• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everwild in development hell?

Interfectum

Neverwild... amirite?

Stop It And You GIF

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I said it when it was revealed, and I could end up totally wrong, but this feels like a game that gets green lighted when an exec says “we need something creative, like Zelda!” Without understanding that the games need to be way more than skin deep.

Again I could be wrong, and I hope I am. I mean who wants bad games released? But this one just reeks so far of trying to check off certain boxes.

cormack12

Gold Member
Entire article is based off this with no proof. The game was never meant to be close to release when VGC covered it. Sounds like a throwaway comment with no evidence at all.

4dMbhX.jpg

BZeygx.jpg

vZ4Kdr.jpg

elliot5

He also said after that comment "I didn't realise it was almost 2 years ago since the first announcement. I will clarify that they had no game when they showed that first trailer. so perhaps they are further in now. What I have heard more recently backs up the troubles it has had, I wouldn't expect it this or maybe even next year."

Who cares, just let Rare take their time and figure it out.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Reminds of this thread
Sourced from this article.
The entire article is based on this ResetEra wishlist as a source.
And people still keep saying Obsidian is working on six projects.

Give a copy to each microsoft studio and tell them to take it in whatever direction they want.
That way we get Everwild the fill in the blank and gamers can download the versions they want to play.
Everwild the FPS, RPG, Simulator, MOBA, Point & Click, Horror, racing.
Ever Wild get it?

Kuranghi

I had no idea this trailer existed until now, I thought this one was the only one before seeing the above:

Looks way more like actual gameplay than the above (Which I still like but looks very like the Horizon 2 trailer, ie in-engine rather than in-game), makes me feel a lot better about the game tbh. Can't believe I missed that one.

Rikkori

They said it themselves - they don't even know what the game is supposed to be. Maybe MS should focus on hiring some competent game designers first of all.

MS keeps announcing games way too early because they want to combat the "xbox has no 1st party games" narrative which is actually true. I love the look of this game but they haven't shown a single frame of gameplay yet and can't explain what it is which leads me to believe it's still years away from release if it releases at all. This is indicative of the poor leadership Xbox game studios had before Spencer got the promotion and sadly the poor leadership that's continued after he was put in charge. I have zero faith in the guy being able to do what needs to be done to get these studios in shape and to make them as productive as they need to be.

This game smells like Anthem all over again: A cool tech demo that they're trying to make into a game. How in the hell can a game that's been in development for at least 3 years still be "early in development"?

The Xbox is absolutely starved of exclusive first party games and you have studios like Rare holding their dicks for multiple years with nothing to show for it. There must be a slew of trannies, gays, reindeer people and "people of color" working at Rare and creating a "woke force-field". Otherwise I don't see why MS hasn't closed them yet.

343 and Rare are the height of incompetence. Hopefully the newer studios don't get infected with this development cancer. At this pace Xbox won't have a steady catalogue of first party titles until the Series X 2025 edition.

Between this and the xbox = AIDs comments on the other thread... Gaf is becoming the complete reverse of resetEra. What a nasty community this place is becoming.

CamHostage

I said it when it was revealed, and I could end up totally wrong, but this feels like a game that gets green lighted when an exec says “we need something creative, like Zelda!” Without understanding that the games need to be way more than skin deep.

Maybe, but those kinds of projects get greenlit all the time at the start of a new console generation. The new hardware will rebalance the scales of audience share, there's new hardware to take advantage of, old franchises are looking their age as producers try to figure out how to rebuild them for another future series, and money is getting thrown around (albeit not as readily this time as in the past, one might say?) in a gambit to be part of the new cycle of relevancy. It's rightfully an exciting time, and it's a good time for developers to chase the greenlight for projects that are still swimming in the brain jelly.

Rare would have been a company enjoying this phase of the gaming lifecycle, as they've done this before and they've pushed platforms in new directions with crazy ideas while they're looking for their next hit. I don't know how well Sea of Thieves is doing, but them blueskying Everwild for a long gestation time feels like something I could understand being part of this company's creative process in the Games as Service era (with a GAS already on the market) and not some harbinger of doom...

Two problems, though. 1, we gamers see Rare as needing another hit. Sea of Thieves felt like it was a long time ago for a company that used to be prolific, and unless you're a dedicated player, it seemed to come and go already. They have had one game since they were in the kids' room making Kinect games (plus Rare Replay, an archive of old games,) and two of their franchises (Battletoads and eventually Perfect Dark) have been claimed by other studios. One Rare game every five years is not what we expect out of Rare. And 2, Microsoft showed Everwild. They showed what seemed like everything they have "in production", even though a lot of it was wishful-thinking CGI story reels. Microsoft, apparently having no games except Halo and some remasters in any kind of shape for their next-gen launch year, it put all these games out there as things to look forward to, as the games that will make Xbox Series X/S a must-have platform. Every hardware manufacturer does that, of course, but MS has yet to provide the distractions in the form of big new games that would buy those big-idea project the time they need to fully form (or to fall out of memory when the developers fail to make their dreams reality.) In the past, we were able to lose track of Milo & Kate or Eight Days or Eyedentity or Black Tusk Project other games where we were watching a real-time project pitch rather than a reveal of an actual upcoming game because we had other stuff to play. Right now, if we're going to talk about Xbox Series X's library and future (which, maybe we don't have to since GamePass is such a dominant force that you don't have to plan your game hype anymore, you'll get it free anyway whenever it's done?,) we don't have much choice but to talk about Everwild and these other projects that might possibly not have one punch of gameplay programmed yet despite not actually being off-track of development.

Last edited:

Entroyp

There is no game, smart guy. The project exists merely in a theoretical state and you fell for a load of marketing bullshit. You buy CyberPunk too?

Maybe I did. I still think that what they showed has a lot of potential. But hey, I should know better by now right?

No, I did not buy Cyberpunk.

Last edited:
Between this and the xbox = AIDs comments on the other thread... Gaf is becoming the complete reverse of resetEra. What a nasty community this place is becoming.
TBH, was ERA ever any good? Outside of some tech analysis and retro analysis threads from literally a handful of people (those individuals don't seemingly even post there anymore, haven't seen them in months and one of them was banned probably for BS reasons not following the hivemind), it's never been a place worth taking seriously.

Crappy article with a questionable source from a random on a repository, peak games journalism indeed /s.

There must be a slew of trannies, gays, reindeer people and "people of color" working at Rare and creating a "woke force-field". Otherwise I don't see why MS hasn't closed them yet.
When you have literally no factual knowledge to offer constructive criticism that doesn't devolve into stale "culture war" SJW/anti-SJW talking points, this is what your posts end up looking like.

NullZ3r0

Banned
The opposite of ResetERA is anything but nasty. That place is a commie groupthink shithole full of social authoritarians.

So you don't think like I do, but I respect your right to have different views and your right to exist. The mentally ill degenerates that post on ERA want people who don't agree with them in a gulag or worse.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
TBH, was ERA ever any good? Outside of some tech analysis and retro analysis threads from literally a handful of people (those individuals don't seemingly even post there anymore, haven't seen them in months and one of them was banned probably for BS reasons not following the hivemind), it's never been a place worth taking seriously.

Crappy article with a questionable source from a random on a repository, peak games journalism indeed /s.

When you have literally no factual knowledge to offer constructive criticism that doesn't devolve into stale "culture war" SJW/anti-SJW talking points, this is what your posts end up looking like.
This wasn't a culture war comment, rather it was a dig at the narrow-minded culture at Microsoft (and most tech companies) who tend to preach diversity but they hire a bunch of people with the same views on everything. But they're "diverse" because they're not white.

Groupthink leads to stagnation without anyone to stand-up in the crowd to call out a stupid idea.

The opposite of ResetERA is anything but nasty. That place is a commie groupthink shithole full of social authoritarians.

So you don't think like I do, but I respect your right to have different views and your right to exist. The mentally ill degenerates that post on ERA want people who don't agree with them in a gulag or worse.

What I meant by the opposite of resetEra.... Is they are too far and one side... And you are on the complete far opposite side (equally bad)

There was no need to call out workers at Rare for being Gay, women or "trannies". You don't even know what these peoples views are so you can't possibly know if they are 'woke'. Being gay doesn't mean your views are left wing or right wing.

Personally I think those comments were uncalled for and wasnt needed. Your post read at a dig for anyone for having a sexuality or whatever....I've not seen any "preaching" in their games either. Sea of theives was a popular game weather you liked it or not. It was a beautiful looking game too.

Last edited:

CeeJay

So many people in this thread are being really quick to count Everwild out wow.

Sea of thieves is a phenomenal game with very long legs, sure it had a slow start granted but it has just gone from strength to strength putting in its biggest active player numbers just in the last few months. Rare built what is imo the most well thought out, easily expandable and flexible foundation for a GAAS game there is out there right now. So many different ways to play the game, 1,2,3 or 4 players Co op, PVP, PVE, action adventure all together at the same time on the same map. How many other games can claim that? The balance that Rare managed to achieve in Sea of thieves to allow for all these different play styles to occur at the same time is really under-appreciated generally. If a developer is only as good as their last game then I am prepared to give them the benefit of doubt with Everwild and I have no doubt that they are hugely capable of repeating the success they have had with Sea of thieves.

Last edited:
I mean they did say they didn’t know what the gameplay was actually gonna be not that long ago - and if it’s been in development for years that is not a good sign. I just wouldn’t show it until they know what it is

Top Bottom