• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU Sales January 2023 - PS5 up 202%, Xbox down 32%.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'm reminded of PlayStation 3 were Sony didn't buy themselves out of the hole they crawled out of it with developing games.

In contrast Microsoft just gave Todd a bag of money for Starfield. Hope it works out for them.
You mean unlike that bag of money gave zenimax for deathloop abd ghost wire tokyo? Also sony was ready to give todd a bag of money before Microsoft stepped in. Yes sony giving bags of money good. Microsoft does it is bad.

SSfox

It's a bit too early for a showcase, specially if they don't have much to release this year (big games). I would wait for June/July and showcase, mainly, games coming next year to create hype.
"Early"? wtf you saying they haven't done one in ages, and they would have bunch of stuffs, FF16, Stellar Blade, Spiderman 2, Silent Hill 2, HZ2 DLC and a bunch of huge multiplate games like Tekken 8, SF6, Pragmata. To name just those. And it doesn't have to be only 2023 games they can also share updates on 2024 games and new announcements. And even after they probably still have stuffs in store

Flutta

Banned
You mean unlike that bag of money gave zenimax for deathloop abd ghost wire tokyo? Also sony was ready to give todd a bag of money before Microsoft stepped in. Yes sony giving bags of money good. Microsoft does it is bad.

Aren’t Deathloop and Ghost already released on Xbox?

Are you ignorant or are you just being disingenuous?

Moneyhatting a game for a period of time is NOT the same as out right acquiring a big ass publisher and making ALL their future games exclusive. We’re talking about Bethesda here a 3party pub which has a long long ass history of releasing games on ALL plattforms and is now owned by MS a direct competitor to Sony and anyone else they see as their rival.

This to you is the same as ”giving a bag of money” to Todd for Deathloop and Ghost…….

Ffs sometimes i feel like i’m talking to toddlers.

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
Xbox will never outsell PlayStation in Europe.
Obvisouly sypply constraints not withstanding.

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
Can you honestly say Xbox makes gaming better by existing?
Yes, no doubt.

1. Xbox live was incredibly innovative bringing console gamers a way to communicate easily.
2. free cloud saves, while Sony and Nintendo charge you.
3. fair refund policies, where Sony and Nintendo have nearly none
4. was early to fund indie games. When valve, Sony, and Nintendo were very restrictive/resistant
5. Gamepass has benefited many devs to make games that would otherwise struggle.
6. Backwards compatibility efforts, when Sony and Nintendo worry about only selling new software and new remakes.

I don't have personal skin in the game, but maybe Xbox is treated like a threat to gamers for a reason.
Threat to gamers hahahaha, ok dude. You are just mad Microsoft has money to acquire studios THAT WERE UP FOR SALE.

But no one on Playstation's side wants Nintendo to go away.
LOL, don’t even pretend this is true. Go back 7 years ago where concern posting and FUD was shooting down Nintendo.

I remember like it was yesterday, I defended the Wii U and 3ds, when Sony fans said Nintendo would die or become third party.

You can go back to old discussions where PlayStation fans openly wanted Nintendo to lose.

Last edited:

nowhat

6. Backwards compatibility efforts, when Sony and Nintendo worry about only selling new software and new remakes.
PS2 played PS1 games. PS3 "fat" played PS2 games with actual hardware - this was obviously cut down later as it was bleeding money for Sony, but you can play PS2 and PS1 games on a PS3 even if the emulation would be only on software. PS4 was the first Sony console (apart from PS1, duh) not to natively support any kinds of backwards compatibility (although there were those emulated PS1/PS2 releases on PSN). PS5 supports PS4 games, the situation with PS1/PS2 remains the same as with previous gen. As to PS3 support... the Cell is just such an odd beast, that no, emulation wouldn't work on current gen. Perhaps on PS6. Probably too late at that point though.

But to imply Microsoft came up with the idea of backwards compatibility is ignorant at best.

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
They also innovated paying for online on consoles, don't forget that bit.
Is this supposed to be a gotcha? Because ps3 and wii had crummy free online 4 years later?

Yes, you pay money for a service. It wasn’t against anyone’s will. They didn’t pull a rug, it was a subscription from the start, which had its benefits.

But to imply Microsoft came up with the idea of backwards compatibility is ignorant at best.
Never said that Lol. Just said Xbox put effort into it with no substantial monetary incentives to do so. Sony and Nintendo have turned their backwards compatibility into a lame ass subscription tier.

Last edited:

nowhat

Never said that Lola
You did, however, say
Backwards compatibility efforts, when Sony and Nintendo worry about only selling new software and new remakes
...when in fact, Sony's track record hasn't been all that shabby in that regard.

(as for Nintendo, Wii supported Gamecube at least to hardware revision X, and WiiU supported Wii games so... that's something I guess?)

jm89

Is this supposed to be a gotcha? Because ps3 and wii had crummy free online 4 years later?

Yes, you pay money for a service. It wasn’t against anyone’s will. They didn’t pull a rug, it was a subscription from the start, which has its benefits.
No gotcha it's clearly a bad precedent that was set, and you conveniently ignored that pc has great online service called steam that no one has to pay for, how does valve do that without charging pc gamers for the privilege? But little billion/trillion dollar(whatever they where worth back then) company microsoft needs the extra cash.

And sony made huge improvements to there online stores and whatever else without charging a cent during the ps3 era.

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
yes Sony and Nintendo had good backwards compatibility a generation or two back. Now they don’t, while Xbox has made an effort, that’s my point.

you conveniently ignored that pc has great online service called steam that no one has to pay for, how does valve do that without charging pc gamers for the privilege?
I said online for consoles. Steam is great, and Xbox is more like steam than Sony or Nintendo are. Because they both have free cloud saves, and similar refund policies

Also steam came a year after Xbox live, if that helps.

Last edited:

nowhat

yes Sony and Nintendo had good backwards compatibility in the last. Now they don’t, while Xbox has made an effort, that’s my point.
Uhh, I take it you don't own a PS5 (nor a PS4 to compare it to), but the PS5->PS4 BC is fantastic and works right out of the box without any patches. If the game had an unlocked framerate, or struggled to reach its framerate target on PS4, it will be pretty much flawless on PS5.

(unless we're talking about frame pacing issues with engines that never work properly anywhere - yes I'm looking at you From/Bloodborne)

Klayzer

Aren’t Deathloop and Ghost already released on Xbox?

Are you ignorant or are you just being disingenuous?

Moneyhatting a game for a period of time is NOT the same as out right acquiring a big ass publisher and making ALL their future games exclusive. We’re talking about Bethesda here a 3party pub which has a long long ass history of releasing games on ALL plattforms and is now owned by MS a direct competitor to Sony and anyone else they see as their rival.

This to you is the same as ”giving a bag of money” to Todd for Deathloop and Ghost…….

Ffs sometimes i feel like i’m talking to toddlers.
Good luck at having an honest debate with them. Straws, what ifs, and a victim card complex is all you're going to get. Oh, and a lot of a GP adverts.

PS2 played PS1 games. PS3 "fat" played PS2 games with actual hardware - this was obviously cut down later as it was bleeding money for Sony, but you can play PS2 and PS1 games on a PS3 even if the emulation would be only on software. PS4 was the first Sony console (apart from PS1, duh) not to natively support any kinds of backwards compatibility (although there were those emulated PS1/PS2 releases on PSN). PS5 supports PS4 games, the situation with PS1/PS2 remains the same as with previous gen. As to PS3 support... the Cell is just such an odd beast, that no, emulation wouldn't work on current gen. Perhaps on PS6. Probably too late at that point though.

Yeah...literally only the PS4 didn't have backwards compatibility. People talk about Playstation like these consoles never had old games available to them.

You can literally go to your PS3 and play "all" your PS One games or buy many of them at PS Store in 2023, lmao.

No Sony isn't perfect and PS Plus Premium is...odd at best, and was clearly rushed but all PS consoles but one didn't have any sort of BC.

Most of that users points are also odd.

Yes cloud is not free on Playstation...but you could also play multiplayer for free in there while Xbox was literally the first one to charge for their online services. I was playing Killzone 2 and Uncharted online without paying for anything extra. I also remember when Xbox was paying for exclusive DLC for games like GTA IV, etc...many of PlayStations bad moves from right now, Xbox actually started them. (including paid online gaming).

People are surprised Xbox after two months of no big releases did bad in a month that Xbox has generally done bad in most of the brands existence?

The only issue is that it's slightly more bad because of how December and November went, along with low X stock.

If Xbox was tied or up a significant percentage in January that would be news, since it rarely happens. Not to mention it's EU so Xbox has to work twice as hard, and the lack of momentum going into this January is 10x as bad.

Honestly, Xbox only being down 32% is pretty decent given the circumstances.

All was lost once this happened:

No coming back from

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

Also....

qnerd1gayaiyq8q4g6u5.gif

People make mistakes and it certainly can affect a product. But ultimately those people go away and its up to their replacements to learn from their mistakes.

Edit: Holy hell that took a while to fix.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
People are surprised Xbox after two months of no big releases did bad in a month that Xbox has generally done bad in most of the brands existence?

The only issue is that it's slightly more bad because of how December and November went, along with low X stock.

If Xbox was tied or up a significant percentage in January that would be news, since it rarely happens. Not to mention it's EU so Xbox has to work twice as hard, and the lack of momentum going into this January is 10x as bad.

That last line literally made me laugh out loud, kudos.

What makes it even funnier is I dont know if you're serious.

I'm just reminded of PS4 haz no gaemz meme early last gen. Xbox legit had a better launch lineup IMO, at least its debatable.

I dont remember the PS4 being down this much this early in the gen before the bigger games started coming. And that was with no BC....

even big 3rd party titles help PS as though they were exclusives. how? because the majority of the masses dont even consider xbox at all. they default to PlayStation. thats why xbox will never turn this around without sony themselves making a major mistake. 3rd party games sell way more PS consoles than they do XB. gamepass has made this problem even worse. ive had countless people tell me they need a PS5 for MW 2 over the last few months. XB isnt even in the conversation.

Last edited:
My theory is that even if Starfield is a 90 MC "must-play" game, just oozing quality, it still won't move the needle much for Xbox.

For Xbox's sake, I hope I'm wrong. But if I'm right, we can talk more about it when the time comes. No point in spreading negativity, theorizing stuff in advance.
Xbox can't win against the PS brand power. Only Nintendo has pulled that off and only once with a home console. This is why they need more acquisitions, MS needs to play to it's strengths just like Nintendo does.

No console wars, but does this console EVER have any fucking good news?

It's always "wait for next year", game cancelled, sales down 300%, 900p, etc.

They've been in this thing for 20 years now ffs.
Biggest strength they have is having enough money to not go bankrupt thanks to Sony like 3DO, Atari and Sega did. If Sega had MS money they would still be in the game and Sony would still be steamrolling them.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
even big 3rd party titles help PS as though they were exclusives. how? because the majority of the masses dont even consider xbox at all. they default to PlayStation. thats why xbox will never turn this around without sony themselves making a major mistake. 3rd party games sell way more PS consoles than they do XB. gamepass has made this problem even worse. ive had countless people tell me they need a PS5 for MW 2 over the last few months. XB isnt even in the conversation.
Xbox never really tried to market their consoles and games globally the same way that Sony and Nintendo do. This is crazy when it is not so hard to do. In some europeean countries Xbox basically do not exist. No retail space, no advertising on TV and others media. Look at Hogwarts. It is obvious that such a game would be huge in all countries that love Harry Potter, like... UK, the Xbox 2nd best market ? Yet Sony is the one that got the marketing rights for the game.
For a lot of those countries the value proposition of the Xbox and Gamepass is not enough. It is all about having the console that everybody wants to have. We do not live on credit, or not to the same extent. So the FOMO that could push us to go Xbox needs to be more about games than the "best deal in gaming" that Gamepass is. I don't understand why they refuse to invest in marketing when it has been proven that this as always been effective to help sales and brand recognition. Xbox Life is short. Play more ad was amazing. They should do more like that.

Biggest strength they have is having enough money to not go bankrupt thanks to Sony like 3DO, Atari and Sega did. If Sega had MS money they would still be in the game and Sony would still be steamrolling them.

No they wouldn't, Sega was an over spender on silly projects, they had no safety net, and MS has multiple other parts of the company bringing in profits and revenue, Sega didn't at the time they were heading fast into the ground.

Atari was in the same position.

Only 3DO would survive with MS money,

EDMIX

At this point why does Microsoft even want to close the deal? Yeah, lets spend $70 billion to sell games exclusively on a platform with shrinking sales and marketshare. Brilliant strategy.

Remember, people have known for over a year that Microsoft is buying Activision, and have known for over a year that the future games will be exclusive. And Xbox is still underperforming significantly.

Thats a great fucking point. Its like having a trial run, if you wanted to know if this move would help, its showing that it likely wouldn't.

Look at how many people who don't following gaming like us, think MS currently owns Activision. If thats not being reflected in sales by the general, casual, normal public....I don't think they should continue.

It means the majority don't give a shit, this doesn't seem to have them swayed all that much and their comments about having COD stay everywhere makes it easier to have them not feel some NEED to buy an XB or something weird like that. So...maybe this trial run is showing this move isn't tipping the scales the way they may have thought.

That money might be better spent on another publisher.

Xbox is slightly more powerful (objectively by the math) when Sony has had the hardware advantage for 4 generations in a row, it’s a big deal when they don’t.

The difference is so small, it doesn’t even matter. Both Xbox fans and Sony fans have been wrong about their consoles power. Xbox was supposed to be noticeably more powerful (it’s not). Ps5 was supposed to be far faster (it’s not).
I think you misspelled your name it should be gobbledygook.

Can only speak for Germany but the Series X was available all the time since launch.
Friend of mine called a few stores and got one on the same day, just a few weeks after launch.
Plus you could find Series X on eBay for a markup of "only" 50€ whereas a scalped PS5 went for 800 to 1000€.
Series S was always available here, never sold out anywhere and quickly marked down to 250€.
IMO Xbox Series numbers were propped up by the unavailability of the PS5, not by an increased demand for Xboxes.

Since MS hardly does any marketing here in Germany and (still) doesn't have a killer app, I assume the gap will widen now.

I agree. Anytime MS buys a studio, said studio goes on radio silence for a few years. How long does it take to get a Senua game out of the door ffs
From my EU POV I'm also just puzzled by the (lack of) marketing strategy in this region.
Xbox is clearly the Huawei to PlayStations Iphone in the EU. Europeans prefer Playstation and nobody expects Xbox to win this market.

That said, at least put up a fight. MS has a ton of money and they were gifted a 2 yr period where PS5s were unavailable or super expensive.
Did Xbox use this to time to run a shitload of ads or commercials here?
Did they do promotions in stores to explain what Gamepass is and does?

Fuck, if I was MS I would have run a simple ad like this:
"Look, a PS5 is 800€ on eBay right now but you can play next gen FIFA and CoD right now for just 299€ on Series S. Come pick one up right now, we have stock! And for just 10€ per month you can get Gamepass and get access to these games [show some of the biggest]."

But MS just sat on their hands, never saw any commercial or even an ad on the busstop or sth

Similar situation here in the U.K. It's been super easy to buy a Series X/S here, across all the major retailers like Argos, GAME, Curries, Amazon etc it's been like this since early last year. They're even selling Series X/S boxed and sealed cheaper on Facebook marketplace.

PS5 stock only started to improve here recently, and even the small price hike didn't seem to bother anyone.

Sw0pDiller

Games really do matter in the end to sell consoles and thus generate income. Sony and nintendo seem to know. Xbox isn't playing the same game though. They are moving away from hardware towards services. Still, these services need games to sell subs That's why de Activision deal MUST happen. They need the exclusivity to deal with steam and playstation cuz they cannot win head on.

Go_Ly_Dow

Imagine how much worse it would be selling if they didn't buy Zenimax and Activision.

Think many assume the Series S is the console of choice for kids, but from what I can see in my family is that it's the parents choice not the kids. My two nephews aged 11-12 have only ever played Xbox, but now desperately want a PS5 for games like God of War and Spiderman. I can guess they are not alone. They see these iconic characters plastered all over YouTube and Social Media, whilst Master Chief isn't cool anymore.

Last edited:

It's going to be the same story in February, March and probably April and May. I think February is going to be particularly brutal as there is no exclusives or marketing rights for any games on Xbox and PS has PSVR2 and Hogwarts pushing even more people away from Series S/X. Switch seems to be eating Series S sales and will continue until Switch 2.

Mr Moose

What big game(s) released on PS5 in the last 2 months? Forspoken?

It's going to be the same story in February, March and probably April and May. I think February is going to be particularly brutal as there is no exclusives or marketing rights for any games on Xbox and PS has PSVR2 and Hogwarts pushing even more people away from Series S/X. Switch seems to be eating Series S sales and will continue until Switch 2.

Switch isn't eating anything, S is up and is basically holding the XBS with the low X stock, and Switch is down.

However, your other point does seem to be the case. They don't really have anything for Feb, and March is a question mark, and April is Minecraft Legends, but that's going to be all platforms.

Outside of a surprise, we won't see a major possible change until May with Redfalls release.

What big game(s) released on PS5 in the last 2 months? Forspoken?

This thread is for janaury, are you saying PS5 didn't have any games Nov-Dec? GOW:R? Others? Sales on previous 2022 games?

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Switch isn't eating anything, S is up and is basically holding the XBS with the low X stock, and Switch is down.

However, your other point does seem to be the case. They don't really have anything for Feb, and March is a question mark, and April is Minecraft Legends, but that's going to be all platforms.

Outside of a surprise, we won't see a major possible change until May with Redfalls release.

This thread is for janaury, are you saying PS5 didn't have any games Nov-Dec? GOW:R? Others? Sales on previous 2022 games?
November isn't 2 months, it's 3.
December and January is how many months?
confused-counting.gif

Yeah.

Xbox didn't have games from late October like Call of Duty? Didn't have High on Life? Damn, shame.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Why are you pretending you don't know there are two months before January in a thread about January sales, after quoting me talking about two months of no games leading up to Jan?
Oh then I think I read your comment wrong lol my bad. I thought you said after two months of no big games, with January being one of those. I need some new glasses.

Rykan

Can you honestly say Xbox makes gaming better by existing? Even Xbox fans admit Microsoft can survive only by buying up major third party studios so as to take games away from their competition. As in they don't add anything to gaming, they take away good games.
Yes, they have, and I have no idea how anyone could argue otherwise. The original Xbox revolutionized online gaming and standardized the use of hard drives in consoles. Xbox prioritized a system that was easy to develop for. The Xbox 360 was an affordable machine compared to the only other HD console at the time, which cost 599$ in 2006. Their online store infrastructure allowed developers to easily develop smaller, downloadable games through Xbox Live Arcade.

Xbox had a way bigger influence than you give it credit for.

At this point why does Microsoft even want to close the deal? Yeah, lets spend $70 billion to sell games exclusively on a platform with shrinking sales and marketshare. Brilliant strategy.

Remember, people have known for over a year that Microsoft is buying Activision, and have known for over a year that the future games will be exclusive. And Xbox is still underperforming significantly.
The AB deal goes way, way beyond Xbox Series console. AB isn't being purchased to sell Series X or Series S consoles.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Y'all keep hyping Starfield like it's Jeus coming back, I can't.

What makes y'all sooo sure that it's going to succeed where Halo and Forza failed?
It's funny: Before Microsoft bought them, it seemed people weren't going to buy the ususl Bethesda Game Studios bs so easily. Everybody was so busy hyping up CD Projekt Red.

Disregarding all of that, Starfield looks like a dud in the making me. Fallout-in-Space art direction with the same bog standard "worldbuilding" that hinges entirely on factions representative of this philosophy or that, uninspired dialogue, with the same clunky, barely functional combat we've been getting from these kinds of RPGs for 20 years. We'll only know if it's a glitch fiesta at launch, but nothing indicates otherwise.

Last edited:
Yes, they have, and I have no idea how anyone could argue otherwise. The original Xbox revolutionized online gaming and standardized the use of hard drives in consoles. Xbox prioritized a system that was easy to develop for. The Xbox 360 was an affordable machine compared to the only other HD console at the time, which cost 599$ in 2006. Their online store infrastructure allowed developers to easily develop smaller, downloadable games through Xbox Live Arcade.

Xbox had a way bigger influence than you give it credit for.
You can toss in standard wireless controllers and achievements which everyone in the industry copied. It's nonsense to claim MS hasn't made significant contributions to the gaming industry.

Top Bottom