• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable New Trailer Revealed | Xbox Showcase 2023

The protagonist is ugly, but loveable! I like her!

On first reveal, I thought to myself "this looks like utter shit!", visually. I just expected higher levels of detail for our current gen. The animation was actually great though - the movement was fluid and believable, all of it. The humor was spot on too. The protagonist has personality, I'll tell you that. Is she ugly? She wouldn't be the first girl I approach in a tavern, but I might go home with her, with all that charm and wit she got.

But, do all protagonists have to be drop dead gorgeous? This girl looks like a real girl, in the real world. The average girl, if you will. Ugly, but she looks better when she smiles...plus she got a bit of a body on her too. And she's probably a cuss bud.

Initially, I hated this showing. I don't anymore. I appreciate and like it for what it is. And there are bits about it that I thoroughly love. I'm excited for Fable.

Ozriel

M$FT
As of two weeks ago or so, they said they are looking for a senior gameplay designer for the game. Nothing inaccurate about what I said. You are just choosing to read that far into what I said, you are too emotionally invested. Stop getting in your feelings.

Yes, you can hire into an active product or replace natural attrition.
They’ve been building their in-house team since 2018 and have Eidos to draw on for additional dev needs. You insinuating they’ve never had a senior gameplay designer on the project is quite amusing.

The ‘feelings’ comment seems to be an obvious Freudian Slip.

Helghan

On first reveal, I thought to myself "this looks like utter shit!", visually. I just expected higher levels of detail for our current gen. The animation was actually great though - the movement was fluid and believable, all of it. The humor was spot on too. The protagonist has personality, I'll tell you that. Is she ugly? She wouldn't be the first girl I approach in a tavern, but I might go home with her, with all that charm and wit she got.

But, do all protagonists have to be drop dead gorgeous? This girl looks like a real girl, in the real world. The average girl, if you will. Ugly, but she looks better when she smiles...plus she got a bit of a body on her too. And she's probably a cuss bud.

Initially, I hated this showing. I don't anymore. I appreciate and like it for what it is. And there are bits about it that I thoroughly love. I'm excited for Fable.
But it's only the protagonist of this trailer. Not of the game. Fable has character creation.

DosGamer

I am probably the minority, but I have never had such a high then such a low in a game trailer/ announcement before. At the begining I could see the art direction and the bright colors with the british accents. Instantly I was like hell yes!!!!... I have been waiting for this game to come back... and then ... the implementation with present day.... it just turned me completely off. I have no idea of the direction its going, but it came off looking like a expansion of that Bug game that is on the xbox. Just all over the place in my opinion... please proove me wrong!

Last edited:

Shiny Pepe

E7nFhYf.jpg

FabLe

giphy.gif

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Again this is just fake wokeness MS is peddling. I say fake because it's all for games with character creation.

Neo_game

Some are still butthurt about Spidey 2 downgrade they are latching onto other things to deflect how amazing this looks. Love to see it. I have faith when Forza Horizon 5 may still have the best graphics ever.

Spiderman 2 trailer was also in engine and we all know how that ended up when proper gameply was shown. This game is 2yrs away from release and they have barely showed anything.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes, you can hire into an active product or replace natural attrition.
They’ve been building their in-house team since 2018 and have Eidos to draw on for additional dev needs. You insinuating they’ve never had a senior gameplay designer on the project is quite amusing.

The ‘feelings’ comment seems to be an obvious Freudian Slip.
Not at all. I can assure you there was no sexual innuendo. /wink

Mossybrew

I love Ayoade so it was a nice surprise seeing him in this trailer. Have fond memories of the Fable games so I hope this measures up in the end.

Gorgon

This gentleman gets it.

DaGwaphics

I feel like her ugliness is sort of the point here… She’s some dirty giant fighting hobo. I think it’ll fit in with the humour

I think the look of the character perfectly fit the setting they were going for, I assume there will be a boy character option also and we just haven't seen that yet.

At least the OG games let you choose to start as male or female.

I like what they've done as far as "shrinking" the fable characters down and bringing in the giants that were mentioned in the lore of the earlier games. That could give the game a completely new dimension.

The game world looks like what I would expect from Playground. A very lush world like they have previously created in FH.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

That wasn't the boy character option?

No I think that was the "just one of the guys" girl option. That character that is proud she can drink the guys under the table and probably the one that was never the most popular or prettiest girl, etc. At least that seemed to be the vibe they were going for. It would fit the humor of this franchise.

Shh

No I think that was the "just one of the guys" girl option. That character that is proud she can drink the guys under the table and probably the one that was never the most popular or prettiest girl, etc. At least that seemed to be the vibe they were going for. It would fit the humor of this franchise.
I did get strong Fiona from Shrek vibes.

DaGwaphics

I did get strong Fiona from Shrek vibes.

I would expect a similar character type for the boy option (if there is one). Probably someone a lot closer to Frank Galleger than James Bond, a hero but a bit of a loser at the same time. LOL

Krathoon

She is a rough and tumble woman. The sort that would be an adventurer.

I think a character that looks like Julie Newmar would also work.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

Seeing Richard Ayoade play what seems like a big role in the game, I hope we see more eclectic comedians. For some reason I always though a large chunk of the Flight of the Concords cast would fit perfectly in the Fable world.

clarky

Gold Member
Seeing Richard Ayoade play what seems like a big role in the game, I hope we see more eclectic comedians. For some reason I always though a large chunk of the Flight of the Concords cast would fit perfectly in the Fable world.
We need a John Cleese cameo at the very least. Even if its just a head and torso shouting "Non Shall Pass!"

I love Ayoade so it was a nice surprise seeing him in this trailer. Have fond memories of the Fable games so I hope this measures up in the end.
The problem with Ayoade is that he is Moss in everything he is in. He’s the same in Travel Man and he’s the same in The Mandalorian.

Top Bottom