• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: A look at the redesigned Steam Controller

Sendou

If you are going to play a game that *needs* a d-pad you will choose another controller goddamnit.

This is for the other dozen or so genres that you can't play with that other controller.

StuBurns

Banned
Good thing about the controller, multiple 3rd party ones will be available. Someone will make it if you ask nicely ;)
You might be able to answer this actually, say the Alienware SM is $500, does that include a Valve controller, or an Alienware version of one, or no controller?

MercuryLS

Banned
You might be able to answer this actually, say the Alienware SM is $500, does that include a Valve controller, or an Alienware version of one, or no controller?

I'm pretty sure steam boxes will include the default valve controller. Variants will be available from 3rd parties.

With the Alienware model we don't know, but in the iBP or CBP model they said the Valve SC would be included. Things might have changed since then, dunno.

Grief.exe

Yeah, I'm in the "this looks awful and totally uncomfortable" field. It just seems totally pointless.
I still think this controller is a waste of everyone's time.

The reason the controller exists is to natively work with the thousands of games that aren't compatible with the more recently introduced xinput standard and those that don't play well with controller. Oftentimes these two requirements aren't mutually exclusive either.

Keep in mind that the face buttons will be more useful for tertiary tasks, while the triggers back buttons will be for your primary actions. Another thing to remember is, this is the PC, if a certain controller is better for that particular game you are playing, fight stick, joystick, racing wheel, DS4, whatever, plug it in and use that.

That is a very good question and the answer is, we just don't know.

SteamOS is natively compatible with M/KB, Xinput controllers, Steam Controllers, etc so there is a good chance they won't include anything.

My first thought was, "omg that dpad" but I think they intend for you to use the left touch pad for games like that.

Now that I think about it, the touch pad seems like it'd be superior for hadukens.

jett

D-Member
That's definitely a smarter design. The button placement in the other one screamed different for different's sake. That is clearly the worst dpad design of all time though, but I suppose it's not really a dpad. Good thing SteamOS will support all sorts of controllers, eh. :p

I guess they gave up on having a touchscreen.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that people can't figure out it isn't a D-Pad. The whole reason the pads are there are to replace the sticks/D-Pad anyway, so what the hell?

You don't like using the pads to Hadouken?
Use your controller or fightstick. It's not going away, is it?

NOTHING is better for controllers than boring old tactile buttons. Buttons are king because of springy tactile response.

Buttons are where it is at.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I like the directional buttons better than a d-pad to be perfectly honest.

The only thing you don't seem to be capable of doing with the directional pads in this configuration is rapidly pressing between left+right or up+down. There isn't a single game I can think of that I play which actually requires that you do that.

Granted, I don't play fighting games, but other than those (which aren't ideal on most controllers anyways) I should be able to use these buttons perfectly for directional movement.

Well, there you go.

This is a step in the wrong direction. As a recent PC gaming covert, I want more console-centric genres represented on the platform, like sports, fighting, etc.

Getting cute with those directional buttons for the sake of symmetry is silly. Valve should just put a proper, well-made d-pad in there and people will use the controller for 2D platformers, fighting games, etc.

Yaoibot

Thank God, that dual touchpad thingie and no tangible buttons or analogs looked like a friggn' mess for action or controller based games. I'm sure it would have been decent for SRPG or MOBAs though; and still is.

Looking forward to picking one up now. Had no interest in swapping from an X360 for PC controller before.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'll wait for impressions but it looks like they went with design over functionality, especially with that d-pad.

Nzyme32

They all come with a steam controller, is the official line. I imagine it is likely they will be the valve official ones, and other third parties will have to be bought separately

Testers have been using the old model for platformers and fighters, so I don't get where this it's useless for those games sentiment is coming from. Just use your XDS controller then...

Well, there you go.

This is a step in the wrong direction. As a recent PC gaming covert, I want more console-centric genres represented on the platform, like sports, fighting, etc.

Getting cute with those directional buttons for the sake of symmetry is silly. Valve should just put a proper, well-made d-pad in there and people will use the controller for 2D platformers, fighting games, etc.
Then get a fightstick or a different controller that could be more suited to your playing style.
Who knows? Maybe the pads work well enough to be used in fighting games. I mean, quite a few testers have used them for fighting games. Have you checked that out?

Warewolf

That D-pad looks neglected. It's symmetrical look makes for a beautiful controller but round convex buttons. . . I'm ill-convinced it will be what I want out of a D-pad. Wish they would just start selling prototypes.

I'm kind of confused by the D-pad comments here. For many games, the D-pad is relegated to a minor role of existing for shortcuts and the like, and that's what I see here: four more mappable buttons. If I need a D-pad for precise movement in a game, I'll just make the left trackpad a virtual D-pad, no problem. I'm already looking at button-mapping configurations for some of my favorite games.

Based on the iterations of the controller we've seen, I feel like we're just gonna end up with this:

159834_detail.jpg

Dr.Acula

Banned
Well, there you go.

Why would you want to play a fighting game with anything other than an arcade stick?

Majukun

Still looks like a bad idea,no analogue stick and horrible d-pad.it,s a pad to play a moba,not to play videogames in general

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Then get a fightstick or a different controller that could be more suited to your playing style.
Who knows? Maybe the pads work well enough to be used in fighting games. I mean, quite a few testers have used them for fighting games. Have you checked that out?

I don't want to jump too aggressively to conclusions on this, because, as you say, I haven't tried the controller and I could be surprised.

That said, I currently have a standard, wired 360 controller (with a terrible d-pad), as well as a 360 fightpad. I'd just hoped that Valve would offer something that could make both of those unneeded because of its pure awesomeness. It's just frustrating because a good d-pad is really all that's missing.

jj984jj

Those claiming that the "diamond layout of directional arrows" or whatever else you'd call it is "not a d-pad" aren't really fooling anyone. It's pretty obvious they just decided the symmetrical design is what they wanted. Maybe they think a d-pad is irrelevant to their target audience but it's still a d-pad.

Dario ff

Banned
Those claiming that the "diamond layout of directional arrows" or whatever else you'd call it is "not a d-pad" aren't really fooling anyone. It's pretty obvious they just decided the symmetrical design is what they wanted. Maybe they think a d-pad is irrelevant to their target audience but it's still a d-pad.
The solution of where the d-pad functionality really is for 2D Platformers and Fighting Games hasn't changed at all between both revisions of the controller. Since that's the case, a bunch of extra buttons with misleading labels (For legacy support of the games that use it as function buttons) doesn't change how you play with it.

Goddard

So I take it they went with abxy in the same Xbox style so that devs don't need to add additional button prompts to their games? Seems smart. The controller still looks odd to me.

Looking weird is something that is not going to be easy to overcome given two large circular touchpads that look like eyes. I don't care personally, the idea of a controller is that of not thinking about what you're doing with your hands, so as long as the control is good I don't care what it looks like.

The Cowboy

Love the look of most of it now, the track pads look great, the new central buttons look great (instead of the touch screen), the 4 main buttons look great - but the directional buttons look terrible. Just try it, grab your game pad (if you have one) and try to use the main 4 buttons like a directional pad, it feels terrible.

In saying that (regarding the d-pad), man alive does this look like the perfect Ttianfall controller (considering how the d-pad is used for that game).

I don't want to jump too aggressively to conclusions on this, because, as you say, I haven't tried the controller and I could be surprised.

That said, I currently have a standard, wired 360 controller (with a terrible d-pad), as well as a 360 fightpad. I'd just hoped that Valve would offer something that could make both of those unneeded because of its pure awesomeness. It's just frustrating because a good d-pad is really all that's missing.
I see what you mean. Believe me, I'm ridiculously picky when it comes to D-Pads and use a fightpad for most games, but I think that there's a chance the pads will work well as replacements. (Mostly for Street Fighter-like inputs.) A classic controller setup would be great, but since this controller targets a HUGE amount of genres, I can see why the buttons are like they are.

I'll be reading up on this more as this thread develops, as I don't have access to a Steam Controller, but it seems silly to see so many complain about the button layout without even trying it.

Kazerei

Banned
dat true wonderswan feel

TmohQ8a.jpg

From personal experience, the WSC was small enough and the buttons close enough together that I could comfortably rest my thumb on all four X or Y buttons. It was easy to hit diagonals or whatever I wanted. I haven't held the Steam controller, but I'm imagining trying to use the face buttons on existing controllers as a D-pad, and it doesn't feel nearly as good as a proper D-pad.

Its secondary function is a D-pad. Those buttons are primarily for extra inputs (which is excellent for, mobas, grand strategy, and a large host of other genres).

Plus it doesn't really need one. There was an article a while back by someone on Team Meat who said the touchpad worked really well for 2D movement.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm kind of confused by the D-pad comments here. For many games, the D-pad is relegated to a minor role of existing for shortcuts and the like, and that's what I see here: four more mappable buttons. If I need a D-pad for precise movement in a game, I'll just make the left trackpad a virtual D-pad, no problem. I'm already looking at button-mapping configurations for some of my favorite games.
Why does it matter how often you use it when regards to how nice to make it?

Every button on a controller should be very satisfying to press, regardless of how much it's used. And if they really are analog, Valve's R&D are smoking crack. The crisp action and response is everything a gamepad button is.

I still can't believe Sony dropped the Vita dpad from the DS4. I'd like to slap whoever made that call.

v1lla21

Controller looks fine to me, even the directional buttons. When I play fighters or side scrollers I always use analog as I find Dpads to be uncomfortable no matter the controller.

dtg

Neo Member
Those face buttons and d-pad are going to be hell to use unless you go full d-pad and face buttons. The Wii-U controller is the same deal. Both analog sticks on top is really, really awkward to play with. Still a day one buy for me though. I really wish they would split the two back triggers into four individual buttons each. That would give you 6 additional buttons giving your fingers access to 12 buttons on the back of the controller instead of 6.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That looks wayyyyyy more approachable. Even if their old design was better, I think it was too foreign / different for people to even consider trying.

jj984jj

The solution of where the d-pad functionality really is for 2D Platformers and Fighting Games hasn't changed at all between both revisions of the controller. Since that's the case, a bunch of extra buttons with misleading labels (For legacy support of the games that use it as function buttons) doesn't change how you play with it.

I thought part of the point of removing the touch screen was to make the controller more functional, but I guess their aim wasn't to improve between revisions then I suppose you can simply call them misleading labels.

Grief.exe

Those face buttons and d-pad are going to be hell to use unless you go full d-pad and face buttons. The Wii-U controller is the same deal. Both analog sticks on top is really, really awkward to play with. Still a day one buy for me though. I really wish they would split the two back triggers into four individual buttons each. That would give you 6 additional buttons giving your fingers access to 12 buttons on the back of the controller instead of 6.

The reason the controller exists is to natively work with the thousands of games that aren't compatible with the more recently introduced xinput standard and those that don't play well with controller. Oftentimes these two requirements aren't mutually exclusive either.

Keep in mind that the face buttons will be more useful for tertiary tasks, while the triggers back buttons will be for your primary actions. Another thing to remember is, this is the PC, if a certain controller is better for that particular game you are playing, fight stick, joystick, racing wheel, DS4, whatever, plug it in and use that.

I thought part of the point of removing the touch screen was to make the controller more functional, but I guess their aim wasn't to improve between revisions then I suppose you can simply call them misleading labels.

I have a feeling the touchpad was removed to cut costs. Anyways, what was the point of the touchpad that isn't filled by standard buttons?

It looks better. I kind of miss the little screen though. I'm glad that they're sticking with the circle pad position. Putting the thumb sticks on top was one of the best decisions made with the Wii U Gamepad/Pro Controller.

Top Bottom