• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring has sold 20 million copies

amigastar

i-never-played-it-havent-tried-it-yet.gif

Maybe i should, though.

Fredrik

Greatest game ever made. It's the only thing I play right now, I just can't get enough of it. Hoping for a meaty new expansion and then a sequel.
I play Hogwarts Legacy and Hi-Fi Rush too right now and I used to play Ragnarök and Scorn and Returnal and HFW and GT7 and a couple more games.

But I’ve never stopped playing Elden Ring. average 1-2 hours per day for a whole year. It has never happened before. Literally everything else has been side dishes, one and done type of games.

ACESHIGH

Banned
And now they are going for fucking armored core because they listened to a few fanboys in forums. Iant believe how they dropped the ball there.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
But I’ve never stopped playing Elden Ring. average 1-2 hours per day for a whole year. It has never happened before. Literally everything else has been side dishes, one and done type of games.

The replayability of this game is nuts. I thought Dark Souls and Bloodborne had good replayability but ER just takes it to another level. Never seen a game with this much content, and at the same time being consistently good. Every area in the game is fun and exciting to explore. Can't wait for the DLC.

Thief1987

RIP well crafted level design and fantastic bosses, say hello to bloated open world with tons of repetition and bland environments. The Soulsborne games had a good run, I guess I'll always have Dark Souls 1 and 3 to look back on
Yep, from the genius design of the DS1 map, to this abomination... Catastrophic degradation.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Well deserved. Haters get over it, the game is fun.

Come play coop with ya boy and experience the goofy arcade madness that the game truly is.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yep, cant agree more. You going back to play old souls games is a wise choice which is good for you and everyone, and i hope everyone who thinks the same as you should do the same as you did.

Let Elden Ring enjoyers have fun playing new fromsoft games without being bothered by those whinning, obnoxious, annoying, gatekeeping, salty, cynical, no life old souls veterans/purists.

Thank you for your brilliant idea, man!
Excited Loop GIF

ruthless dude, lmao.

Spaceman292

Banned
Thats true and we will see how it turns out. I hope the rumors of it being Souls-like are bunk.

Ive got an overly negative take I guess but Im just tired of the whole 'rest at fireplace - enemies respawn - messages on the ground - enter the myst door to fight boss - summon people - lock on, circle, hit guy in the back' gameplay.
10 years solid of the exact same old shit. Elden Ring's success guarantees many many sequels and years of the same shit.

From Software used to be more varied - dont like to see them bottlenecked.
On the flipside I suppose the success could allow for more chances like Armored Core - or perhaps a new Kings Field?
Yeah they also used to suck. No one really ever liked Kings field.

Yep, cant agree more. You going back to play old souls games is a wise choice which is good for you and everyone, and i hope everyone who thinks the same as you should do the same as you did.

Let Elden Ring enjoyers have fun playing new fromsoft games without being bothered by those whinning, obnoxious, annoying, gatekeeping, salty, cynical, no life old souls veterans/purists.

Did I ever say they shouldn't have fun? Not liking the direction of a dev or franchise does not mean I'm somehow mad that other people are enjoying it or something. My personal motto is "like what you like", this idea of shaming people for having differing opinions is archaic, if somebody thinks Gears of War: Judgment, Dead Space 3, Dark Souls 2, are the best games in their respective series then more power to them, if somebody's favorite game of all time is some mobile gacha game then so be it. Unless it's like something super illegal or atrociously amoral you should never shame people for their interests. It's called an opinion, people need to learn what that means in artistic mediums such as gaming. Also it seems like a rather odd choice to be so terribly against anybody having a different opinion than you but also being on a forum for discussion. Are you expecting this to just be a hivemind about how Elden Ring is the greatest thing ever and anybody who disagrees should be banished? The reason I expressed my annoyance was not because those 20 million people played and enjoyed the game, but rather the success of this game means they will continue in the direction I don't want them to. It's annoying that I will have one less dev making games I personally enjoy. If you, ironically, want to gatekeep people who didn't like Elden Ring you're free to do what you want, so have fun I guess

OMG the hyperbole. Like, I've been playing games for over 30 years, and Elden Ring is one of the finest I have ever played.
That's as much a hyperbole as what I said, it's an opinion, your personal anecdote doesn't change my opinion same as mine doesn't change yours

This is how I expected to feel when I saw they were going open-world.

I was wrong and you are too. Elden Ring is the best From game yet and quite possibly my favorite game of all-time depending on the mood I'm in the day you ask.

An opinion can't be "wrong", there is no objective measure of quality that could determine whether it's the "best" or not, if it's your favorite game that's awesome, I'm glad you enjoyed it, doesn't make my opinion invalid just because you like a game

ByWatterson

In about 15 hours away from declaring it the greatest game of all time.

Last of Us still on that pedestal but GODDAMN Elden Ring is special.

Madflavor

Fucking well deserved and LOL to those that beg for difficulty options (it already has them built in.)

Exactly this. Spirit Ashes make bosses tremendously easier, especially when you acquire the Mimic Tear. Even if you don't want to use Spirit Ashes, you have multiple avenues to take to increase your power and skill level. Go explore more, level up, and acquire better gear. Perhaps find a better build that's more efficient and one that you also enjoy. There's so many things you can do.

Rockondevil

Not a fan of the standard souls formula but Elden Ring was absolutely amazing and could cater to really anyone depending on if you wanted to grind to make it easier.

Everything it gets is well deserved.

MagnesD3

Exactly this. Spirit Ashes make bosses tremendously easier, especially when you acquire the Mimic Tear. Even if you don't want to use Spirit Ashes, you have multiple avenues to take to increase your power and skill level. Go explore more, level up, and acquire better gear. Perhaps find a better build that's more efficient and one that you also enjoy. There's so many things you can do.
Speaking of Spirit Ashes I really like them but I'd like them to be related to your build more if they ever make a sequel. You still use them but they would be significantly worse missing out on cool properties or moves if your build wasn't tailored towards thier requirements.

Last edited:
RIP well crafted level design and fantastic bosses, say hello to bloated open world with tons of repetition and bland environments. The Soulsborne games had a good run, I guess I'll always have Dark Souls 1 and 3 to look back on
Seems like a pretty pessimistic attitude. The game is far from perfect, but it was also FromSoftware's first take on an open world. It dropped the ball on the some things, but the overall package was incredibly compelling and sure to get better with each iteration. Just like how the the Souls series got better with each release.

geary

You guys should try Reforge & Randomize mod. Basically shuffles all mobs and weapon locations in the game.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The day that they release the information about the eventual DLC for it is going to be such a megaton day for news. Everybody is waiting for it and if that number is accurate and they release it for even just 20 bucks FromSoft is going to have infinite money just fall from the sky onto the roof of their offices.

Miyazaki be praised.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Did you perhaps mean next month? Hogwarts may possibly reach that amount by the end of next month (on next-gen / PC only), and once it releases on all platforms, it will eventually end up way higher than ER.

Use his own logic against him and tell him Candy Crush is much better than World of Warcraft.

Candy Crush has many times more players than either of those, and it generates about as much money as those games each year.

So…

13Mf.gif
Candy Crush isn't selling for 60 USD on a single platform

kikkis

The day that they release the information about the eventual DLC for it is going to be such a megaton day for news. Everybody is waiting for it and if that number is accurate and they release it for even just 20 bucks FromSoft is going to have infinite money just fall from the sky onto the roof of their offices.

Miyazaki be praised.
I am sceptical about dlc announcement. Given that dlc needs to be quite big, for fans not to be disappointed, then it might be better to just do elden ring 2 and go for 20 million+. Dlc generally doesn't make nearly as much as it costs to make.

Cyberpunkd

A great game, but it has that Souls fatigue I feel with so many of their games. You are slowly grinding through and after 15-20 hours it just becomes much less enjoyable. I think I put 40-45hrs, made it to Mountains of Giants and just dropped it.

I am sceptical about dlc announcement. Given that dlc needs to be quite big, for fans not to be disappointed, then it might be better to just do elden ring 2 and go for 20 million+. Dlc generally doesn't make nearly as much as it costs to make.
Idk, From has never really disappointed on (paid) DLC before, so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

The DLC for Dark Souls 1-3+BB is honestly some of the best I've ever played.

What studio does it better?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Not sure about that. Hogwarts Legacy is the same old map markers, check lists, and hand holding. It's selling insane and has plenty of people here already calling for GOTY.
People are delusional when they think that elden ring is gonna change how open worlds are made, they said the same things after botw and we only had 2 games that tried to copy that one in the past 6 years.

Ac valhalla was the most sold ac game ever and hogwarts sold gang buster, the old formula is not fucking going anywhere anytime soon.

And thank god for that, variety is the juice of life.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Holy fucking shit! Brutal...but completely on point.

People are delusional when they think that elden ring is gonna change how open worlds are made, they said the same things after botw and we only had 2 games that try to copy that in the past 6 years.

Ac valhalla was the most sold ac game ever and hogwarts sold gang buster, the old formula is not fucking going anywhere anytime soon.

Is that true? Shit. The Ac2 trilogy runs circles around it narratively and Odyssey is a better open world game. I still think Black Flag is the sweet spot.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Wow. I'm honestly surprised. I feel like I haven't heard anything about it outside of the launch window.

Odyssey and even Origins seem to get brought up more in discussion of modern AC games.
What can i say, people love tamed, out of character, milquetoast vikings.

Zones

Candy Crush isn't selling for 60 USD on a single platform
And compared to Animal Crossing / Pokemon…

God of War isn’t rated E For Everyone.
God of War is sold at a far higher average price.
God of War doesn’t have the Japanese market.
God of War is not available on a portable gaming system thus it cannot be played on the go.

Now do you realize how dumb these qualifiers are?

The point is… if you think it’s fair to compare Animal Crossing to God of War, but somehow Candy Crush cannot be compared to Animal Crossing, then you are simply in an extremely delusional state and you do that in order to make yourself feel better about the things you like and the things you don’t.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I have been gaming for over 30 years, and I can safely say that Elden Ring is the greatest video game I have ever played. And I'm still playing it.

Mephisto40

A great game, but it has that Souls fatigue I feel with so many of their games. You are slowly grinding through and after 15-20 hours it just becomes much less enjoyable. I think I put 40-45hrs, made it to Mountains of Giants and just dropped it.
If it was the fire giant you got stuck on, I would just suggest summoning people to get you through it now

The game becomes fun again after that boss fight

Cyberpunkd

If it was the fire giant you got stuck on, I would just suggest summoning people to get you through it now

The game becomes fun again after that boss fight
I was never stuck at any point for long, although much like the swamp in DS1 the sewers under the capital REALLY tested my patience. Shit design is shit.

It's just that I didn't see any meaningful change past a few hours in of get stronger, kill more bosses, get better loot, get even stronger, rinse repeat. Combat is still clunky even after almost 15 years, the sparse storyline is good, but I think they are really starting to be limited by their storytelling choices i.e. being unable to really tell an epic tale without making the experience more linear out of feat it will not be a 'souls' game anymore.

Overall I enjoyed it, just not enough to make it to the end. Will try Ragnarok, something tell me this one would be better.

Top Bottom