• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fakest demos vs actual games ever?

LordOfChaos

It might not be the fakest, but I don't know why people think Nintendo is immune to this, 9 years after this, 6 years after the first game with a second game, and on their next platform compared to what they showed this for initially, it still doesn't have remotely that foliage density and distance, that AA quality, that AF quality, that lighting quality, but they insisted it was "not just in-engine but in-game" and the Nintendo stans fought anyone pondering otherwise about if the Wii U and now even later Switch can do this, who turned out to be right that it was a target output on PC. The real system, even a whole generation after what they showed this for, ends AF filtering a foot from the MC.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is always my go to. I remember watching it many many times.

Luckily the lived up to expectations. Sure it wasn't graphically that good but it damn well delivered muddy dirty monster truck smashing high octane racing...

And then we got pacific Rift (crosses legs)

Thankfully Motorstorm wound up being great. Even the PSP game was good.

I know two very resent trailers who where the greatest bullshit trailers i EVER seen...the GCI trailer of Halo Infinite. A world full if life (the deers in the woods and the sort of rhino's running trough a field and the beachscene) and Redfall... I mean... come on....🙄

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

These were apparently concept trailers never meant to be seen by the public. Somebody in Sony marketing just threw them into the E3 reel. Sony really fucked with its devs that E3
They were meant for public for sure, they just weren't meant to be labeled as running on PS3.

Kadve

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Fun fact. That demo was real atleast for PC. Ubisoft just locked us out of the "Ultra" setting. Most likely so that the PS3/X360 version wouldnt look bad by comparison.

Even worse its so that the ps4 and xbox one wouldnt look so bad in comparison. Basically, alot of third party devs were caught way off guard by how under powered the “next gen”
Consoles were. so they had to downgrade the shit out of next gen games they were making to actually get them to work on the hardware when they finally got dev kits

Laptop1991

Fun fact. That demo was real atleast for PC. Ubisoft just locked us out of the "Ultra" setting, Most likely so that the PS3/X360 version wouldnt look bad by comparison.

Yeah i remember unlocking the hidden settings and it did look a lot better, but still not as good as the 1st trailer's made it out to be, a shady move all round really downgrading the graphics and hiding the option's lol, i still regret buying the game.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Forget graphics, that's boring talk. Who gives a shit?

The real crime is when demos give a false impression of a full game's content.

Resident Evil 3 Remake's demo made it seem like the 2R gameplay of freely exploring to find items and solve puzzles was representative of the full game (as it should have been). Instead, the game drops that almost immediately in favour of mostly straight line gameplay with little detour. Carlos gets the best exploration after that near the end of the game.

Gp1

Every fucking fake multiplayer chat banter from ubicrap.

Just fuck …

I maybe wrong if i remember, at least the graphics in game are way better than this trailer.

Both Ghost Recon Wildlands and Breakpoint, after some updates, turned out to be very good games.

But UBI did a lot of fake trailer back in these days. The Division 1, Watchdogs, Siege etc.

But still... Motorstorm and Killzone were on the next level.

Last edited:

MarkyG

I remember watching this on the day and even said to myself "the retail version isn't going to look like this" - I was right, but the final version wasn't exactly bad looking, it just wasn't anywhere near as amazing as the pre-release trailer.

winjer

Gold Member
I remember watching this on the day and even said to myself "the retail version isn't going to look like this" - I was right, but the final version wasn't exactly bad looking, it just wasn't anywhere near as amazing as the pre-release trailer.

Truth be told, Anthem had good graphics for the time.
But that trailer set unrealistic expectations for many people, causing more problems for the game when it released.

Last edited:
KSBc.gif

Pretty much every Kinekt game Microsoft tried to peddle back in the day.
/thread

Who the fuck do they think they're fooling with this? No one stands like that!

Top of my head:

Killzone 2 (weird case where final game is far better in some areas and far weaker in others)

Witcher 3

Spider-Man 2

Watch Dogs

Cyberpunk 2077

Halo 2 (god bless them though if you know the behind the scenes)

Unknown?

Cyberpunk is not even in the same ballpark as killzone 2

Smoke and fire effects still looks better than most modern games out there.

But the final game looked better than that demo. Sure it had some areas that were better as all CGI will, but overall was worse than the 2009 game.

FUBARx89

I'm very surprised nobody mentioned Aliens: Colonial Marines. The demo was superb, beautiful and interesting.
The final release was disastrous.

Why has this only been mentioned in page 2 ffs. Showing it off looked amazing. The game was utter dog shit and £5 within 2 weeks of coming out it was that fucked.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I'm also surprised Colonial Marines only appeared in the second page.
It's the textbook example of fake demos.

At least with Killzone they ended up releasing a pretty good game. With Colonial Marines we had Greasy Randy pretending to play a pre-rendered demo whose assets never even made it to a terrible final game.

Buggy Loop

Probably not the « worse » but Last of Us part 2 stuck with me because the bullshit trailer had super high praise for animations by everyone including other studios, where they’re basically ahead of everyone else right? Right?

Naw

GymWolf

But the final game looked better than that demo. Sure it had some areas that were better as all CGI will, but overall was worse than the 2009 game.
The final game looked great but nowhere near that trailer except for the better hit reactions that look bad and super scripted in the cg trailer.

Top Bottom