• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EW picks the 20 best TV scenes of the past year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulud

This list is wrong because this scene from It's Always Sunny in Philidelpha is without a doubt, indisputably the best scene on TV in the past year and it's not on there:
https://youtu.be/LLf_C4oX-A0

Gotta agree with them on Mike's monologue from Better Call Saul though. Forgot how good that was.

Yes. That is my favorite Sunny moment ever. And that is saying a lot. I laughed for at least 2-3 mins straight the first time I saw it.

My top 5:

1) Black Sails season 2 finale.
"For those of you who live to see tomorrow" and then hands in the air and assault.
MY GOD WHAT A SCENE.
2) Kingdom "Most guys run from fights.."
3) True Detective episode 3, Rust's monologue at the end.
4) Boardwalk Empire ending scene.
5) Justified ending scene and
Raylan vs Boon

maybe my #1 so far: Black Sails
assault on Charleston sequence

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2lssh4

that Roger/Peggy scene in Mad Men is up there too

edit - actually, yeah, probably the final scene of Justified. and the
Raylan/Boon showdown.
My man.

Emarv

It really isn't. It's a show full of good looking people in great looking clothes yelling monologues at each other. I don't think there's a single line in the script that doesn't end in an exclamation mark. Every character on the show is a hyper-talented ultra genius and all we see them do is the stupidest possible thing they could do in the situation. Every episode is treated like a matter of life and death but nothing happens and when it does they immediately push the reset button. Every twisted is greeted by another twist, all of which adds up to nothing. The portrayal of politics is abysmal: the whole premise of the show is that the country's most powerful Democrat bends over backwards to ensure her Republican uguu~ romancu~ boyfriendo, apparently an arch-Conservative Republican, wins the presidential election because she believes in everything he stands for. Oh, and said Republican has core senior staff who are also mostly Democrats, because why not. The score consists of a few themes that they use to hammer you over the head with repeatedly: if you didn't know the main characters were in love from great dialogue like "I may not be able to control my erections around you, but that doesn't mean I want you. We are done", then you'll be able to tell when the love theme plays. If you are the kind of person who finds the love stories in Disney films to be too subtle, Scandal is the perfect show for you. If Scandal were a comedy, it wouldn't just have a laugh track, it'd have a flashing applause sign.

Does it have a junk food appeal? Sure. But it'd be hard to imagine a show that insults your intelligence more than Scandal does. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

This is 1000% true and why my wife and I continue to love hate-watching the show. No show screams as loudly as Scandal.

Skux

Dany/Tyrion was a good scene but nowhere near the as good as the Hardhome sequence. What are they on lol

DeathyBoy

Banned
This list is wrong because this scene from It's Always Sunny in Philidelpha is without a doubt, indisputably the best scene on TV in the past year and it's not on there:
https://youtu.be/LLf_C4oX-A0

Gotta agree with them on Mike's monologue from Better Call Saul though. Forgot how good that was.

As great as that IASIP scene is, the last scene of the 'Wade Boggs' episode should be on a greatest TV scenes of all time list. One of the best pay-offs I've ever seen on TV. Charlie is a legend.

Necrovex

I'm sad Twin Peaks didn't make an appearance. The climax and conclusion of the murder case is the one scene that still sticks with me years after the fact.

Edit: Nevermind, I misread the thread title.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'm sad Twin Peaks didn't make an appearance. The climax and conclusion of the murder case is the one scene that still sticks with me years after the fact.

It didn't happen in the last year, so it's not eligible. If this was an all time list, it'd be completely different.

Taishan

Banned
My #1 (having seen most of those in the OP) is in Flash "Out of Time" when
Cisco confront Wells as the Reverse Flash and they have an excruciatingly long death-conversation.
Just fantastically acted on both their parts.

Yep
Also, the season finale scene
with his mom

Wiktor

No Banshee's Nola vs Burton? That's easily the best action scene ever made for TV. My top 5 would be:

1. Nola vs Burton - Banshee
Dying John Reese's whole sequence in the car after he realizes what's happenin
g - Person of Interest
Belamy and Clarke deciding to kill everyone in the mountain. including the children
- The 100
Knife fight and chase on the streets on New Orleans
- Banshee
The whole sequence on the top of the mountain in The Climb
- Arrow

Three moments I can remember:

Flash - Out of Time - Flash runs faster than ever to stop a tsunami and rips a hole in time "Oh, boy"
The Last Man on Earth - The first sex scene between Phil and his wife. So fucking funny.
Better Call Saul - Saul takes a phone from inside a garbage bin. Just completely epitomized his character.

Gnome

It's a shame not many people seem to watch Black Sails, it's such a good show and Season 2 was amazing.

IronRinn

These lists are totally worthless, but Better Call Saul should probably be all of the top five.

Yeah, I don't really watch enough TV to often agree with these lists, I guess. I would have put Mike's speech from "Five-O" way higher and the final scene from Justified on there.

Also, nothing from SOA should be on the top 20, let alone top 10.

Kinyou

It's probably just outside their choice of time frame, or else you'd probably see Fargo on the list as well.
You're right. The headline says "past year" but reading the article they apparently only consider this years emmy contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom