• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female game characters modeled after real-life actresses. What if that's just what the actress looks like without makeup?

kiphalfton

A lot of people say that female game characters, that have been modeled from some real-life actress, are ugly like 3/4 times. Or that the devs messed with the facial structure of the game model.

What if however that's actually what the actress looks like without makeup?

Contouring (?) or intricate makeup seems to act as an optical illusion, and make the actress look like she might have a narrower nose, more pronounced cheers, etc. whereas a game isn't modelling that.

I'm probably wrong, but when motion capture or photogrammetry images are taken, I imagine it maps facial features as x,y, z points. So mapping points on the face wouldn't register those fake features made by makeup. The end result is a character with a wide/long chin, or round face, or just plain average looking.

Fuz

Banned
-fxw8FQwIu_cHnmDyLoJtNywZY9Kw1DyrBEAvyt0ow7obBVzlJ64qlm1b7jdRsMjCACfIqVwz5bueDxdXR_0yuQzamQPAgvkP0RmpQ1QyxCfG5sv=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

Pidull

Considering most photos are touched up and altered... I wouldn't be surprised if there's some degree of truth.

At the same time, there's no way devs aren't able to adjust the sculpturing behind the imported photogrammetry models.

kiphalfton

I personally never liked scan faces in games because they always something off about them.

I personally like custom faces that most Japanese developers use for their games.....They less realistic but I don't know they feel more natural to me.

Final-Fantasy-7-Remake-Aerith-Cover.jpg
EDBQEZCW4AA_9iM.jpg

I would say part of the issue is asymmetry. Humans also don't have as sharp of features as anime-type characters.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
would say part of the issue is asymmetry. Humans also don't have as sharp of features as anime-type characters.
The problem is every game no matter the tech has imperfection and as you go more toward realism those imperfection become more obvious and show their ugly head.

I personally never liked scan faces in games because they always something off about them.

I personally like custom faces that most Japanese developers use for their games.....They less realistic but I don't know they feel more natural to me.

Final-Fantasy-7-Remake-Aerith-Cover.jpg
EDBQEZCW4AA_9iM.jpg
Final fantasy faces look more natural to you? LMAOOOOOOO. All those faces are plastic surgery faces.

Fantasy huh?

Plastic-surgery-Market-China.png

Real face >> after plastic surgery

Last edited:

Valt7786

Nah, its definitely done on purpose. Aloy was even changed from concept art where she actually looked feminine because one of the lead devs said "She'd cry if she broke a nail" because she looked like a girl. So they man'd her up.
It's purely western devs pandering to the blue hair twitter ragers and making sure they don't get articles written about them on shite like kotaku or polygon.

Danjin44

Final fantasy faces look more natural to you? LMAOOOOOOO. All those faces are plastic surgery faces.

Fantasy huh?
In video games they are in my opinion, like I said above, video games by nature have lots of imperfection and as faces goes more realistic those imperfection becomes more obvious.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Since devs will model characters after real life people, I don't see why it's so hard just to take the real recording or rotoscoped face and just add textures to it like blood, dirt, tattoos etc... Maybe the actor or actress won't allow pure representation on screen with a giant pay bump? Dont know.

Instead, they take the model and totally adjust it. What's the point? It's not like the model used is uber ugly or anything. They are typically decent looking or just normal folks. Just go with that.

Last edited:
In video games they are in my opinion, like I said above, video games by nature have lots of imperfection and as faces goes more realistic those imperfection becomes more obvious.
Its a hilarious opinion. Since final fantasy games have the worst facial expressions, voice matching, and all their characters looked caked up and completely unnatural.

They are extremely flirtatious and cutesy as if they were trying for you to donate to their twitch stream.

Would be interesting to know what the fairer sex have to say. It feels like there are lots of men screaming their lungs out on this topic.
To be honest, the end result doesn't even bother me. I just think it's weird that devs are willing to pick out an actual person to base their character on and then go the whole scanning, cleanup and retopology process only to end up with a character whose face barely resembles that of the original model. Why even bother?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
A better question is how do characters look without plastic. 🤭

The dragon quest girl on the left is the better of the two.

Can't hold a candle to Jade tho.

But I feel that in video games that's a genre where you can be what you wish you could be. Whether it's a busty babe or bara man. More pls.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Its a hilarious opinion. Since final fantasy games have the worst facial expressions, voice matching, and all their characters looked caked up and completely unnatural.

They are extremely flirtatious and cutesy as if they were trying for you to donate to their twitch stream.
51-DuUuXQW.gif

I prefer Final Fantasy faces over realistic one like you see in Control and Horizon.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
even if it was the case that those actresses really looked that ugly (it's not, they are way prettier than their in-game models) we don't have to be faithful when portraying them in video games.

Females in games and media are seldom "normal", their image is cultivated to look provocative and exceptional.

Same goes for males in games, but there's a far wider variety of males; being attractive isn't expected.

Danjin44

Kinda sounds like you want to

It’s ok bro, we all have kinks
So let me get this straight, to you guys the only reason people should want to see attractive characters in media is to “fuck” them, did I get that right?

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Games should have uglier people in them. You going through a war or demon invasion or some shit you shouldn't be looking like a GQ model the whole time.
Also to add onto this, the games industry has been trying to show people over the past two decades that they can make realistic blemishes, wrinkles, freckles, spots, etc and now you're all ironically asking them to make smoother faces.

Danjin44

You can prefer fake faces. The issue is that you called them more natural. Everyone has their kinks. Flower eyes and all.
It’s exactly why they are feel more natural in video games, to me realistic faces in video games always felt really weird and never looked right....it has nothing to do with “kinks”.

Last edited:
Top Bottom