• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enemies that made you go "Nope"

Headcrab_poison.jpg

aku:jiki

Recently, the fat boys from State of Decay. They're pretty easy to kill with molotovs but I never carried any, so every time I saw one I just left and came back to do whatever I was doing at that place later.

lBYUnas.jpg

the doll thing from Genma Onimusha
Hah, this too. Walk into room, see doll, fuck that, leave.

Gadirok

^ this

When i replay super mario 64 i always skip this whole world actually.

Also the dogs from penumbra.

I don't get this. I never found the eel scary. Even before and after the star I would chase around after its tail for fun. The only level that made me go NOPE in super Mario 64 was the ghost level because of its strange atmosphere and those small tight rooms with the weird coffin like things stuck around it. Also the merry go round music in the distance sounds creepy.

Surprising lack of Zelda enemies in here. I swear, they make 'em creepier every game. But the one enemy that creeped me out way back when and still creeps me out today is the Dead Hand from Ocarina of Time.

CSDz3No.png

Look at that thing. What ancient spellbook of horror did they use to conjure up that bastard? I nearly peed my pants back in the day when this ugly fuck came up. Heck, when I replayed OoT on the 3DS it still creeped me out. I swear the developers have to be on some strong hallucinogenics to come up with the things they do.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Pretty much most of the enemies from Dark Souls and Demon's Souls and Silent Hill 2 and 3. The Clickers in the Last of Us are good, but I don't feel incredibly intimidated by just one of them. Now, more than 2 or 3, yeah, I'm outta there.

Kaldea

For me, spiders in Twilight Princess and Crimson Heads in REmake.

Also, if the Abyss in Endless Ocean was ever considered an enemy, that.

Madness

The regenerators from Resident Evil 4...when I first saw one, I was like hell no and ran away. It was chasing me down the hall. I didn't even try to shoot the parasite in or locate it. I just kept blasting it and running back. Eventually it got destroyed somehow without me using the infrared vision.

The Last of Us spoilers:
Bloaters.
That melee kill animation made me turn off the game for a few minutes to calm down every single squick alarm in my body going off at the same time.

Steroyd

I'd think nothing of it nowadays but I was a kid when I played this, and every enemy was killable before this... it freaked the hell out of me when I came across an invincible enemy.

1aH65Zk.jpg

This dope fish man. *shudders*

Sadist

Together with the RE 4 Regenerator.gif the best nope enemies around. I'm still at the beginning of Dark Souls (yes, I suck that badly. I need to play it again) and I still remember foolishly pressing on in this area, because I thought this was the path I needed to take to get somewhere. So I enter the cave, see shit flaring up and I'm like "well this was a horrible idea OMG GET OUT".

Other enemies that make me go nope every time:

- Lisa Trevor in REmake. The first encounter down in the cabin is simply amazing and creepy at the same time. The underground thing? Nope. Nope Nope Nope.

- "It" from Resident Evil 4. Sadler is punking you man, he doesn't have this weird thing in store for Leon. He's having a senior moment. Then you see the hanging cage structure and WHAM there he is. When you start and he's nearing you... oh god please go away.

- Creepy girl ghosts in Project Zero/Fatal Frame. I'm not easily scared, but Project Zero makes my skin crawl. Every time I heard something, I'm got all jumpy and yep there they are, ghost kids coming to haunt me. Aaaarrrggh.

Or this

225842-ProjectZero.jpg

Edit: bonus, zombies in ZombiU. To be fair, ZombiU together with Dark Souls is the definition of NOPE, but certain areas are just fucked up. One point in particular is just pure freaking evil. You enter another underground where everything is pitchblack. You pick up a flare and you see like six or seven zombies looking right at you. NOPE

Khronico

Mimic.jpg

An evil chest is bad enough, but there's something about the dark Souls Mimic with it's long, spindly limbs and chuckling that totally creeps me out. Doesn't stop me from ending them in short order, though.

First time I fought one in Sens was the most tense, scary experience I've had in a game. I spent almost ten minutes just getting up the nerve to fight it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Bear skeletons from the OP plus
This asshole and the geodudes from Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Bzm if you read this, fuck you, I want to play now

Top Bottom