• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable New Trailer Revealed | Xbox Showcase 2023

There are clearly sections of that footage which won't be reatime so my guess is in engine for those sections. Also unlikely with a game that is probably 2-3 years out to be anywhere near polished graphically (especially frame rate)

This is as in-game as the Uncharted 4 reveal in my opinion (again, in-engine)

(I'd like to be proven wrong of course)
You are wrong. The devs have said it is in game, and they would know.
Not sure why people want to argue this point. It's not like Playground arnt known as amazing devs, and the Forzatech engine doesn't produce amazing looking games.

Rockondevil

What if they made an ugly character as a talking point? Because it seems to be working.

I trust Playground to make a good looking game. I just hope it has the same fun gameplay and humour the others had.

826104e4ca2627f3d96fe10775d03a85abf71b42c0d59952b436e1553ad4ad8b-1557102203.jpg

The GOAT
She's definitely the Gwendoline Of All Time.

Sacred

I am probably the minority, but I have never had such a high then such a low in a game trailer/ announcement before. At the begining I could see the art direction and the bright colors with the british accents. Instantly I was like hell yes!!!!... I have been waiting for this game to come back... and then ... the implementation with present day.... it just turned me completely off. I have no idea of the direction its going, but it came off looking like a expansion of that Bug game that is on the xbox. Just all over the place in my opinion... please proove me wrong!
If you didn't get the jack and bean stalk reference then I can't help you. This won't be the whole game, just one of the different worlds to explore.

DaGwaphics

You geniuses realize you make your own custom character in Fable, this is just a place-holder..

Do you? In the first couple I thought you just chose a girl or boy and then you could customize little aspects along the way and your play style kind of did the rest (depending on if you were good or evil). Maybe I'm not remembering that right. I don't remember a typical character creation step in these.

Shh

Do you? In the first couple I thought you just chose a girl or boy and then you could customize little aspects along the way and your play style kind of did the rest (depending on if you were good or evil). Maybe I'm not remembering that right. I don't remember a typical character creation step in these.
Yeah. From what I remember, you were stuck with the default appearance of the male or female. But you could change clothes and things ... and their physical appearance would only change depending on if you chose a dark or light path. The light path they'd get more glowy and whatnot. And the dark path was like a Sith Lord ... just uglier and uglier the more evil things you did.

DaGwaphics

Yeah. From what I remember, you were stuck with the default appearance of the male or female. But you could change clothes and things ... and their physical appearance would only change depending on if you chose a dark or light path. The light path they'd get more glowy and whatnot. And the dark path was like a Sith Lord ... just uglier and uglier the more evil things you did.

That's how I remember it too. I don't think I ever played the 3rd entry though, maybe they changed it up there. 🤷‍♂️

Banjo64

cumsessed
Thanks for posting that mate. A couple of people insinuated that I’d not played the previous games because I didn’t know you created your own character. I just thought I had picked the standard template, but what you are saying sounds correct now.

midnightAI

You are wrong. The devs have said it is in game, and they would know.
Not sure why people want to argue this point. It's not like Playground arnt known as amazing devs, and the Forzatech engine doesn't produce amazing looking games.
Read the post I made after this one, Something went screwy with YouTube and I only saw the beginning bit (it's cut scenes, not playable, eg when she's walking through the village).

Dunnas

More "captured on" nonsense. Yah Avatar 2009 was "Captured On" my $50 dvd player. Eyeroll.
Playground Games aren't going to risk hurting their reputation by lying about it. They have a stellar record and usually only even reveal the games within a few months of launch as they have no intention of showing things that they don't believe are ready. Phil and/or Matt Booty have mentioned that there is a lot of stuff they've seen in the game that they want to show, but Playground said no, not yet. If it was some other developers I would be doubtful, but since it is PG and they have also doubled down on it by saying that not only is it in game, but also running on Series X, I see no reason to doubt them.

CGNoire

Playground Games aren't going to risk hurting their reputation by lying about it. They have a stellar record and usually only even reveal the games within a few months of launch as they have no intention of showing things that they don't believe are ready. Phil and/or Matt Booty have mentioned that there is a lot of stuff they've seen in the game that they want to show, but Playground said no, not yet. If it was some other developers I would be doubtful, but since it is PG and they have also doubled down on it by saying that not only is it in game, but also running on Series X, I see no reason to doubt them.
Maybe, maybe not.

The phrase "captured on" is still nonsense and he choose his words carefully. He knows exactly what he is doing. This isnt new.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I don't care about this character at all, since there will be a character creation tool. I'm just laughing at the people always wanting "beautiful" women in gaming... It's pretty sad.
Why? Why would you want to play as a lump? I'd say the same thing if it were any ugly dude. Nobody wants an ugly mc. Games are escapism. I don't want to play as a man or woman that looks like a walmart employee. It's been the same thing in movies since the beginning. How many leading men and woman are fugly?

Helghan

Why? Why would you want to play as a lump? I'd say the same thing if it were any ugly dude. Nobody wants an ugly mc. Games are escapism. I don't want to play as a man or woman that looks like a walmart employee. It's been the same thing in movies since the beginning. How many leading men and woman are fugly?
Again, it has character creation... So not even sure why you care that in the trailer they decided to go for someone very English. On top of that, there are more than enough men and woman in movies that aren't Brad Pitt.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Again, it has character creation... So not even sure why you care that in the trailer they decided to go for someone very English. On top of that, there are more than enough men and woman in movies that aren't Brad Pitt.
Sure, but all the big money actors are traditionally attractive men and women. Nice dig at the British there. I maintain that the overwhelming vast majority of humans on this planet aren't looking to their escapist entertainment for ugly people. They made this character fugly on purpose to get people talking. Which they did so mission accomplished.

Last edited:

Helghan

Sure, but all the big money actors are traditionally attractive men and women. Nice dig at the British there. I maintain that the overwhelming vast majority of humans on this planet aren't looking to their escapist entertainment for ugly people.
I can understand that. I just don't see the relevance compared to this game with a character creation tool. If the biggest complaint of people is that the person in the trailer is not attractive then the trailer must be pretty good. Also according to them this hero was ugly, because I felt she was very butch-hero-like, just like Brienne of Tarth. It fits the bill for this scenario, and this game. This isn't Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball after all.

You are now simping for a *fictional* 4/10 girl
She got a body though. And she looks a lot nicer when she smiles, even with her British teeth. 😂

Face is a 3. Face while smiling is a 5. Body is a solid 7. Personality; easy 8. Overall, she gets 7.5

Ergo, she's probably hotter than most of you guy's wives/girlfriends. 🤣

Honey Bunny

I don't care about this character at all, since there will be a character creation tool. I'm just laughing at the people always wanting "beautiful" women in gaming... It's pretty sad.
I don't *always* want beautiful women. I *often* want beautiful women. It's called fantasy after all.

Guys don't fantasize about being a weak loser who can't complete a single quest, and they don't fantasize about loving ugly women. For some reason though, western devs daren't scared of power fantasies, just sexual ones.

Last edited:
I don't *always* want beautiful women. I *often* want beautiful women. It's called fantasy after all.

Guys don't fantasize about being a weak loser who can't complete a single quest, and they don't fantasize about loving ugly women. For some reason though, western devs daren't scared of power fantasies, just sexual ones.
Ummm...what?

It's a video game. Despite the jokes some of us make about banging this character, we know it's a game and that's honestly why we're here. When it comes down to it, we care about the story, combat, writing, general gameplay mechanics, how it controls, etc. And with that said, she really doesn't need to be a 10 in the face, at all. It really doesn't matter, nor should it.

Luckily we'll most likely be able to create our own protagonists.

Honey Bunny

Ummm...what?

It's a video game. Despite the jokes some of us make about banging this character, we know it's a game and that's honestly why we're here. When it comes down to it, we care about the story, combat, writing, general gameplay mechanics, how it controls, etc. And with that said, she really doesn't need to be a 10 in the face, at all. It really doesn't matter, nor should it.

Luckily we'll most likely be able to create our own protagonists.
How characters look in a game 'doesn't or shouldn't matter?' That's odd, and completely unattainable given human nature. I'm sure their appearance matters to you in ways you just haven't examined.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Does Fable feature character creation? Because if I have to play as ...that, I'll give this game a pass.
Old leak says yes.
Unreal Engine is a lie though. But I think having a character creator would be given. Fable II/III in 360 allowed you to choose the gender of the protagonist. The cancelled Fable Legends allowed you to choose heroes. Your character could get fatter or thinner based on your actions (along with other character traits) since the first Fable. But there definitely will be some sort of character customization.

Last edited:
Top Bottom