• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 2017 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, March 7th

Mrbob

Best January ever was not any accomplishment with previous January numbers... 157k was low no matter what MS says to you via PR.

Without new releases, price cut/deals XB1 trends to be down yoy in 2017 until holidays.

PS4 trends to be down this year too but the base number is way high than XB1.
Easy to manipulate percentages without knowing hard numbers.

Edit: This was an incredibly insulting post by you.
I'm very sorry, I didn't mean to mock your position, only contradict it. I do see that how I stated my argument could be interpreted as "you're dumb if you think otherwise" though, so I sincerely apologize. I'll edit the post to preserve my point, but make it clear that your contradictory take isn't risible or stupid.

cakely

it's the tone of the comments that are being made here
some people can express their thoughts about different matters in a calm and objective way. other more often than not sound very invested and overstepping.

UHD and BC are as irrelevant or not, like all the Ps4 niche exclusives

I agree. Some posters here do sound very invested.

Best January ever was not any accomplishment with previous January numbers... 157k was low no matter what MS says to you via PR.

Without new releases, price cut/deals XB1 trends to be down yoy in 2017 until holidays.

PS4 trends to be down this year too but the base number is way high than XB1.

What were the previous januarys?

I agree. Some posters here do sound very invested.

What are you even agreeing with? The comment makes absolutely no sense.

How does something like Nier remotely equate to a feature set on a console? Why are we even comparing the impact of SW with the impact of a feature set?

BC and UHDs impact on GAF was compeletely overstated. And to a lesser degree, the XB1S with it's newfound "momemtum." We don't have to pretend that people's speculation and predictions that turned out to be false or not entirely true or not so now that we have a more complete picture.

sirronoh

I go for a 10 mile run and come back to a finally active thread only to see accusations about console warring that's not actually happening.

Look, we know Xbox won July 2016. The Xbox One S came out in August and Xbox won that month as well. They also won September and October leading up to the launch of the PS4 Pro. So that's 4 months of momentum right there and that's all good for MS.

When the PS4 Pro launched in November, many people suspected the PS4 would win November and by a lot. That didn't quite happen as PS4 managed to only outsell Xbox by 100K. You could argue that's not a bad result for Xbox.

In December, the gap was even closer at 57K (1568K for PS4 vs 1511K for Xbox). That's still not a bad result for Xbox because even though they lost, the gap was even closer than November and at that point, the PS4 Pro was on the market.

Going into January, if Xbox managed to get the gap even closer or outright win, that would show Xbox has generated and sustained momentum from the Xbox One S through the holidays and into the "offseason", months they traditionally have done very poorly in.

However, in a very slow month, the gap actually widened (estimated PS4 around 222K and Xbox around 157K). A consolation prize for Xbox is that at least they had their best January ever but honestly, their best January ever didn't come close to PS4 in January and PS4 was down YOY. My interpretation of January's result is that Xbox's momentum was slowing down -- not that it was gone altogether -- but that it was slowing down.

Now, if February is down YOY for Xbox, I would further conclude that their momentum is now gone. If that's the case, it only gets worse from here as PS4 has attracted all the media attention so far this year from a slew of console exclusive, critically acclaimed games and we have more to come in the form of Persona in April (and Nier and Horizon just dropped).

None of this is console warring.

I'm just looking at the little bit of information that we have from the past several months and stating my opinion based on those facts. Microsoft went from touting #1 in NPD to YOY growth when they could no longer claim they were #1 and now they're on growth in Xbox live usage. We know they can't say they're #1 so is there a reason why they can't say they're up YOY? I'd bet there is.

cakely

What are you even agreeing with? The comment makes absolutely no sense.

How does something like Nier remotely equate to a feature set on a console? Why are we even comparing the impact of SW with the impact of a feature set?

BC and UHDs impact on GAF was compeletely overstated. And to a lesser degree, the XB1S with it's newfound "momemtum." We don't have to pretend that people's speculation and predictions that turned out to be false or not entirely true or not so now that we have a more complete picture.

I agree with you completely and I think making that comparison is a sign that you're too invested.

It was a sarcasm fail on my part.

So we are saying this january was insignificant because?

152k was likely a result of the fire sale 2014. Which last year didn't have. Then the Xbox was having a downward spiral until the S came out. Which explained the 132k. I think ju,ping up past it's fire sale numbers without a firesale, as well as being consistently up over the last few months shows that this January was good for Xbox.

ethomaz

Banned
So we are saying this january was insignificant because?

152k was likely a result of the fire sale 2014. Which last year didn't have. Then the Xbox was having a downward spiral until the S came out. Which explained the 132k. I think ju,ping up past it's fire sale numbers without a firesale, as well as being consistently up over the last few months shows that this January was good for Xbox.
Insignificant? Where did you read that?

These are all abissal sales... best January ever with all Januaries being terrible lol

mejin

I think Xbox is in a tight spot cause Switch is now an option. Good features won't make up for the lack of good new games.

Welfare

However, in a very slow month, the gap actually widened (estimated PS4 around 222K and Xbox around 157K). A consolation prize for Xbox is that at least they had their best January ever but honestly, their best January ever didn't come close to PS4 in January and PS4 was down YOY. My interpretation of January's result is that Xbox's momentum was slowing down -- not that it was gone altogether -- but that it was slowing down.

That was just the number 1 predictor. Through ordering everyone's predictions the results are estimated to be

PS4: 211K
XB1: 157K

Gap: 54K

So the gap actually shrunk from December (57K).

sirronoh

That was just the number 1 predictor. Through ordering everyone's predictions the results are estimated to be

Yep, I read through that thread which explained how the numbers were derived. When I wrote the previous post, I was on the fence about whether I should focus on the gap in terms of unit sales or the gap in terms of percentage but I was getting tired at that point and didn't want to explain the gap in terms of a percentage. In hindsight, I should've probably focused on percentages because that's the bigger issue. ~50K gap in December when 3 million consoles are sold is close but ~50K gap in January when less than 400K consoles are sold is not close. On top of the fact that averaging 150K every January in itself is not great as ethomaz pointed out. That was the point I wanted to get across but my mistake for not taking the time to explain that.

N.Domixis

Banned

Can someone explain how these numbers were calculated if no one ever gave them?

Welfare's numbers for Jan are good.

Januarys are generally slow, and completely unpredictive of full year results, especially in a year like this.

No one element of a console's complete product offering can be individually analyzed to determine whether or not it was meaningful definitively.

At least say "I think BC isn't meaningful" and not "BC isn't meaningful" because you don't know just how impactful it really is in a vacuum.

Can someone explain how these numbers were calculated if no one ever gave them?
While we don't know the actual numbers, we do know the guesses of the top 5 predictors for January. We also know that PS4 had to be less than 230k (because down YOY), and Xbox One had to be between 150k and 239k (because best January ever, but also below PS4). All this gives us a parametric formula, to which there are very few solutions. PS4 must be 211 or 212 (the former more likely), and Xbox One must be 156 or 157 (the latter more likely).

Elandyll

Banned

Actually the Gap didn't shrink. It increased at a slightly slower pace.

In Xbox's #1 market.

How did the 360 do at the same point in time, just for curiosity's sake?

Mergesort

Jan numbers were calc from the prediction ranking but now the ranking will only show the winner.

I know this is just the prediction thread, but when do we get real NPD numbers? You can't say someone won, if you can't compare the prediction to real numbers, right?

ethomaz

Banned
I know this is just the prediction thread, but when do we get real NPD numbers? You can't say someone won, if you can't compare the prediction to real numbers, right?
The prediction compares with real number but the numbers are not public.

Who do the ranking receive the numbers just for the ranking... not to share to anybody.

You have the choice to believe or not in the ranking but the numbers won't be shared.

AmyS

And Daytona USA 2 will turn 20 years old (without being released at home) by the time this garbage that we did not ask for is released.

Thanks Sega.

Welfare

Actually the Gap didn't shrink. It increased at a slightly slower pace.

In Xbox's #1 market.

How did the 360 do at the same point in time, just for curiosity's sake?

I meant the gap between the two was smaller in January than December.

Actually, I am going to chalk this up to the PS3 Slim effect. PS3 slim was a much needed restart for the console in 2009 and it even outsold the 360 in September, October, and December.

September
PS3: 491,800
Xbox 360: 352,600

October
PS3: 320,600
Xbox 360: 249,700

November
Xbox 360: 819,500
PS3: 710,400

December
PS3: 1,360,000
Xbox 360: 1,310,000

Then in 2010 the 360 went back to outselling the PS3 as early as January.

January
Xbox 360: 332,800
PS3: 276,900

February
Xbox 360: 422,000
PS3: 360,100

March
Xbox 360: 338,400
PS3: 313,900

The PS3 slim was not enough to continue outselling the 360 (which would later get its slim revision and Kinect) but it did improve sales from the previous year and even had its best Q1 at the time. The two brands have basically switched, hell the gap between the PS4/XB1 and PS3/360 in January 2010/2017 is basically the same.

Mergesort

The prediction compares with real number but the numbers are not public.

Who do the ranking receive the numbers just for the ranking... not to share to anybody.

You have the choice to believe or not in the ranking but the numbers won't be shared.

But there where monthly NPD threads before. Are those numbers not public anymore?

Mergesort

Numbers are not public since 2010 if I'm not wrong.

You get the numbers via leakers but these are not leaking anymore.

Read the last month prediction thread... if there is leak the ranking will be normal if not it will be only the winner to not calc the actual numbers.

Why is nobody leaking the numbers anymore? And who confirmes who guessed right/closest?

RexNovis

Banned
Well somebody sure seems agitated by analysis and logical conjecture. Fun fact: saying people didn't do something after they did exactly that doesn't make it any less true. Multiple people explained the flaws and baseless logical leaps in certain arguments. Shame that this seems to be the only thing that can get thes threads moving anymore.

For the record re: UHD Drive I was merely pointing out that I and others thought it would be a bigger factor than it appears it actually is so far. There were also those explaining that it wasn't as big of a selling point as many seemed to think like Abdiel. It wasn't my intention to stir up a war about the value of SW support versus OS/HW features. I see no point in such a comparison since it essentially impossible to determine the impact such software or features have on the general appeal or sales of HW. Please let's not be sidetracked from genuine discussion and analysis by silly improbable quibbles.

At least for March it's a safe assumption. Maybe over the next few months. Holiday is much tougher to guess at.

MS sure is in a tough spot then if all their games come out in the holidays this year.

Can't imagine XB1 being third place until fall NPD is a good image for them (sorta ala Wii U).

Bastables

Why is nobody leaking the numbers anymore?
The answer to your question is contained by the very fact that there were leakers.

NPD no longer wants the numbers public, as they sell their tracking numbers. It's pretty difficult to charge for numbers/analysis if the information is publicly available.

Think about the steps they would have taken to close off the leaks, because their initial reasons for halting public reporting on their numbers is still in effect..

ethomaz

Banned
Never mind.
Well I read :p

I understood you point and I believe your guess is probably way more accurate than mine ;)

The only doubt I have is who benefits from that because in any case I don't see how you have NPD like it was until 2010 can affect any business.

If the reason is because the digital grow but we are talking about console where it will never have digital sales... and games I don't see issue in share the TOP10 that usually is great.

PS. Just my thinking and I won't do nvm because aí already wrote it :p

MS sure is in a tough spot then if all their games come out in the holidays this year.

Can't imagine XB1 being third place until fall NPD is a good image for them (sorta ala Wii U).

With holiday sales now making up over 50% of the yearly hardware sales, i doubt they care that much for "preseason"

Funny how basically everything changed this gen. Before games were holiday and hardware was all year long.
Now games are all year long and hardware sales are more concentrated towards the holiday season

ethomaz

Banned
With holiday sales now making up over 50% of the yearly hardware sales, i doubt they care that much for "preseason"

Funny how basically everything changed this gen. Before games were holiday and hardware was all year long.
Now games are all year long and hardware sales are more concentrated towards the holiday season
I never lived this gen described here lol

Holiday always had strong sales compared with the rest of the year by a huge margin.

Games was always launched across all the year.

Since SNES at least.

Top Bottom