• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Insomniac dev throws his bosses under the bus over Rivet's design being too feminine.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ratchet's Game Director and Art Director wanted Rivet to look feminine. This guy and two others did not. Sounds like any other workplace disagreement but the fact that he publicly throws his bosses under the bus just rubs me the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with what they did. They are the directors. It's THEIR game, but this guy is making it sound like they were sexist and blatantly uses the Blizzard Activision sexual harassments lawsuits to make a point that there are other types of sexual discrimination taking place in the industry that we dont know about. As if making a female character feminine will somehow lead to hostile workplace environments and sexual harassments of women.

Something for my fellow men in gamedev, especially those just now entering the industry:

There are a lot of things you may run into that aren't directly harmful to people in the same way as sexual harassment, but they still contribute to hostile environments and harm.
When I was on the latest Ratchet and Clank game, there was an incredibly heated discussion that happened between the game director, art director, the lead writer, the lead character TD, and myself.

It was about Rivet, the female lead.
The discussion — or argument, really — was basically about whether we should make Rivet look more stereotypically feminine looking. That is, should she have wider hips, visible breasts (or bumps in her suit), and other physical traits we normally associate with cartoony women.
The argument basically broke down like this:

The game director and art director wanted her to have a visibly, fairly stereotypically feminine look.

The lead writer, the lead character TD, and I wanted to keep her as-is.
We believed that:

1. It went against the message of the game, which is that anyone can be a hero regardless of how they look
2. You don't need to be stereotypically feminine to be a woman
3. RIVET IS A FUCKING ALIEN SPACE FOX, JUST LIKE RATCHET
The argument had been going on for about half an hour before I finally pulled one of the framed Ratchet and Clank posters down from the wall, put it in front of both leads, and told them to look at the damn thing and tell me how much Ratchet looked like a human man.
The argument largely petered out after that point, with all parties leaving incredibly frustrated, and myself leaving the company a few weeks later.
So.

Fellow men in gamedev.

This is an example of one of the VERY SMALL THINGS that build up over time to make life miserable for women and marginalized people in our industry.

Something as simple as putting titties on a space rat can harm people.

Pretty shameful stuff. This is why devs shouldnt even worry about female characters imo. You will never please these idiots.

That last quote is something. No, putting tits on rivet harms no one. If you are taking offense to it, you have other issues that you need to get sorted out.

kretos

Banned
jeremy-clarkson-oh-no-anyway-top-gear.jpg

Bryank75

Banned
Rivet was incredibly endearing and the game was great fun........ what would have resulted from this guys politics is a more boring character design that people simply wouldn't have cared about as much.
In fact people would instantly see through that decision and it would turn them right off the game.

His second paragraph is total crap... I have not seen one negative result from Rivet being designed the way she is. In fact it's been overwhelmingly positive and a mindset like the guy above stigmatizes and shames girls with feminine figures....... will he be only happy when girls are having operations to look less curvy to fit his ideology?

He is either an extreme attention seeker or a moron.

SlimySnake

but I agree with him - it’s a fucking space fox, why does she has to have tits?
They didnt end up giving her tits. Even though everyone who disagreed with the directors is no longer with the company. This is her final design.

E0kLPFEXoAI2mis.jpg

She's still a bit curvy but doesnt have an ass of a colombian hooker or tits of a greek goddess. If what he's saying is true and the directors were so fucking sexist and hostile then this would not have been the final design. He implied that they not only overruled those poor women who dissented, but also were responsible for those people leaving the company. Why would they then turn around and go with this design?

This guy is just being a drama queen. He has taken one lousy meeting where people had creative differences and aired out his grievances while accusing directors of fostering a hostile workplace environment over sexism.

Barakov

Ratchet's Game Director and Art Director wanted Rivet to look feminine. This guy and two others did not. Sounds like any other workplace disagreement but the fact that he publicly throws his bosses under the bus just rubs me the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with what they did. They are the directors. It's THEIR game, but this guy is making it sound like they were sexist and blatantly uses the Blizzard Activision sexual harassments lawsuits to make a point that there are other types of sexual discrimination taking place in the industry that we dont know about. As if making a female character feminine will somehow lead to hostile workplace environments and sexual harassments of women.

Pretty shameful stuff. This is why devs shouldnt even worry about female characters imo. You will never please these idiots.

That last quote is something. No, putting tits on rivet harms no one. If you are taking offense to it, you have other issues that you need to get sorted out.

Insomniac is very much in a better spot with him gone. A female character looking feminine? That's only controversial in this day and age.

He's acting like you she's running around half-naked with furry titties bouncing all over the place. Honestly, people like this need to be gatekept.

Way to throw your fellow developers under the bus. This is nothing more than typical office politics. Nothing about this needed to be shared with the public. I hope nothing comes to the guys that got pushed into the volcano by this clown. Comes off as petty and owes them an apology.

I'll tell you what too, his virtue signaling ain't gonna take him far if he keeps blabbing about internal squabbles the public has no business knowing about. If I worked at a game studio, I sure as hell wouldn't want someone like that working with me. He may be arguing for the right cause, but gassing out minor issues like this can ruin people lives.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

That's something ... to announce to the world you're kind of an idiot while trying to look like a hero in shining armor. Making a female character have feminine traits makes "life miserable for women"?

I can't imagine working with people like that personally, and I really wonder where this trend is heading.

SlimySnake

Rivet was incredibly endearing and the game was great fun........ what would have resulted from this guys politics is a more boring character design that people simply wouldn't have cared about as much.
In fact people would instantly see through that decision and it would turn them right off the game.
As much as I liked Rivet, I cant help but think that politics kept the story from being a bit more interesting. There was a pretty surprising lack of chemistry between Ratchet and Rivet. They were kept apart for pretty much the entire game for some bizarre reason. It's almost like they didnt even want any kind of sexual tension building between the two of them despite the two literally being the only remaining people of their species.

What's bizarre is that Disney cartoons have had romance since forever. Cindrella, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Lion king, Aladdin, etc. If Disney didnt shy from romance in the fucking 50s then why are video game developers creating asexual characters in 2021? The story felt very stale and I think a bit part of that is because these characters werent allowed to interact with each other.

Top Bottom