• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

Where have they hidden the sliders between Mercantilism and Free Trade? So far I've only been able to change the balance through random events.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Any other smart ideas for how to deal with that achievement?
4GnP5k0.jpg

Where have they hidden the sliders between Mercantilism and Free Trade? So far I've only been able to change the balance through random events.

No sliders anymore.

fanboi

Banned
1610, me Portugal.

I have so much cash after doing some "bank wars" against Mali, who has 25k... and something like 90% inflation lol, so now I bank 9k.

Continue to expand into USA and controll that trade, make so much cash so I dont know what to do with it.

I have one BIG problem though...

Russia.

They have 163k forcelimit, they have a standing army of 110k.
Sure I'm far from them, but I'm soon about to turn my head towards western europe and all the land.

Some funny stuff:

* Castille has been in a personal union since 1466 with Austria.
* France is a tiny spec (YAY)

1610, me Portugal.

I have so much cash after doing some "bank wars" against Mali, who has 25k... and something like 90% inflation lol, so now I bank 9k.

Continue to expand into USA and controll that trade, make so much cash so I dont know what to do with it.

I have one BIG problem though...

Russia.

They have 163k forcelimit, they have a standing army of 110k.
Sure I'm far from them, but I'm soon about to turn my head towards western europe and all the land.

Some funny stuff:

* Castille has been in a personal union since 1466 with Austria.
* France is a tiny spec (YAY)

why aren't you hitting up the east indies? And who control indie?

ZZMitch

Ah! Stability, I'll try that.

When do new advisors show up? Is there something I can do to get new choices?

They show up as they are "born" (aka kind of random I think). I also seem to get a new one everytime one of my current advisors dies. I made sure to change the message settings to show a popup when ever a new advisor is born so I know.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Damn, I didn't know diplo-annexing gives cores now, I noticed that you always get cores from inheriting/integrating a union now, but I haven't taken any vassals yet, definitely sounds like a great way to save admin power.
Does integrating a union member absolutely give you cores every time? I'm trying to decided if I want to integrate Aragon, which would take just over a decade, or try to inherit it, even though I have only about a 15% chance. I don't want to integrate them only to find that I have to core everything afterward, because they also own Sardinia and Sicily.
Any other smart ideas for how to deal with that achievement?
4GnP5k0.jpg

No sliders anymore.
You're obviously constrained in the number of vassals you can have by your diplomatic relations, but vassalizing the electors is still probably the best way for a non-member to become emperor, especially if you also cut Austria down to size. In my own Spain game Austria imploded and is now an OPM, and the vote is split between me and Augsburg. I'm not sure what happens when the vote is divided.

Fitz

Does integrating a union member absolutely give you cores every time?

I'm 90% sure that it does. In my current game I had Saxony in a union, and I was going to wait to inherit so that I would get cores, as iirc you don't get cores in EU3 when integrating. So I had a look at the tip for unions and it said flat out that you get cores for both inheriting and integrating, I went for it and it worked. All of their territory was in my primary culture group of German, but I don't think that matters any more.

Omikron

Make them a general and send them into battle frequently.

Hah. Yeah, might do that, just gotta wait for war weariness to go down. Just pummelled Aragon and took back all of Granada.

Also another question... the advisors I can hire are all level 2+ in my missing slots. Do they alternate regularly? As they are too expensive for my current economy.

Fitz

I think new ones only get added when old ones die, though I'm really not sure on that. I do know that the initial hire costs go down the older they are though. Also, there are some ideas that increase your advisor pool size.

Mgoblue201

I'm 90% sure that it does. In my current game I had Saxony in a union, and I was going to wait to inherit so that I would get cores, as iirc you don't get cores in EU3 when integrating. So I had a look at the tip for unions and it said flat out that you get cores for both inheriting and integrating, I went for it and it worked. All of their territory was in my primary culture group of German, but I don't think that matters any more.
I tried looking around in the hint system earlier but couldn't find anything that mentioned unions. I went back just now and got it to work. Apparently it won't bring up the hint if you click on the personal union icon on the province screen. You have to do it through the diplomacy screen.

Fitz

Yeah I didn't realise initially where I had to click either, the hint system could do with a search feature.

Oh you edited, nvm then!

ZZMitch

I think new ones only get added when old ones die, though I'm really not sure on that. I do know that the initial hire costs go down the older they are though. Also, there are some ideas that increase your advisor pool size.

I've had one or two pop up out of the blue I think.

Jhriad

I assume you are blocking the straight at Constantinople? As soon as the game starts start building galleys and nothing else. You need every damn galley you can get. Galleys work better in coastal waters than larger ships. The Ottomans will of course declare war on you shortly which involves a bit of luck of how many galleys you got built in time.

Yeah, the galleys work great if you can get enough built. I've had 4 games where they declared war on me immediately after they finished with Albania which means I'm fighting them in 1445 or 1446 and all their armies are on the Greek peninsula. At that point their navy is still too large to take reliably. Had another two games that were pretty even odds I just got some sour rolls and my navy couldn't recover fast enough. The best I've had happen was when they got into an early (1447 or 1448) war with the Timurids, Mamluks, and Candar. Worked great except they still had a stack around the size I had at the time putting down rebels so I had to whittle that guy down which sapped my manpower enough that after taking all of my cores (either through rebels or the war) Venice came in and they could slowly work me down to nothing because my army was barely reinforcing.

Then just siege there stuff without ever getting in a battle.

If that's what happened consider yourself fortunate. It's definitely doable (I've done it twice now) but I've yet to not face some infantry on my side of the Bosphorus.

ZZMitch

I just finished up the most epic war I have ever had in an EU game! It literally lasted 8 years. Myself (Novgorod) and Kazan faced off against Moscowy and a few small vassals. I lost the first few battles pretty badly, but was able to get my men to Kazans territory. Kazan could have been more helpful and I was never able to corner Moscowy troops in a good situation and couldn't rely on Kazan coming to my aid. Another issue was I kept losing warscore because for the first 5 years or so I was not able to siege the province I had a core on effectively. I was able to keep the war from getting completely out of hand by hiring a huge amount of mercenaries (had at least 12 merc regiments by wars end). I used the mercs to siege the provinces on my border that I had cores on (including the wargoal to kill the ticking warscore) while I maneuvered around the larger Moscovite force. The war seemed lost (Moscowy was threatening to break my sieges with his advancing army and Kazan had lost their capital). But then Crimea declared war on Moscowy for it's core and started invading from the south. This distracted Moscowy, Crimea successfully occupied a few provinces and Kazan and I freed Kazan's capital and began to counter-siege along my and Kazan's border. Kazan and I also managed to get a few victories aganst Moscowys s main force. Just when things were looking up Kazan White Peaced out! Fortunately, Crimea was still distracting Moscowy and I was able to complete/assault the sieges on the provinces I desired and peace out about a month before Moscowys doom stack was set to reach me.

You guys probably don't care but I was so pumped after winning this war that I had to tell someone! :p

Mgoblue201

Yeah I didn't realise initially where I had to click either, the hint system could do with a search feature.

Oh you edited, nvm then!
Well, I thought about it after I posted and couldn't actually remember if I had received cores or claims for forming the personal union with Aragon. It's easy for me to mistake one for the other. It might've just been claims, for all I know.

But I went ahead and integrated Aragon and after it was finished I did receive cores on all their territory. There appears to be almost no downside to integrating, besides the fact that it tied my diplomat up for six years. In some cases, it's even better. There's a negative modifier for inheriting a country of a formidable size but none, as far as I can tell, for integrating it. On the plus side, my monthly income more than tripled after the process was complete.

Edit: I'm not certain if buildings survive the integration process. It would be unfortunate if they didn't.

Clevinger

After some extremely good luck early game, it's officially run out in the late 1500s. The Mamluks gobbled up the Ottomans and a bunch of other states with ease. At first it was good because I was powerful enough to take over what the Ottomans had left in the west. But now the Mamluks have this gigantic empire spanning from Constantinople, midway across the top of North Africa, and all the way down to Ethiopia.

They're gonna gobble me up at any moment. But that's not all. Castille (who's one or two Aragonian provinces shy of being Spain) just declared war on my Orthodox ass. I have no money, no stability, no allies, no nothing. Fuuuck.

rip Byzantium

edit: Aaaand it's over. Castille took a big bite out of what little I had left, then the Mamluks finished the job shortly after.

I kind of want to start over as Byzantium. For revenge. Sweet, sweet, probably-not-going-to-happen revenge.

Almighty

Well I just had the worst showing in a war in my entire life. I guess I really need to look up how the combat works, because France handed me my ass. Sure on paper a coalition of England, Spain, and Portugal(and some minor members) against France sounds nice, but I didn't pull my weight and the war ended in a white peace.

It all sounded so nice on paper. Spain and Portugal would hammer France from the south and I would hit them from the north. Spain and Portugal did their end and I tried to do mine, but my armies sucked it up. I don't know what it was, but I didn't win a single battle. A dozen fights and no matter what France came out on top. It was humiliating and depressing. My mighty English army was completely annihilated by those filthy French. I have no idea where I went wrong I had a good amount of infantry. cavalry, and artillery and our tech was the same at first with France gaining one level above me towards the end. I should of at least won a few of the battles.

All i know for sure is that I am positive saying, "You fight like an Englishman." is a common insult throughout Europe now.

Timurid

I got gang raped by Austria, France, England, Portugal, and their vassals. My only ally was poor old Brittany... :lol

It sucks being Burgundy sometimes.

I'm going to try out my beloved Timurids tomorrow. :)

The last 3 savegames I've tried to load have resulted in a crash. For FUCKS SAKE. I can start a new game just fine...

Edit: Omg, when you export CK2 saves to create a mod, the save games don't get put in a new file. So it was trying to load autosaves from the mod, which causes the crash. It also wipes over my normal-game autosaves, meaning I now have lost like 40 years of progress >:############

mavs

Really, I don't get colonial conquest CB against Aztec religions? I'm bout ta fucking edit this save file.

Ailike

Well, coalitions kinda work. As Russia I have been trying to chip away at Crimea for over a hundred years, but with a coalition of Sweden, Livonia, Poland, Ottoman, Crimea and Uzbek, it's pretty safe to say the region is at a stalemate.

On another note, thestonemasons song is pretty fantastic when mobilizing forces.

Dina

80 years into my second game as Portugal. First thing I did was immediately break my alliance with England. Historically off as it is, this is hugely helpful. I then improved relations with France and Castille. Allied with Castille afterwards.

I then sold Ceuta to Granada. I wanted to keep Castille down as much as possible and a strong Aragon and Granada prevents them from gunning for the Old World.

Teched up a lot, grabbed Cape Verdi, then Brazil, then Ivory Coast, then Tortuga and then a coastal province near Congo. I just came off a very easy war with Mali, grabbing 4 more provinces. I really want to get a monopoly in the Ivory Coast. I only have to contend with Castille colonies in Africa and a tiny one in the Carribean. France started a colony in Sierra Leone, but that got thrown over by natives.

In hindsight, what's probably better is getting the entire West-African coastline before Castille can. You can also try and nab The Canaries when Castille is busy fighting Aragon to prevent them springboarding at all. Because as it is right now, Castille is grabbing more and more land in the Mauritania Tradenode, circumventing me. When I get Brazil and the Ivory Coast, however, I can ship all the trade from Brazil to the Ivory Coast, from the Ivory Coast to the Carribean, and from there to Sevilla.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
All i know for sure is that I am positive saying, "You fight like an Englishman." is a common insult throughout Europe now.

I had to laugh hard at this line, haha. The English in my game just stayed nicely on their islands, which I definitely approve of.

Perkel

Banned
True, but in 60 years, 26 years of regency council and another 10 years of a 0/0/0 ruler isnt all that hot either, even for Castile. At the end I was 1-2 points behind everyone in every technology. And its currently not getting better yet. I hope it wont make a big difference soon if other countries I am fighting against are that much better in trade and army tech.

Still it doesn't matter. Be it 200 years or 300 keeping alive or even increasing your teritory ir childs play. CFB works lile tutorial for new people in EU and then people take harder countries even 1tile ones.

My best EU3 game when i was playing small 1tile merchant republic by 100 years i had nation with 1st income and manpower to fight with Hungary and Poland at the same time

Fitz

Just got into a pseudo-Napoleonic war, 200 years early. France are even low on manpower after fighting in the east, though it was the Ottomans, not Russia.

Also I challenge anyone to find a better flag than that of Prussia.

Manik

Is it just me, or does it seem almost too easy to gain a Casus Belli on another country through the fabricate claim option?

The risk of discovery is almost negligible, the cost isn't particularly high and it only takes a single year. I can't really forsee a reason I'd ever need to hang about waiting for an event to trigger one, or to go to war without one.

Fitz

Do you even lift?

Formed Germany in like 1575.

(German flag is low res or some shit, looks awful in game)

:( After taking a fairly large Saxony into a PU I had to wait pretty much the whole 50 year minimum to start integrating without attacking anyone because my relations were so low from aggressive expansion. Also I didn't want to form Germany until I'd dealt France, who have been colonising central America like mad. In hindsight I shouldn't have worried and just kept snowballing, but as France have just found out, coalitions can be scary:

And that German flag is really disappointing!

Is it just me, or does it seem almost too easy to gain a Casus Belli on another country through the fabricate claim option?

The risk of discovery is almost negligible, the cost isn't particularly high and it only takes a single year. I can't really forsee a reason I'd ever need to hang about waiting for an event to trigger one, or to go to war without one.

They happen quickly and are easy to get, but it makes some sort of sense since they've changed the design to make claims and cores essential. Most things happen quickly without much random elements, coring, claims, culture conversions etc. I've changed some of it myself, but I'm eager to see what modders do with these systems. I actually kind of miss when cores were more meaningful than just something every province becomes once you've held it for a few years.

Bro you have got to do something about that border with Poland. Yuck.
Poznan's weird shape makes for some ugly borders.

Fitz

Lol, yeah my borders are terrible at the moment, having my country name plastered off to the side is killing me. That will be fixed soon!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So on launch (night) I chose Ming. I found it tedious within the first few years. Refresh. Byzantium. Never done them yet purely because I found the challenge beyond any fun that I could imagine - who wants to go up against the Ottomans at their peak?

Imgur album

SqblMJDh.jpg

It wasn't until Kab tells me about Ironman mode that makes me want to reset everything. But I think I'll leave it for now and do France on the next go, or try and re-attempt Germany/Scandinavia again.

That feeling when you know all is lost after the Ottomans declare war on you.

Goodbye, Genoese trading empire. At least you took the Venetians and Naples down with you.

Hari Seldon

Does anyone have a map of all the trade routes? Like it doesn't have to be high rez, just a map of what trade routes connect to what that I can strategize with while at work haha.

Also, are the "Center of trade" provinces set in stone? I notice as I am colonizing I don't see any of these in the new world, just in old world provinces.

The trade routes make this game extremely interesting now. They totally dictate all strategy. I have been playing Portugal and doing the standard Brazil-> Caribbean colonization tactic, but I'm thinking that this is kind of a waste of time.

The Caribbean is clearly the dominant trade zone to control in the new world for Portugal and Spain. Control the Caribbean and the Ivory Coast, and no matter who has South America they cannot avoid being pushed towards Sevilla. Grab the Mississipi River too, and you will control ALL new world trade outside of the NE of North America.

So I am thinking as Portugal, there is absolutely zero reason to waste time on Brazil, and definitely no reason to waste time on North America at all. I'm going to stop all colonization efforts everywhere except the Caribbean, and work on getting bases in East Africa so I can push the trade around the Horn. When I can do that I will finally be ultra rich haha.

Toma

Yiiiikes, went a bit overboard when trying to become HRE emperor as spain. Got pretty much all the major HRE powers + a few italy and france minors in a coalition against me. Trying to make friends with a few of them at least, but this doesnt bode well.

fanboi

Banned
First large European war I'm in now:

Has been turmoil latley and it was a matter of when not if when I was going to be dragged in I various different wars.

Lets hope Russia stays out of it...

While I have a very large army (which I just spent 2k gold building), majority is stuck on land that I need transportation... problem is the enemy has blocked me off with their might fleets. I have around 30 ship from the new world enroute home, don't think they will be enough. This led to another 2k spending to create a fleet of heavy warship.

My main land is totally undefended... Castille can just swoop in, have to act fast and hope Aragon keeps them busy until I and Great Britan can take the seas from them.

Dina

Here is my game around 1562. I'm pretty strong (8th nation) with a big colony in America and owning about 80% of the Caribbean, in addition to some specks in Brazil, Kongo and the Ivory Coast. France has a few colonies in America, but I have them boxed out on most of it. Going to focus on Texas and Mexico from here on out to keep them out of it.

So all is good, except that border frictions with France are out the wazoo. And they also are running around with doomstacks, having 60% more troops than number 2. Denmark, Castille and Austria can't touch them, while Muskovy, the Ottomans and the Timerids are too far away. Also, for some reason I'm pathetic when it comes to the game counting my military rank. Research into military tech is good, but me never having fought an actual European land war hurts my rank a lot.

Fitz

Does anyone have a map of all the trade routes? Like it doesn't have to be high rez, just a map of what trade routes connect to what that I can strategize with while at work haha.

Also, are the "Center of trade" provinces set in stone? I notice as I am colonizing I don't see any of these in the new world, just in old world provinces.

The trade routes make this game extremely interesting now. They totally dictate all strategy. I have been playing Portugal and doing the standard Brazil-> Caribbean colonization tactic, but I'm thinking that this is kind of a waste of time.

The Caribbean is clearly the dominant trade zone to control in the new world for Portugal and Spain. Control the Caribbean and the Ivory Coast, and no matter who has South America they cannot avoid being pushed towards Sevilla. Grab the Mississipi River too, and you will control ALL new world trade outside of the NE of North America.

So I am thinking as Portugal, there is absolutely zero reason to waste time on Brazil, and definitely no reason to waste time on North America at all. I'm going to stop all colonization efforts everywhere except the Caribbean, and work on getting bases in East Africa so I can push the trade around the Horn. When I can do that I will finally be ultra rich haha.

The thing you have to bear in mind though, is that if you are in 100% control of the Caribbean for example, and someone else controls everywhere going into the Caribbean, they could simply build up power in those zones and use a merchant to collect instead of forwarding any trade to your nodes. Although by not forwarding trade through as many nodes as possible, you do lose out on value, in this situation it would be better than getting it all gobbled up half-way down the line.

Of course it's not that simple in practice, but I don't think spreading your trade power out is a bad idea.

Timurid

I'm playing as Burgundy. I'm wondering if i should form the Netherlands or not.

If I do decide to form the Netherlands then do I lose my land in France or just the cores?

Jhriad

So... yeah. Just lost my fourth iron man game entirely because the save wasn't synced or some shit and then just disappeared entirely from the cloud saves list. Really wish I could access the technical support forums on Paradoxplaza but I can't remember my password or the email account associated with my login. No response from them via emails as well. Figures the Paradox jank would rear it's head and crap all over the fun.

Top Bottom