• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favourite kind of rpg Action versus Turn Based

Best kind of RPG

• Action RPG

Votes: 112 47.9%
  • Turn Based

Votes: 122 52.1%

• Total voters

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
My friends this is the day where we discuss which is better

Action RPG

Dragons Dogma
Starfield
Monster Hunter
Elden Ring

elden-ring-ps5-ps4-performance.large.jpg

Starfield-Site_raqZ76O.jpg

Turn Based RPG

Final Fantasy 7 PS2
Mario and Rabbids
Balders Gate
Octopath Traveler

mario-rabbids-kingdom-battle-3.jpg

ss_dbc438ced67fd34e81071d50ccc39f7101b7b1f0.1920x1080.jpg

Labadal

I like both, but my preference is turn-based.

Edit: But where do we put real-time With Pause?

Some of my favorites in each category.

Action:
Piranha Bytes games, especially Gothic 1/2, and Risen.
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls (Salt and Sanctuary, a 2D Soulsvania)
The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, but not actually for its combat.
Dragon's Dogma gas very cool combat. I love the fact that you can climb on monsters.
Some of the Tales games have really fun combat.
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, despite its combat.

Turn-based:
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. While I don't love this for its combat, I love it for everything else.
Final Fantasy Tactics probably has my favorite turn-based combat out there.
Final Fantasy V. Not my favorite Final Fantasy (those are VI and IX), but I always have fun with the job system.
The Temple of Elemental Evil. While some fights can be repetitive, the combat itself, and all systems present are unmatched in turn-based rpgs.
Divinity: Original Sin for its flexibility.
Jagged Alliance 2 is probably one of the best tactical rpgs out there.

There's a lot more for both types of games that I could add, but this is just an example that both types can produce excellent games.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I probably would prefer action RPGs if they were done better than what they are. Most are just 2 buttons being mashed. It’s ridiculous that most turn based RPGs have more “action” in them than the action RPGs themselves.

I always dreamed of a fighter rpg. Random battles occur and it turns to a fighting game. Where at first you start with basic punches/kicks and later through leveling up you gain fireballs/combos and whatnot. More health in your meter etc. Eventually gaining maybe summons that look like ultimate finishers. My dream…

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I respect my turn based friends but I donts understand them

these games are likes reading jarpanese to me what the you have to push a button then waits?

speak_english_snl.gif

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Turn based is awesomenwhen you actually have to do stuff like move around on a map and position your characters, keep your spell casters out of range, try to use ranged attacks to take out the squishy guys in the back, surround your enemies, lure them out into a disadvantageous position, charge in hoping to finish off a weakened enemy without them having an opportunity to counter. Etc. etc.

When it’s just the standard DQ/FF “you stand on one side, enemies stand on the other, and you take turns hitting each other” it’s boring as hell. I used to love that crap back in the day but I find it so damn boring and repetitive nowadays.

I don’t even consider those the same type of battle system. They have basically nothing in common aside from the fact that they’re not real-time.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I like both but prefer action-rpg. Turn based is cool too but I need to be in the right mood whenever I'm playing. DQ11 was the last I tried and it was excellent. Sunk over 100 hours into it. However, with games like Elden Ring and Dragon's Dogma, I've put in over 400 hours and counting 👌

Elitro

Voted turn based because overall i like more turn based games. But actually im cool with both, Elden Ring is a superb gaming experience and so was WoW back in the day.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
My friends this is the day where we discuss which is better

Action RPG

Dragons Dogma
Starfield
Monster Hunter
Elden Ring

elden-ring-ps5-ps4-performance.large.jpg

Starfield-Site_raqZ76O.jpg

Turn Based RPG

Final Fantasy 7 PS2
Mario and Rabbids
Balders Gate
Octopath Traveler

mario-rabbids-kingdom-battle-3.jpg

ss_dbc438ced67fd34e81071d50ccc39f7101b7b1f0.1920x1080.jpg
Games like Diablo 4 and Grim Dawn are considered ARPG's
Games like Starfield and Dragon's Dogma are Fantasy RPG's or just Western RPG's- WRPG's
Games like Xenoblade and FF16 are real time JRPG's
Games like Rabbids and Octopath Traveller are Turn-based RPG
Games like Chrono Trigger are Turn-based JRPG's
Games like Baldur's Gate 3 and Pillars of Eternity are isometric hybrid WRPG's (and be played in real-time or turn-based)

There are basically so many variants, and almost every game has some sort of RPG elements.

Mozzarella

When it comes to Roleplaying games, Turn based is more grounded and mechanically deep and balanced, so it wins, its better for sure.
Action type of combat may be more fun and enjoyable, it is for me since the majority of turn based ones tend to be dull with few exceptions like Larian games, Action is more engaging and fun, but its also inferior and less fitting for the genre.

Guilty_AI

I'll just take a well designed rpg combat system regardless of it being turn-based or action-base. So many get it wrong, especially in the action-based portion of the bus.

Voted turn-based to annoy OP.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Diablo like ARPG is king but a dog water ARPG like FF16 is trash.

Turn based is always consistent and peaks with games like Persona and Octopath IMO. Baldurs Gate 3 is actually quite boring combat wise. It is just a means to an end.

Rat Rage

How about we start another topic discussin which is better: FPS or Racing Games? Strategy RPGs or MMOs? Music or Movies? Steak or Sweets? Oranges or Apples?
What's there to discuss, LOL? It's just personal preference... :messenger_grinning_sweat:

HL3.exe

Immersive Sim RPG's, they fall mostly on 'action' but I actually dislike most action RPGs.

They usually don't have a lot of actual roleplaying, and waste my time with stat and loot grinding

Aenima

Both. It really depends how good the combat system is. Thers good and bad turn based combat systems, and good and bad action combat systems.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Turn based, but I enjoy action, it's just a different kind of enjoyment.

Turn allows significantly more control and strategy, action is more like "real" combat, as in you react on the fly.

My issue with many "action" RPG's is they lack "RPG", so they tend to just be action games.

Pejo

I think the question would be better framed in a single series that has had both, like FF. Like how can you compare Elden Ring to BG3 for instance, just based off of the battle system without letting other game design choices in on the equation.

From a viewpoint of FF which has had many both turn-based and more action-y combats, I will say I vastly prefer Turn Based (ATB actually).

Fredrik

Impossible question, it’s completely different type of genres. I wouldn’t want Elden Ring to be turn-based and Baldur Gate 3 to be realtime. Not interested in a realtime Final Fantasy either and can’t say that the idea of a turn-based The Elder Scrolls is appealing.

Myths

FF12, the type that lets you pause if you want or let things continue assuming you have setup some commands for basic, menial tasks (including for AI party members).

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I prefer real-time with pause or turned based over most action rpgs. There are a select few that are just really good though.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
My favorite battle systems are neither turn based nor action:

Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII
Xenoblade series

Not sure if there’s even a name for that type of thing

Pejo

My favorite battle systems are neither turn based nor action:

Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII
Xenoblade series

Not sure if there’s even a name for that type of thing
I mean that's all still mostly ATB turn based, but in XB and XII you can just walk around while you wait for your "turn" to act. XIII is just kind of an automatic turn-based battle system.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Action.

Turn based is archaic and needs to remain in the past.
I think peoples should still haves them if they like them but they are ancient artifacts to me

I'll just take a well designed rpg combat system regardless of it being turn-based or action-base. So many get it wrong, especially in the action-based portion of the bus.

Voted turn-based to annoy OP.
Nope I am the spirit of gaming if people here like turn based more the gamers have spoken more people buy action wont charnge my opinion

I am happy with eithers votes my friends

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I mean that's all still mostly ATB turn based, but in XB and XII you can just walk around while you wait for your "turn" to act. XIII is just kind of an automatic turn-based battle system.
Would checkers be a “turn-based” game if like… you just have to wait at least 3 seconds between each move and you don’t have to wait for your opponent to move? I think not, but that might be pretty fun…

I think maybe you can make the case that ”under the hood” FF XII is not materially much different from the earlier ATB games, which were kind of a streamlined pseudo-turn-based system. But the others? Nah.

XIII all the actions play out simultaneously in real time, nothing waits for you, and timing is absolutely crucial. You can interrupt the ATB at any time and use the moves you have queued, you can paradigm shift at any time, and timing both of those just right is key to succeeding.

Xenoblade is not even remotely anything like turn-based. You move and position yourself in real-time, you have a bunch of moves with their own independent cooldowns + you can use them whenever you want if they’re ready, timing + chaining your moves together is crucial…

Pejo

Would checkers be a “turn-based” game if like… you just have to wait at least 3 seconds between each move and you don’t have to wait for your opponent to move? I think not, but that might be pretty fun…

I think maybe you can make the case that ”under the hood” FF XII is not materially much different from the earlier ATB games, which were kind of a streamlined pseudo-turn-based system. But the others? Nah.

XIII all the actions play out simultaneously in real time, nothing waits for you, and timing is absolutely crucial. You can interrupt the ATB at any time and use the moves you have queued, you can paradigm shift at any time, and timing both of those just right is key to succeeding.

Xenoblade is not even remotely anything like turn-based. You move and position yourself in real-time, you have a bunch of moves with their own independent cooldowns + you can use them whenever you want if they’re ready, timing + chaining your moves together is crucial…
Fair and well thought out points. I think you hit the nail on the head in that ATB itself is not really "turn based" in literal terms. Even as far back as FFIV when it was introduced, if you stood there and didn't act (and didn't use the "wait" option), the enemy would just keep going and kill you. So I guess the better point is that I like strategic combat more than action/reflexive combat, specifically in the frame of JRPGs.

Diablo like ARPG is king but a dog water ARPG like FF16 is trash.

Turn based is always consistent and peaks with games like Persona and Octopath IMO. Baldurs Gate 3 is actually quite boring combat wise. It is just a means to an end.

Eh. Diablo (as much as I liked 3 on Switch) is braindead next to Baldur's Gate and its ilk. It has neither the entertaining quick pace of other action games proper (i.e. platformers, Metroidvanias, other adventure-style games) nor the planning/thought of other RPGs or turn based games. It's a skinner box.

Rhazkul

I respect my turn based friends but I donts understand them

these games are likes reading jarpanese to me what the you have to push a button then waits?

Turn based games are entirely cerebral and that's why it's fun for some and boring for others..
When you execute your plan and get to watch the ingeniuty of your strategy, that's when the dopamine rush kicks in. It's a different kind of feel since there's no adrenaline or reflexes involved and older gamers will appreciate these chess-like games. I know i do because i really can't stomach fast and stressful action oriented games anymore (except Souls-like games).
That being said some of my favs:

Divinity 2
Into The Breach
Pillars of Eternity 1+2
Slay the Spire
Monster Train
Ring of Pain
Darkest Dungeon 1
And of course Baldur's Gate 3

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I probably would prefer action RPGs if they were done better than what they are. Most are just 2 buttons being mashed. It’s ridiculous that most turn based RPGs have more “action” in them than the action RPGs themselves.

I always dreamed of a fighter rpg. Random battles occur and it turns to a fighting game. Where at first you start with basic punches/kicks and later through leveling up you gain fireballs/combos and whatnot. More health in your meter etc. Eventually gaining maybe summons that look like ultimate finishers. My dream…
Kind of like Street Fighter 6 World Tour Mode or Absolver?

KXVXII9X

I can never really answer these because there is such a difference between certain kinds of turn based games.

I can't really get into the traditional turn based games like Dragon Quest, Pokémon, or RPGmaker like games where it is the standard formula so most times I would chose Action RPG gameplay.

But when you start building on top of it is where turn-based gameplay becomes more engaging more enjoyable. Just having the dodge and timing mechanics of the Mario and Luigi RPG and Earthbound/UnderTale games already adds a ton more engagement.

Then you have tactical RPGs/SRPGs that add positioning and strategy. Even tactical games differ greatly from XCOM to Fire Emblem to Valkyrie Chronicles. Something like Baldur's Gate 3/Divinity Original Sin 2 has a seamless transition from combat gameplay to out of combat gameplay they are intertwined. It is very different than a standard turn based game and other tactical games for that reason alone.

Action RPGs also vary greatly and like turn based games it depends. Often, I find the RPG aspects are more of a hindrance to action oriented gameplay due to tying everything to stats. The pros of action combat is not needing to be tied to numbers going up or down. Shooting someone in the head should be fatal or near fatal. The rules should be consistent and not rely on stats. This goes for gear and things like critical hits and applying status afflictions.

lyan

Lightning Returns?

Top Bottom