a remake.

That's tenuous at best, and those things are not even original to Dark Souls in the first place.
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, the early Elder Scrolls titles, and even the Thief series were doing that years before Dark Souls was even a thought.

Stories about kingdoms long dead and storytelling through player discovery aren't new to the industry, not even to Nintendo themselves.
Games like The Wind Waker and the Metroid Prime series are basically just that.

Did Nintendo took inspiration from Dark Souls? I don't know. Maybe they did. But nothing in Breath of the Wild looks like it took particular inspiration from Dark Souls, even implicitly.

Thats one opinion. It felt pretty blatant to me when I played it but eh.

Lethal01

It deserves all of its success. Great game which launched at a good price (PS5 version was under £45 at launch and came with art book and stuff).

Now use some of that money to invest in better technology for their next game. Don't Gamefreak us.

Can't glide, can't climb, high difficulty.

BOTW did invent open world, though.

The creator did literally list BoTW as his favorite open world game and say he played it for reference on making Elden Ring though.

Meh. I would not want to play an Elden Ring 2 given this game's mechanics and general structure. Once the novelty wears off, it becomes too dificult to find motivation to get through all that filler to reexperience the more interesting segments of the game, which are far and few inbetween.

The leading theory is that Bloodborne is spaghetti code and nobody wants to deal with that. I guess all we can hope for is a remake.
It's a massive cash cow which Sony is sitting on, especially for PC gamers and Sony knows this.

The success of Elden Ring combined with Sony starting to embrace PC releases for their first party exclusives will be massive contributors to this.

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

Meh. I would not want to play an Elden Ring 2 given this game's mechanics and general structure. Once the novelty wears off, it becomes too dificult to find motivation to get through all that filler to reexperience the more interesting segments of the game, which are far and few inbetween.
Somehow I put 300h into it and it didn't wore off. Looks like many others also put a lot of hours.
So yeah, empty talk.

Amiga

about a billion $$$ in sales. A hardcore game pulling in more cash than most big budget movies is something nobody expected 10 years ago.

We are the mainstream now.

There goes any hope of From Software making a masterpiece like Dark Souls 1 or 3 any time soon, now every Soulsborne game will have a bloated bland open world with dozens of copy-pasted "bosses". The core gameplay is excellent but there is no reward or incentive for exploring, very few high quality bosses, and dungeon design was incredibly lacking relative to other Soulsborne games. Happy for everybody who loved the game but the direction they went was a clear step backward imo

tibia

Neo Member
There goes any hope of From Software making a masterpiece like Dark Souls 1 or 3 any time soon, now every Soulsborne game will have a bloated bland open world with dozens of copy-pasted "bosses". The core gameplay is excellent but there is no reward or incentive for exploring, very few high quality bosses, and dungeon design was incredibly lacking relative to other Soulsborne games. Happy for everybody who loved the game but the direction they went was a clear step backward imo

Truth. I platinumed the game but wont be going back. Too many hours on horseback that i cant justify as an adult gamer. Would prefer the narrow / focused areas of Demons Souls and Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne. This game is exhausting to think about replaying.

It's a high quality game. Good for those who enjoy wandering around maps. Happy for FROM for being rewarded. Not so great for fans of the old style.

+1…I have never had problems getting through areas in Soulslikes. For me, idk, it’s like, getting whatever outrageous hot sauce there is on my wings at Buffalo Wild Wings. The chicken is fucking great, but the difficulty (of eating the wings), is just not enjoyable to me.

There goes any hope of From Software making a masterpiece like Dark Souls 1 or 3 any time soon, now every Soulsborne game will have a bloated bland open world with dozens of copy-pasted "bosses".
Dark Souls 3 is such a mess mechanically I would rather have Elden Ring VII: Been There Done That Edition.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
about a billion $$$ in sales. A hardcore game pulling in more cash than most big budget movies is something nobody expected 10 years ago.

We are the mainstream now.
Hardcore lol they made it regular gamer friendly with lots check points and summons. Only from game to be non hard core and its actually selling shocker. Maybe choice in difficulty was not such a bad thing after all. That is what summons are choice in difficulty. Same with levels you can power past hard spots with grinding.

This is dangerous and we need to do something about it.

Lol, but I actually have no idea why people are buying this game, I guess it's like the game pikmin, everyone else jumped off the cliff so you do to. It's not a bad game but it's not a game that would appeal to the mainstream any other time period, so it has to be that people are just lining up to by the latest trend.

Last edited:
Top Bottom