• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English voice actor of Kiryu in Gaiden is being replaced by Youtuber Yong Yea

j0hnnix

Nada No GIF by CBC

I don't know why everyone hate this guy, but I think his voice is okay, his acting is shit though.
But who care? Why does anyone want to play Yakuza in english dub?

He sounds too much like he's just reading it for the first time vs acting it out. You can tell it's just recording lines. That's on the director though they should be coaching him more.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Hmm, sounds better than I thought. Not great but not awful either
He’s wildly inconsistent. Switching tone all over the place.
The voice wouldn’t be bad if he could just establish the character he wants to go for.

Still not touching the amazing Japanese original. People playing these games in English are really missing up on one of the greatest joys in gaming.

Don't hate the guy or his YouTube, but that's not Kiryu at all. It's like he's reading lines from his YouTube videos/script.

Kuroda is a long standing fan favorite that English VA's are at a point that surround themselves to mimic some of his characteristics in their voices.

It's not like 2 VA's can portray the same character with different distinct ranges and still sound within the character's writing, like Akio Ohtsuka and David Hayter are to Solid Snake/Big Boss.

Kuroda IS Kiryu, and pretty much the reason Darryl is loved by the community because he brought the characteristics and range of this badass Yakuza who DGAF, to life, in English.

Reactions: RNG
The voice wouldn’t be bad if he could just establish the character he wants to go for.

Still not touching the amazing Japanese original. People playing these games in English are really missing up on one of the greatest joys in gaming.
Yeah.... I just don't get this thing for English spoken... I haven't been hard liner English speaker for a minute, ever since I found Anime and JPN Ports of Games, PSX, PS2, PS3, Etc..I don't like most of the dubbed voices. They are annoying and their vocal range is so much less than the JPN counterparts, you can keenly tell the voice pool. I'll give an PERFECT Example:
Dragon Ball Super: Jirens Voice: Look on Youtube and compare the English Voice and the JPN Voice, look to where he's about to get defeated. JPN Voice was sooooo epic. When I heard English Jiren... I fucking laughed hysterically, lol. Where when I heard JPn Jiren... I felt for him when he was getting dusted.

Last edited:

Stafford

It's baffling to me that people can stand to play these games in English. Or watch anime in English. A friend of mine does and it's absolutely terrible, more power to him if he likes it though.

It's the same as playing a JRPG in English. I remember playing FF15 and then switching to English just to check it out, lmao, so freaking bad. Star Ocean The last Hope, or Infinite Undiscovery. 😂

FingerBang

Oh yeah, absolutely pointless to have the English dubbing for me. I don't mind subtitles (and also speak Japanese), but I get that some people can't stand them.

The Japanese dubbing of the games is incredible. Playing Lost Judgment now and I'm amazed at how good and believable it is

Skifi28

Well, that's what he does in his videos as well. No idea why this guy is popular, he just reads news articles. Wow, such talent.
He's popular because it's always controversial topics and drama, it's like a troll that starts flame wars and then sits back to enjoy only he makes money out of it.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
he feeds on negativity and drama, terrible youtuber.
Bollocks.
He just reports on stuff that's going on and does relatively good summaries, not his fault people never click on or have an interest in positive news.

That said, his "yooooooong out" is cringe af and his voice doesn't fit that character at all.
It's like a 180 change compared to the original voice.
Not really his fault, but IMO quite the miscast.

Sometimes, a dub will actually sound better than the original (my favourite is the German voices in Baldur's Gate 1&2 being orders of magnitude better than the original English).
Not in this case, though.

Zheph

Bollocks.
He just reports on stuff that's going on and does relatively good summaries, not his fault people never click on or have an interest in positive news.
Bollocks but you confirm in your next sentence that he does indeed

tommycronin

For the same reason why people play game like The Witcher III with English VO. They don't know the language and don't want to read subtitles all the time.
While I would agree with what you're saying you can't compare the two of them games. One is a fantasy rpg game set in a whole fantasy world of monsters and the other is set in current day Japan made by Japanese people and bleeds everything Japanese from it. But its not on us to gatekeep this stuff but for RGGS to put actual decent dubs of their stuff which this is not. I've no problem with people playing with the dub on but it really should be atleast good.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
While I would agree with what you're saying you can't compare the two of them games. One is a fantasy rpg game set in a whole fantasy world of monsters and the other is set in current day Japan made by Japanese people and bleeds everything Japanese from it. But its not on us to gatekeep this stuff but for RGGS to put actual decent dubs of their stuff which this is not. I've no problem with people playing with the dub on but it really should be atleast good.

Fantasy world based on a book by Polish author with deep Slavic folklore and references to Polish pop-culture. Script for the game was written in Polish and then adapted to other languages. Surely you should play it in Polish even if you don't understand a word, right?

Well, no. Because not everyone likes to have their eyes glued to the bottom of the screen and read subtitles at all times.

It's not that hard to understand why some prefer to play in a language they understand.

tommycronin

Fantasy world based on a book by Polish author with deep Slavic folklore and references to Polish pop-culture. Script for the game was written in Polish and then adapted to other languages. Surely you should play it in Polish even if you don't understand a word, right?

Well, no. Because not everyone likes to have their eyes glued to the bottom of the screen and read subtitles at all times.

It's not that hard to understand why some prefer to play in a language.
I'm not saying they should have to play a game with subtitles on at all it also really depends on what kind of game it is. Yakuza is the perfect game for subtitles because it doesn't impede you in any way. There's never talking while in combat or when it's distracting at all which is why I'm likely to go easier on people saying they'd enjoy the sub more. Yakuza really is the only thing I'd ever suggest to play it with the subtitles.

I tried out the Ghost Wire Tokyo game with the sub because the dub wasnt great but could barely keep up because of the amount of talking that was happening while the game was moving way too fast.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Bollocks but you confirm in your next sentence that he does indeed
You said he's a terrible youtuber. That's a bollocks statement, because the production value in his videos is actually above most others doing similar things.
You said he feeds on negativity and drama. Doing your job in reporting news is not "feeding on" anything, nor is focusing on things that will actually bring you an audience.

Is every piece of news reporting even if most of the news is negative "feeding on drama" to you?
How would news reporting have to be done in your mind to be done "correctly", because apparently the way most people do it is wrong to you.

Yes, you should, if you want the experience closest to the intention of the authors.
Translations always lose intention, intonation, emotion, etc.. "Lost in translation" is a real phenomenon.

At least if the original is good. The biggest problem here is that Polish voice overs are known for their abysmal quality.
If the Japanese VO in Yakuza was known to be crap, switching to another one would be fine as well.

That's not how watching anything with subtitles works.
"Reading hard" is such a weakass mindset (unless you actually have a reading disability), I don't even know if I should laugh or feel sad for people who shy away from it.
Just education gone horribly wrong.

Nobody demands you read a book at the speed of light.
We're talking about a bit of dialogue here.

Last edited:

Zheph

You said he's a terrible youtuber. That's a bollocks statement, because the production value in his videos is actually above most others doing similar things.
You said he feeds on negativity and drama. Doing your job in reporting news is not "feeding on" anything, nor is focusing on things that will actually bring you an audience.

Is every piece of news reporting even if most of the news is negative "feeding on drama" to you?
How would news reporting have to be done in your mind to be done "correctly", because apparently the way most people do it is wrong to you.
Production value has nothing to do in my statement but yes he has a decent intro I suppose

He picks the topics does he not? If his audience focus on negativity and drama maybe he has an hand on it
The way you phrase it you would think he is a real journalist

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
He picks the topics does he not? If his audience focus on negativity and drama maybe he has an hand on it
The way you phrase it you would think he is a real journalist
Well, given we're talking about the gaming sector, I don't think there are any "real journalists" left so that's a bit tough to compare.
Compare to what, after all, IGN? Kotaku? :pie_roffles:

I'd say people like Yong are the closest we'll get to "real journalists" here, as sad as that might be.

ssringo

Ichiban's English VA was top notch and I'm planning on going that route again for him. YongYea is...fine, but unremarkable.

"Reading hard" is such a weakass mindset (unless you actually have a reading disability), I don't even know if I should laugh or feel sad for people who shy away from it.

Reading sentences hard, muh immersion !
Also : Everything has to cater to my language skills and/or knowledge (or lack thereof)...

Fucking dubs, always catering to the lowest common denominator, just read some friggin' subs FFS, you'd think that people can actually read after finishing elementary school but apparently, it's "hard"...

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Fucking lol, thanks mate, you made me laugh. Who said anything about reading being hard? Are you projecting or what? You still need to point your eyes away from what's on the screen and read the subtitles. Even if it's a split second here and there, it all ads up. Like, why this even needs to be explained? How do you read without looking? See, this user gets it:

I tried out the Ghost Wire Tokyo game with the sub because the dub wasnt great but could barely keep up because of the amount of talking that was happening while the game was moving way too fast.

At least if the original is good. The biggest problem here is that Polish voice overs are known for their abysmal quality.
If the Japanese VO in Yakuza was known to be crap, switching to another one would be fine as well.

Polish voice overs are know for their abysmal quality? Have you played The Witcher III in Polish? I guess not, because it's world class.

Listen, I'm not telling anyone how to play. But at the same time people who are confused why someone would like to play in a language they understand are retarded, lack empathy and understanding or all of these things. You know, 'education gone horribly wrong'. I think it's Yakuza community phenomenon because I don't see it anywhere else.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
You still need to point your eyes away from what's on the screen and read the subtitles. Even if it's a split second here and there, it all ads up.
I must have missed this phenomenon in ~25 years of reading subtitles.

Small hint: There is something called peripheral vision.
You don't miss anything important while looking at subtitles for a fraction of the time of the cutscene (reading is several times faster than speaking), unless your screen is the size of a cinema and right in front of your eyes, maybe.

Polish voice overs are know for they abysmal quality? Have you played The Witcher III in Polish? I guess not, because it's world class.
I haven't, no. Because Polish voice overs are known for their abysmal quality. It's a sad meme, really, at least in Poland.
It has reached the point long ago where I'm not even trying anymore with Polish VOs.

If the Witcher 3 one is really good, that's an exception and I missed out and might give it a go next time.

I think it's Yakuza community phenomenon because I don't see it anywhere else.
Clearly, you haven't been around for very long, because the sub/dub discussion is about as old as media that has sub/dub.

tommycronin

Fucking lol, thanks mate, you made me laugh. Who said anything about reading being hard? Are you projecting or what? You still need to point your eyes away from what's on the screen and read the subtitles. Even if it's a split second here and there, it all ads up. Like, why this even needs to be explained? How do you read without looking? See, this user gets it:

Polish voice overs are know for their abysmal quality? Have you played The Witcher III in Polish? I guess not, because it's world class.

Listen, I'm not telling anyone how to play. But at the same time people who are confused why someone would like to play in a language they understand are retarded, lack empathy and understanding or all of these things. You know, 'education gone horribly wrong'. I think it's Yakuza community phenomenon because I don't see it anywhere else.
Let me get this right, you think I lack empathy and also as a bonus of that I'm retarded because I would be slightly confused as to why someone would not want to play a game with English subtitles set in current day Japan full of Japanese people all to do with the Japanese Yakuza that's also fully voiced in Japanese that doesn't have an English dub ready day 1 and all signs point towards the main character of the game being terrible?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Small hint: There is something called peripheral vision.
You don't miss anything important while looking at subtitles for a fraction of the time of the cutscene (reading is several times faster than speaking), unless your screen is the size of a cinema and right in front of your eyes, maybe.

Good luck with your peripheral vision during action sequences. Yes, cinematics are different and during cinematics it works as well as when you watch a movie because well, you’re watching a movie.

Try playing something like Spider-Man 2 with subs and vo in language you don’t understand. Good luck. Every boss fight is full of banter and constant back and forward between characters. It’s impossible to follow.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Let me get this right, you think I lack empathy and also as a bonus of that I'm retarded because I would be slightly confused as to why someone would not want to play a game with English subtitles set in current day Japan full of Japanese people all to do with the Japanese Yakuza that's also fully voiced in Japanese that doesn't have an English dub ready day 1 and all signs point towards the main character of the game being terrible?

Slightly confused is okay until someone clearly explains their reasoning but people still act like it’s the wrong thing to do and that’s not how you enjoy the game. Then we move to retarded territory.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Good luck with your peripheral vision during action sequences. Yes, cinematics are different and during cinematics it works as well as when you watch a movie because well, you’re watching a movie.

Try playing something like Spider-Man 2 with subs and vo in language you don’t understand. Good luck. Every boss fight is full of banter and constant back and forward between characters. It’s impossible to follow.
You aren't wrong that it is very hard to follow in those circumstances.
But dialogue during "player is distracted by gameplay" is very hard to follow no matter what.

I sure don't read subtitles then, either, no matter the language. It just becomes background noise while you focus on not dying.
Having lots of dialogue during those times is just trash game design.

Last edited:

tommycronin

Slightly confused is okay until someone clearly explains their reasoning but people still act like it’s the wrong thing to do and that’s not how you enjoy the game. Then we move to retarded territory.
You're much better off with the english subtitles in a game like Yakuza as I've said it's legit the only game I'd recommend it for I wouldn't say it for anything else, lots of games and anime do great jobs with dubs that almost match the original which I'm all for. I'm currently watching Monster anime dubbed and it's great. There's a time and a place to say which is better but to say someone should watch or play something dubbed every single time I don't understand at all. Wouldn't you wanna engross yourself more in the experience every now and then.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You aren't wrong that it is very hard to follow in those circumstances.
But dialogue during "player is distracted by gameplay" is very hard to follow no matter what.

I sure don't read subtitles then, either, no matter the language.
Having lots of dialogue during those times is just trash game design.

I agree it’s trash but it’s more and more common. I have Spanish friends that speak little to no English, if I'd tell them that they should play a game like Spider-Man 2, GTA V (or countless other) in English because it's set in modern day USA, they would laugh at me.

If game is heavy on story, you want to understand what's going on, so even if maybe it's not 'true to original', it's worth it just for the sake of being able to follow the plot.

I agree it’s trash but it’s more and more common. I have Spanish friends that speak little to no English, if I'd tell them that they should play a game like Spider-Man 2, GTA V (or countless other) in English because it's set in modern day USA, they would laugh at me.

If game is heavy on story, you want to understand what's going on, so even if maybe it's not 'true to original', it's worth it just for the sake of being able to follow the plot.

English is not my first language and back in the day I would still play games in English even though it had dub in my language as well. You would be surprised how little of the population actully changes languege to "understand". I can only think of lazy Russians who right out sell you gave in full Russian no matter what. No better way to learn English than by listening to it. But this YOng dork, he sounds terrible and no, you dont miss a beat from action sequences by reading subtitles. Any anime fan on this forum can prove that.

Top Bottom