• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everwild in development hell?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
anyone actually surprise here? its under Microsoft, this is not the first time.

sendit

Last edited:
I said it when it was revealed, and I could end up totally wrong, but this feels like a game that gets green lighted when an exec says “we need something creative, like Zelda!” Without understanding that the games need to be way more than skin deep.

Again I could be wrong, and I hope I am. I mean who wants bad games released? But this one just reeks so far of trying to check off certain boxes.
Check off the box that says be like Zelda? Were it so easy.

yurinka

I wouldn't call it "development hell", I'd call it "too early announced and too impatient fans".

If last year the Rare guy said they were still figuring out the gameplay it just means they still need some years of development more, specially when it's an AAA, a new IP for and the first game of the team for a new gen. Which is normal, this kind of big games need several years of development.

It's ok and people shouldn't pressure them, better to take their time and don't crunch too much or to release a rushed half assed game. MS and Xbox needs big exclusives that are great when released.

MS announced games that were going to be released on a distant future because they only had a few important exclusives to be released soon after these confernces, that's all.

Expect Everwild for 2023 or 2024, instead of expecting it for 2021 or early 2022.

CamHostage

I mean they did say they didn’t know what the gameplay was actually gonna be not that long ago - and if it’s been in development for years that is not a good sign. I just wouldn’t show it until they know what it is
Sea of Thieves release in March of 2018, three years ago, and it has been supported as a major GAS title in the time since. So, it's not like Everwild has been a front-burner project for five years now.

It can be frustrating to think that Microsoft chose to show it so early when it's not really a tangible product yet, but that's part of the fun of a new console unveiling, all these glimpses of the future that developers are planning (hoping?) to deliver. It's teasy. but it's also exciting, and informative. We know what's on Rare's mind, we know what it thinks it can provide on a next-gen engine (and maybe/maybe not past-gen, depending on which version of Xbox.com is up on a given day...), we know they're getting back into fantasy and magic and wonder after not being in that space for a while, we know MS trusts them to make a brand new IP, we know a little bit about what the concepts they're aiming to bring to the game... We're in on the process.

If you're mad at MS for over-promising that this is a "game" to make plans for (including choosing which console to buy) to instead of a "project" to take interest in if you are a Rare fan or enjoyed the teaser, then be mad at MS. Maybe the company made a mistake showing it too early to a general audience. But Rare is just working on their work. Hopefully things are going okay.

Plus, if MS hadn't cooked up not-at-all-gameplay teasers for Everwild and Fable and Avowed and State of Decay 3 and Perfect Dark... what would they have done instead? "Hey, you know that Grounded thing we showed two or three times before? Now, here it is in 4K!! So, pre-order Xbox Project Scarlet now!"

Last edited:

Dane

Everwild likely didn't start full time production until shortly before the first trailer, SoT for what I recall was announced at just one year in full development back at E3 2015 and was released almost three years later in March 2018. Considering the nature of the game and the fact that it was released as a barebones, most of the company must have worked on for updates for a year at least, consdering that it was until almost a year later or so that the game was considered in a much better state. So yes, it was announced pretty early.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Something to be said for Nintendo's game development methods. But you don't make something that looks cool, before you come up with a game play idea, mechanics and what not. You may as well just make a Pixar movie.

Not surprised at all. The game, was never a game. Microsoft was desperate to show things and showed this.

Hezekiah

Banned
Yes we know from Gamesindustrybiz last month that Everwild, Fable and Perfect Darkbsre way off. That this game spent so long in pre-production is shocking.

-MD-

Nobody even knows what the game is, not even Rare so it's hard for me to care.

Can't even believe they're making this nonsense and not the new Perfect Dark.

Hezekiah

Banned
MS keeps announcing games way too early because they want to combat the "xbox has no 1st party games" narrative which is actually true. I love the look of this game but they haven't shown a single frame of gameplay yet and can't explain what it is which leads me to believe it's still years away from release if it releases at all. This is indicative of the poor leadership Xbox game studios had before Spencer got the promotion and sadly the poor leadership that's continued after he was put in charge. I have zero faith in the guy being able to do what needs to be done to get these studios in shape and to make them as productive as they need to be.
2023. That's why we're hearing about Microsoft making deals with third-parties, and the hard push towards backwards compatibility.

its rare. they took like 5 years on barebones sea of thieves. i get sad when i remember how great their games used to be in comparison to them today. not only do they take forever to make anything these days but when they finally release something, its disappointing.

Last edited:
its rare. they took like 5 years on barebones sea of thieves. i get sad when i remember how great their games used to be in comparison to them today.
Tbf, Sea of Thieves is in an AWESOME state right now though. At launch though, def. was barebones as hell, but it's grown into a genuinely really fun game to play with buddies. I still think Rare has a lot of talent and a ton to offer, they've just been massively underutilized for the last damn 15 years or so. They def. aren't the fucking development powerhouse they were in the 90's, but I think there output the last few years across their ports and Sea of Thieves has been pretty good. Shame though that SoT is still judged on it's launch state.

WTF did I just read? Rare killed it with SoT, it's a brilliant game with huge content sustain for a long time now. It also has a great fanbase and success since launch and today still. I'll take 10 more thanks Rare.

Gaming side cracks me up sometimes.

Man you guys have selective memory when it comes to game launches

I get it was a light launch but for a new IP and not the "normal" multiplayer experience Rare deserve leg room, look at that they create. SoT launched to success (a less content rich launch but a complete and working game nonetheless). It has gone from strength to strength.

Your post calls for studio heads at Rare to go. I see SoT as proof they should have more investment and creative licence. I'll happily take the launch and run to present day that SoT enjoys with Everwild. You seem to think that's a bad thing.

NullZ3r0

Banned
What I meant by the opposite of resetEra.... Is they are too far and one side... And you are on the complete far opposite side (equally bad)

There was no need to call out workers at Rare for being Gay, women or "trannies". You don't even know what these peoples views are so you can't possibly know if they are 'woke'. Being gay doesn't mean your views are left wing or right wing.

Personally I think those comments were uncalled for and wasnt needed. Your post read at a dig for anyone for having a sexuality or whatever....I've not seen any "preaching" in their games either. Sea of theives was a popular game weather you liked it or not. It was a beautiful looking game too.
You missed the point. My comment was about MS faux-diversity culture that leads to groupthink and an atmosphere where everyone works in an echo-chamber. There's probably no one at Rare who can say, "This is a dumb idea for a game."

I get it was a light launch but for a new IP and not the "normal" multiplayer experience Rare deserve leg room, look at that they create. SoT launched to success (a less content rich launch but a complete and working game nonetheless). It has gone from strength to strength.

Your post calls for studio heads at Rare to go. I see SoT as proof they should have more investment and creative licence. I'll happily take the launch and run to present day that SoT enjoys with Everwild. You seem to think that's a bad thing.

Yes they should go. They spent ages making a new IP only to launch it in a pathetic state requiring even more investment and boosted labour from MS to fix it

And now they're seemingly making the same mistakes yet again. Are they seriously expecting MS to save their ass everytime they fail?

Rare in its current form doesnt need more creative freedom. It needs someone to come in to help them get their act together.

Halo infinte might launch to critical acclaim. Its not going to change the fact that bonnie ross and others responsible need to go

Last edited:
Yes they should go. They spent ages making a new IP only to launch it in a pathetic state requiring even more investment and boosted labour from MS to fix it

And now they're seemingly making the same mistakes yet again. Are they seriously expecting MS to save their ass everytime they fail?

Rare in its current form doesnt need more creative freedom. It needs someone to come in so they can get their act together.

You consider SoT a failure?

sendit

They only have legs because they dedicated even more resources to fixing their flops.

That's not a good business strategy

A game having legs is not a good business strategy? Regardless on how the launch has turned out. I'm sure SoT and No Man's Sky have made the developers quite a bit of money post-launch with the support given to it. As opposed to just dropping support because the launch was a failure.

Last edited:
Tbf, Sea of Thieves is in an AWESOME state right now though. At launch though, def. was barebones as hell, but it's grown into a genuinely really fun game to play with buddies. I still think Rare has a lot of talent and a ton to offer, they've just been massively underutilized for the last damn 15 years or so. They def. aren't the fucking development powerhouse they were in the 90's, but I think there output the last few years across their ports and Sea of Thieves has been pretty good. Shame though that SoT is still judged on it's launch state.

i guess expecting the golden years rare again is asking for too much. it was a long time ago and has well passed and is also a very high bar. though they are still a very talented studio and im always eager to see their next project. i am worried though about everwild with how slow rare seem to be with development. if we dont see it at all ths year, than we wont be seeing this game release for a long time.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Wouldn’t surprise me. How many hits have they had after all these years? Sea of Thieves? And even after a long development, SOT came out with barely any content. It's hardly the powerhouse it once was.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Wait is Cyberpunk considered a bad game or something?

Calling it an average game is laughable, it's the lowest bottom of the garbage bin of gaming right now and should be always known as the worst game of last generation and this current generation. It makes Anthem a GOTY game.

You didn't read my last two sentences which addressed your obvious reaching concerns.

I read them. It doesn't address anything. It's irrelevant to the fact that banking on "legs" to justify a bad launch is a bad business strategy. Period.

You think its a good business strategy for Rare to ship Everwild in the same barebones state as Sea of Thieves and hope it'll get the same legs as with some post launch support?

Last edited:
Sea of Thieves release in March of 2018, three years ago, and it has been supported as a major GAS title in the time since. So, it's not like Everwild has been a front-burner project for five years now.

It can be frustrating to think that Microsoft chose to show it so early when it's not really a tangible product yet, but that's part of the fun of a new console unveiling, all these glimpses of the future that developers are planning (hoping?) to deliver. It's teasy. but it's also exciting, and informative. We know what's on Rare's mind, we know what it thinks it can provide on a next-gen engine (and maybe/maybe not past-gen, depending on which version of Xbox.com is up on a given day...), we know they're getting back into fantasy and magic and wonder after not being in that space for a while, we know MS trusts them to make a brand new IP, we know a little bit about what the concepts they're aiming to bring to the game... We're in on the process.

If you're mad at MS for over-promising that this is a "game" to make plans for (including choosing which console to buy) to instead of a "project" to take interest in if you are a Rare fan or enjoyed the teaser, then be mad at MS. Maybe the company made a mistake showing it too early to a general audience. But Rare is just working on their work. Hopefully things are going okay.

Plus, if MS hadn't cooked up not-at-all-gameplay teasers for Everwild and Fable and Avowed and State of Decay 3 and Perfect Dark... what would they have done instead? "Hey, you know that Grounded thing we showed two or three times before? Now, here it is in 4K!! So, pre-order Xbox Project Scarlet now!"
I don’t mind that they showed a glimpse of it - it didn’t really blow me away graphically enough to be like “whoa next gen!” But I get why they showed it - I just think they shouldn’t focus on showing it for a while until it’s like ready to be seen fully formed

Dolomite

I want this game to be great. I love Rare, and I like that MS is willing to throw money at risky ventures. At the same time my patience is wearing as thin as my confusion is growing.
Delay it, cancel it or reveal it (actually reveal something that's able to be understood this time)

WHAT
IS
THIS
GAME

Dolomite

Hopefully Microsoft doesn’t ruin Bethesda like they did Rare.
Damn.... took an opportunity to discuss the thread topic, and chose to derail with fanboyish stupidity

You showed show much promise
Awkward Episode 1 GIF by The Office

Havoc2049

SoT has been a hit for Rare and Microsoft since day one and the game has only gotten better. Rare recently announced they hit 20 million players.

From Wikipedia:
Sea of Thieves is a commercial success. The title attracted more than 1 million players two days after it released.[126] During its week of release, it was the best-selling retail game in the UK,[127] and it became the second best-selling game in the US in March 2018 behind Far Cry 5.[129] On 28 March 2018, Microsoft declared the game as the fastest-selling new IP released for the Xbox One.

How long did it take Sea of Thieves to get to an acceptable level after its release again?
The first major content drop came two months after launch and there has been a steady stream of content since then. Rare has also been hinting at a major content drop with in game hints over the last several months. It'll probably be announced at E3.

SoT has been a hit for Rare and Microsoft since day one and the game has only gotten better. Rare recently announced they hit 20 million players.

From Wikipedia:
Sea of Thieves is a commercial success. The title attracted more than 1 million players two days after it released.[126] During its week of release, it was the best-selling retail game in the UK,[127] and it became the second best-selling game in the US in March 2018 behind Far Cry 5.[129] On 28 March 2018, Microsoft declared the game as the fastest-selling new IP released for the Xbox One.

The first major content drop came two months after launch and there has been a steady stream of content since then. Rare has also been hinting at a major content drop with in game hints over the last several months. It'll probably be announced at E3.

It got 1 million players at launch thanks to being free on gamepass and numbers dropped off a cliff until they started actual content in the game

Some cosmetic updates and the tenticle of a kraken. Real major update there LMAO

I'm not saying the game isn't doing great now, but at launch, and months after, it was a piece of shit.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Entire article is based off this with no proof. The game was never meant to be close to release when VGC covered it. Sounds like a throwaway comment with no evidence at all.

4dMbhX.jpg

BZeygx.jpg

vZ4Kdr.jpg

damn what journalism

GymWolf

It got 1 million players at launch thanks to being free on gamepass and numbers dropped off a cliff until they started actual content in the game

Some cosmetic updates and the tenticle of a kraken. Real major update there LMAO

I'm not saying the game isn't doing great now, but at launch, and months after, it was a piece of shit.
Does the game still has that ultra basic melee combat?! Or they introduced new mechanics?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Ban this source.

And their source too, because its literally just a post on Resetera.
How about removing it from the internet. I just checked. First page Nintendo thread subtitle is Trans Rights are Always Human Rights | Free Palestine. Why would people want that shit in their gaming discussion? How do I know these rumors aren't just some random political statement? I mean the threads read like, let's discuss games, sex changes and genocide, or someone seeking online therapy littered with bans of people crying "WTF is this shit?"

Banjo64

cumsessed

True facts, but no one can retroactively change that. What matters is that they didn’t abandon the project, and instead fixed it and made it an extremely entertaining game. I’m glad it’s had the legs it’s had on Steam etc.

Regarding Everwild, the game was clearly shown off way to early. It’s now leading to increased scrutiny. Is 2/3 years pre-production a long time? I genuinely don’t know. If it’s been in full development for 2 years though we should be looking at maybe a 2023 release date?

I like Rare having the freedom to do what they want, they make unique games. They’ve also reportedly got 3 projects on the spin, one being lead by Gregg Mayles (who’s been ‘never say nevering’ BK on Twitter)...

Close Up Flirting GIF

Riky

$MSFT
True facts, but no one can retroactively change that. What matters is that they didn’t abandon the project, and instead fixed it and made it an extremely entertaining game. I’m glad it’s had the legs it’s had on Steam etc.

Regarding Everwild, the game was clearly shown off way to early. It’s now leading to increased scrutiny. Is 2/3 years pre-production a long time? I genuinely don’t know. If it’s been in full development for 2 years though we should be looking at maybe a 2023 release date?

I like Rare having the freedom to do what they want, they make unique games. They’ve also reportedly got 3 projects on the spin, one being lead by Gregg Mayles (who’s been ‘never say nevering’ BK on Twitter)...

Close Up Flirting GIF
Banjo Threeie needs to happen!

Redlight

Same was said of Sea of Thieves throughout it's development and showings at industry events, yet it's one of the best co-op experiences of the last generation and for a long while had a large following on Twitch. There are just a lot of people who are rooting for them to fail for whatever reason.
I wonder what reason that could be?

ZywyPL

Banned

Rare in its current form doesnt need more creative freedom. It needs someone to come in to help them get their act together.

Still, they managed to turn it around into a successful game played by millions, which ultimately matters, and were hence given a green light to yet again make something completely new from scratch. Sure, the studio is long past their prime time, but looks like they are slowly but surely being given bigger and bigger projects again. Now take Evolution studio as an opposite example, who also released DC in a barebones state, then put some really nice work into it, but at the end of the day the game never really took off, and as a result the studio ceased to exist. This happens all the time in modern gaming, games are either delayed over and over again until they're done (Sony's approach), or are being released in "just enough" state and worked on later on (EA/Ubi), but the problem/huge risk with the latter approach is that the game might not caught the second wind.

I think the whole issue comes from MS, because on one hand they want to give the studios enough time and freedom, but on the other they need to show/give something, anything, to the gamers, and as a result we're seeing all those rushed trailers, where the dev doesn't even know yet what kind of genre the game will be, or Halo that was suppose to be released at least a year too early...

Top Bottom