• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring has sold 20 million copies

40699D4A2B0F2CD884CA25B07D2D3B0488BD9C97

Pejo

Gold Member
so Elden Ring sold like 8-10 million on PlayStation 4 & 5 in 12 months
while God of War Ragnarok sold 11 million on PlayStation 4 & 5 in 10 weeks
Toyota sold 87,591 Prius cars in 2018. Since we're just posting random numbers.

I hope this teaches the industry some good lessons about what makes an open world game compelling. Good natural exploration, (mostly) good or at least unique rewards for your efforts, freedom of choice, and less handholding. Can't wait for the DLC.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Cool, my copy isn't still accounting, haven't found a hole in my backlog to play it but will eventually, probably this year.

so Elden Ring sold like 8-10 million on PlayStation 4 & 5 in 12 months
while God of War Ragnarok sold 11 million on PlayStation 4 & 5 in 10 weeks
Casual games tend to sell more unless the brand has deep cultural recognition.

Ar¢tos

Animal Crossing NH sold 22.4 million on Switch in 3.5 months

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet sold 20.6 million on Switch in 6 weeks
You can't compare switch games sales with other consoles games sales.
Poor switch users are so starved for games that they buy anything at any price. Even if the games look like straight up ps2 ports like Pokemon, or are the 24th re-release of the same game they played 56 times like Mario.

mxbison

I hope this teaches the industry some good lessons about what makes an open world game compelling. Good natural exploration, (mostly) good or at least unique rewards for your efforts, freedom of choice, and less handholding. Can't wait for the DLC.

Not sure about that. Hogwarts Legacy is the same old map markers, check lists, and hand holding. It's selling insane and has plenty of people here already calling for GOTY.

Pejo

Gold Member
Not sure about that. Hogwarts Legacy is the same old map markers, check lists, and hand holding. It's selling insane and has plenty of people here already calling for GOTY.
Well the lesson learned from that is "make a high quality game with an IP that already has a huge following", but I do see what you mean.

Lethal01

It really shows how easy it easy to make a good open world when you follow Breath of the Wild's lead.:lollipop_grinning:

Kusarigama

Also no tacked on microtransaction dlcs and always online drm nonsense

Zones

Pretty cool. Very well deserve. Hopefully next year Hogwarts joins the 20 million club.
Did you perhaps mean next month? Hogwarts may possibly reach that amount by the end of next month (on next-gen / PC only), and once it releases on all platforms, it will eventually end up way higher than ER.

A colleague of mine is adamant that world of Warcraft is much better than elden ring because it’s bigger and has more spells
Use his own logic against him and tell him Candy Crush is much better than World of Warcraft.

Animal Crossing NH sold 22.4 million on Switch in 3.5 months

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet sold 20.6 million on Switch in 6 weeks
Candy Crush has many times more players than either of those, and it generates about as much money as those games each year.

So…

13Mf.gif

Famipan

Actually I haven’t bought it yet. The Network Test got me interested but gave me strong feelings of been-there-done-that. I’m not much into open world games and it stresses me how many unplayed OWG I have.
I have been a big soulsborne fan but I need to play other things, and I will probably need to dive into RDR2 and GTAV before ER.

Will buy 2 copies later when it hits 30 EUR on PSN and Steam.

Last edited:

digdug2

A colleague of mine is adamant that world of Warcraft is much better than elden ring because it’s bigger and has more spells
Can you ride a flying mount in Elden Ring? I didn't think so. /s

Your friend is comparing apples to oranges though. Sure, they're both types of fruit, but their chemical makeup is completely different. One is a subscription-based GaaS with a monthly subscription fee and paid expansions. If I stuck with WoW since 2004, I would have paid damn near $3,000 in subscription fees alone. In addition, the game has had NINE paid expansions. Meanwhile, Elden Ring hasn't had any DLC :messenger_loudly_crying:

MagnesD3

Now give me that sweet addictive DLC God dammit, I need an excuse to push me into a 4th playthrough too, it better be this year Miyazaki don't make me get out my Tarnished Tackle 👇 the Jar needs Refilling.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

hogwarts legacy is far from game of the year , like you said it has the same flaws that every modern AAA game has , the only reason its successful was because of the trans scandal and the fact that they nailed the harry potter atmosphere , but in terms of gameplay , world interactivity , AI , depth , story , everything is mediocre

the majority calling it GOTY it proves again that gamers are the reason the quality of the games is declining , gamers are so easy to fool , everyones jumps the hype train without thinking for themselves

Top Bottom