• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favourite kind of rpg Action versus Turn Based

Best kind of RPG

• Action RPG

Votes: 112 47.9%
  • Turn Based

Votes: 122 52.1%

• Total voters

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It's like chess..

Joker GIF by Better Call Saul
chess??

giphy.gif

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It's like chess..

Joker GIF by Better Call Saul
Yes I remember the first time I played Final Fantasy VII. You have to make some very strategic and chess-like decisions, such as “do I keep on picking ‘attack’ until I win? Or do I use a spell and 1-shot the entire enemy party?”

It’s also very sophisticated because you pick things from a menu instead of using your skills and reflexes. It’s no wonder the gaijin dudebros don’t get it.

Sentenza

Yes I remember the first time I played Final Fantasy VII. You have to make some very strategic and chess-like decisions, such as “do I keep on picking ‘attack’ until I win? Or do I use a spell and 1-shot the entire enemy party?”

It’s also very sophisticated because you pick things from a menu instead of using your skills and reflexes. It’s no wonder the gaijin dudebros don’t get it.
Final Fantasy VII is NOT a good turn-based combat, though.
Not sure why you're acting as if it was standing in representation of the entire genre.

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

I can't really chose between the two. For turn base it's hit or miss depending on how the menu is implemented and some action rpgs play smoothly or extremely clunky like the original Drakengard.

Neilg

Gun to my head, I'd just pick either to get out of being in that weird life or death situation, but my preference is 100% based on what I'm up for and I like both equally.
Going from ff16 to BG3 then back to cyberpunk (it's an action/fps RPG...), then after this I'm going to play octopath and then ff7r2. Switching between the 2 styles is great for avoiding fatigue and they're all so good at the moment.

Griffon

Both can be great.

Action has a tendency to be faster paced so I'm a bit more forgiving with it. Mediocrity is easier to tolerate when it doesn't also waste your time.
If a game is turn-based, it better have one of the best damn battle system the earth has ever seen.

Last edited:

IAmRei

While i like them both, i like turn based more. More tactical, slower pace, my hand is getting old... But these days, turnbased rpg getting less and less appreciated in my circle, old gamer is left games, and mostly normies in my circle doesnt like slower pace. Even faster pace real time rpg is weird concept for them.

K2D

Banned

Yes, I want more strategically difficult turn based ff's. Yes, some gameplay scenarios demanded you either think rather than blindly mash buttons, if you didn't grind it out. Best gameplay experience was playing FFVIII without grinding and without intently breaking the game. Though breaking the game was also fun the first time around. Nothing challenging about it these days, but that hindsight and getting old.

Compared to action rpgs? Sure. Literally? Do I really have to explain myself? *sigh*

dezzy8

I probably would prefer action RPGs if they were done better than what they are. Most are just 2 buttons being mashed. It’s ridiculous that most turn based RPGs have more “action” in them than the action RPGs themselves.

I always dreamed of a fighter rpg. Random battles occur and it turns to a fighting game. Where at first you start with basic punches/kicks and later through leveling up you gain fireballs/combos and whatnot. More health in your meter etc. Eventually gaining maybe summons that look like ultimate finishers. My dream…
Street fighter 6 is made just for you.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Turn based is the worst shit of all time.

Oh yes, let me stand there and wait to be attacked. Then, you do the same good sir.

I’d rather play endless slow walk/talk sections in a game than a ridiculously dumb “turn based” rpg.

simpatico

In the realm of CRPGs, I will take Diablo combat all day over Balder's Gate. I played through nearly all of the original D&D RPGs, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Balder's Gate I and II. The combat just never got good. I was always leashed to a guide and it was more of an impediment than a feature. I'm waiting to catch BGIII on a much steeper sale because of this. I obviously don't think any of these are bad games, the combat just isn't for me.

Turn based JRPG combat is a bit better and I can tolerate it a lot more.

Last edited:
In the realm of CRPGs, I will take Diablo combat all day over Balder's Gate. I played through nearly all of the original D&D RPGs, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Balder's Gate I and II. The combat just never got good. I was always leashed to a guide and it was more of an impediment than a feature. I'm waiting to catch BGIII on a much steeper sale because of this. I obviously don't think any of these are bad games, the combat just isn't for me.

Really? Diablo combat is brain dead.

Paasei

Turn based gets really boring after a while. I don’t mind it at first, but once I find the setup/build that works well for me it will only become tedious and slow. It’s the only reason that prevented me from buying Baldur’s Gate 3. I know I’ll like everything about it, apart from the combat.

Turn-based strategy RPGs are the best:

Ring of Red
Vandal Hearts
Valkyrie Chronicles series
Front Mission
Super Robot Taisen: OG series
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre

I could go on and on and on.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Turn based is actually based like LUNAR!

I almost want to say action rpgs shouldn't exist 90% of them the gameplay completely sucks or are jank as hell
I can't even think of any I really like offhand and play a lot of games....

Last edited:

This is like shitting on action games because all you played is Musou.

Sentenza

BaldUr's Gate 1 and 2 aren't even turn-based games to begin with.
Unlike the third one, which uses an entirely different combat system and a different iteration of the ruleset.

Oh yes, let me stand there and wait to be attacked. Then, you do the same good sir.

I’d rather play endless slow walk/talk sections in a game than a ridiculously dumb “turn based” rpg.

Are people in this thread writing stupid shit on purpose at this point?

Last edited:

Sentenza

bloodborne
dargons dogma
elden ring
monster hunter
dark souls
skyrim
morrowind

nier automata
witcher 3
demons souls
cyberpunk
Some of these things are not like the others (and a portion of this list is actively bad or unremarkable when it comes to combat, incidentally).

EDIT - well, C cartman414 anticipated me.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Yes, why wait for your turn when playing checkers. Just flip the board to win, its so much more realistic.

Hudo

Fun Fact: Diablo 1 is still turn-based behind the scenes, just that the times between turns is so small that it feels like real-time combat. They apparently did it this way because they didn't have much time to change it after Blizzard told Brevik's team to change it to real-time (Diablo 1 was supposed to be a turn-based roguelike) and this was the simplest solution that just worked.

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/08/war-stories-how-diablo-was-almost-a-turn-based-strategy-game/

Sentenza

Fun Fact: Diablo 1 is still turn-based behind the scenes, just that the times between turns is so small that it feels like real-time combat. They apparently did it this way because they didn't have much time to change it after Blizzard told Brevik's team to change it to real-time (Diablo 1 was supposed to be a turn-based roguelike) and this was the simplest solution that just worked.

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/08/war-stories-how-diablo-was-almost-a-turn-based-strategy-game/
The "logic" behind it may be based on short and quick turns, but that doesn't make the game turn-based. It plays in real-time no matter how you may look at it.

Another fun fact: Baldur's gate (1) was almost a turn-based game... Or at least that's what Ray Muzyka (one of the "Doctors") wanted it to be to be faithful to its D&D sources.
Then one guy in the dev team of the early Bioware that was obsessed with RTS started throwing a tantrum about the fact that he didn't like turn-based games, that RTS were the new hot shit and with the help of the publisher managed to convince the rest of the team to switch to real-time with pause.

Thanks a lot, useless wanker. You almost deserve your honorary NeoGAF account.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This is like shitting on action games because all you played is Musou.
I’ve played countless turn based JRPGs. I used to love that stuff. They’re deep as a puddle and require only the most basic strategy. Use the element that can hurt this enemy, heal the guy with low HP, don’t attack if they’re doing their counter attack stance, etc.

At best they might crank up the difficulty and make it super punishing if you fuck up. And in those cases usually the strategy is in how you put together your party and prepare, learning each enemy’s elemental weakness and what debuffs they aren’t immune to, etc. it isn’t so much about making clever and interesting choices during the battles themselves… which really sucks when you might fight 500-1000 battles over 50 hours.

If you like that stuff, fine. Don’t try to tell me that they’re all complex and sophisticated.

Hudo

The "logic" behind it may be based on short and quick turns, but that doesn't make the game turn-based. It plays in real-time no matter how you may look at it.

Another fun fact: Baldur's gate (1) was almost a turn-based game... Or at least that's what Ray Muzyka (one of the "Doctors") wanted it to be to be faithful to its D&D sources.
Then one guy in the dev team of the early Bioware that was obsessed with RTS started throwing a tantrum about the fact that he didn't like turn-based games, that RTS were the new hot shit and with the help of the publisher managed to convince the rest of the team to switch to real-time with pause.

Thanks a lot, useless wanker. You almost deserve your honorary NeoGAF account.
Are you OK? You don't seem to have a lot of fun.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Both.

Action RPG if it's just a single character I can run around and mash buttons (Diablo, ES, Mass effect, heck Ultima Underworld etc...).

Turn based RPG if it's party based. I still got good enough reflexes to do well in sports and shooters as I can focus on one character (though getting older and skills surely dropping). But kudos to any gamers who can do well in real time RPGs, RTS, or war sims handling multiple characters or army groups well. I was never good at that. Those kinds of games I need turn based so I can methodically think about how to command multiple shit one at a time.

Last edited:

evanft

Turn-based can work well with a heavy dose of strategy and positional gameplay. Something like XCOM or other tactical RPGs. Turn-based games that are just a menu where you select actions should have died back on the PS1.

Shut0wen

I love turned based ganes to bits, fire emblem, triangle strategy to dragon quest but the best rpg ive ever played is xenoblade chronicles 1 and 2, fuck final fantasy

Hudo

Are you drunk? I'm having the time of my life blasting bullshit.
Nah, I was just shitposting as well. And your reply seemed a bit strong, that's all. But maybe I misinterpreted. If so: No worries.

Fun fact: I explained the same story of BG1 and BG2's combat in another thread in the past, when I was explaining why real-time with pause is the worst combat system ever invented.

ungalo

Action RPG is a catch-all term that stopped making sense to me more than 10 years ago.

But if i have to answer i'd say easily action RPG because it covers such a wide range of games in the mind of most people. Games that really don't have much in common actually, some are RPGs in real time, other are action games with RPG coating, with many nuances in between. If one of the two would disappear it would be worse if it was Action RPG.

I think design wise it's easier to make a playful system with turn based. I think those systems are easily deemed more tactical at first glance. But real time is something that appeals more to me for what video game is, an interactive medium tied to technology. Turn based combats are often very closed and separated from other components of the game, and rely less on interactions with the world.

Last edited:
Top Bottom