• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk sent a company wide email regarding Tesla factory conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost among the day's news about the Paris climate change accord was this email that Tesla CEO Elon Musk sent out company wide the previous day. This email has been confirmed as real by multiple employees of Tesla.

F8HjUa0.jpg

For the many people who are ignorant of this person on GAF, and we know that most of GAF is incredibly ignorant regarding him from the Elon Musk/Paris accords thread, I will offer only a brief explanation.

Musk is very well-known for being very hands-on as a manager. This goes back to his days at Paypal where he actually wrote a lot of platform code himself. He is also well-known for being very engaged at SpaceX and for basically learning advanced rocketry from books himself just so he could understand what his engineers were doing and engage with them to solve problems.

During the early troubled launch period of the Model X electric SUV, he became famous at Tesla for pitching a tent at the end of the assembly lines for it and sleeping on the factory floor overnight for several weeks so he could be there to inspect every car as it came off the line. I'm not making this story up.

Knowing a little about how Musk operates, I can really see him going down to the factory floor and working random line jobs there to verify if something there was reported as being dangerous or causing working injuries. He has long had a reputation for wanting employees at his companies to bring concerns directly to him bypassing intervening layers of management so this is not anything new to him.

The Reddit thread about this can be found here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...s_letter_about_factory_working_conditions_he/

lupinko

Yeah he's the Musky one.

That's also one of the reasons why he's anti union since the Union would be the middle man in between him and his employees.

But that's a different topic entirely.

Jezbollah

I'm a huge SpaceX fan (as my threads on their launches can prove) - Musk's attitude on this is welcome, if a bit overdue. There's pressure on Tesla workers to unionize - It remains to be seen if this move (along with others designed to reduce working hours for their workers) comes to fruition. If it does, good on him and them.

Feep

Banned
Yeah, the hate on Musk has been insane. If you have a chance to theoretically influence someone to help our planet, you hold your nose and do it.

All the criticism of him reeks of purity test bullshit.

The man is trying to push us into the future. He's done more for humanity than almost anyone alive. Anyone criticizing him for trying to help can bugger off, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, the hate on Musk has been insane. If you have a chance to theoretically influence someone to help our planet, you hold your nose and do it.

All the criticism of him reeks of purity test bullshit.

The man is trying to push us into the future. He's done more for humanity than almost anyone alive. Anyone criticizing him for trying to help can bugger off, as far as I'm concerned.

He demands the absolute maximum from his employees. Your life basically becomes working for him, at least thats what it seems.

That mind sound bad, however, he is probably the same, if not even more extreme, so it's not like he is this lazy fat CEO doing nothing all day exploiting his workforce. He probably works more than any of his employees and sleeps less.

Considering that he does this to save us from ourselves, I really can't be mad about it.

Paganmoon

He has long had a reputation for wanting employees at his companies to bring concerns directly to him bypassing intervening layers of management so this is not anything new to him.

Isn't this something that should be fixed? if he doesn't have faith in middle management they shouldn't be there.

He demands the absolute maximum from his employees. Your life basically becomes working for him, at least thats what it seems.

That mind sound bad, however, he is probably the same, if not even more extreme, so it's not like he is this lazy fat CEO doing nothing all day exploiting his workforce. He probably works more than any of his employees and sleeps less.

Considering that he does this to save us from ourselves, I really can't be mad about it.

Thins like this is what's causing a bit of the backlash against him I think, the whole cult building around him "trying to save us from ourselves". It's the same problem I have with the likes of Snowden, people are elavating them to the skies. These people are only human, they are not perfect, and the cult bulding around them is dangerous.

Tylercrat

Banned
Isn't this something that should be fixed? if he doesn't have faith in middle management they shouldn't be there.

Thins like this is what's causing a bit of the backlash against him I think, the whole cult building around him "trying to save us from ourselves". It's the same problem I have with the likes of Snowden, people are elavating them to the skies. These people are only human, they are not perfect, and the cult bulding around them is dangerous.

Well, Snowden is a criminal. Musk is the CEO of one of the most important and interesting companies out there. His products help to push all the other car companies to keep up in the race for electric cars and solar power.

Musk is also singlehandedly keeping our hopes of being a multi-planet species alive with SpaceX. As the government space programs lose funding and decrease in viability. Private space exploration (right now led by Musk) is the best chance we have at actually going to Mars. Our government is not going to take us to Mars (because it is too costly), but private companies will.

tuxfool

Banned
Lost among the day's news about the Paris climate change accord was this email that Tesla CEO Elon Musk sent out company wide the previous day. This email has been confirmed as real by multiple employees of Tesla.

For the many people who are ignorant of this person on GAF, and we know that most of GAF is incredibly ignorant regarding him from the Elon Musk/Paris accords thread, I will offer only a brief explanation.

Musk is very well-known for being very hands-on as a manager. This goes back to his days at Paypal where he actually wrote a lot of platform code himself. He is also well-known for being very engaged at SpaceX and for basically learning advanced rocketry from books himself just so he could understand what his engineers were doing and engage with them to solve problems.

During the early troubled launch period of the Model X electric SUV, he became famous at Tesla for pitching a tent at the end of the assembly lines for it and sleeping on the factory floor overnight for several weeks so he could be there to inspect every car as it came off the line. I'm not making this story up.

Knowing a little about how Musk operates, I can really see him going down to the factory floor and working random line jobs there to verify if something there was reported as being dangerous or causing working injuries. He has long had a reputation for wanting employees at his companies to bring concerns directly to him bypassing intervening layers of management so this is not anything new to him.

The Reddit thread about this can be found here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...s_letter_about_factory_working_conditions_he/

For somebody what whines about neoliberals you seem awfully forgiving of somebody that hates unions.

Apt101

It seems like more of a symbolic gesture, having managers (and how high up? Directors as well?) perform the line tasks. Maybe form (or improve upon, if it already exists) a division for safety and oversight and give them some power in the company - real teeth.

How's this any different from when managers and other higher ups give you a pat in the back? I mean, the efforts on sanctifying the man from its followers don't really help him when what we need is a nuanced view.

Tovarisc

Just stating logic / sentiment that I see quite often when Snowden is discussed. Also why so many applaud Manning, she stuck around to be caught (yes, caught) and be held responsible for her doings.

She is hero where Snowden is traitorous piece of shit.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I mean not to be snarky but he doesn't need to meet with every injured employee individually. Its a nice gesture, don't get me wrong, but just...work with OSHA?

Aselith

I really appreciate the care he is placing into this however I DO feel like for factory workers it may be very stressful to have to meet with the CEO every time there's an accident. Imagine how taxing it would be to have to go into his office and recount how you screwed up accidentally when you were moving some boxes or something. I guess it depends on how frequently he's out on the floor and how comfortable they are with him, how informal the meeting is, etc.

I'm sure it's his intention to be proactive about finding problems and he's not intending to add undue stress but sometimes as the boss, you can do that without realizing.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just stating logic / sentiment that I see quite often when Snowden is discussed. Also why so many applaud Manning, she stuck around to be caught (yes, caught) and be held responsible for her doings.

She is hero where Snowden is traitorous piece of shit.
Bullshit.

Ferr986

Yeah he's the Musky one.

That's also one of the reasons why he's anti union since the Union would be the middle man in between him and his employees.

But that's a different topic entirely.

Why this is seen as good? I mean, I don't know the guy but you can be sure if I have a problem I'll rather take it to my union and not my boss, who may or not may do shit othen than good talk (I'm from Europe, where Unions aren't an evil).

Safety is a culture thing though, so it's more important to have a great culture than to try the job yourself. That can lead into it, but also isn't necessarily necessary.

Sane_Man

I like how your post is glossed over completely.

If the allegations are true then it's sickening what they did to her. If they're untrue then it's no surprise she was fired. I'd get fired if I went to the press and criticised my workplace with false allegations. The article states a third party company found her allegations to not have any merit. We'll hopefully find out the truth after it goes to court and if the allegations are proven true she'll deservedly get a shit load of money.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Cult of personality runs strong even on GAF and I will add I fully respect many of his ventures but some of you need to stop smelling his farts and saying they smell like roses.

I have little faith in these new Tech leaders. They're not much different from other business leaders. People tend to ignore their short comings because they're blinded by the supposed benefits of the new technology.
To quote from a song -"Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom