• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Estimated 2021 console sales numbers

XXL

And yet the sales estimates do absolutely nothing to change the reality of what Xbox owners have and can reliably look forward to. Xbox owners are playing Forza Horizon 5, are Halo Infinite's amazing multiplayer right now, will play its amazing Campaign in less than a month. Xbox owners can enjoy the consistently amazing and rising value of Game Pass, the increasingly impressive cloud based offerings from Xbox that adds versatility and convenience, excellent industry leading backwards compatibility support, and we have a shit ton of amazing games to look forward to that includes Elder Scrolls VI, Starfield, Redfall, Perfect Dark, Fable, Hellblade 2, Avowed, The Outer Worlds 2, Indiana Jones etc.

So while you're busy patting yourself on the back over some sales estimates, the reality is actually leaving you behind. Xbox is no longer just about consoles sold, though it's important. Xbox's strategy is across consoles, PC, smartphones and the cloud. You think these estimates account for the fact Xbox just finished having its largest launch in Steam history? Do they account for Forza Horizon 5 having almost 10 million players worldwide alreaddy so soon after its official launch? You think Microsoft cares if all 9 million of those players or all these Halo Infinite Multiplayer players are playing on Xbox Series consoles? They just want them buying and playing period.
If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

MonarchJT

Banned
the model is different although Sony will sell x4 times what Ms will. They will never ever have the user reach Ms have already today. For this reason Sony will release everything on pc
just to answer at the "usuals" who put that smile on my post.it's a matter of math .... even if you sell 200k (at the end of the gen) of console, a number that the PS5 will never reach in any case it would not be able to reach the user reach of PC + console +Cloud that has the Xbox since launch. Doing two easy calculations even for a person with an IQ below the monkey level you will realize why the.sony is now targeting the PC.

Tschumi

just to answer at the "usuals" who put that smile on my post.it's a matter of math .... even if you sell 200k (at the end of the gen) of console, a number that the PS5 will never reach in any case it would not be able to reach the user reach of PC + console +Cloud that has the Xbox since launch. Doing two easy calculations even for a person with an IQ below the monkey level you will realize why the.sony is now targeting the PC.
your original post was worded badly, that's why everyone thought u were living in dream land.

Tschumi

Saint's Row is fine. Redfall will probably be fine, too.

Lot of people seemed to have doubted Arkane with Deathloop and yet..
i am absolutely not one of the people judging these games by their covers, i'm just pointing out the double standard.

i think arkane are good at what they do, dishonored 1 and 2 are in my top 10 games of the previous decade, i think they'll do good.

i dunno in this day and age a good game means less than its politics, in some places

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Honestly their multiplayer games like Factions should be released on PS4, PS5 and PC day one.
They are watching all these profit numbers for these games out there and they want that as well. You can't have a Fortnite / Minecraft sized hit by restraining a game to a single platform.

I'm still honestly "shocked" how something like Dreams is a PS4 only release tbh. I look at that and it's begging for a PC release.

But this is Sony...they released Destruction All Stars for PS5 only. I still don't know what they were thinking. Even if the game was good, something like that at full price and released on a new piece of hardware was always going to be suicide.

This is 1000% correct! This is where Sony needs to focus day one PC releases. On multiplayer only type games. Completely agree!

zedinen

The most important holiday season since $599. House missed a golden opportunity in 2014.

pafNx8F.jpeg

Ampere made several mistakes, btw

2pfpAfb.jpeg

In case anyone cares, Tencent and NetEase announced their results

Gaming Revenue (Three months ended September 30)

Average rate

1 US dollar = 110.1 yen / 6.47 RMB

Tencent $8.37 bn

Mobile Games $6.57 bn

PC Client Games $1.80 bn

Sony $6.22 bn

Game & Network Services $5.86 bn

Music Mobile Gaming $0.36 bn

Microsoft $3.59 bn

10-Q

Nintendo $2.74 bn

Dedicated Video Game Platform $2.62 bn

Smart Devices, Playing Cards $0.12 bn

NetEase $2.5 bn

Online Game Services $2.5Bn

This is 1000% correct! This is where Sony needs to focus day one PC releases. On multiplayer only type games. Completely agree!

MP-centric, GaaS-type games (TLOU: Factions for example) will probably definitely be day-and-date between PS5 and PC. Story-driven, single-player centric games probably not for the initial release, but Day-and-Date PS5/PC for story expansion updates (the 1st of which for PC could bundle in the original game) is likely.

If the Horizon: Forbidden West Geforce leak is any indication that seems to be Sony's plan for non-MP centric 1P game releases on the two platforms.

And yet the sales estimates do absolutely nothing to change the reality of what Xbox owners have and can reliably look forward to. Xbox owners are playing Forza Horizon 5, are Halo Infinite's amazing multiplayer right now, will play its amazing Campaign in less than a month. Xbox owners can enjoy the consistently amazing and rising value of Game Pass, the increasingly impressive cloud based offerings from Xbox that adds versatility and convenience, excellent industry leading backwards compatibility support, and we have a shit ton of amazing games to look forward to that includes Elder Scrolls VI, Starfield, Redfall, Perfect Dark, Fable, Hellblade 2, Avowed, The Outer Worlds 2, Indiana Jones etc.

So while you're busy patting yourself on the back over some sales estimates, the reality is actually leaving you behind. Xbox is no longer just about consoles sold, though it's important. Xbox's strategy is across consoles, PC, smartphones and the cloud. You think these estimates account for the fact Xbox just finished having its largest launch in Steam history? Do they account for Forza Horizon 5 having almost 10 million players worldwide alreaddy so soon after its official launch? You think Microsoft cares if all 9 million of those players or all these Halo Infinite Multiplayer players are playing on Xbox Series consoles? They just want them buying and playing period.
Phil is that you?

The topic is to talk about hardware sales... literally just that. You can get that by the title alone.

Everything you said doesn't make my post any less real.

Flutta

Banned

It Hurts Belgian Football GIF by Univision Deportes

Raekwon26

the model is different although Sony will sell x4 times what Ms will. They will never ever have the user reach Ms have already today. For this reason Sony will release everything on pc

Nah, you didn't make it sound any better.

Still poorly explained.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
On one hand I think it's weird to be comparing the overall sales of Switch, from 2017, to consoles that just came out within the past twelve months. Then again, the Switch is like fucking Omar. No matter when you release your new console Omar's name ring out girl. Come for the (sales) king BAE, you best not miss.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Nah, you didn't make it sound any better.

Still poorly explained.
"There is no more deaf than those who do not want to hear"

In September 2021, Steam reached a peak of over 26.09 million concurrent users......Microsoft user reach is counted between Windows PC (Steam + Windows Store + Gamepass) + consoles (Xbox One + XSX + XSS) + Android devices + Browsers users (i.e. MacOS). Sony must necessarily sell the PS5 and cancel the ties with PS4 users after (let's say) 2 years unless it decides to extend the period where the games are cross platforms. Once the production has passed exclusively on the next gen, it will only be able to count only on the nextgen (PS5) consoles sold. How high are we now? Only 13m PS5 ? goodluck having the same user reach that you would have releasing even only (excluding everything else) and exclusively on steam. As today (i mean right now ) Ms can reach more than 140/150m users just between PC and next gen consoles (not counting Xcloud and old consoles)

The models are different and at least in this area Microsoft has a clear advantage given that in the rosiest of possibilities (given the slowness of production) the PS5 will be able to sell as much as the PS4 . Unless some of you tell me that Sony and Microsoft are trying to make money on the Hw (we know how hilarious this argument is) the model that relies on the exclusive sale of your hardware to seal users in your ecosystem has shown its limitations. Let's face it, Sony will follow Microsoft's footsteps especially after seeing the huge success its PC games are having. It is not a question of If but only of when. The more hw sale is an excellent thing and demonstrates the strength of the PlayStation brand but the result it brings is in deficit compared to the model that Microsoft is adopting today

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Phil Spencers seat might be getting rocky. :lollipop_anxious_sweat:
GP numbers stale.
Console sales during his time ~60M?
is nice how ppl don't understand what's happening in the console market and still base their opinions on old parameters that do not show the reality of the facts. In your opinion, Forza H5 has suffered the difference in consoles sold in sales? ahahahaah

Raekwon26

"There is no more deaf than those who do not want to hear"

In September 2021, Steam reached a peak of over 26.09 million concurrent users......Microsoft user reach is counted between Windows PC (Steam + Windows Store + Gamepass) + consoles (Xbox One + XSX + XSS) + Android devices + Browsers users (i.e. MacOS). Sony must necessarily sell the PS5 and cancel the ties with PS4 users after (let's say) 2 years unless it decides to extend the period where the games are cross platforms. Once the production has passed exclusively on the next gen, it will only be able to count only on the nextgen (PS5) consoles sold. How high are we now? Only 13m PS5 ? goodluck having the same user reach that you would have releasing even only (excluding everything else) and exclusively on steam. As today (i mean right now ) Ms can reach more than 140/150m users just between PC and next gen consoles (not counting Xcloud and old consoles)

The models are different and at least in this area Microsoft has a clear advantage given that in the rosiest of possibilities (given the slowness of production) the PS5 will be able to sell as much as the PS4 . Unless some of you tell me that Sony and Microsoft are trying to make money on the Hw (we know how hilarious this argument is) the model that relies on the exclusive sale of your hardware to seal users in your ecosystem has shown its limitations. Let's face it, Sony will follow Microsoft's footsteps especially after seeing the huge success its PC games are having. It is not a question of If but only of when. The more hw sale is an excellent thing and demonstrates the strength of the PlayStation brand but the result it brings is in deficit compared to the model that Microsoft is adopting today
Still poorly explained.

Having reach means nothing if people don't care about you.

Xbox can reach out to 3 billion people..................... they can't even get over 100 million people to care.

Reach is overrated.

Boss Mog

I still think the split wouldn't be anywhere close to 50/50 on the S and X if Xs had higher availability. I personally know at least two people that wanted to buy an X but bought an S instead because they're were available everywhere and even discounted.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
is nice how ppl don't understand what's happening in the console market and still base their opinions on old parameters that do not show the reality of the facts. In your opinion, Forza H5 has suffered the difference in consoles sold in sales? ahahahaah

You are not even talking about the console market though. You are still going on about "PC + console +Cloud". Once again pretending Sony and Microsoft are competing directly across all those spaces. They are not. The only market where Sony and Microsoft intersect directly is consoles.

MonarchJT

Banned
You are not even talking about the console market though. You are still going on about "PC + console +Cloud". Once again pretending Sony and Microsoft are competing directly across all those spaces. They are not. The only market where Sony and Microsoft intersect directly is consoles.
console market exist to sell the software. Console market isn't anymore what you mean at least not for Microsoft ...their games topping everyday on steam are the proof. The fact that Sony is still clinging to its closed ecosystem (which will change within a few years) does not mean that we are talking about different markets. As I said ... people are using outdated metrics

MonarchJT

Banned
Still poorly explained.

Having reach means nothing if people don't care about you.

Xbox can reach out to 3 billion people..................... they can't even get over 100 million people to care.

Reach is overrated.
what? look the chart of steam and then come back you are wrong on so multiple level at this point .

reach is overrated wut? what drug u using?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
console market exist to sell the software. Console market isn't anymore what you mean at least not for Microsoft ...their games topping everyday on steam are the proof. The fact that Sony is still clinging to its closed ecosystem (which will change within a few years) does not mean that we are talking about different markets. As I said ... people are using outdated metrics

You factually are talking about different markets. Does my Steam purchase extended into consoles? Nope. Days Gone on Steam and Days Gone on PlayStation are two separate products. On Steam, Microsoft and Sony are third party publishers. They are both selling their games on Steam to generate more revenue for their company. That has nothing to do with PlayStation vs Xbox. The console sales metric exists just as much as it always has. It is still the prime metric for market share in that space. Not liking what the numbers are isn't going to change that, sorry.

Woopah

On one hand I think it's weird to be comparing the overall sales of Switch, from 2017, to consoles that just came out within the past twelve months. Then again, the Switch is like fucking Omar. No matter when you release your new console Omar's name ring out girl. Come for the (sales) king BAE, you best not miss.
I think it's fine as long as people are aware of the difference in timelines. Afterall, Switch was being compared to PS4 and Xbox One.

You factually are talking about different markets. Does my Steam purchase extended into consoles? Nope. Days Gone on Steam and Days Gone on PlayStation are two separate products. On Steam, Microsoft and Sony are third party publishers. They are both selling their games on Steam to generate more revenue for their company. That has nothing to do with PlayStation vs Xbox. The console sales metric exists just as much as it always has. It is still the prime metric for market share in that space. Not liking what the numbers are isn't going to change that, sorry.
What happens five years down the line when Xbox has outgrown the console market? Do we only do Nintendo vs Sony comparisons then? People already don't like these comparisons because Nintendo is handily outperforming Sony in several categories.

MonarchJT

Banned
this post will away age bad as old wasted milk ...just when Sony will release everything on PC day an date you will fast Change your tune. Ms and Sony are there to sell services and Software . period. they don't fuckin care where you buy it. Certainly there are places where you earn more and others less but this is completely another matter. That many of you do not want to accept that Microsoft is no longer betting everything only on console sales is proof that you can't accept the changes (I see the same behavior in threads on physical releases)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
What happens five years down the line when Xbox has outgrown the console market? Do we only do Nintendo vs Sony comparisons then? People already don't like these comparisons because Nintendo is handily outperforming Sony in several categories.

You think Microsoft will leave the console market in five years? I certainly don't. "People" already don't like console sales threads at all simply because it doesn't favor Xbox very much. Flipping the conversation to Nintendo doesn't change that, but yeah Nintendo is beating both Microsoft and Sony in several ways.

this post will away ba as old wasted milk ...just when Sony will release everything on PC day an date you will fast Chag your tune. Ms and Sony are there to sell services and Software . period. they don't fuckin care where you buy it.

This posted is already spoiled and chunky. Why would Sony releasing "everything on PC day an date" change my tune? That still has nothing to do with the console side of the business. And yes, I guarantee Microsoft and Sony would both rather you buy their products directly from them rather than on Steam so they don't have to sacrifice 30% of their sales revenue.

Welfare

Yeap and it is complete bullshit.
And it is was not ~8M+... it was 8.3m.

PS5
Shipped (official): 13.4m
Sold (estimate): 12.8m
On shelves (estimate): 600k

Series
Shipped (Warfare estimate): 8.3m
Sold (estimate): 6.7m
On shelves (estimate): 1.6m

See? The only option here is that Warfare estimate was just made up overinflated guesses for Xbox.

Edit - Fixed the numbers.
I don't have to defend anything but I didn't "over inflate" Xbox. Just like Ampere these are estimates. Why do you assume that my estimate must be high end when Ampere could just as easily be under? Considering Series S has been readily available in most parts of the world since Q2 and US supply has been getting way better in addition to shipments that would cover October and potentially early November, I would say ~1M (+-200K) unsold units is believable for Xbox if you also want to believe Ampere's ~600K for PS5.

Basically, anything ~7M sold through and ~8M shipped by September is a good rule of thumb. Don't get pissy about a few hundred thousand units.

Last edited:
You think Microsoft will leave the console market in five years?
No, they'll outgrow it. A significant part of Xbox revenue will come from non-Xbox-console sources. It's already kinda the case with PC Gamepass, Minecraft for Switch and several hits on Steam. It will only accelerate in the future.

MonarchJT

Banned
You think Microsoft will leave the console market in five years? I certainly don't. "People" already don't like console sales threads at all simply because it doesn't favor Xbox very much. Flipping the conversation to Nintendo doesn't change that, but yeah Nintendo is beating both Microsoft and Sony in several ways.

This posted is already spoiled and chunky. Why would Sony releasing "everything on PC day an date" change my tune? That still has nothing to do with the console side of the business. And yes, I guarantee Microsoft and Sony would both rather you buy their products directly from them rather than on Steam so they don't have to sacrifice 30% of their sales revenue.
there isn't anymore a "console market only " for Microsoft......the faster you accept it the faster you will understand their moves

Banjo64

cumsessed
If TES 6 sells 20 million copies but 7 of them are on Xbox and 13 million are on Steam - is that a negative for Xbox or a plus?

MonarchJT

Banned

this ....but is hard to accept for some at least until.sony will follow ms

Topher

Gold Member
No, they'll outgrow it. A significant part of Xbox revenue will come from non-Xbox-console sources. It's already kinda the case with PC Gamepass, Minecraft for Switch and several hits on Steam. It will only accelerate in the future.

That's fine, but the competition in the console space will still be there.

there isn't anymore a "console market only " for Microsoft......the faster you accept it the faster you will understand their moves

Nothing I've posted suggested Microsoft was "console market only" at all so I have no idea what you are even responding to.

MonarchJT

Banned
Yawn... This is about consoles, everything else is irrelevant.
who saying this ? you? is like saying that in music market the only thing that we need to value is vinyl sales. I'm sorry but Ms has branched out and their videogames market is not longer tied solely to the consoles.

MonarchJT

Banned
Thread title:

Estimated 2021 console sales numbers​

and if you read again my post I'm telling you from 1 hour that Ms and Sony model are different and is stupid at this point to think that that gap leads to something worthy of interest. Ms thanks to this new model have more user reach than Sony. Forza sales pre launch are the proof ...more than 1.3m sales before even launch this excluding gamepass for comparation Demons souls sold 1.4m,.rachet over 1.1m and morales around 4.1m (in 1 year ) ...this gets hilarious if you look at the console gap and it literally explains that you are saying far-fetched things.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
and if you read again my post

I've read you try your best to deflect from a subject you clearly don't like talking about plenty. The subject is still valid whether you like it or not. But if you really don't want to talk about console sales then I'd suggest clicking the "ignore thread" button and moving on.

Top Bottom