• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring or Bloodborne?

Elden Ring or Bloodborne?

• Elden Ring

Votes: 236 48.2%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 254 51.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mekes

Bloodborne

But. Both top tier games. I vastly prefer the lore of BB and generally prefer the setting.

DryvBy

I love the weapons in Bloodbourne more and the horror element but from a gameplay point, I think ER is near perfect in every way but the weird multiplayer stuff.

ParaSeoul

Red Dead 2 is a very beautiful game, but the map was so huge that I would have no idea where someone was if I just watched someone randomly play. There was nothing to anchor yourself, so any rolling plain looks like the next one.
I doubt that I can turn off the mini map and still find my way around. Maybe its easier for you in Elden Ring because every area is a different color?

After 130 hours with Elden Ring and 8000+ hours with Bloodborne, it's Bloodborne. Even within the same 130 hour period, I could say it would have still been Bloodborne.
Elden Ring is a great game and I can see myself dumping another 100 or so hours into it, but Bloodborne came at a better time. When the challenge run was young. Now everyone is doing no hit, no damage, blah blah blah. I do that shit casually, however, I don't see myself doing it with Elden Ring. My time as a no life gamer has passed.

Thief1987

Bloodborne is the best From's game. ER without second half and pointless openworld could be a worthy opponent, but unfortunately these two things sending the game straight to a trash bin.

Paltheos

Bloodborne definitely. It's just a tighter experience. Elden Ring is far more ambitious and bigger but it doesn't keep up the same level of quality. ... On the other hand, Elden Ring never forces you to farm for flasks, so it's close~ (fr though BB's better)

After 130 hours with Elden Ring and 8000+ hours with Bloodborne, it's Bloodborne. Even within the same 130 hour period, I could say it would have still been Bloodborne.
Elden Ring is a great game and I can see myself dumping another 100 or so hours into it, but Bloodborne came at a better time. When the challenge run was young. Now everyone is doing no hit, no damage, blah blah blah. I do that shit casually, however, I don't see myself doing it with Elden Ring. My time as a no life gamer has passed.
Sad John Cena GIF

Assuming this is true, you played Bloodborne for about 5.5 hours a day, everyday since launch. That isn't you liking a game, that is an illness.

Last edited:
Sad John Cena GIF

Assuming this is true, you played Bloodborne for about 5.5 hours a day, everyday since launch. That isn't you liking a game, that is an illness.

I played longer than 5.5 hours a day, try minimum 12 hours a day. I have "Twitch Pals" who can vouch for me. Some are well known, while others... not so much. Heh.
I had abandoned my job and got into some shit for a few years which almost cost me my life. That's another story.

In the end, I understood the game better than Fextralife did. From iframes to enemy reactions to certain attacks at certain distances. My grind was the Chalices. I loved them more because people hated them, even top speedrunners and challenge runners. I've done them at BL4 a bunch of times. It was fun while it lasted and looking back... I'd do it again, just differently..

Metnut

I lean BB.

My main issues with Elden Ring are (1) the game runs out of steam about 1/2 - 2/3 through, (2) the majority of the loot is completely useless unless you have a specific build type. ER is still a great game, but not one I really want to finish after playing 50 or so hours and getting 3 great runes.

K2D

Banned
Bloodborne. The hype was real and the hype was right. Game wiped the floor with me for 6 months before I cracked the Souls-formula. Go play it when you're done/stuck in Elden Ring.

RyRy93

I've wanted to drop Elden Ring multiple times, never had that with any other Fromsoft game.

Repeated/clumsily designed bosses combined with sparse and predictable environments completely devoid of the kind of interesting level design means it falls way short of Bloodborne IMO.

Build variety is amazing but does it really matter when the world and bosses are just okay?

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
If you don't think certain posters won't pick Bloodborne just because it's a PlayStation exclusive than you aren't paying attention.
Of course certain people won't play it because it's on playstation.
Their loss....
But I do not associate this game quality to playstation. If it was on pc, it would be the same game. Just 4k60 (dear god)

S0ULZB0URNE

Of course certain people won't play it because it's on playstation.
Their loss....
But I do not associate this game quality to playstation. If it was on pc, it would be the same game. Just 4k60 (dear god)
I in no way was referring to you.
You are far from a fanboy who would vote because of bias.

Robbinhood

Banned
Hard choice. No doubt BB is the tighter game. I'll say that I was having more fun in my 50-60 hours of BB but obviously ER is much longer.

You get moments of sheer awe in ER but I think they are becoming too few and far between the more you play. I think ER was much needed after the 4 other games being similar but nothing tops tight level design. ER has way more weapons but I'm literally only using 1-2, I think in BB they are all equal but vastly different feeling so thats a plus.

Arachnid

Bloodborne, and it's not even close. I like Elden Ring but the dungeons (legacy included) were disappointing with the exception of Stormveil Castle. 90% of the bosses were padding, 7 % were OK, and 3% were legit standouts. Bloodborne had scores of amazing bosses, and the DLC had some of the best bosses in all of Soulsborne. Elden Ring pushed the open world gaming genre forward (one of the best open world games ever made) but the open world still just took away from the normal Soulsborne formula (the open world makes replaying it more of a slog vs other FROM games IMO). Bloodborne had better weapons (no souls game comes close to the trick weapons; sure DS and ER have more, but quality >>> quantity). Bloodborne had better atmosphere, art design, and lore.

Elden Ring really just has fashionsouls and build variety. So many options. Neither of these are anything to scoff at since I love both, but my ideal Soulsborne game would be BB with these two things expanded. Nothing else about BB needs to be changed vs Elden Ring which had plenty of problems.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
So many people say this but what do they actually mean?

You'll stumble upon and find the same Mine or Catacombs copy and pasted, with the same copy and pasted boss you can 3 hit - that will give you a Ashe Art or Summon that isn't Frost Stomp or Mimic Ash that 90% of the playerbase relied on?

Elden Rings' "open world" was bare bones in design and repetitive. "open world" but also didn't have many NPC questlines or NPCs in general relative to other Soulsborne games and their scale.
That's not my experience at all. I never ever used Frost Stomp, and i played maybe 90H+ before even finding the Mimic Ash. It takes me about 170h to finish the game.

The catacombs are for me the chalice equivalent in bloodborne, they're just dispatched in the world and they're optionals. Though i agree about the relative lack of NPC/questlines proportionally to the huge size of the world, i didn't feel the repetitiveness. I mean there's some, but there's so much to explore like the undergrounds realms, the lost city, the capital city, the legacy dungeons etc.

But maybe i'm not your "90%" of players that just follow guides.

Mozzarella

Both are amazing. On one hand i think open world does get in the way of proper Souls game, but on the other Elden Ring feels like the final conclusion of the series.
I think Elden Ring has better levels, outside of Yharnam Bloodborne levels dont reach the heights of Elden Ring like Leyndell and Stormveil.
Elden Ring also does offer superior RPG mechanics through huge build variety, tools and arsenal to use, weapons, magic system is the best Fromsoft has ever done, and the sense of exploration is better, because when you reach the underground area you will be in awe.
Boss fight is controversial, but i think i prefer Elden Ring main game to BB main game.
We will have a more clear picture after Elden Ring DLC gets released.

I believe Bloodborne is the more balanced and tightly made game but Elden Ring offers better variety and rpg depth, therefore i will vote for it since i put bigger value on that rather on balance and tight mechanics, but both are 5/5 for me.

Bloodborne is better in:
1- Lore
2- Atmosphere
3- Balanced gameplay
4- Easier to replay because of its tight level design
5- More unique
6- Cooler aesthetics
7- Soundtrack

Elden Ring is better in:
1- Combat depth
2- RPG mechanics (build variety, stats..etc)
3- Gameplay options (tools, magic system, weapon variety, powerstance, jump)
4- Exploration
5- Level Design
6- Performance
7- Environment Variety (Art Direction)
8- Quests (Ranni Quest > Any quest in BB)
9- Optional Content

Flabagast

Elden Ring is an overbloat mess that outstays its welcome in an unimaginable manner. A Ubi games without icons at its core.

Bloodborne is better and more memorable in so many ways

Plantoid

Bloodborne is the tighter game with superior combat

Elden Ring is a great open world game but isn’t as consistent, and the diverse combat options and hyper aggressive bosses aren’t as satisfying to defeat since it mostly ends up requiring luck or OP
Are u kidding me? Mostly ends up requireing luck or OP???? git gud

I voted for Elden ring because combat and build variety, i recon that the game can a bit too long if you want to do everything in every playthrough, but 90% of the game is optional, if you want to rush it you can in less than 15hours, but what's the fun in that?

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Are u kidding me? Mostly ends up requireing luck or OP???? git gud

Yep, the bosses may be more suited to certain builds as well.

By having so many builds it’s impossible to balance well.

There’s really not many good bosses that feature mastery of patterns and move sets as a result, a lot of attacks are nearly impossible to defend against with certain builds.

Bosses are nowhere near as satisfying as BB

Last edited:

Ogbert

Hand on heart, I am amazed at the way everyone just completely glosses over BB's frame rate and frame pacing issues.

I get it at the time, but years later, with the DS remake and games running at a steady 60fps, I'm thinking it might be time to start calling bullshit.

Mozzarella

A lot of people refuse to engage with what the combat system offers in Elden Ring and usually find their Guts sword and stick to their jumping attacks, making the combat feel boring after a while.
But in Elden Ring you have multiple ways to fight your enemies, you can use status effect based builds, magic, tools, perfumes, ranged combat, mounted combat, stealth. The weapons are many classes from spears to hammers to daggers to halberds to dual weapons, shields and poke and many more.
You can cast frost attack, reduce the enemy and burst it, then reset with a fire spell, you can use the water to increase lighting damage and oil to increase fire damage, you can overcome gank bosses by cc one of them with sleep and focusing on the other, you can rot a bigger health pool enemy like runebear with proper rot/poison tools, you can buff yourself or your weapon and debuff the enemy, you can also use gravity magic to do cool moves, there's tons of ways to play. There's also the Ashes of War which can customize your playstyle even further.

In Bloodborne your ways to fight are simply, R1, R2 and transforming attacks, there are different weapons to use but there are few, and some of them share similar movesets, that of a curved/straight sword with transformation to 2h axe/greatsword. The only status you can use is poison, arcane (shock) and fire paper, its so limited. And the hunter tools are so few and alot of them feel useless or inferior to what you already have, It's just more balanced but ER eclipses BB in terms of variety, options and depth, therefore the combat imo is better.
In my playthrough i used multiple tools for my build and i was engaged, sadly i know some of my friends went to one dimensional playstyle, one was using summon ashes to tank while they spam Moonveil weapon art over and over, and the other wields those big swords in 2 hands (powerstance) and keeps spamming jumping attacks through the whole game, if that is how you play, you are limiting yourself and its not going to be much fun 50+ hours in. ONGBAL showcases different ways to play the combat and i think it's why i put the combat in ER above BB, the only one aspect BB has is that its more balanced. (Quickstep and Malenia rune gives you the sidestep dodge and the hp regen aggressive feature) However i advice against it, since imo ER is not designed to be played aggressively, try that shit against Malenia and you will get wrecked.

Last edited:
Repeating awesome bosses and giving them new moves and powers isn't a problem when you already have many more different kinds of bosses than games that don't repeat bosses.

When you're fighting a giant snake demon in a fiery hellscape and he pauses the battle and turns around to reveal a creepy humanoid face on the back of his serpent hide that awakens and says "very well" do you think to yourself "oh, how generic?"

It's like a hipster backlash to the game of games

Last edited:
Top Bottom