• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAMICOM WARS DS Official Thread

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:
ooo - when dya get here and how long you here?
this weekend is crazy busy :(
she's on level 26

I'll be in town between July 26th and August 7th. Should make it to one or two meetups + maybe see everyone at the SquareEnix thing while I'm in town. Already cancelled my cell-phone, but I'll contact through pm closer to the date :)

john tv

Bebpo said:
I'll be in town between July 26th and August 7th. Should make it to one or two meetups + maybe see everyone at the SquareEnix thing while I'm in town. Already cancelled my cell-phone, but I'll contact through pm closer to the date :)
Damn! I'll be out of town for the 28th meetup, but you will want to be there. It's gonna be a good one. :)

Looking forward to seeing ya!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
If someone is willing to record some of the new CO music, advancewarsnet.com can host it.

sasimirobot

Mission 24 Kicks your ass!

You start out surrounded by 4/5 rocket launchers a BattleShip and some other long range weapons. Took me about 3 tries and since it takes about a hour to finish the damn level it will wear you out.

Jonnyram

Quite possibly.
There's a lot of extra missions you can find so your mission numbers probably won't tally with friends. I guess the main path is the same, but the optional missions are pretty interesting. I just did one with a spiral of pipes that DCharlie hadn't seen. Now I can make
piperunners

Oh, and if you have Gameboy Wars Advance 1+2, try putting that in the GBA slot when you boot. Go to the Wars Shop ;)
4 exclusive multiplayer maps and 2 wallpapers are available to buy for 1 credit each

sasimirobot

I am almost finsihed with campain mode, Im on the last stage.
What do you guys think of the title overall now that you are deeper into it?

I hate to admit it, but the second screen is almost useless/redundant as implimented. I thought there would be more top screen missions that actually meant something (some of them were impossible to beat AFAIK, and the outcome didnt matter anyways) and it just seemed like a distraction from the main map just to have a "wow, look 2 screens!".

The new power-up system for the COs is interesting but since I am at the end game I didnt even get to see most of what it had to offer. Maybe I could find out what the hell "trance guard" is...

There is still a shitload of other maps and options for replay value but I really wish the main game was more difficult (maybe I have played this series to heavily?). I will see if there is an option to play on a harder setting.

This is the last "Wars" title I will buy that is not online, the game resembles chess in many ways, and like playing chess against a computer, it is ultimately an empty win.

It may seem I am nit picking the game to death, but after 25 hours of play I can say I sure as hell got my moneys worth so far and love the game for what it does offer.

Bebpo

Banned
sasimirobot said:
I hate to admit it, but the second screen is almost useless/redundant as implimented. I thought there would be more top screen missions that actually meant something (some of them were impossible to beat AFAIK, and the outcome didnt matter anyways) and it just seemed like a distraction from the main map just to have a "wow, look 2 screens!".

Wait, so the outcome of the 2nd screen battle doesn't matter? I thought that might've been the case, but I wasn't sure. Seems really stupid to waste sending a bunch of units to the top screen then I guess. Does the money gain from the buildings you capture on the top screen even remain after the top battle ends?

Jonnyram

Of course the outcome matters. If you win, you get an extra CO. If you lose, the opponent gets an extra CO. I believe there's other benefits to winning too, that are specific to certain missions, but it wouldn't be there if it wasn't important.

sasimirobot

I remember one mission in particular were it was IMPOSSIBLE to win the top battle. It was just a complete waste of time, why not just give the computer an extra CO at the beggining of the battle?

The other top battles so easy as to be pointless also (I dont think I came close to even losing the other ones). Seemed like filler for the sake of filler to me...
The missions with a orbiting sattelite, for example, hinted at the potential for dual screen madness, but just came up short in the end.

The problem is that the options the DS has were not utilized very well at all (top screen and stylus support) compared to the last 2 AA titles before it.

Im not saying this game shouldnt be on the DS, but that it could have easily been done on the GameBoy Advance and feels like AW2.5

Jonnyram

Finished the regular campaign tonight. The last mission was a total blast - nice relief after the bitch of a penultimate mission. The credits music is amazing and a fantastic example of what the DS is capable of outputting. GDJustin posted a link for the music in another thread but it's since moved so I found the new link: http://www.advancewarsnet.com/awdsmusic.shtml

Now to play through hard campaign and sharpen my skills for some versus play with Cormacaroni and DCharlie. After all's said and done, I think the stylus and second screen worked well with the game. There was one mission where the sub-area battle seemed impossible, but I think if you control it yourself and send enough units up there you can probably succeed.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Jonnyram said:
Finished the regular campaign tonight. The last mission was a total blast - nice relief after the bitch of a penultimate mission. The credits music is amazing and a fantastic example of what the DS is capable of outputting. GDJustin posted a link for the music in another thread but it's since moved so I found the new link: http://www.advancewarsnet.com/awdsmusic.shtml

Now to play through hard campaign and sharpen my skills for some versus play with Cormacaroni and DCharlie. After all's said and done, I think the stylus and second screen worked well with the game. There was one mission where the sub-area battle seemed impossible, but I think if you control it yourself and send enough units up there you can probably succeed.

I really hate the sound of the music in AWDS. It's oversynthesized.

Although some music benefits from it (Flak, Kanbei, and Hawke's themes come to mind), there's many songs which either don't change much at all (Grit and Max's themes), and then there's guys whose themes are ruined. (Andy and Drake).

then you have themes which sometimes I think sound better than their AW2 counterparts, and other times I think sound worse. :lol (Colin)

AND WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH SASHA'S THEME?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The AWDS music is killing my hosting, lol. We're going through like 5 GBs a day now and the files have been hotlinked all over the place.

So anyone reading this, do me a favor. Please link to the HTML page itself, as jonny did, and not directly to the files. Muchos Gracias.

Top Bottom