• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Mistel

Banned
A bump I thought it was dead yay. As for deathclaws explosives or a nice shotgun blast with to the head works wonders.

Or failing that a suitable amount of explosives would easily fell a deathclaw. That's what I do when I pick up mercy.

What level should I be to take on Deathclaws??? I'm 20ish and they still destroy me and Cass :( Was trying to see what the abandoned BoS Safehouse would have for me... yup not going in there for awhile.

A gauss rifle (especially the YCS/186) can make short work of them. It also really helps to take out one of their legs.

I've had this game for a while but I've never finished it. NV just felt so different from Fallout 3 I wasn't sure what to do. I'd like to give it another try, do you recommend focusing on the main questline or only playing it to a certain point before doing other quests?

Mistel

Banned
I've had this game for a while but I've never finished it. NV just felt so different from Fallout 3 I wasn't sure what to do. I'd like to give it another try, do you recommend focusing on the main questline or only playing it to a certain point before doing other quests?
You can pretty much do what you want as regards to your progression the game guides you to New Vegas but you don't have to follow it explicitly.

Woorloog

Banned

Well there's a ton of stuff to do, just like FO3. The main quest has one point that resets your Legion/NCR reputation so you may want to do some stuff before that, if you want to do both sides quests, trade with them or whatever.
The game world is much less forgiving compared to FO3, due to pre-determined area level ranges (don't go straight to north from the starting place), so leveling is important, and since later quests take you to more difficult places... So doing side quests is a good idea, provided they're in "safe" areas.
Of course, this depends heavily on your playstyle, and how much you plan your builds (i plan mine beforehand very, very carefully, to the point i plan my builds more than i play the game actually...).
There is no right way to play Fallouts, i think.

Brojito

Neo Member
Picked up the FNV Ultimate Edition last year on a steam sale and I'm planning to go for a second playthrough sometime soon. First time through I did Yes Man, but I want to do something different this time... any opinions?

Also, any good mod recommendations?

Picked up the FNV Ultimate Edition last year on a steam sale and I'm planning to go for a second playthrough sometime soon. First time through I did Yes Man, but I want to do something different this time... any opinions?

pp7ELYFm.png

*tear*

Fjordson

Honestly, I started branching out after like an hour or two. Basically once I had my bearings and some decent equipment. At least good enough equipment to keep me alive. I found it pretty easy to bounce between the main story and exploring for side quests and content. And like Woorloog said, side quests are always a good idea since it'll allow you to access more areas and quests earlier. Because if you're underpowered/underleveled for something in this game you get owned hard.

It's been a while since I've played NV, but I think I started branching out once I left Primm. It's a small town you can run into fairly quickly.

Matchew

I got this during the steam sale and all the DLC. Should I be a certain level before starting the DLC or can I jump in. I'm level 8 now should I level more?

Mistel

Banned
I got this during the steam sale and all the DLC. Should I be a certain level before starting the DLC or can I jump in. I'm level 8 now should I level more?
The dlc has it's own recommend level the lowest is 15 or so for old world blues but honest hearts is rather short and easy unless you are waiting to latter levels for the anti material rifles the white legs can have.
First time through I did Yes Man, but I want to do something different this time... any opinions?
Caesar's legion or Mr House? As for mods Nevada skies and project Nevada are good.

Farks!

The dlc has it's own recommend level the lowest is 15 or so for old world blues but honest hearts is rather short and easy unless you are waiting to latter levels for the anti material rifles the white legs can have.

And as always, play the DLC in order of release. Because they have an overarching side story which is really good. Dead Money->Honest Hearts->Old World Blues->Lonesome Road. And the last one, LR, is best played just before the final battle.

Godammit, what a great game this is!

Dresden

What level should I be to take on Deathclaws??? I'm 20ish and they still destroy me and Cass :( Was trying to see what the abandoned BoS Safehouse would have for me... yup not going in there for awhile.

That's a good level. Shotgun with the knockdown/armor pen perks, anyone with a compliance regulator from Honest Hearts, or just a holorifle/pew pew/gauss/alien blaster shot to the face for energy users. Or just snipe.

hemtae

And as always, play the DLC in order of release. Because they have an overarching side story which is really good. Dead Money->Honest Hearts->Old World Blues->Lonesome Road. And the last one, LR, is best played just before the final battle.

Godammit, what a great game this is!

You don't really have to play honest hearts after dead money because there's barely any references to Ulysses in it and level 8 is perfectly good enough to start it. It may be a bit out of the way from where he is though.

zkylon

zkylewd
You don't really have to play honest hearts after dead money because there's barely any references to Ulysses in it and level 8 is perfectly good enough to start it. It may be a bit out of the way from where he is though.

honest hearts does have some hooks with old world blues that make it worth playing it in order

i really would like to play the dlc out of order one day and see how well they work

Fjordson

Boone as a companion helped me a lot with Deathclaws. He was all up in their ass from distance sniping for a ton of damage. As did Arcade Gannnon with his plasma weapons. Good combo.

hemtae

honest hearts does have some hooks with old world blues that make it worth playing it in order

i really would like to play the dlc out of order one day and see how well they work

I always play Honest Hearts first since it seems the friendliest to low level characters.

lustrate

I've been thinking about going back to F:NV after recently revisiting Skyrim. My only hesitation is the seriously dated look of the game. I know F:NV has a modding community similar to Skyrim. So, my question is: is there anyway to give the game a significant facelift? From what I've seen online mods don't really improve the aesthetic too noticeably.

Woorloog

Banned
Significant? Probably not. There are some high-rez textures and better bodies and some higher quality weapon model mods but that's about it.
You could try ENB shaders perhaps (me, i can't stand those, and i hate how modders for some games tend to take pics from their mods with ENB/other non-required mods enabled).

Mistel

Banned
I've been thinking about going back to F:NV after recently revisiting Skyrim. My only hesitation is the seriously dated look of the game. I know F:NV has a modding community similar to Skyrim. So, my question is: is there anyway to give the game a significant facelift? From what I've seen online mods don't really improve the aesthetic too noticeably.
Nevada skies might be of interest to you it's a weather effects mod but it also makes for some gorgeous visuals:
35998-1-1290293205.jpg

Rolodzeo

Just finished the game. Overall... I don't know. It definitely is a good game, but I think I enjoyed Fallout 3 more, and it felt more immersive to me at the time. The scale, the sights, the vehicles, everything felt much more impressive to me in F3. Although I realize this game has much more depth beneath the surface, I think I prefer the more streamlined approach of F3. For instance, I tried to finish the game with the NCR ending, but I don't know what the heck I did that when I went to the Khan's Canyon I was immediately attacked. Then one thing led to another and I finished the game with the independence ending because everyone was hostile to me (even the fricking BoS, which I've never encountered before the Yes Man talked about them to me). It was a meh experience for me in the final moments because I couldn't manage all the factions at once.

Anyway I enjoyed the game and I think I'll enjoy the DLCs (haven't done them so far in purpose), but I think I prefer Fallout 3 over this one. Crazy he calls me.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just finished the game. Overall... I don't know. It definitely is a good game, but I think I enjoyed Fallout 3 more, and it felt more immersive to me at the time. The scale, the sights, the vehicles, everything felt much more impressive to me in F3. Although I realize this game has much more depth beneath the surface, I think I prefer the more streamlined approach of F3. For instance, I tried to finish the game with the NCR ending, but I don't know what the heck I did that when I went to the Khan's Canyon I was immediately attacked. Then one thing led to another and I finished the game with the independence ending because everyone was hostile to me (even the fricking BoS, which I've never encountered before the Yes Man talked about them to me). It was a meh experience for me in the final moments because I couldn't manage all the factions at once.

Anyway I enjoyed the game and I think I'll enjoy the DLCs (haven't done them so far in purpose), but I think I prefer Fallout 3 over this one. Crazy he calls me.
that's ok

make sure you play the dlc tho, they're really really good!

So I am playing through New Vegas for the first time now. I've owned the game since 2012, but I've never really gave it a fair shake. It felt so different from FO3 when I first played it that I was turned off from it. Now though... Holy shit it is so much better than FO3 that it isn't even funny.

I'm playing on easy as a melee focused walking tank, I've joined the Brotherhood and plan to get them to cooperate with the NCR. I haven't even gotten to the Strip yet and I'm level 15.

I plan to do another play through supporting the Legion, but I hear it is much more difficult.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's not really more difficult, you miss out on some crap but you can do the legion run no problem, and it's actually pretty fun

you should bump it to normal tho, easy is pretty lame

Ugh. I love this game and have put an ungodly amount of time into it, but holy hell is it all falling apart now. It freezes every time I play, the framerate is constantly in the single digits, and now it appears I can't go the peaceful route with the Khans because I triggered a dialogue option before the quest started.

I'm just done with it and want to speed to the end already. I'm on "For the Republic: Part 2" and still need to finish Lonesome Road. Made allies with the Boomers and the Brotherhood. Are there any other side missions I need to complete before I finish the game? I'm on the NCR side, but really gunning for the Followers if that helps out.

zkylon

zkylewd
that's the last main quest before the hoover dam endgame shenanigans

dunno what to say about sidequests, really, there's just so many of them :/

The side quests are optional entirely not are mandatory for completion but they are worth your while to do.

Of course, but I've done most of them already. I'm talking specifically about how to get a decent ending. I've been working towards those Side Bets and getting in good graces with the various groups, but I think I have to give that up because 1) Every main factions headquarters freezes on me 2/3 times and 2) The game bugged out and now there's no peaceful way to get the Khans to join the NCR.

I'm just wondering if there are any side quests that will alter the ending that I should speed through before I finish the game (aside from Lonesome Road).

zkylon

zkylewd
you don't get an "ending", you choose a side and your final mission changes based on who's main storyline you've followed

you're pretty deep on the ncr storyline so if u talk to the ncr general lady and accept the final mission that's what you'll get

sidequests are more for the town/character slides

Mistel

Banned
Of course, but I've done most of them already. I'm talking specifically about how to get a decent ending. I've been working towards those Side Bets and getting in good graces with the various groups, but I think I have to give that up because 1) Every main factions headquarters freezes on me 2/3 times and 2) The game bugged out and now there's no peaceful way to get the Khans to join the NCR.

I'm just wondering if there are any side quests that will alter the ending that I should speed through before I finish the game (aside from Lonesome Road).
There's no side quests that alter the ending specifically. Side bets is a main quest for the independent faction the can change the ending of the NCR main quest. There's technically no best ending really.

hemtae

Honestly, (ending spoilers)
the Great Khan get their best ending if you just convince them to bail out of the whole thing.

Honestly, (ending spoilers)
the Great Khan get their best ending if you just convince them to basil out of the whole thing.

Yeah. But I talked to Regis before the quest began, and that apparently prevents him from triggering the conversation that leads to a diplomatic solution. So my only course of action is to assassinate Papa Khan. And because of that I'm sorta boned outta the Side Bets with them too.

Is it worth convincing the Omertas and the White Glove Society? Do they do anything to really help you in the final battle, or whatever goes down?

OraleeWey

Just started playing this game again after playing it on Ps3 for a mere hour or two a long time ago. I am enjoying it greatly. I dropped it because I couldn't see the beauty Fallout is. Now I see the light. I'm on PC this time around though! Looks like I'm VLTTP considering the last post was 9/2014. I wish I was there!

Farks!

Just started playing this game again after playing it on Ps3 for a mere hour or two a long time ago. I am enjoying it greatly. I dropped it because I couldn't see the beauty Fallout is. Now I see the light. I'm on PC this time around though! Looks like I'm VLTTP considering the last post was 9/2014. I wish I was there!

This party never ends!

benny-just-dance-o.gif

One of the best games ever.

HBP

Sorry to bump an old post but my PS3 died and I sold my 360 when I got an Xbone, with the news of Fallout 4 I have the itch to play Fallout New Vegas but I do not have a gaming PC so I wanted to see if anyone knew if my laptop would run it decently.

Thinkpad T450
Intel i5 2.3 GHz
8GB Ram
Intel HD 5500 Graphics

I am sure everything else is fine but the integrated graphics is what I am concerned about.

curlycare

Great thanks! I just was wanting similar console performance so it sounds like I will fine.
And in the worst case, if it doesn't run, you can get a refund on steam I believe (if you bought it in the last two weeks and have played less than two hours).

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Err, I got the game today and I just died and spawned at the start of a quest I finished 30 minutes ago? Does the game seriously not save your progress automatically?

hemtae

Err, I got the game today and I just died and spawned at the start of a quest I finished 30 minutes ago? Does the game seriously not save your progress automatically?

Of you see a loading screen, it should autosave. Like leaving or entering a building or fast traveling.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Of you see a loading screen, it should autosave. Like leaving or entering a building or fast traveling.

I guess I'll need to find an auto save mod, losing progress is a total buzz kill.

Top Bottom