• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Entertainment Weekly's pick of the 50 Most Powerful Superheroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

I was hoping they'd throw Goku on the list, just for shits and giggles. But looks like east and west will remain separate.

Given the categories they are using, and given that EW is an American magazine, it would be hard for manga characters to make the top 50.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Given the categories they are using, and given that EW is an American magazine, it would be hard for manga characters to make the top 50.

for many sure, but goku? hes more popular than most names on the list. he could have easily have made it into the top 10

caliph95

This list is pure clickbait. There is stuff like black panther being high on modern relevance, which i personally don't agree since most people don't care and even if you argue wonder woman deserves cultural impact which i'm ignorant of. how is she Number one overall that makes no sense to me, this seems like clickbait.

Since DAY FUCKING ONE..Goku ain't human, he's from another planet, he's basically Superman with more weaknesses,
Superman has more weaknesses than Goku, Goku doesn't have a "weakness" like Superman where certain colors of kryptonite or a red sun can leave him powerless or dead.

Goku has character flaws in that he draws out fights and lets his guard down if he thinks he's won but Superman has though too in that he rarely goes all out or fights with any killing intent, limiting himself.

HarryKS

People still don't understand Superman and they probably never will.

Nuances are hard to pierce through to be honest. One of the most complex fictional characters ever created.

kswiston

Let's draw some superhero media conclusions according to EW.

The shittiest MCU Avengers are Scarlet Witch and War Machine.

All of the young First Class mutants were worthless outside of Beast (Mystique probably counts as a villain).

A spot on the Justice League film, a scheduled solo film, and being propped up in other DC media doesn't stop Cyborg from sucking.

Iron Fist's show should have come earlier if he wanted a spot on the list with the rest of his fellow Defenders.

What's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

So what exactly does Modern Relevance mean? That they have a movie coming up? That list of the top 5 seems to indicate that, but you would think that would be Bankability.

But regarding Wonder Woman, as others have said, she's kind of the odd one in this list (unless you think of it from a marketing perspective) since in most things, she should be behind Batman, Superman, and Spider-man. I only have a tertiary knowledge of her, but how is she ranked so high in personality, mythology (I thought this was notorious for being a mess), or nemeses? Heck, I'd think her originality rating is somewhat dubious considering how heavy she borrows from Greek Myth, though she is pretty much the first famous super heroine.

Since when is Goku a superhero?

Well he's got super powers, a somewhat quirky civilian life, and he always lets his villains get away, so he'd fit right in with regular super heroes.

All of the young First Class mutants were worthless outside of Beast (Mystique probably counts as a villain).

A spot on the Justice League film, a scheduled solo film, and being propped up in other DC media doesn't stop Cyborg from sucking.

Iron Fist's show should have come earlier if he wanted a spot on the list with the rest of his fellow Defenders.

all of that is pretty much fact though aside from war machine and scarlet witch. i'd put her near the bottom but she aint the worst, and war machine is aiight.

Ahasverus

Magneto in front of the Joker? What a joke. You can only play the "i survived hitler I hate all humanity" for so long.

tumblr_inline_ocwyv7arxY1qb9zkg_500.gif

Where are the lies?

People still don't understand Superman and they probably never will.

Nuances are hard to pierce through to be honest. One of the most complex fictional characters ever created.
Superman doesn't have it bad compared to Wonder Woman judging by this thread and the general public.

Double weighting cultural impact put women all over that list. Not that it's a bad thing per se, but you can clearly see where their motives are.

kswiston

What are the Captain Marvel scores? She has next to no unique villains that aren't from one of the earlier Captains.

Bankability - 5.0
Character Design - 6.0
Modern Relevance - 9.3
Mythology - 6.0
Nemeses - 6.3
Originality - 6.0
Personality - 7.0
Powers - 6.7
Cultural Impact - 11.0

Bankability - 5.0
Character Design - 6.0
Modern Relevance - 9.3
Mythology - 6.0
Nemeses - 6.3
Originality - 6.0
Personality - 7.0
Powers - 6.7
Cultural Impact - 11.0

Does it go into details regarding any of this? I'm assuming it doesn't really. Danvers is also quite powerful compared to most people on the list, and I'm assuming the Powers ranking i meant to be reflective of that, so that seems a bit low.

kswiston

Does it go into details regarding any of this? I'm assuming it doesn't really. Danvers is also quite powerful compared to most people on the list, and I'm assuming the Powers ranking i meant to be reflective of that, so that seems a bit low.

No details. Every character gets a write up, but they don't go into depth on the actual ranking process.

Wolverine and Spider-man both got an 8.3 for powers, so I assume how cool/novel the powerset is gets considered in the ranking. Superman got a 9.7 in that category while Supergirl got an 8.3, and they are basically the same power-wise.

kswiston

Wolverine has more ties to Japan then he does Canada, hell was it even called Canada when he was born there?

I think he was born in Alberta in the 1880s. Alberta was part of the Northwest Territories at the time, but still included in the Canadian federation. So yes. And he spent decades in canada having sex with wolves and stuff.

Wolf sex > mighty whitey samurai cosplay.

It's sort of funny that the Canadian Government gets a pass for doing their best Josef Mengele/Auschwitz impression with the Weapon X program.

Also, as for the list, Canada has better representation than the UK, who have to make due with Blade.

Slayven

I think he was born in Alberta in the 1880s. Alberta was part of the Northwest Territories at the time, but still included in the Canadian federation. So yes. And he spent decades in canada having sex with wolves and stuff.

Wolf sex > mighty whitey samurai cosplay.

It's sort of funny that the Canadian Government gets a pass for doing their best Josef Mengele/Auschwitz impression with the Weapon X program.

Also, as for the list, Canada has better representation than the UK, who have to make due with Blade.

Mutant X he spent decades in Canada having sex with Sabertooth and Wildchild

Man, I always forget that Marvel Canada is super evil, what with Weapon X. But hey, it was just mutants, right? No one cares about mutants, even Marvel.

Slayven

Man, I always forget that Marvel Canada is super evil, what with Weapon X. But hey, it was just mutants, right? No one cares about mutants, even Marvel.

Low Key Marvel Canada is a fucked up place.

The whole country is literally cursed, if you ingest human flesh anywhere in Canada you become a Wendigo.

And lets not start pn the 4 Great Beasts that only can attack Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom