• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 6 - Official Review Thread

Derktron

Banned
Seems like the story seems solid with the villain of course played by one of the actors from Breaking Bad but seems like gameplay is lacking as usual with any Ubisoft game ever made.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Bold of you to assume that I haven't. I own the first game and 2nd game in my Steam library.

You have them in your Steam library but have you played them? And if yes, do you really think that if someone played FarCry 1 or FarCry 2 they "played them all"? You can't be serious.

Derktron

Banned

ryceballz-oof.gif

Seems like the French company has sure lost its touch. I really hope one day Ubisoft gets the same wake-up call as EA did even though EA is still EA but they made some decent games since their wake-up call.

Derktron

Banned
Gone play it on ubisoft+ and finally cancel that subscription after I beat it on PC, can't wait lol. Game looks fun and what I'd expect from Far Cry so I think it'll be cool
Shit I totally forgot about Ubisoft + maybe I'll play it on there instead of me buying the game

Derktron

Banned
Yep they took that change from me again at the end of last month, so ill have almost the whole month to run through it
Hopefully, I get to still play it on Stadia so that I won't have to install it on my PC. I have it preordered at GameStop hopefully I get to cancel it or exchange it for something else.

Alebrije

The game formula is fun but at the same time repetitive , its not worth to buy at launch so better wait to get it for 30 bucks or less...

Have see some you tube streams this week and you see that just few people are interested to get it.

UBI needs a shake...only franchise at this moment relevant is AC.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Not only games from ubisoft factory are the most predictable shit ever, but their scores also fall in the same category. With ubisoft there is no fun at all.

What an odd statement. If you enjoyed the previous games you will enjoy this one. . .but the games aren't fun because they have the same scores?

Fbh

Seems about as expected.

It's Far Cry, I think at this point most people know if they are in or out. It's always the same game with slight variations and in a new setting.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The game formula is fun but at the same time repetitive , its not worth to buy at launch so better wait to get it for 30 bucks or less...

Have see some you tube streams this week and you see that just few people are interested to get it.

UBI needs a shake...only franchise at this moment relevant is AC.

There's enough people out there who enjoy the gameloop to make Ubi a ton of money, so it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for them to change the formula. New IP would be the way for that. With that said, the puzzling part for me is why do they keep NOT fixing the actual issues like f.ex. the AI and AI spawning (well, I guess it's because people buy it anyway, so they don't have to..).

garbage/10

That's the score I'd give your contribution.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

This inventory item giving you different skills thing sounds annoying without being able to swap between sets quickly, I wonder if they can/will add that post launch, like GoT did and that makes it a way better game imo.

Is it really that annoying to fight enemies with suboptimal gear? As in they are damage sponges? That something that instantly turned me off of New Dawn.

Last edited:
Not impressed from what I’ve seen, bland, more or less the same template with a different look. Admittedly I’ve grown cynical of the “TRIPLLE A “ category if there is one and to be fair Ubisoft are not the only ones doing this.
You just described 90% of Ubisoft's AAA games.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

- Enemies spawning endlessly out of nowhere during alerts
- waves of enemies are much larger than in previous games, takes forever thanks to point above
- stealth gameplay is extremely unreliable thanks to wonky AI and geometry
- Endless helicopters
- different ammo types that add nothing but frustration in combat encounters
- severely limited in weapon because you need to prepare for all kinds of situations restricting your freedom
- over reliant on menus for weapon switching
- companions are useless
- World is level-gated and there's enemy level scaling making leveling up feel pointless
- extremely limited in overall innovation; it feels like you've played the game already before you even actually start playing
- gear options are dogshit
- bugs and jank all over the place
- useless base building that seems like low-effort busiwork

When he said this game seemed more like a Just Cause iteration than a Far Cry game I was done. Thanks ShillUp, you saved me 70 bucks.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This main menu theme has major Witcher 3 vibes to it.

This inventory item giving you different skills thing sounds annoying without being able to swap between sets quickly, I wonder if they can/will add that post launch, like GoT did and that makes it a way better game imo.

Is it really that annoying to fight enemies with suboptimal gear? As in they are damage sponges? That something that instantly turned me off of New Dawn.

No. They actively encourage you to carry weapons with different ammo types and there are ammo benches everywhere AND they aren't immune to certain bullets it just takes a minute.

Below is Polygon's "review". As a Cuban I disagree with everything the reviewer say and I haven't even played the game. What they called tropes I call reality. For example my friends and I switch between Spanish and English on the fly mid sentence all the fucking time, so does most Cubans I know, so that's not a trope. They also wanted the game to be uber political. Polygon just being Polygon.

MrTentakel

Hmm, some Gaffers seem to be cherry picking the negative comments from the outliers.

Looking at the first page of this thread Far Cry gets 4 out of 5 from most reviewers. That's a pretty darn solid score.
-More of the same -> great!
-Not political enough for Polygon -> great!
-Beautiful Setting (Yara) -> great!
-Technical issues -> meeh
-Different ammo types ->meeh
-Respawning enemies -> WTF? Nope!

Alebrije

There's enough people out there who enjoy the gameloop to make Ubi a ton of money, so it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for them to change the formula. New IP would be the way for that. With that said, the puzzling part for me is why do they keep NOT fixing the actual issues like f.ex. the AI and AI spawning (well, I guess it's because people buy it anyway, so they don't have to..).

That's the score I'd give your contribution.
AI is a major problem and affects the fun factor because once you know how to attack a post or base basically the rest are the same...

Its a shame that a once nice IP has not seen improvements over time.

Vaelka

I've never understood why people think that Giancarlo is such an intimidating villain.
He always just came across as silly to me, I actually did want to see more of him tho in Breaking Bad his story imo felt rushed.
But not because he was an intimidating villain.
But whenever he tries to act tough and intimidating it just doesn't to me I dunno why just being calm and having a frowny face equates to being scary.

He plays more emotional roles far better imo.

Last edited:

Venza

Banned
I’m going to wait until it’s $20 to buy it. I was disappointed with 5 and this isn’t changing the formula or adding anything worthwhile.

Topher

Gold Member
Prey went up against:

BotW
Persona 5
Mario Odyssey
Horizon Zero Dawn
Cuphead
Divinity OS 2
Nier Automata
Hollow Knight
and more....

Deathloop is going up against:

uh....

Psychonauts 2
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Returnal
Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
Hitman 3
Tales of Arise
Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Resident Evil: Village
etc

Nothing close to what Prey was up against, but Deathloop is hardly alone

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I really enjoy the loop of Far Cry games but I'll take the advice from Karak Karak and wait for a sale. Thankfully Ubisoft games go on sale very quickly. I can almost guarantee it will be in whatever Fall sale the consoles and PC stores have. Probably even a deeper sale when December rolls around.

Last edited:

Hey Blinkin

My copy from Amazon isn't supposed to arrive until Monday but I'm gonna pick this up in store tomorrow or digitally. I'm ready to blow some shit up the way only Far Cry knows how!

Arun1910

FC3,4,5 and New Dawn were basically reskins… looks like we have another, which is unfortunate in that regard

Fredrik

Psychonauts 2
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Returnal
Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
Hitman 3
Tales of Arise
Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Resident Evil: Village
etc

Nothing close to what Prey was up against, but Deathloop is hardly alone
And Metroid Dread! Just saw the reviews, as someone who still holds Super Metroid as the best game of all time all other games I’ve played this year suddenly got a new very serious competitor.

dEvAnGeL

Far Cry games are like FIFA games, if you expect anything new and revolutionary you're in for disappointment, the people that like the franchise and enjoy it will have an amazing time with it, the game will sell like crazy and Ubisoft won't give a shit about reviews.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Below is Polygon's "review". As a Cuban I disagree with everything the reviewer say and I haven't even played the game. What they called tropes I call reality. For example my friends and I switch between Spanish and English on the fly mid sentence all the fucking time, so does most Cubans I know, so that's not a trope. They also wanted the game to be uber political. Polygon just being Polygon.

Pleasing the woke crowd, upsetting mentally healthy people. Both bring clicks.

Connxtion

Hmm, some Gaffers seem to be cherry picking the negative comments from the outliers.

Looking at the first page of this thread Far Cry gets 4 out of 5 from most reviewers. That's a pretty darn solid score.
I hope so I spent 90£ on it 😂

Though I wish there was an editor, can hope it’s added later down the road.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Oh boy, I was rolling my eyes at this thinking "Why the hell would you swap between English and Spanish words mid sentence!" I also thought it was a trope; wasn't aware it was something done outside of movies and games.

How can this score worse than fc4 when it is probably a more refined game? I don't believe for a second that troy fucking baker pagan min is a better villain than giancarlo esposito...

It is hardly scoring "worse." Both games are firmly in the 80 range of games. FC4 barely edges it. As for why. . .FC6 is the fourth iteration in the "new Far Cry" model it - so far - it isn't iterating on the core in meaningful ways; base assaulting is more varied with better laid out bases, gunplay is quite a bit snappier and the gun customization system seems more flexible. We're still playing Far Cry though and so reviewers are taxing the game for that.

Top Bottom