• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING Shadow of the Erdtree will have no new trophies

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
not like this GIF

xrnzaaas

I don't understand whenever that happens. Implementing new trophies isn't a very complicated process and there's always a chance people will stay with the game longer or buy the expansion without waiting for a sale.

I know I waited when it turned out that Desperados 3 DLC or The Crew DLC's didn't have any new trophies. Same with games like GT7, I'd be more interested in returning to the game if the new post launch content got some fresh ones (like it did in Forza Horizon 5, for example).

Last edited:

Three

That is what trophies are though - making people play the game exactly the same. It used to be that you would come up with fun challenges for yourself using your imagination.
I mean you can also play imaginary games too then you wouldn't need to play the same games as everyone else but what do you lose if a game has preset achievements/trophies? It's all a plus for added game challenges not a negative in any way.

TexMex

I mean you can also play imaginary games too then you wouldn't need to play the same games as everyone else but what do you lose if a game has preset achievements/trophies? It's all a plus for added game challenges not a negative in any way.

Yeah them existing doesn’t stop anyone from making up imaginary achievements in their head I don’t get it.

Aenima

Wonderful. Won’t have losers cluttering the game thread complaining or talking about the platinum or other trophies. Love FromSoft.
Platinum trophy is not tied to DLC trophies. Its very unusual to have an expansion without trophies or achievements. I find it bizarre ppl in a gaming forum defending this as a good thing when trophies add more replay value to ppl that like to engage with them and its free.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
J8FZIm9VoBU6Q.webp

People talking about how they platted this or 100% that or whining how annoying getting a certain trophy is are always the worst part of game discussions.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They might add trophies later on with update but I personally I feel indifferent. Old Hunters had trophies but most of them you get just playing the game normally, the trophy felt afterthought more than give you proper challenge.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
That is what trophies are though - making people play the game exactly the same. It used to be that you would come up with fun challenges for yourself using your imagination.
Irony is serious here. Gotta beat generic boss with the same dodging and parrying skills. Amazing to me that people who fight the same enemies over and over and over again to figure out how to beat the same enemies are salty over someone feeling like they did something cool with what they accomplished in a game….

Cynexius

Neo Member
So, 2.3 years after the release of the base game, the DLC is reportedly only the size of Limgrave, is just 16 GB in size, and has no new trophies.

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Danjin44

So, 2.3 years after the release of the base game, the DLC is reportedly only the size of Limgrave, is just 16 GB in size, and has no new trophies.

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN
You have zero understanding of how file size works in games.....I guess by your logic Hellbalde 2 has has more gameplay than entire Elden Ring because it has bigger file size.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Oh no. Without a small notification popping up in the corner of my screen, how will I possibly feel any sense of validation over a boss I've just beaten?

Over It Eye Roll GIF by Friends
Oh no..without any notification popping up about the boss you have just beaten.

By the way, no one gives a shit about you beating that last boss.

How is that any different?? Please explain, I’m here for the discussion?

Also…I get it, not worth the excitement. Because I sure asf don’t care about you moving forward in the game….butttt..Why are you so bothered by the other player who has no one who gives a shit about him/her beating that last boss. Shit is super fucking weird to me when people get so worked up about trophies/achievements.

bender

What time is it?
Would that be a first for a FromSoft expansion?

edit: Looks like DS3 didn't have them either.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

I know people that absolutely refuse to buy a switch because it has no achievement system, it is a pretty big deal to many and they will not even look at games without them.

I can imagine some old geezer back in the day telling his friends around a Pac-Man machine "it blows my mind that people care about leaderboards."
So you admit trophies and cheevos are purely for showing off and bragging rights? Seems kinda pathetic if that's the case. I mean I don't hate them, but certainly don't respect someone with a hundred any more than I would those with none or a small number of platinums, for instance.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Not necessary but always nice to see one ding after a particularly difficult boss for extra satisfaction.

Fredrik

I’ve played the base game for over 500 hours and still only unlocked 34/42 achievements. I’m perfectly okay with this.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Oh no..without any notification popping up about the boss you have just beaten.

By the way, no one gives a shit about you beating that last boss.

How is that any different?? Please explain, I’m here for the discussion?

Also…I get it, not worth the excitement. Because I sure asf don’t care about you moving forward in the game….butttt..Why are you so bothered by the other player who has no one who gives a shit about him/her beating that last boss. Shit is super fucking weird to me when people get so worked up about trophies/achievements.

Dude, the only people getting worked up are the ones who objected to my post 😂 chill out. It’s really not that important.

Last edited:

Soodanim

So you admit trophies and cheevos are purely for showing off and bragging rights? Seems kinda pathetic if that's the case.
"Admit"? You say that like he's the secret keeper for the trophilluminati and you just caught him letting out the big secret that will bring it all down. Good work, Sherlock Batman.

Ignoring that that isn't what he said at all and you're calling him out based on something you chose to infer, how could trophies possibly be purely for that one thing? They are a factual record with no inherent value, and any value assigned to them is entirely subjective.

Some people might see trophies as a timestamped record of their games over the years. Nothing wrong with that, it serves that purpose.
Some people might see trophies as a competition with friends. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what they enjoy then they're getting something extra out of their games for free.
Some people might see trophies as inspiration to play a game a certain way that they wouldn't have thought of doing themselves. Nothing wrong with getting extra life from a game you enjoy at no added cost.
Some people might see trophies as something they don't have an interest in turn the notifications off. Nothing wrong with this either, there's nothing lost if you don't care.

Bartski

Gold Member
"Admit"? You say that like he's the secret keeper for the trophilluminati and you just caught him letting out the big secret that will bring it all down. Good work, Sherlock Batman.

Ignoring that that isn't what he said at all and you're calling him out based on something you chose to infer, how could trophies possibly be purely for that one thing? They are a factual record with no inherent value, and any value assigned to them is entirely subjective.

Some people might see trophies as a timestamped record of their games over the years. Nothing wrong with that, it serves that purpose.
Some people might see trophies as a competition with friends. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what they enjoy then they're getting something extra out of their games for free.
Some people might see trophies as inspiration to play a game a certain way that they wouldn't have thought of doing themselves. Nothing wrong with getting extra life from a game you enjoy at no added cost.
Some people might see trophies as something they don't have an interest in turn the notifications off. Nothing wrong with this either, there's nothing lost if you don't care.
I have no idea how anyone gives two shits about "bragging rights". To me they're like meta progression and a layer to finishing the game beyond credits, but that only works in games I really like.
And a very good point about the timestamping record, I love the PS video capture having a clip of beating a very hard boss for the first time I like re-watching that.

At the end of the day it's just a little something extra, the game is what's really important.

Reyziak

I like to trophy hunt. Would that stop me from buying a DLC? No.

It is lazy AF tho.
From has never done DLC trophies, Bloodborne is the exception, but it was co-developed by Sony's Japan Studio, so those trophies might have been done by them and not From.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It still blows my mind that people care about that shit.

Because they become something else to work towards in a game. Or help guide players towards hidden mechanics they might otherwise be unaware of.

Like many of the things in videogames are an arbitrary challange, like harder difficulties. These things help push gamers towards these modes that they might otherwise ignore.

As someone who went onto Astro the other day to figure out the new content I went and did the handful of trophies left outstanding for the platinum, it was fun. Why wouldn't it be? Or entire hobby of gaming is arbitrary challanges for the sake of it.

Last edited:
I love trophies, as long as they work as a sort of checklist of things to do. As a completionist, it gives an overview of what stuff I’m missing to experience all or most of the game. The “play this game and finish it in 45 minutes without taking damage” kind of trophy don’t work for me, but the “see X ending”, “see Y ending”, “Uncover the secret of Z” kind of trophy work for me more.
Exactly how I feel. If it’s some senseless grind that doesn’t help me experience the full game then no thanks.

DryvBy

So you admit trophies and cheevos are purely for showing off and bragging rights? Seems kinda pathetic if that's the case. I mean I don't hate them, but certainly don't respect someone with a hundred any more than I would those with none or a small number of platinums, for instance.

In some regard, but if you think that's all a leaderboard is then I have bad news for you. Leaderboards were also a challenge in itself to push yourself to hit number 1. Back in the day when people pushed for challenges vs today kids who pay to win.

Because they become something else to work towards in a game. Or help guide players towards hidden mechanics they might otherwise be unaware of.

Like many of the things in videogames are an arbitrary challange, like harder difficulties. These things help push gamers towards these modes that they might otherwise ignore.

As someone who went onto Astro the other day to figure out the new content I went and did the handful of trophies left outstanding for the platinum, it was fun. Why wouldn't it be? Or entire hobby of gaming is arbitrary challanges for the sake of it.
Checklists, questlogs, min/maxing, skill trees where you end up unlocking everything, trophies... they turn gameplay into a job. You even used that language: 'work towards'. It's awful, imo.

Danjin44

I think it Just FROM didn't care putting trophies in their expansion, they didn't in Dark Souls expansion either. The only reason Old Hunters had one is because of Sony more than FROM themselves.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
Oh no. Without a small notification popping up in the corner of my screen, how will I possibly feel any sense of validation over a boss I've just beaten?

Over It Eye Roll GIF by Friends

Oh come on. It's so the community can know you beat the boss, and it might be the most validation you get all week!

Top Bottom