• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring has sold 16.6 million copies

Vaelka

its a good game, but its a bit overrated imo.

Tbh I agree when it comes to certain aspects at least..
The '' Fashion Souls '' is extremely underwhelming imo compared to previous games, the character customization still feels old ( especially lack of body customization ), the bosses feel like they're designed to be cheesed rather than beaten '' honestly ''.
And the story beats do feel like they were rushed, especially after you reach Farum Azula things kinda feel like they get off the rails a bit.
The reuse of bosses and models is bad too, Morgoth and Margit in particular just felt like they were a poor excuse for reusing the same model.
I kinda just stopped caring when I found out that they were the same person and then people said they weren't and then that they were... I just stopped giving a shit because it felt so stupid.

Edit: Also just being teleported to Farum Azula like that felt really stupid, it felt like a lot of stuff was missing between there.
I actually liked the area itself a lot, especially since it was more like the old Souls formula.
But it felt so out of place and random.

Last edited:

Gandih42

Tbh I agree when it comes to certain aspects at least..
The '' Fashion Souls '' is extremely underwhelming imo compared to previous games, the character customization still feels old ( especially lack of body customization ), the bosses feel like they're designed to be cheesed rather than beaten '' honestly ''.
And the story beats do feel like they were rushed, especially after you reach Farum Azula things kinda feel like they get off the rails a bit.
The reuse of bosses and models is bad too, Morgoth and Margit in particular just felt like they were a poor excuse for reusing the same model.
I kinda just stopped caring when I found out that they were the same person and then people said they weren't and then that they were... I just stopped giving a shit because it felt so stupid.

Edit: Also just being teleported to Farum Azula like that felt really stupid, it felt like a lot of stuff was missing between there.
I actually liked the area itself a lot, especially since it was more like the old Souls formula.
But it felt so out of place and random.

While I do agree the boss re-use is a bit on the excessive side, I think they did in a smart way, for the most part. Most repeated major bosses get additional moves or phases upon their repeat fights, upping the difficulty and letting you learn them gradually as you get better at the game. This even applies to some of the minor optional bosses. For a game of this size and length, with such an absurd amount of enemy types, I didn't mind at all though. Would be keen to see a count of unique enemy types + variations. To me, the most grating part of the repeat bosses was the unclear/inconsistent implications on the story and lore. Maybe that'll clear up in time.

As for the actual boss designs, I can see why it's tempting to cheese them, given some of the more ridiculous movesets. And to be honest, the Souls formula has always been incredibly susceptible to cheesing, Elden Ring probably more than any of them with all the tools and summons you got available. Sekiro stands out as the one that says "fuck you, learn the fight". I'm almost done with my first playthrough (only got the final boss left), and it's been such a blast fighting all the bosses solo. I'd like FromSoftware to go back to a slower paced Demon's Souls style of combat, but I still found Elden Ring to have some of the most fun and satisfying boss fights in all of Souls. Spending 4 hours getting gud trying to beat the very difficult sword lady with my heavy faith/melee build was hella fun.

Teleporting to Farum Azula could definitely have had a better build-up/transition, and the final section of the mountain was also kind of barebones. Typical FromSoftware to have "rushed" sections like that by the end (even though the area itself is great, like you say). I think it's kind of a shame they let you spoil that location with the Bellfries early on, because it looks so god damn incredible and would be really unexpected otherwise.

cortadew

Anything open world these days is compared to botw now in the same way open world games were compared to skyrim before that.
Miyazaki said he took botw as a main inspiration but after completing the game I feel his main influence was himself lol, Elden Ring uses the souls formula in an open world and I think there are a few things it needs when you get that big like a proper queslog and more robust gameplay variety that doesn't just rely on combat.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
It is a very good game. Took me two playthroughs to really connect with it, but it really is quite an achievement. I'd say it would be a hard act to follow, but honestly, there's a lot of room for improvement, even with the high bar they set. Elden Ring II: Erdtree's Woe and the Blighttown Below could easily top it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Idk who started the rumor. As a counterpoint, the dude who made the 60 fps mod for Bloodborne said that the code is like "all their other games" so it should be able to run on PC without a problem.
Meaning, the “rumor” is BS. Gonna go with the patch guy, personally.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Same, same. But then the question remains, wtf is Sony doing with Bloodborne? Why no port? Why not at the very least a PS5 patch?
Gotta port Demon’s Souls to the PC first, space them out ;)

Then probably a remaster/remake effect for Bloodborne to get rid of that chromatic filter always on, and frame pacing. If there is even plans for Bloodborne. But more than likely there is, since all the cult following rumors of DeS came to fruition.

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
Fantastic! So happy for them, and great to see them rewarded for sticking to their design philosophy and not giving in to the predatory practices that have taken over the scene.
Miyazaki has given us the sun, the moon and the stars.

Woggleman

I should have known better than to let some of the fanbase of Fromsoft games put me off because I missed out on some truly great stuff.

Gotta port Demon’s Souls to the PC first, space them out ;)

Then probably a remaster/remake effect for Bloodborne to get rid of that chromatic filter always on, and frame pacing. If there is even plans for Bloodborne. But more than likely there is, since all the cult following rumors of DeS came to fruition.
I think interest in Demon Souls remake is greatly overstated. If they decide to just throw it out there it would sell well below expectations relative to other FromSoftware and Sony releases. After Elden Ring reveal the interest just evaporated for most of the vocal audience as they mostly wanted a high fidelity "next gen" Souls experience.

In contrast, the interest in a smooth 60fps Bloodborne without chromatic aberration is overflowing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom