• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring or Bloodborne?

Elden Ring or Bloodborne?

• Elden Ring

Votes: 236 48.2%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 254 51.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flutta

Banned
Bloodborne, even tho i enjoy Rlden Ring alot. I also find Elden Ring much easier which imo goes against the souls formula.

BB is in a league of its own imo.

tassletine

Gameplay wise, easily Bloodborne. ER doesn’t have good or even particularly memorable bosses. The reused animations / designs don’t help.
Lore and general Wow has to go to ER though, it transcends game design at quite a few points and there is far more to see.

Overall, Bloodborne as there are very few games with such abundant variety that are so streamlined. Minus marks here as ER really wasn’t finished on release either, and the game has changed fairly drastically since then.

Gaelyon

They're both amazing games and i loved Bloodborne but Elden Ring has far more builds/armors/weapons/spells/items, and i love exploration in any direction, you'll always find something and the deeper you search the more you'll find. Also you can ride, you can crouch you can jump... and you can die a lot too.

cortadew

Voted Elden Ring, but Dark Souls is the greatest. Always will be.

No other Souls game comes close to the eerie, forlorn atmosphere. Absolute masterpiece and (in my humble opinion) one of the few times that a game has approached the status of art.

That said, does drag after the chuckle brothers.

Honorable mention to DS3, which never gets enough love.
Games have always been art

begotten

and i love exploration in any direction, you'll always find something and the deeper you search the more you'll find.

So many people say this but what do they actually mean?

You'll stumble upon and find the same Mine or Catacombs copy and pasted, with the same copy and pasted boss you can 3 hit - that will give you a Ashe Art or Summon that isn't Frost Stomp or Mimic Ash that 90% of the playerbase relied on?

Elden Rings' "open world" was bare bones in design and repetitive. "open world" but also didn't have many NPC questlines or NPCs in general relative to other Soulsborne games and their scale.

Last edited:

Beardsalt

I love both games but Bloodborne has 2 particular bosses that are better than any in Elden Ring.
Ludwig The Holy Blade and Lady Maria are FromSoft at their best. The music for Ludwig’s fight was sooo good, I would die on purpose just to keep hearing it and the 2nd phase transition is “MY” most memorable moment in any FromSoft games dating back to Kings Field!

Soodanim

Gold Member
I haven't played BB, but while ER was fantastic through my first play through the replay value actually dropped off massively because of how truly optional everything is, which means only the main bosses have value unless you want specific things. There's so much to do and try, but after you've done it all once there's little incentive to do it again. At least with the traditional games there's a consistent pacing and focus. Not to mention the end game's balancing issues thanks to the open world, which means you could be anywhere from level 80-200 by the end game. How do you balance for that?

From the reputation BB has, I wouldn't be surprised if it won the poll.

Last edited:

Ni7r

Banned
I’ve played through Bloodborne twice since beating Elden Ring and while I ultimately prefer Bloodborne (it’s my favorite game of all time), ERs legacy dungeons have more complex level design and the critical path bosses might be stronger than the ones in vanilla Bloodborne. The DLC is what pushes Bloodborne over the edge.

People saying that ER has worse level design than BB are not to be taken seriously. It’s amazing but almost bare bones compared to Stormveil, Leyndell and Farum Azula which are definitely Froms new peak. No question.

It’s also insane how easy BB is after ER.

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

For me Elden Ring.

I tried Bloodborne after ER. But it was simply too difficult, I tried to give it a chance a few times. But the fact that I need to farm the vials in order to get back to boss made it too discouraging.

TheTurboFD

This is difficult, Bloodborne at 60fps would easily compete with Elden Ring but the frame pacing and such kills it in this competition. The sheer amount of content and areas that you can go in Elden Ring eclipses Bloodborne.

I love Elden Ring. But it's open-world dark soul. It feels like generic souls game. Even the soundtrack is generic epic fantasy.

Bloodborne is unique, with a great setting and soundtrack.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Still have to finish ER but, while a good game, I like BB more. Maybe it will change later but so far I prefer BB

Ulysses 31

Bloodborne is a much tighter experience, the open world nature of Elden Ring has the potential of trivializing content if you're overleveled and there's a lot of copy pasting.

Last edited:
You want me to explain it in a NeoGaf post? It would take an essay to explain, to be honest. I suppose one of the major ones would be world design. Open world games have been pretty cookie-cutter for most open world games since Skyrim. Elden Ring is able to guide the player organically through the map just by the player exploring. Verticality is used so places of interest are always viewable to the player. Vantage points, lighting, hidden areas, and navigation design is done best in Elden Ring. I never needed the map to know where to go. When I wanted to continue the "story" I would find the biggest buildings in the area and explore it. It was all intuitive to the player. Don't even get me started on the underground sections and how they seamlessly connected completely different areas of the map. It looked like spaghetti, but it was all intricately connected. By the end of the game, the map is enormous, but the player is so intimately familiar with the map, you could show them a random horizon and they would know where you are. Name an open world game that even gets close to that?

I think the open world genre had milestones. Assassin's Creed -> Skyrim -> BotW -> Elden Ring. This is a pretty lukewarm take.

There are so many more reasons, but I know you just asked because you don't agree.

slade

For me, it's Elden Ring. The lack of jump in Bloodborne and other Souls games just makes them feel outdated after Sekiro.

arvfab

Banned
1. Bloodborne
2. Demon's Souls
3. Sekiro
4. Elden Ring

The open world in ER was useless and didn't add anything positive to the Souls formula.

Chukhopops

More build variety, more equipment options, more content, bosses, quests and endings, more exploration and secrets, more frames per second, more combat options. This isn’t even a comparison honestly.

I have an idea why the vote goes that way though…

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Have to finish ER and after that I'm not sure starting BB or DS2SOTFS.

Bloodborne is scary 😭

Did finish it's boss tho 🐇

Last edited:

Aenima

Both amazing games, but by the end of Elden Ring i was already tired of the game. To me the game peaked around the middle and then the more i played the less i was enjoying it. Found the game too big and less rewarding, as many times i went dungeon raiding, killing the boss would get me an item or weapon that was useless to me. Elden Ring exploration is still excelent, but i enjoyed more Bloodborne combat and im more a fan of the more focused and tight level design from the other Souls games.

SantaC

Elden Ring has higher metacritic and that weighs in more than a gaf poll.

Elden Ring wins no contest.

We already had like 2 other threads about this.
didn't see them
metal-gear-solid-mgs.gif

Last edited:
Its elden ring...the fact bloodborne had 6 years of nostalgia to only win by 10% just shows that. Bloodborne is my 2nd fave game ever recently topped by ER.

Melfice7

the sense of exploration is what sets elden ring apart for me, but bloodborne is still the tighest souls game overall, it just needs 60 fps and no CA

Ever heard of Breath of the Wild?
Yeah, I literally mentioned it in my post. BotW separates the map into climate chunks, so if you show a picture of any particular area, you know the chunk you are looking at, but it is up to the individual. For me, I spent a fraction of my time exploring BotW compared to Elden Ring because the only thing to find in BotW was shrines and korok seeds, while Elden Ring literally had gameplay changing items to find in every corner. I could watch a random person play Elden Ring and I could tell where they were after a couple of minutes because I was just so immersed in the game that I remembered so much of it. For BotW, I would only know the chunk, not the roads, structures, or enemies.

Top Bottom