• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable New Trailer Revealed | Xbox Showcase 2023

L*][*N*K

Banned
They just recently tweeted that they were looking for a senior gameplay designer. So yeah, explains the lack of gameplay depth and where they are at.

V0Bty9h.jpg

They just recently tweeted that they were looking for a senior gameplay designer. So yeah, explains the lack of gameplay depth and where they are at.

Late 2025 is a good date

Xbox has hellblade 2 and Avowed for 2024, which isn’t too shabby though isn’t knocking my socks off either but much better than 2022

No, in-game means in in-game. There were also trailers in the showcase that said in-engine.
One of the devs even confirmed on twitter it was captured on a Series X:

It said "game play" right under the guy who was talking which was obviously an in engine cinematic. There was about 10 seconds or so of really fast flashes of gameplay in this 2 minute trailer so people shouldn't be arguing that there was "no gameplay" there just wasn't very much.

Fable is my favorite xbox IP but I have to say if they just plan on showing this and then not saying anything else for a long time I'd rather they had waited. I have a lot of questions that they didn't cover like can we still choose to be male or female in the game? do good deeds/bad deeds etc. Sadly it looks like the dog is gone, I enjoyed having the dog beside my character in Fable 2 and 3.

Quantum253

In-game just means In-engine right?

Maybe there’s a distinction I’m missing
I think confusion comes from when trailers used to be either CGI or in-game (using the engine to make the cut scene). Then CGI kind of went away then most everything was in-game and was between that and was Real Time. Because you could use the engine to make a great looking trailer that's (in-game) but the actual gameplay part could be down graded a bit or could be like Uncharted where cut scenes would be in- game and you wouldn't even know the switch occurred to player controlled. So I guess the questions would be real time or created by the game engine

Edit: I should clarify I'm referencing Real-Time vs Pre -Rendered by the same engine

Last edited:
Phil Spencer was interviewed by Giant Bomb after the showcase, one of the hosts mentioned Fable still not showing gameplay and Phil immediately responded "Why did you think that that wasn't gameplay?"
Did they respond "Because you called a guy talking to the camera "gameplay" and then proceeded to show a bunch of cinematic things mixed in with a flashes of gameplay.

I think confusion comes from when trailers used to be either CGI or in-game (using the engine to make the cut scene). Then CGI kind of went away then most everything was in-game and was between that and was Real Time. Because you could use the engine to make a great looking trailer that's (in-game) but the actual gameplay part could be down graded a bit or could be like Uncharted where cut scenes would be in- game and you wouldn't even know the switch occurred to player controlled. So I guess the questions would be real time or created by the game engine

That’s what I’m thinking

Real time In-Engine means all resources can be improved for just that scene and gameplay may be downgraded

In-Game suggests that the visuals are representative of actual gameplay quality assets, even if the footage is captured from a cinematic angle

It’s not that unbelievable because the best looking games right now have similar fidelity, but seeing it in the Fable aesthetic for the first time is really impressive

Last edited:

Rykan

Phil Spencer was interviewed by Giant Bomb after the showcase, one of the hosts mentioned Fable still not showing gameplay and Phil immediately responded "Why did you think that that wasn't gameplay?"
I'm guessing there was no pushback to that response at all? No requesting further clarification?

Quantum253

That’s what I’m thinking

Real time In-Engine means all resources can be improved for just that scene and gameplay may be downgraded

In-Game suggests that the visuals are representative of actual gameplay quality assets, even if the footage is captured from a cinematic angle

It’s not that unbelievable because the best looking games right now have similar fidelity, but seeing it in the Fable aesthetic for the first time is really impressive
I would call it a pre- rendered cut scene using the in-game engine and assets. With no UI, hit marks, or any other indicator, its hard to tell whether that fireball throw was Realtime gameplay (with all user indicators removed) or a suggestion of what "gameplay" is possible using the build/assets/models represented by an in game trailer built on the engine and running on similar hardware to the series X

LostDonkey

No, its cutscene snippets that are rendered in engine. There was no gameplay in the trailer.
Jesus you're hard work.

The moment the giant hits the table is all gameplay. Watch again. Through the fire, over the ledge, then the giant gets his finger caught, then he kicks her. All gameplay.

There are also previous gameplay moments show which have already been showed as GIFs by the development team.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No, I don't care about the graphics. This and Perfect Dark seem to be in developer hell. After 2 years we basically get a pointless in engine short of very modern take on subverting expectations of character design. The Office inspired quirky giant is kinda funny but not really a selling point for the game.

Developer hell? Lmao..it looks great...there's even shots of them doing magic and combat. It showed in game animations....

This is playground games. They know how to ship games and there is absolutely no rumours of development hell apart from tales from your batty cheeks ;)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Developer hell? Lmao..it looks great...there's even shots of them doing magic and combat. It showed in game animations....

This is playground games. They know how to ship games and there is absolutely no rumours of development hell apart from tales from your batty cheeks ;)
What looks great? You saw a literal cinematic. They don't even have a senior gameplay designer yet.

Varteras

Gold Member

I don't know about "development hell", but these ideas aren't out of thin air.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I don't know about "development hell", but these ideas aren't out of thin air.
Reading those articles it's just some people sharing that they're upset that MS use propriety engines...which in rhis case looks amazing.

So i personally feel its a lot of hope from sony fans because they showed an ingame trailer that's being dubbed as "cgi" because playground don't fuck around....

Gotcha

Last edited:

Rykan

Jesus you're hard work.

The moment the giant hits the table is all gameplay. Watch again. Through the fire, over the ledge, then the giant gets his finger caught, then he kicks her. All gameplay.

There are also previous gameplay moments show which have already been showed as GIFs by the development team.
Yea no. All of that is blatantly cutscenes. Just like the previous GIFs in this thread are from cutscenes, and not gameplay.

Varteras

Gold Member
So a lot of hope from sony fans because they showed an ingame trailer that's being dubbed as "cgi" because playground don't fuck around....

Gotcha

Don't be so bitchy. Like I said, they're not making things up. Other sources were claiming issues. The rest you can hash out with people complaining about visuals. Just wanted to square that part away.

Quantum253

This is why having someone on stage with a controller was important. At least then it was an argument of is it really on the console or PC.

Except 2005 Sony, that was some dishonest b.s

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Don't be so bitchy. Like I said, they're not making things up. Other sources were claiming issues. The rest you can hash out with people complaining about visuals. Just wanted to square that part away.

Apologies, I missed adding some clarity.

I've read those articles and I feel those issues come more from ms using their own engines in some games and that being difficult for contractors more than development hell.

The description in the page calls it a cinematic trailer, which is bizarre to me. Why do some devs say it's in game, while others say it's cinematic? Which one is it? Regardless, the screenshots look really good and it has that colourful Fable vibe. Hopefully, there's a character creator in there. It's a bit far from release still, I reckon. Hopefully, they show more soon.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Apologies, I missed adding some clarity.

I've read those articles and I feel those issues come more from ms using their own engines in some games and that being difficult for contractors more than development hell.

I'm not going to claim to know how development went or is going. Unfortunately, we're probably looking at another year before we see a robust gameplay trailer that will dispel any notions that what we saw wasn't legit. I doubt this game is coming before late 2025. You can't blame people for being skeptical, though. Fanboy stupidity aside. Been a lot of smoke and mirrors with excuses later on.

Quantum253

I'm not going to claim to know how development went or is going. Unfortunately, we're probably looking at another year before we see a robust gameplay trailer that will dispel any notions that what we saw wasn't legit. I doubt this game is coming before late 2025. You can't blame people for being skeptical, though. Fanboy stupidity aside. Been a lot of smoke and mirrors with excuses later on.
The Twitter mass apology has become a standard marketing tool now

CGNoire

He said no CGI, but it's pretty pointless nowadays, because you can render "in-engine" very deceptive things, that will be very far from the released product.
Yep the second all the big companies added Raytracing and Pathtracing to there engines allowing you to spend hours on a single frame jusf like offline rendering...
... In engine=BS CGI.

Rykan

I think it could be gameplay. Look at the god of war type set pieces with the giants, they look a lot like that

It's just a cinematic trigger set piece. It doesn't provide any information about the actual gameplay of the game.

That's what people complain about when they say there's no gameplay in the trailer. After watching that trailer, you still have no idea about the actual gameplay experience. There's no combat, no questing, no exploration—nothing. Heck, you don't even get a glimpse of the character movement. The trailer fails to show anything about what it's like to play Fable.

The only point of this trailer was to show that they've modeled a character after a celebrity.

Last edited:

Quantum253

It's just a cinematic trigger set piece. It doesn't provide any information about the actual gameplay of the game.

That's what people complain about when they say there's no gameplay in the trailer. After watching that trailer, you still have no idea about the actual gameplay experience. There's no combat, no questing, no exploration—nothing. Heck, you don't even get a glimpse of the character movement. The trailer fails to show anything about what it's like to play Fable.
Your comment reminds me of the whole issue with Anthem. The E3 trailer was amazing, with gameplay and everything. Then from the reporting piece, it was just that a little piece of gameplay for a game with no direction. So even nowadays a glimpse can even be deceptive if the whole picture is still not there

This has really ruffled some feathers. We've been after generation defining graphics for 2 years now, and now that we finally get them some are struggling because it doesn't have the PlayStation studios logo before it.

We've already had them though, they're just now appearing on exclusives from MS. And it's great to see, but don't act like there's not already other examples of good looking "gen defining" visuals out there already, from any studios including third party.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just watched this again and I actually think there’s a fair bit of gameplay in here; kicking the chicken, the combat, the end sequence with the giant chasing Ugly Protag.

Obvious in game cutscenes and not CGI throughout as well.

Playground just make games that look that good, if this targets 30fps and 1440p this will probably stake a claim to the best looking video game of all time. Even if it targets 4k the aggressive pop-in of FH will be gone IMO, and that’s the only technical negative to their games.

My initial reaction yesterday was a bit WTF but this morning I’m thinking ‘at least Playground are far enough now that it looks like they have a clear vision for what this game is’.

Last edited:

CGNoire

You have been fooled. Inengine doesnt mean realtime at all. Quite the opposite. There are countless UE videos on youtube showing inengine footage taking 4-7hrs sometimes even 20 hrs to render 1-2min videos. Not even close to realtime. Its a marketing Hack plain and simple. No different than pre- rendering a brutally complex scene in 3ds max or Maya.

Last edited:
You have been fooled. Inengine doesnt mean realtime at all. Quite the opposite. There are countless UE videos on youtube showing inengine footage taking 4-7hrs sometimes even 20 hrs to render 1-2min videos. Not even close to realtime. Its a marketing Hack plain and simple. No different than pre- rendering a brutally complex scene in 3ds max or Maya.

Some are in-engine and real-time which is not trickery

But in-engine rendered offline certainly is

Quantum253

This has really ruffled some feathers. We've been after generation defining graphics for 2 years now, and now that we finally get them some are struggling because it doesn't have the PlayStation studios logo before it.
But isn't one of the main disappointments/complaints with Sony's showing not having gameplay and mostly trailers?

CGNoire

I belive it states on the beginning of the trailer, in game and later it shows in engine. However, I see where both sides are coming from. It still seems deceptive though
Simple...there lying. Ms would never budget a whole RPG at that fidelity. No fucking way.

THE DUCK

Banned
I don't understand at all why anyone cares if the lead character is ugly or good looking. Some of the best shows on TV have people who aren't the best looking or look different, it doesn't matter at all and in some cases makes it seem more real life. Not everyone is a model. The overly negative reaction is weird.

I mean just look at me, I have feathers and a beak and you accept me no issue.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Some are in-engine and real-time which is not trickery

But in-engine rendered offline certainly is
No there all pre-rendered. No developer in there right mind would miss an opprotunity to slap a "running in realtime " on an graphicly impressive trailer if it actually was. 99% of all marketing is "word play".

acm2000

Why do people keep calling this CGI? It's clearly an in engine scene, you can see the polys etc, this is what current gen engines can do in 30fps in engine cutscenes.

CGNoire

Why does fhe above equal gameplay to you?

Is reminding you of gameplay or having a similar camera that you associate with gameplay all it takes to convince you all?

Did yall learn nothing from the exact same BS camera angles used in the Deep Down Trailer?

StueyDuck

I'm sure the game is gonna look great when it finally comes out.

But do we never learn... of course that trailer isn't indicative of the final product, No game two years out ever is.

I'm sorry I'm very much on the side of MS are being deceptive with that trailer, but again If MS execs like greenburg didn't just shut the fuck up, these discussions wouldn't even be happening. That trailer very clearly isn't the game, but it's a target and a pretty ambitious one, if playground get fairly close to that then they've done a really great job.

However we'll have to see what the game actually is.

CGNoire

But do we never learn
Its not about learning. Its about sending a message to devs that we dont want to be lied too.

Some of yall put all the responsibility on the gamer and not the devs thats blatantly lying us and increasingly so lately. If you think that consumers being lied to about products there selling to us that where spending our hard earned money on doesnt matter or that its gamers fault for falling for it I dont know how to help you. If a large and vocal enough group asked them to stop lying or else....they fucking would. Thats not a bad thing. Im sorry its so annoying to you since thats what really matters to you all.

Top Bottom