• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring Launch Trailer

FrankWza

lord of the rings GIF

Flutta

Banned
With all the latest news and this close to launch basically they’ve spoiled a big portion of the game. So ye not watching this. That network test was enough for me.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Some of those bosses :messenger_hushed:

I don't think it's any more spoiler heavy than previous trailers, it just shows different enemies and areas so I guess it's a lot considering the small length of it. If you've watched any others, just watch this one as well, I'm sure all trailers combined are like glimpses of 5% of the total game anyway.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Was that

Marika the Eternal chained to the Elden ring?

Also

fucking Eldritch monstrocity

Last edited:

Luipadre

Nice! My order from thegamecollection.net has shipped, should hopefully be here tomorrow or Thursday at latest

Propel Water Jet GIF by Xbox

I always go str build in souls game but fuck me the magic is just pure sex in this one i dont know what to do. Maybe a paladin build with mix of melee and magic? I just dont know how to build a character like that :D Maybe str first and magic build the second time

Buggy Loop

I always go str build in souls game but fuck me the magic is just pure sex in this one i dont know what to do. Maybe a paladin build with mix of melee and magic? I just dont know how to build a character like that :D Maybe str first and magic build the second time

You can respec, no stress.

anthony2690

Banned
It’s so hard to get rid of my fam nowadays. Kinda jealous….
I'm happy she is out the way for the day/night, sounds horrible to say, but it means I can relax in peace and enjoy my game :D

Can't wait!

Knowing my luck Amazon won't deliver my game till Saturday now, but maybe I'll be really lucky and get it a day early like dying light 2 (PLEASE)

Allforce

These games always look so fucking awesome but then I remember how fucking hard they are and I just nope out. I'm above average in most genres, even fast action shit like Hades, shmups, etc but I couldn't even top the 2nd boss in Dark Souls 2 back in the day.

tommib

Why not both?

I always end up adding some magic to my strength builds just for magic vulnerable enemies/bosses. I might be playing these games wrong but my builds are a bit random and I never have a fixed idea for what I want from the start.

It depends on the weapons I find and where I start struggling.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Forgive me for knowing nothing at all about this game, but is this an action game, or more of an RPG with action elements (like Horizon)? The trailers all look pure action/fighting with no towns/quest/dialogue or leveling system. Are they just showing only action bits, or is that what the game is?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I really dont know anything about it! The art style has always turned me off but I'm trying to expand out of my set box of games a little, and everyone seems to be clamoring for this. I'd research it more after work, but figured I could post here and one of you rabid fans can enlighten me instead :)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Forgive me for knowing nothing at all about this game, but is this an action game, or more of an RPG with action elements (like Horizon)? The trailers all look pure action/fighting with no towns/quest/dialogue or leveling system. Are they just showing only action bits, or is that what the game is?

Primarily action. You have stats, you make builds, you level up but it's not a traditional RPG at all, your quests will not be listed in a big list (unless that's a big change in ER I don't know about), there will be barely any dialogue and probably no real "towns" to speak of, just small groups of people here and there.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I really dont know anything about it! The art style has always turned me off but I'm trying to expand out of my set box of games a little, and everyone seems to be clamoring for this. I'd research it more after work, but figured I could post here and one of you rabid fans can enlighten me instead :)
They are action games with lots of exploration and some RPG elements, like character progression by levelling up and allocating stats, to lots of inventory management with weapons, armor sets, items, etc.

You see a lot of action in the trailers because that's the flashy part, but exploring in this games is just as important as that. Previous titles were all more or less linear, kinda like a 3D Metroid, but Elden Ring is open world.

Oh and dude, Horizon isn't and RPG.

Pagusas

Elden Member
They are action games with lots of exploration and some RPG elements, like character progression by levelling up and allocating stats, to lots of inventory management with weapons, armor sets, items, etc.

You see a lot of action in the trailers because that's the flashy part, but exploring in this games is just as important as that. Previous titles were all more or less linear, kinda like a 3D Metroid, but Elden Ring is open world.

Oh and dude, Horizon isn't and RPG.

Thank you for the explanation, that helps a lot!

And Horizon is totally a stat based RPG with Dialogue systems, weapon upgrades and everything. Many of the complains about its combat stem from people not realizing its an RPG at its heart. Its a narrative driven experience with leveling, loot, cities, quest and side quest. Its the exact same reason the Witcher 3 is an RPG at its heart.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Thank you for the explanation, that helps a lot!

And Horizon is totally a stat based RPG with Dialogue systems, weapon upgrades and everything. Many of the complains about its combat stem from people not realizing its an RPG at its heart. Its a narrative driven experience with leveling, loot, cities, quest and side quest. Its the exact same reason the Witcher 3 is an RPG at its heart.
I respect and understand you approach to it, but for me neither of those games are RPGs, but action adventure games with RPG elements.

Just my opinion ofc, but for me the "role playing" part doesn't come from the stats, the leveling, the loot or the cities. It comes from having the chance of playing your own role. For example, game's like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Baldur's Gate or Dark Souls let you make your own role playing shit in yout head, and you can play as whatever you like, be it a mage, a thief, a knight... And you can even have whatever past and story you want, as in an actual role playing game on pen & paper, because that's left for the player imagination.

That's not possible in Horizon or The Witcher. In those games you play a set role, you have a character with it's past, story and personality already decided for you. That's not role playing.

And I guess one could say "it's an RPG because you play the role of Geralt". Yeah but if that's the case then Mario Bros would also be an RPG.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

Why not both?

I always end up adding some magic to my strength builds just for magic vulnerable enemies/bosses. I might be playing these games wrong but my builds are a bit random and I never have a fixed idea for what I want from the start.

It depends on the weapons I find and where I start struggling.

I agree, I think the magic looks so cool that I am going paladin for my first playthrough.

Mr Hyde

Something amazing just happened. My launch edition has been shipped!! It's happening. If I'm lucky I'm getting it on Thursday. OMG!

Omg GIF by WE tv

Hyphen

I don't think it's any more spoiler heavy than previous trailers, it just shows different enemies and areas so I guess it's a lot considering the small length of it. If you've watched any others, just watch this one as well, I'm sure all trailers combined are like glimpses of 5% of the total game anyway.
Hmm... I don't know man. I got 35 seconds into this one and bailed. I got the feeling that THIS could be the trailer that those on the fence need to watch, and those who are hyped do not need... :messenger_smiling:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I've played Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro all for about an hour each, but this will be my first From game I get at launch and put time into. The game looks amazing. The trailer is pretty mind blowing, gave me the chills. All I know is I want a character with lots of magic the effects look so fucking cool! Mounts look great, too.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Hmm... I don't know man. I got 35 seconds into this one and bailed. I got the feeling that THIS could be the trailer that those on the fence need to watch, and those who are hyped do not need... :messenger_smiling:

I was going to say "You'll be fine watching it. . .," but just looking at the Dark Souls 3 trailer, I am stunned at just how many bosses they spoiled in that one, including a fairly well hidden one. Like 13 out of the 19 bosses in the game were shown in that trailer. Whoof.

. . .from the trailer I count about six definite legacy bosses.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Most shocking thing in the trailer thinking about it is this one :
homer simpson lobster GIF

Jesus that was brutal
I hope that wasn't even a boss, just a regular enemy in that area :D

The one at ~1:30 reminds me of Monster Hunter Nakarkos in some ways.

Last edited:

Hyphen

I was going to say "You'll be fine watching it. . .," but just looking at the Dark Souls 3 trailer, I am stunned at just how many bosses they spoiled in that one, including a fairly well hidden one. Like 13 out of the 19 bosses in the game were shown in that trailer. Whoof.

. . .from the trailer I count about six definite legacy bosses.

Wow, well Dark Souls 3 was one of those games that just passed me by, so I can't compare. However, I'm hoping for those that braved the trailer that there's still a ton that is left to be discovered. Otherwise someone must extinguish thy memory of the trailer.

Top Bottom