• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAMICOM WARS DS Official Thread

john tv

B0009NUPAI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Famicom Wars DS, aka Advance Wars: Dual Strike, is out this week in Japan. I got my copy today, and I'm loving it!

I didn't play it at E3, so this is my first time, but I have to say, the controls with the DS are really nice! I wonder if I'll be able to go back to playing with just a d-pad now... (I haven't finished either of the GBA versions yet).

I wish I wasn't swamped with work because I want to play more... :(

Anyone else planning on importing? Or is everyone waiting for the English release in August?

Zensetsu

You lucky bastard you. I'm considdering importing this if there is a delay between the USA and AUS releases (very likely). If not it will be a launch-day purchase for sure.

polg

waiting til august...
and I might have to take a week of or something... my last AW experience was quite an... obsession :D

Syb

I cannot wait.

*Here's hoping that for some reason NOA include an online mode*

(Chance, 1 to 1000)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Zensetsu said:
You lucky bastard you. I'm considdering importing this if there is a delay between the USA and AUS releases (very likely). If not it will be a launch-day purchase for sure.

Why wouldn't you just import all your handheld games if you are Aus? Make the switch, it's truely better. leave the local buying for second hand.

Syb

catfish said:
Why wouldn't you just import all your handheld games if you are Aus? Make the switch, it's truely better. leave the local buying for second hand.

Im taking the plunge.

For the same price of an AUS DS game, I can import the US version and recieve it 3-6 Months earlier. :)

almokla said:
no online for FW/AW DS thats confirmed.

Oh well, I can dream.

*BTW, That figure was supposed to be 1000:1.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Syb said:
Im taking the plunge.

For the same price of an AUS DS game, I can import the US version and recieve it 3-6 Months earlier. :)

I've done it about 3 times from videogamesplus.ca

My touch kirby should be here tomorrow for $15 cheaper than an NZ release, when do we get kirby again? September right?

EDIT: Anyway John, can you describe how the stylus and 2 screens work? Also whats that realtime mode like?

Syb

catfish said:

My touch kirby should be here tomorrow for $15 cheaper than an NZ release, when do we get kirby again? September right?

Yup, scheduled for a Sep 2005 release, rediculous.

Woah! Thanks for the linky, you just saved me $10. :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Syb said:
Yup, scheduled for a Sep 2005 release, rediculous.

Woah! Thanks for the linky, you just saved me $10. :)

dvdboxoffice.com can get it to you minus the cost of shipping as they do free worldwide, I've found their service to be appalling though, you have something sitting as "submitted" in your cart when its in stock and it will sit in that state for 1 week with no action. videogamesplus.ca is always shipped immediately, that's been a couple of friends experience to, the speed is usually worth the extra 5 if I'm busting for a new game.

Piepz

I import ALL my games from NA (mostly from videogamesplus.ca), because Europe is shitty region for gaming. Mine GameCube even is US one :D

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
catfish said:
dvdboxoffice.com can get it to you minus the cost of shipping as they do free worldwide, I've found their service to be appalling though, you have something sitting as "submitted" in your cart when its in stock and it will sit in that state for 1 week with no action. videogamesplus.ca is always shipped immediately, that's been a couple of friends experience to, the speed is usually worth the extra 5 if I'm busting for a new game.

yeah, dvdboxoffice are SLOW. good for hard-to-find dvd's though. i never rely on them for an urgent must-have purchase ;P

polg

catfish said:

EDIT: Anyway John, can you describe how the stylus and 2 screens work? Also whats that realtime mode like?

I always import from Play-Asia and they are SUPAH FAST with deliveries... they usually take about 3-4 days to Wellington

Piepz

catfish said:
Nah, mostly all dvdboxoffice.com prices includes shipping cost, because all software cost a bit more than in other stores (vg+.ca). So all this "free shipping" is piece of bullshit. Also console prices are highly overpriced, because they include courrier shipping costs.

edit: typos

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
As much as I want it now, I'm waiting for the US version.

I have plenty of games right now anyway. Another Code DS comes out in Europe this week for instance.

Got a kind friend in Japan sending me a copy on the 23rd, can't wait! If the story line is based on enquiring about directions to the train station, ordering beer or asking 'can I take your photo', then I'm sure my Japanese ability will be proficient enough to get me through.

aparisi2274

john tv said:
B0009NUPAI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Famicom Wars DS, aka Advance Wars: Dual Strike, is out this week in Japan. I got my copy today, and I'm loving it!

I didn't play it at E3, so this is my first time, but I have to say, the controls with the DS are really nice! I wonder if I'll be able to go back to playing with just a d-pad now... (I haven't finished either of the GBA versions yet).

Anyone else planning on importing? Or is everyone waiting for the English release in August?

English for me please!!!

Stryder

All you people talking of importing, there is also Tronix (www.tronixweb.com) shipping is a little pricey but they make up for it in the low price of their games, I have Kirby and Meteos coming over once Meteos is released with Meteos at $29.95 and Kirby at $34.95 (US$) with $15 shipping, Int'l FedEx is super fast as well (2-4 days).

I've shopped through videogamesplus.ca they are quite good, and same with dvdboxoffice (although yes, they can be slow).

Jonnyram

I got mine today too. I've put a bit of time into it but not too much.

Campaign mode so far has been like the GBA games. The Red, Blue, Green and Yellow nations have teamed up to battle against Black Hole Army in Omegaland. You have a few tutorial modes to start with, showing you the ropes. As John pointed out, all the control can be done with the touchpen, which is really easy and intuitive. Click on the units to move them around and fire, click outside the range to deselect. Click on the little menu tab to open up the menu for finishing your turn, using shogun (CO) moves etc. The top screen shows unit info for now.

I also tried out the Combat mode for a bit, as this is the brand new game mode included. You can play against the CPU or friends, but I was at home, so CPU mode it was. You start with 20000 credit and can buy different units within that price range, so you could get 20x foot soldiers (at 1000 each) or 4 tanks (at 5000 each), or a mixture of many different things. You have to battle through six screens - I broke off half way through because they were getting lengthy. On each screen you have to destroy all your enemies units in realtime. Use the d-pad to move the unit and tap the screen with the touch pen in the direction you want to fire. Blow up mountains and trees to reveal power ups, hover over your base to replenish the health of your unit. It seems really fun so far. The basic gist is to just play it calm and not get surrounded or you'll get killed really quickly.

I'll try to put some more time into the campaign mode before I sleep, but I have lots of work to do, and also want to play Chibi Robo some more too :D

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
I'll try to put some more time into the campaign mode before I sleep, but I have lots of work to do, and also want to play Chibi Robo some more too :D

Hey, can you do a Chibi Robo impression thread tomorrow? I know nothing about the game, other than it has a robot and scored pretty well in Famitsu. Need to know if it's worth picking up :)

aparisi2274

Stryder said:
All you people talking of importing, there is also Tronix (www.tronixweb.com) shipping is a little pricey but they make up for it in the low price of their games, I have Kirby and Meteos coming over once Meteos is released with Meteos at $29.95 and Kirby at $34.95 (US$) with $15 shipping, Int'l FedEx is super fast as well (2-4 days).

I've shopped through videogamesplus.ca they are quite good, and same with dvdboxoffice (although yes, they can be slow).

Tronix really doesnt do import games anymore. Unless you are talking about importing US games to other regions, then they still do imports, but for us Americans, all he has now are US games. I now generally order from ncsx.com

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
waiting for english version, though I am completely jealous of the japanese gamer once again. :(

Deku

Banned
john tv said:

I'm assuming you're referring the touch controls?

Cathcart

Is it possible to play the regular game with stylus only the entire time? And if so how do you handle scrolling around the map?

DCharlie

Banned
"Top secret l33t ins1d3r hookups!"

That's impossible! I'm MR FAKEY and i got my copy yesterday too! ;)

... i've lost my friken DS though! Where the HELL did i put it?!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
polg said:
I always import from Play-Asia and they are SUPAH FAST with deliveries... they usually take about 3-4 days to Wellington

whats pricing like, is that for english games as well? I never import foreign language games.

Also, there are a few people on tradme doing some importing. some good prices on GBA games. can't believe we are expected to pay 80 for a GBA game. no thanks.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
DCharlie said:
"Top secret l33t ins1d3r hookups!"

That's impossible! I'm MR FAKEY and i got my copy yesterday too! ;)

... i've lost my friken DS though! Where the HELL did i put it?!

under the mound of games your fiance is buried under :/

DCharlie

Banned
i found it

even funnier is that my credit card (which i'd lost about a week ago) was clasped in it.

Played it on the way to work.

It's pretty nice. Sometimes selecting the units can be a bit fiddly but it does feel so much more natural to move the units with the stylus.

I've not got to see much of the new stuff (new vehicles, 2 level playing field, etc) but the presentation is very nice.

Also, i like the amusing speech bubbles after each little battle commenting on what happened.

I took a helicopter up against some land troops. "OH NO" flashes up the speech bubble on the enemies side ... "GOODY" says my CO.

A small touch that could have some comedy phrases in there.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
"OH NO"
"GOODY"

:lol

I fucking can't wait until the US version launches. More impressions pwease!

john tv

Combat Mode is awesome. The funny thing is, it plays just like Atari 2600 Combat. :lol

I got to the fourth stage last night before running out of units, but it was fun! It's basically like a mini-shooter. You can just use the A button to shoot, too. You don't have to use the touch screen. Certain units can destroy terrain, and you can overtake bases and use them to heal your guys just like in the main AW game. Overall it seems pretty fun.

The main game is good as well, though it's starting to get a bit complicated now that I can choose COs and such. It's at a point that I'm actually needing to read the text, which I don't have time for at the moment. :)

Jonnyram

I beat the first 7 missions so far. I got S rank for the first six and then fog of war comes in and I only got a B on the seventh :( Still, it's great fun. It's a little fiddly selecting units at the back of the screen sometimes, thanks to the weird perspective they've added, but no complaints apart from that.

We'll have to get together for combat play - I guess it'll be so much more fun playing against real people.

Hero

I really want this game. I can wait two months for the NA localization though.

Kirby and Meteos will keep me busy.

Cathcart

john tv said:
Combat Mode is awesome. The funny thing is, it plays just like Atari 2600 Combat. :lol
If this is true, sold times like a billion, but it's probably not. As great as that would be I didn't get the impression that Combat Mode was as slow as old school Combat (aka The Greatest Game Ever Made). Tell me if I'm wrong, though. I'd be glad to hear it.

Also, screw you guys for not answering my last question :p

DCharlie

Banned
"Is it possible to play the regular game with stylus only the entire time? And if so how do you handle scrolling around the map?"
yes it is - scrolling is handled by just chosing a square further down the map.

you can also play the game the old way on just the pad controls.

Piepz

DCharlie said:
yes it is - scrolling is handled by just chosing a square further down the map.

you can also play the game the old way on just the pad controls.
which one's better - the new or the old way ?

I really need to get a DS. I'll buy it at the same time this comes out in the US, probably. I ran out before work the day AW2 came out and got one fresh from the shipping box. :) I imagine I'll do the same thing again this time.

I'm pleased to hear the "RTS" mode I had heard of previously is actually fun (and doesn't sound like an RTS either, a genre which I'm not a huge fan of)

Cathcart said:
If this is true, sold times like a billion, but it's probably not. As great as that would be I didn't get the impression that Combat Mode was as slow as old school Combat (aka The Greatest Game Ever Made). Tell me if I'm wrong, though. I'd be glad to hear it.

Also, screw you guys for not answering my last question :p

Combat mode is really a lot like Atari Combat. It is fairly slow, although it can be overwhelming with a lot of players/bots. There's only one unit per player at a time, so it's not too crazy unless you have six or seven people playing...which I've done. Multiplayer Combat mode is just sickeningly awesome, and it's single-card, of course!

BTW, I've probably told you this before, but you have one of the greatest avatars ever.

zangiefsmall2dn.gif
zangiefsmall2dn.gif
zangiefsmall2dn.gif

Top Bottom