• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU Sales January 2023 - PS5 up 202%, Xbox down 32%.

Tsaki

True story

I am guessing that was made when Xbox HW was #1 in some NPD months, right?
Still, even if that post was true in every objective measure, how can an adult create something so cringy? This is the type of stuff that kids would use to shit talk with each other in a schoolyard. What's more baffling is that Xbox leadership interact with this kind of people

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I am guessing that was made when Xbox HW was #1 in some NPD months, right?
Still, even if that post was true in every objective measure, how can an adult create something so cringy? This is the type of stuff that kids would use to shit talk with each other in a schoolyard. What's more baffling is that Xbox leadership interact with this kind of people
No, that'd be the first 6 months of 2022. This is from April 8, 2021.

So it's more likely random or "a big cheque just dropped." 😛

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Matthew Broderick GIF

Not a good look for Xbox-Acti-Blizzi.

FBeeEye

Banned
You do realize that calling these PS numbers unimpressive would make Xbox's performance empirically even worse, right?
Take off your fanboy goggles for a second and understand what I'm saying.

The only significance these numbers show is that the PS5 had a significant shortage last year and that the shortage has ended. That's the purpose of YoY numbers.

When you look at the actual numbers behind the statistic it won't look nearly as impressive as it sounds. Those are facts.

The only significance these numbers show is that the PS5 had a significant shortage last year and that the shortage has ended. That's the purpose of YoY numbers.

When you look at the actual numbers behind the statistic it won't look nearly as impressive as it sounds. Those are facts.

Maybe they will look even more impressive depending on what the demand is.

There's context here. Sony is trying to ship 6m consoles in the quarter, which would be highest (or second highest I can't remember) amount of consoles ever shipped in the quarter in question (Wii holds the record iirc). They are going to achieve this by doing these huge numbers in UK and ROTW predominantly (US has been more sated). So the numbers are/will be not just impressive, they could be record-breaking for console hardware.

There's context here. Sony is trying to ship 6m consoles in the quarter, which would be highest (or second highest I can't remember) amount of consoles ever shipped in the quarter in question (Wii holds the record iirc). They are going to achieve this by doing these huge numbers in UK and ROTW predominantly (US has been more sated). So the numbers are/will be not just impressive, they could be record-breaking for console hardware.

Of course I don't think shareholders will be disappointed in these numbers. I'm sure Sony would be happy with them as well since they are able to improve their supply now.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Where are the facts? You have said nothing factual in your comment AT ALL.

You know what facts are? Sony just shipped 7.1 million consoles in 3 months. For comparison, Xbox Series X|S is averaging roughly 8 million consoles in 12 months.

Those numbers aren't impressive?

Also, Sony is now on pace to hit 6.2 million in this non-holiday quarter, which will be a record.

Now, those are facts.

rofif

Banned
For getting that deal closed? Absolutely! Xbox will be fine. It has plenty of high-quality games on the way, and the stock situation for Series X especially will improve. Till then it doesn't exactly hurt to look weaker while your other competitors, particularly your direct console competitor, are surging in all the most relevant markets.
Damn, xbox is a really good actor.

drganon

The shit you pull out of your ass doesn't count as facts.

JTCx

Is your crying going to suddenly manipulate those percentages?

Ogbert

Coolest? That’s really debatable.

Gears of War was supposed to be an action horror game. Great co op campaign.

Its downfall is actually turning it into a mindless shooter. And you think the answer is more of that?

Gears of War needs to scale down hard, not up imo.
360 era Gears was ‘cooler’ than anything on PS. I mean that in terms of the advertising, the hype and the fact that it was a system seller. If you had a PC, the one console game you wanted (ignoring Nintendo), was Gears.

They’ve completely let it slip.

MS need a live service shooter that keeps people logging in everyday. They could do that with Gears.

They won’t, of course. But they could.

Topher

Gold Member

Oh No Facepalm GIF by Aminé

FBeeEye

Banned
Year over year numbers only compare last years numbers to this year. PS5 had shortages last year, so these numbers are a big "Duh!" and says nothing more.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Year over year numbers only compare last years numbers to this year. PS5 had shortages last year, so these numbers are a big "Duh!" and says nothing more.
I've already shared absolute numbers with you -- 7.1 million consoles sold in the last 3 months. You can stop the trolling now; everybody can see it.

PeteBull

Thats why Microsoft are betting big and are currently with their hands tied with ABK. You can't win mindshare and marketshare without being aggressive when you're behind.

But yeah thats 2.5 years, coming off a fairly poor generation prior (Xbox One). If they didn't focus so hard on aquiring publishers and IP's and tried like they did in the 360 era we could've seen some big competition from Xbox, this generation. I mean they had 10's of billions of dollars to splash out which could've gone towards explanding their own teams and third party games. Instead, they pulled their wallet out. Easier to buy off big exclusives permanently with Bethesda games and ABK titles I guess. And then hope that pay dividends in gradually peeling people away from PS when you control CoD among other strong IP's. I mean going by this year, without Bethesda.. XGS's output would be quite barren.

Its a pretty gross move imo but capitalism and all that.
Bethesda and especially activision-blizzard(lets not forget blizzard part, at least to me and many other blizzard games fans its much more important, cod is nice but i play only sp campain, and on pc so 6-8h and now not even every year since some years they decide to not put in campaign mode anymore ;p) its still melody of the future, that could potentially work for steady game output into next gen so ps6/xbox series next or w/e ms decides to name it, around 2027-2030 depending if we get midgen console upgrades(if yes they can ride current gen to 2030 if no midgen by 2024-2025 latest we can be sure gen ends by 2027).

But im talking current gen aka years 2020-2023, so far xbox exclusive games are very barren(not talking about quality, coz we all know that if some1 is into a genre/likes particular game- even measly 60-70 metacritic score game can be pretty amazing to play( im like that here too, jrpg with score below 60 on meta like this one https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/star-ocean-integrity-and-faithlessness was easily 9/10 game to me and i happily put 120h+ into it, having tons of enjoyment) and exactly opposite example- if some1 isnt into driving games even forza or gran turismo games(talking about series as a whole) will feel boring despite proven high quality and universal acclaim(i love racing games but saw many ppl disclaim that genre- "doesnt count, coz its only racing game" ).

Overall actual output of AAA or at least AA games(here amazing example without a doubt is hi-fi rush, it even doesnt feel like xbox game coz no shitty gaas, actuall high quality gameplay/tons of fun and game has a soul, shinji mikami's dev studio, nuff said, we all know talent defends itself- xbox needs more of those.

360 era Gears was ‘cooler’ than anything on PS. I mean that in terms of the advertising, the hype and the fact that it was a system seller. If you had a PC, the one console game you wanted (ignoring Nintendo), was Gears.

They’ve completely let it slip.

MS need a live service shooter that keeps people logging in everyday. They could do that with Gears.

They won’t, of course. But they could.
Halo Infinite got you covered! Oh wait...

Thirty7ven

Banned
Apparently a 2:1 situation, 15 million gap barely two years in with forecasts looking even worse for year 3 is not… impressive. Even though we had a balls to the wall media narrative and online swarms telling us Xbox Series was poised to take over.

Last edited:

H-I-M

If the PS5 "being on its way to have a record breaking year, massively increasing everywhere" doesn't say much, what about the Xbox being last behind the 6 years old switch all around the world.
What does that tell us ? Give us your expertise.

Paulxo87

Microsoft had their chance with the 360 to really become something. Things were happening. They had the momentum. Their studios started coming together and were producing great games, etc. Then came the Xbox one. They blew it for good

They will always just be nothing more than a Thorne in sonys side. Things are healthiest this way. Nobody in their right mind would trust either company(especially Ms) with a unchallenged majority

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Until your team makes or supports one. Kind of like xCloud/game streaming, or poor man's next-gen boxes with a measly 4TF in 2023+.

All shit that was railed against a gen prior when the 1X came out. Well, once was excited for VR when Phil Spencer said the 1X is VR ready. *poof*
I actually like VR and own a Quest 2. I just don't think most people really care and the lifetime sales show that pretty clearly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's trending up but not growing fast by any means. If you took the Quest out of the equation, it's a grim picture.

I was being sarcastic. Everyone knows it's a niche genre that will have a slow burn over time.

Sony admitted to that back in 2016, Valve, HTC, etc.. It's a long game.

Tiamat2san

Any non-warring reason for the 30% drop? Is that historically normal?
Where i work for the past 3 months, we received more than 100 PS5 (mostly bundles) and something like 30 series S and 5 series X….just 5.

And by the way more than 50% of the PS5 we received this month are deffective. (Disk read error)

Last edited:
I think the opposite. If your parent company's money is the only thing that's keeping you in the game even after 20 years in the industry, and not your own contributions/games/brand power, then you have bigger things to worry about.
Business is business if it makes sense to invest long term then companies invest. MS has been at it for 20 years and their best console was still 3rd place. If they keep buying studios eventually they will be a formidable force. So yea there is no 1 path to success.

Brucey

Where i work for the past 3 months, we received more than 100 PS5 (mostly bundles) and something like 30 series S and 5 series X….just 5.

And by the way more than 50% of the PS5 we received this month are deffective. (Disk read error)
What country?

Tiamat2san

Interesting about the disk drive error. Do you swap it immediately for a replacement working unit?
Since we don’t have enough in stock, no, you get a refund.
It’s a bad situation for everybody.
Someone from Sony who visit the stores said that shortage won’t be an issue before the end of March.
I hope it’s true!
And we received 4 series X today!!!
It’s a good day! 😎

Top Bottom