• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring has sold 16.6 million copies

Mister Wolf

From Software is the "little engine that could". Been making games forever with middling success throughout the years, persevered until they discovered a formula that appealed to the masses, and are now an industry leader imitated by their peers. Which is the highest form of flattery. I hope they can revolutionize Armored Core. We don't get enough top tier mobile suit games.

Last edited:
There are very few real bosses though. There are many regular enemies posing as a bosses, and most of the time you will met these enemies as a regular mob earlier than their "boss" versions, which make this situation even more stupid.

When I say boss I'm just talking about any enemy with a unique name and a big health bar, pretty much. They repeated bosses a lot and sometimes literally just say "fuck it, heres that boss again but there's two of them now."

From Software is the "little engine that could". Been making games forever with middling success throughout the years, persevered until they discovered a formula that appealed to the masses, and are now an industry leader imitated by their peers. Which is the highest form of flattery. I hope they can revolutionize Armored Core. We don't get enough top tier mobile suit games.

You know you've made it when The Legend Of Zelda starts taking cues.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'd consider adding to the tally but:
p0GHyQW.jpg

Deep discount when?
I subscribe to this mentality, but I paid full price for ER and never regretted it.

Thief1987

When I say boss I'm just talking about any enemy with a unique name and a big health bar, pretty much. They repeated bosses a lot and sometimes literally just say "fuck it, heres that boss again but there's two of them now."
And even three at one point) Soooo exciting
Can't wait for quadruple, quintuple etc. boss fights in a future games. Does Miyazaki's genius have any limits?

zombrex

It's phenomenal that From Software could release so many new IP's and achieve multimillion sales for all of them.
Demon Souls
Dark Souls
Bloodborne
Sekiro
Elden Ring
Sure you could argue they are all derivative but no other developer has managed this feat in such a short amount of time if at all.

Last edited:

Metnut

Impossible. I was told that both (i) single player games are dead and (ii) anything anyone wants to play is available for $15 a month on Gamepass.

Maybe there’s still a market where people will pay $60 for high-end single player experience?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Nintendo has been proving this for decades. Graphics really aren't that important.
Except, make the same thread for, say, Mario Kart 8, and enjoy the endless parade of people shitting on Nintendo for being lazy, greedy bastards that sell millions of games and consoles to brainless idiots and will never have a reason to step up their game!

I hate Elden Ring for as many reasons I love it, but I gotta respect its great success. It just pains me that we’ll basically never see From’s best try their hand at something a little different as long as their “git gud” games keep doing so well.

Woggleman

Much deserved. One of the best games I have played in a while and it makes me want to check out all the other From games.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This is generally what happens when you make excellently crafted, self contained, single player experiences, that don't feature any microtransactions or any other greed-fuelled bullshit.

EA, Ubisoft, Take Two, Activision: try paying some fucking attention, you rapacious cunts.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I just passed 360 hours…2 trophies left to get.

One left. Become Elden Lord ending. But I'm holding on to it for a bit, I don't really want it to end. Plus it gives me a little break to finish off some other games I've been wanting to play.

Very well deserved. At almost 90 hours I’m still having an absolute blast.

I just hope Fromsoftware does something different with their next game. Hopefully allowing the player to visit a city with an actual population.

Alebrije

Deserved is a good game but now expect From does something new. Keep doing souls games but also something new....

R6Rider

Gold Member
One left. Become Elden Lord ending. But I'm holding on to it for a bit, I don't really want it to end. Plus it gives me a little break to finish off some other games I've been wanting to play.
Then keep playing the game even after you get all the the trophies?

Fbh

Absolutely deserved, just finished it a few weeks ago and it was an incredible experience. I hope it's as influential for open world design as Dark Souls has been for action RPG's.

This is extra impressive because these sales come before any sort of major sale or discount. The vast majority of these 16 mill units probably sold at full price. It's different selling 16 million units in a few months at full price than 16 million after a couple of years in the bargain bin.

In what way?
If anything, Skyrim and The Witcher 3 have been cited as case studies Nintendo used for open world design.
Is it because it's hard? Because "Nintendo Hard" predates Dark Souls by over a decade.

Nah, its a combination of things really. The biggest one being the way they told the story, having been hundreds of years after the fact and piecing things together yourself. Thats a very dark souls vibe to me. Obviously dark souls drew from zelda, lots of adventure games have, but BOTW definitely has some dark souls vibes to it too.

Curiously enough BOTW doesn't really resemble either of those games.

Last edited:

AllBizness

Banned
Sony you need to start making WRPG games wtf, Horizon Zero Dawn is hardly and RPG infect most would probably say it's not

Bragr

Banned
You cannot serious deny that Breath Of The Wild took some inspiration from Dark Souls.
Sure, no doubt, but Dark Souls has a linage to Zelda. And Elden Ring's open-world level design has taken several hints from BOTW. Miyazaki was a fan of BOTW.

There are a lot of shared inspirations between Elden Ring, BOTW, Shadow of the Colossus, and other games too. But I don't think it matters much who inspired what though, every game follows others in some respect and they all borrow from one another. It doesn't mean much as long as there are novel ideas and fresh designs in the new stuff.

Moonjt9

It's phenomenal that From Software could release so many new IP's and achieve multimillion sales for all of them.
Demon Souls
Dark Souls
Bloodborne
Sekiro
Elden Ring
Sure you could argue they are all derivative but no other developer has managed this feat in such a short amount of time if at all.
It’s only derivative because they literally invented a genre. It’s like saying id software is derivative. Of course they are, but it’s not a bad thing because they are iterating on a genre they invented. Same with From.

Tg89

It’s only derivative because they literally invented a genre. It’s like saying id software is derivative. Of course they are, but it’s not a bad thing because they are iterating on a genre they invented. Same with From.

Yep, and it's not like it's some oversaturated genre. It's basically only FROM doing it (doing it right, at least).

Top Bottom